Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Elephanthead posted:

It is not uncommon for the drywall to be hung by the builder and not finished in the garage since the finish is not required by code. Some DIY jocky spent a lot of time making a lot of work for you. Have you gotten some quotes to have a drywaller do the work? They are faster and better then you will be.

Not surprised unfortunately. Getting quotes is next on the list, just hoping it won't be too expensive. Thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Because of the hurricane, it sounds like we might be able to defer our mortgage payments for a few months. Is there a downside to this beyond the terms finishing 3 months later than originally thought? We’ve not lived here long and there’s some more improvements we’d like to make, and $5k in our pocket would certainly make that easier/faster.

Hey I'm late but the answer is it depends on how they defer the payments and your loan type.

If your loan is current and they are just pushing out your next due date by 3 months, and you have a schedule to schedule loan, then it's a cool deal. It's basically like your mortgage doesn't exist for 3 months.

If they are calculating the accrued interest for those 3 months and tacking it on to the end of the loan due at payoff then you will be paying an extra 3 months interest on your loan, only good if you really need a break from payments.

If you have a daily simple interest loan and they simply push back your due date then it is a horrible idea and you will likely pay nothing but interest (no principal) for your next several payments once you begin repaying. If more than half your payments go to interest each month then you could go YEARS before paying a single cent to principal as you catch up on all the accrued interest.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Sunshine89 posted:

I have a big field ant mound in my backyard, and nothing I do seems to get rid of it. They laughed at the ant spikes I placed around it. The mound is too deep for the expanding foam insecticides to reach the queen. Bombing it with Borax just killed the grass.

Do I call an exterminator, or are there some DIY solutions?

I use this stuff: http://www.bengal.com/fire_ants_product.html

It's worked on every type of ant so far. Not sure if it's available in Canada but it's worth trying to find.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Found water under my kitchen sink Sunday :sigh:

I start looking at it, go to test the rings holding the pipes in place, loving P-Trap falls right off. I'm dumb so it took me a couple of hours (and a trip to Home Depot) to figure out how to get the seal to sit right.

Now my loving guest toilet isn't flushing right after roots were cleared away about a month ago. gently caress me running.

I'm not sure if it's the roots coming back in or just a toilet clog.

:smith: Homeownership.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fuuuuuck, there's an animal trapped in my wall :gonk:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CloFan posted:

Fuuuuuck, there's an animal trapped in my wall :gonk:

Trapped or moving in?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wait for it to stop moving. And then wait for it to smell.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any opinions on interior paint brands to buy? I know to avoid cheap stuff, but that's about all I know.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Grumpwagon posted:

Any opinions on interior paint brands to buy? I know to avoid cheap stuff, but that's about all I know.

We did two rooms last year with this stuff http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-interior-paint/

I dunno a ton about paint but it still looks good, I'll probably use it again next time I paint something.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Grumpwagon posted:

Personally I'm sold on Sherwin-Williams after repainting a room last spring. As the other poster said, Benjamin-Moore is also a solid bet. I know at least Sherwin-Williams will have the occasional sale or coupon which brings the cost down.

Which variety you use depends on the application and expected wear. If you end up at a B&M retail store of one of the above, the sales folks should help direct you.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BEHR Premium Plus Ultra was Consumer Report's pick, with the non-ultra also recommended fairly well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So the wife and I finally decided to start replacing the posts on our old/slightly leaning wood fence. Queue digging around the first post to see if concrete was even used

Concrete was used! But it's about 2 feet in diameter around the post (which is basically a 4x4).

For gently caress's sake that seems like way too much concrete for a wood fence post. We're giving up and hiring a fencing contractor to just replace the whole thing with vinyl (for about $10k apparently, for the entire back yard)

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Thufir posted:

We did two rooms last year with this stuff http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-interior-paint/

I dunno a ton about paint but it still looks good, I'll probably use it again next time I paint something.

When we bought our house we tried the Benjamin Moore in one room and Behr in another. There was no comparison. The BM was way thicker, spread on easier, and you used less paint because you didn't have to touch up as much. I think it was only $5-10 more per gallon too. The rest of our house got painted in BM.

The only lovely thing was that there is just one store in our area that sells it and it's kind of far from us. But the lady who worked there and helped us pick out our colors said we could call our order in and she would leave it on her front stoop for us to pick up because she lived near our house!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Another vote for Benjamin Moore here, we did our whole house and it looks good.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Since we're talking about paint, Sherwin-Williams is having a 40% off sale ending tomorrow. Great timing since I just bought a sectional and need to get the living room painted.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Painting question... This is a hallway between the family room and front living room. To the left is the kitchen. Right are stairs going to the second floor. I'm not planning on painting the stairwell yet, since it's a huge two floor thing and I don't have the ladders and whatnot big enough for it. I want to paint the area I'm standing in, but I don't know what to do about the transition between where I'm standing that will be painted to the landing. I know it's going to be ugly no matter what I do, but I don't think I have a choice. Do I just drop a line from the ceiling bit on the right and leave it at that? Is there a more elegant way to do it that won't look so drastic? Any other ideas about it?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Panthrax posted:

Painting question...

Not an expert, but I think keeping a line where you suggested isn't an awful idea. Use painters tape so it's at least a clean line. If you want to get fancy maybe tack a simple piece of trim over the line so it kinda looks like it's "supposed" to be there. Will still look a bit wierd but will keep it more finished.

Edit: alternatively, just don't paint that wall at all. It looks like it's just the area around the hall entrance, right? That might draw less attention.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 23, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Panthrax posted:

Painting question... This is a hallway between the family room and front living room. To the left is the kitchen. Right are stairs going to the second floor. I'm not planning on painting the stairwell yet, since it's a huge two floor thing and I don't have the ladders and whatnot big enough for it. I want to paint the area I'm standing in, but I don't know what to do about the transition between where I'm standing that will be painted to the landing. I know it's going to be ugly no matter what I do, but I don't think I have a choice. Do I just drop a line from the ceiling bit on the right and leave it at that? Is there a more elegant way to do it that won't look so drastic? Any other ideas about it?

Keep that transition the same color as the stairwell. Anything else is going to be weird to look at until you get the rest of it painted.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Panthrax posted:

If it's a one-off project, just see if you can rent the ladder from a local supply company. Even from Home Depot a 20-mumble foot ladder is going to run you $30-40. Even if you just do that one wall and not the whole stairwell, doing the whole wall won't bug you like the line will.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I'm looking into replacing our thermostats since the ones we have are non programmable and ugly. We have 2 heat/AC units with separate thermostats. One supplies the main house, kitchen, bedrooms, etc. The other supplies the addition including the main family room and kids playroom which is where we spend most time.

I was debating on replacing the addition thermostat with a Nest/ecobee, since the motion sensor would detect when my wife or the kids are using the house/play area. My wife never turns off heat/ac if she's leaving so my thought was it might save some money. Anyone have good results in actually saving a decent amount to justify the initial expense? There's no incentive from my gas company to get a smart one.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

howdoesishotweb posted:

I'm looking into replacing our thermostats since the ones we have are non programmable and ugly. We have 2 heat/AC units with separate thermostats. One supplies the main house, kitchen, bedrooms, etc. The other supplies the addition including the main family room and kids playroom which is where we spend most time.

I was debating on replacing the addition thermostat with a Nest/ecobee, since the motion sensor would detect when my wife or the kids are using the house/play area. My wife never turns off heat/ac if she's leaving so my thought was it might save some money. Anyone have good results in actually saving a decent amount to justify the initial expense? There's no incentive from my gas company to get a smart one.

I've got a Nest. The motion sensor stuff, I can't comment on cause my wife is a work from home mom but it's really nice to realize it's uncomfortable in the house, switch apps on my phone or iPad and set it to something comfortable.

The away function works well but weirdly only seems to notice when my phone is gone, not hers. If you've got the money to toss down for it, I'd recommend it.

I've literally never worked with electricity stuff and was able to set it up in about 1hr (Finding breakers, testing\confirming power loss, wiring Nest, securing, turning breakers on)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Hi thread, long time no see. I've got an easement situation on my hands.

Background: it turns out there is a skinny lot between my house and my neighbor's house. I was contacted by the guy developing the lot today asking if I would grant him an easement to put a driveway on the outside of my fence for financial compensation. I told him my availability toward the end of the week and he asked if I could do anything sooner, so I'm meeting with him today in 5 hours.

I've done some base research and I'm not too worried about the situation, since from what I can tell I would not be liable for injuries on it.

So there's going to be some negotiation and I'm wondering what range I should be shooting for or if there's any type of typical calculation from this. I'd imagine the square footage fraction of my lot multiplied by land value of my lot (from tax records?) isn't quite realistic, since property isn't exchanging hands. It's on the outside of my fence, so I don't particularly care if he builds a driveway on it or not. On the other hand, it seems to be holding up his whole building operation (since he can't determine where anything is going until he knows what he's doing with the driveway), so I've got leverage there.

I don't plan on agreeing to a number today and won't let anything happen until the paperwork is in order, so it's not super urgent. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts or experiences in this area.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I personally have an Ecobee with a single zone furnace and the remote sensor is great because I have relatively wide variances between the thermostat and where I usually am during the day, it'll average out between them to keep me comfortable. The motion sensor also works pretty well, so if I am not adhering to the schedule it'll adjust accordingly. I am pretty predictable though, so that hasn't saved a ton of money.

A plain programmable thermostat will capture a lot of the savings simply by turning it down at night, but the extra comfort and convenience of a smart thermostat really justifies the cost to me at least.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Big Jesus posted:

I don't plan on agreeing to a number today and won't let anything happen until the paperwork is in order, so it's not super urgent. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts or experiences in this area.

Well do you want a house built there? I assume you are in a valuable area if they are doing infill housing. How much is your houses value going to be impacted by another house filling in vacant land? That is what you should ask for in compensation. What happens if I buy that house? (I am a bad neighbor). I would offer to buy the lot from him and flip the script, but I am a land hoarder.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Hi thread, long time no see. I've got an easement situation on my hands.

You should use a real estate attorney to help you out here and make sure you are fairly compensated and that the easement is correctly written. You will want a survey done to make sure everything is just right. Once granted and pavement is poured that's it. You want to have a sign off step between them staking the cement and them pouring it.

Edit:

The Big Jesus posted:

Can't afford/don't want to buy his land. Have no idea how to calculate how much another house being built next to mine would impact the value, but I don't expect it would be very significant.

This is why you want a real estate attorney. Even though you don't care you don't want any mysteries on your title in regards to this easement. They will also be able to help you out with pricing the easement, impact to property value (likely by telling you to have it appraised), writing up an offer letter, etc. Even if you don't plan to sell the place until you die, the house is going to be there and you should get paid. The builder is a business and has exactly zero feelings in regards to you or your property.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 24, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Can't afford/don't want to buy his land. Have no idea how to calculate how much another house being built next to mine would impact the value, but I don't expect it would be very significant.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Thermostat chat: I have an EcoBee3 with remote sensors in several rooms. It is cool and fun but it is basically a toy. I don't think that it will help me save any money over the programmable thermostat that it replaced. It does help with comfort somewhat in our tri-level house though. Check with your utility company- they might offer a rebate. Ours did, and combined with a deal on clearance units, I paid something like $85 for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

Have no idea how to calculate how much another house being built next to mine would impact the value, but I don't expect it would be very significant.

That seems really naive to me but I also don't know what I'm talking about. I think neighbor proximity is a huge part of decision making when people are house shopping.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

If it's a one-off project, just see if you can rent the ladder from a local supply company. Even from Home Depot a 20-mumble foot ladder is going to run you $30-40. Even if you just do that one wall and not the whole stairwell, doing the whole wall won't bug you like the line will.

Thanks. And you're right, it will bother me. Picked up an extra gallon of paint because if I'm going to do 200 sqft of wall, I might as well do the rest.

The Dave posted:

That seems really naive to me but I also don't know what I'm talking about. I think neighbor proximity is a huge part of decision making when people are house shopping.

Agreed. Plus, just because you don't care about that piece of property, someone else might. It's one thing to have a utility easement, it's another thing when a neighbor has a driveway on your land. What happens if it starts falling apart in 3 years, and the neighbor won't fix the driveway or something like that? Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth, and finding someone to sell your house to that will accept it sounds more difficult than not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panthrax posted:

Agreed. Plus, just because you don't care about that piece of property, someone else might. It's one thing to have a utility easement, it's another thing when a neighbor has a driveway on your land. What happens if it starts falling apart in 3 years, and the neighbor won't fix the driveway or something like that? Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth, and finding someone to sell your house to that will accept it sounds more difficult than not.

Fortunately there are people trained to deal with this exact situation!

H110Hawk posted:

You should use a real estate attorney

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thermostat chat: I have two Nests and I don't think they've saved me a goddamn penny over a 30 dollar thermostat because I can program a thermostat. But they do look nice and being wifi enabled is good because if I'm coming home early I can turn them on early.

They will save you some money if you're not capable of programming a digital thermostat but I also think their "learning" function is largely garbage and results in settings that don't make a lot of sense for most people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

scrubs season six posted:

The mini was mentioned by the landscape guy as being better able to deal with the slope than something like a bobcat.

The fence at the top can easily be taken down for access. it's 5.5' at the narrowest point with the A/Cs and about 9.5' wide if you moved the A/Cs.

And like I said, it's steep enough that you can't walk up it without repeatedly slipping/dislodging dirt/rocks. It's probably about a 100% grade at and then starts to flatten where the A/Cs are.

The other side of the lot is wider/has more room between the house and fence but can't work due to the side garage access.

Landscaping update. I decided to wait for two reasons, one I wanted to make sure there weren't any winter drainage issues which would undoubtedly be blamed on my landscaping, and two, hoping a neighbor would get theirs landscaped and I'd be able to see how it worked.

And the latter happened. It's kind of an edge case since they literally patio'd 95% of the flat part of their backyard, but what they did was make a ramp out of plywood and used it to both dump the patio substrate down (with a guy stationed in the middle to help it along with a shovel) and also to slide the patio pavers down.

But I think river rock will slide down the ramp better than the poo poo you put under patios, so seems like a pretty good solution. They moved enough stuff down the ramp in a day with only a few guys to make the base of a ~3500 square foot patio, so...

Anyway I'll probably contact the same company soon and try and get something set up for the spring.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

So the wife and I finally decided to start replacing the posts on our old/slightly leaning wood fence. Queue digging around the first post to see if concrete was even used

Concrete was used! But it's about 2 feet in diameter around the post (which is basically a 4x4).

For gently caress's sake that seems like way too much concrete for a wood fence post. We're giving up and hiring a fencing contractor to just replace the whole thing with vinyl (for about $10k apparently, for the entire back yard)

Buy an electric circular saw and chop those posts flush to the ground. Then start over. Fences are easy man, a post digger, saw and level are all you need to save most of that 10g's. That's boat money brah :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tesilential posted:

Buy an electric circular saw and chop those posts flush to the ground. Then start over. Fences are easy man, a post digger, saw and level are all you need to save most of that 10g's. That's boat money brah :)

We live on an island, so about 3/4 of that is just materials. And at least half of the old posts have to be pulled out just to get a new fence down at all, or else we'll have to significantly reduce the enclosed area of our back yard. I'd just as soon pay the $3k to get the old fence removed and the new fence installed

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Any way to remove an old standalone newspaper box that is easier than trying to dig the drat metal post out? Looks like it goes pretty deep. Nobody gets a paper anymore and even if they did it'd just get dumped in the driveway anyway. I could just angle grind it off I guess but I'd rather get the metal out of the ground if I can. It has holes through it, if I found some rebar or something small enough there might be a chance I could just get a car jack under it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

novamute posted:

Any way to remove an old standalone newspaper box that is easier than trying to dig the drat metal post out? Looks like it goes pretty deep. Nobody gets a paper anymore and even if they did it'd just get dumped in the driveway anyway. I could just angle grind it off I guess but I'd rather get the metal out of the ground if I can. It has holes through it, if I found some rebar or something small enough there might be a chance I could just get a car jack under it.

Can't you rock it back and forth and yank it out? Is this a hollow metal post or the barb wire fence post thing? Lots of water into the ground helps.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Elephanthead posted:

Can't you rock it back and forth and yank it out? Is this a hollow metal post or the barb wire fence post thing? Lots of water into the ground helps.

Nope, in way too deep I think. I'll probably continue having a go at it whenever we get hit by another week long stretch of rain.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have yanked those out even ones 5 feet deep. You need to use some force. Rock it like you need it to kill someone. (I was also younger then and had powerful yanking skills)

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Lever it out with another post/board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The concrete plugs are bizarrely 2 feet in diameter. That doesn't seem like it would work so well without completely removing the boards around the post, and I guess also praying that the post isn't too rotted to hold a billion pounds of concrete