Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

alnilam posted:

I like this story and i LOVE finding irl wild animal skellingtons, congrats on your rad skull find

I wish I could id it but I'm not sure! Marshland in what region roughly, if you don't mind saying, and how big ish is the skull

Thanks! Northern California.

e: I just measured it; about 4.75-5 inches.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

I used to have a whole row of raccoon skulls on my retaining wall. Sadly, they didn't weather well.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

ya, exactly. they seem to have been cranking out stuff that conforms to the twilight zone model, with a bit more horror thrown in, but it's style over substance. the thing is, they do every so often manage to tap into something primal. I saw a couple of episodes, "slippage" and "inside the closet," that worked for me despite being fairly incoherent when you try to examine the plots with any degree of care. "slippage" I think plays into the fear of being an outcast, experiencing a social death almost worse than a literal death; "inside the closet" pretty much deals with exactly what the title promises, on a very literal but effective level.

what's disappointing is that they could have probably amplified the effectiveness of the episodes greatly with just a bit more attention paid to plot/storytelling, a bit more awareness of the specific anxieties they were addressing, and maybe throwing in a few layers every so often. the episodes seem like they're brainstorming horror concepts instead of fleshing them out (or else simply recycling material done more effectively elsewhere, I'm not sure how cynical I should be).

nonetheless, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's pretty interesting/appalling how many of the anxieties on display have to do specifically with women

I will say this, however: while the series has a number of deliberately comedic episodes, the majority play it straight, and I appreciate that. I had a hard time getting into "tales from the crypt" because it was way too campy / ironically self-aware. mixing comedy and horror isn't impossible but it is really hard imo, the horror aspect almost always suffers.

Zeroisanumber

I just got back from watching the new Blade Runner and it's beautiful and if you haven't seen it yet you need to see it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zeroisanumber posted:

I just got back from watching the new Blade Runner and it's beautiful and if you haven't seen it yet you need to see it.

agreed, saw it a few days ago and it is very good. lots of feelings. big moods.

punchymcpunch

Zeroisanumber posted:

yeah!

punchymcpunch

hi hamjobs

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hi. i went on a vacation. it was nice. i liked it. i'm going back again in a couple of weeks, for another vacation.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
thinkin bout how spooky it is that there's at least one skull inside my face right now

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Twenty Four

Manifisto posted:

Tales from the Darkside

Another thing I remember from both Tales from the Darkside and 90s/00s Outer Limits is seeing more actors known for other stuff then you would expect. Not exactly A listers, but people you definately knew better from other shows.

Like "oh hey, it's Jerry Orbach, that cool old detective Lenny Brisco from Law and Order!" on Darkside and just being suprised.

Or David Hyde Pierce (Niles on Frasier) did an Outer Limits episode where he was some convict sentanced to mind jail or something.

Bunch of others too, always took me off guard, and having watched lots of these as reruns, it was hard to remember if they did these shows or the ones they were better known for first.

Edit: Part of this has to do with the kind of lower budget feeling, especially considering many of the storylines in both shows, then seeing someone recognisable.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 25, 2017

Twenty Four

Olive! posted:

animal skull

You can clean it up real nice letting it soak in a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide. Boiling can work but can dammage it. Enjoy your extra skull!

hamjobs posted:

hi. i went on a vacation. it was nice. i liked it. i'm going back again in a couple of weeks, for another vacation.

Nice! I want a vacation, not to mention multiple, but $$$ means thats probably not happening soon. Glad you got at least one in!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

the next one is all house shopping. whee.

alnilam

Olive! posted:

thinkin bout how spooky it is that there's at least one skull inside my face right now

me wondering where i can get me a cool animal skull too, then looking at your face with a hungry look and in my vision your head momentarily fades into a skull for a second liek in looney toons when they're really hungry and see the other guy as a turkey leg or something, and you're like "gee what is it" and I'm like "oh nothing" but also sharpening a knife

alnilam

Twenty Four posted:

Another thing I remember from both Tales from the Darkside and 90s/00s Outer Limits is seeing more actors known for other stuff then you would expect. Not exactly A listers, but people you definately knew better from other shows.

Like "oh hey, it's Jerry Orbach, that cool old detective Lenny Brisco from Law and Order!" on Darkside and just being suprised.

Or David Hyde Pierce (Niles on Frasier) did an Outer Limits episode where he was some convict sentanced to mind jail or something.

Bunch of others too, always took me off guard, and having watched lots of these as reruns, it was hard to remember if they did these shows or the ones they were better known for first.

Edit: Part of this has to do with the kind of lower budget feeling, especially considering many of the storylines in both shows, then seeing someone recognisable.

I enjoyed seeing JL Sebastian from the original blade runner appear in both the crazy postal worker + secret government scary LSD episode of x files, and also the Hamb sketch on Tim and Eric, both times it was an intense feeling of he looks familiar but he's not quite famous enough for it to be obvious at first and then i got it

Still never actually looked it up to confirm so i could be wrong but h*ck if I'm gonna go look it up, I'm too busy posting!!

punchymcpunch

Twenty Four posted:

anthology shows have always been good for this. i went and saw blade runner and they showed an ad for philip k dick's philip k dick's the electric dreams of horselover fats for some smart cross promotion and it was oh yeh theres that dude from auf wiedersehen pet and theres malcolm's dad and there's the guy from ghost world

punchymcpunch

alnilam posted:

I enjoyed seeing JL Sebastian from the original blade runner appear in both the crazy postal worker + secret government scary LSD episode of x files, and also the Hamb sketch on Tim and Eric, both times it was an intense feeling of he looks familiar but he's not quite famous enough for it to be obvious at first and then i got it

Still never actually looked it up to confirm so i could be wrong but h*ck if I'm gonna go look it up, I'm too busy posting!!

heheh actually its JF Sebastian, JL Sebastian is his twin brother who died before the events of the movie

*snaps fingers, ten CineD posters crawl out of garbage cans and poo poo like that and start to dance around you snapping their fingers and brandishing knives*

hey everyone this guy said a blade runner thing but it was one letter off being correct

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Olive! posted:

I've always identified as a skeleton blessed with a meat filling instead of a meatman reinforced with a skeleton.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

What's something cool I can make from scratch if I have a drill with various bits, a dremel with tons of attachments, hammer & nails, screws, and etc. but no "big" power tools like a drill press, router, table saw, band saw, lathe and so forth

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

alnilam

Doctor Dogballs posted:

What's something cool I can make from scratch if I have a drill with various bits, a dremel with tons of attachments, hammer & nails, screws, and etc. but no "big" power tools like a drill press, router, table saw, band saw, lathe and so forth

a lot of things! I'd say the one big thing you're missing is a handsaw and possibly a cheap miter box.

I do lots of little wood and metal projects without any power tools but a drill. H*ck I even used to use a hand-turned drill!

If you want to get more intense, get a couple of decent chisels on top of the saw, and you'll have mostly everything you need to build almost anything.

alnilam

you could build a chicken coop, a bike hanging rack, a stool, a shoe rack, a table, or repair any manner of things, the possibilities are pretty broad

punchymcpunch

Doctor Dogballs posted:

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
It's good to go on walks. Whenever I'm working from the office or from home, I like to go for a 10 minute walk after lunch. I believe this is what the Germans all do.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

Doctor Dogballs posted:

You could go to a craft store and see if you come up with any ideas. That's how I came up with the idea to make all of my family members clocks for Christmas last year. Actually, making clocks might be a fun idea for you since I know you're a great drawer, and so you might enjoy painting a clock face.

At Michael's (a craft store chain in America) you can buy clock mechanism kits that contain everything you need except for the actual face of the clock, which can be any flat surface with a hole in the middle. I personally made my clocks with 1" thick circular slices of wood with the bark still on, which were also bought from Michael's. I drilled a hole in the middle, dremeled out a space in the back for the clock mechanism, painted the front with acrylic paints, sprayed the wood with a sealer of some sort, and assembled the clock.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Boo.

<3 <3 Vanisher

blaise rascal

alnilam posted:

me wondering where i can get me a cool animal skull too, then looking at your face with a hungry look and in my vision your head momentarily fades into a skull for a second liek in looney toons when they're really hungry and see the other guy as a turkey leg or something, and you're like "gee what is it" and I'm like "oh nothing" but also sharpening a knife
haha

cda

by Hand Knit

Doctor Dogballs posted:

You can make a a big impressive pile of attachments, hammers, nails, and screws.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

*finger hovers over probe button* ...no, it's ok cda. let this one pass. it was just one boo.

----------------

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

cda posted:

*finger hovers over probe button* ...no, it's ok cda. let this one pass. it was just one boo.

Sorry cda, wasn't trying to scare you. Nice to see you still in "power". I am however dissapointed that you didn't probe me in the probe thread. I was looking forward to an awesome picture or something, but nah.

Have you gone soft?

<3 <3 Vanisher

blaise rascal

Am I being owned right now? I don't understand what's happening

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

blaise rascal posted:

Am I being owned right now? I don't understand what's happening

Booing is illegal except in ghostly and/or ghastly contexts.

Heckling is also verboten.

Joshing, however, is grudgingly tolerated.

blaise rascal

*thinks back wistfully to the days of old byob when I was owned pretty much constantly* sigh...

Manifisto

Olive! posted:

look at me I found a skull

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I have no real tools or skills or ideas, what should I do?

blaise rascal posted:

thinly veiled advertisement for michael's, also shill for the clock industry

skull clock

:smuggo: you're welcome

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Manifisto posted:

skull clock

:smuggo: you're welcome

uh he said he had no tools, skulls, or ideas.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

It's good to go on walks. Whenever I'm working from the office or from home, I like to go for a 10 minute walk after lunch. I believe this is what the Germans all do.

I once lived a mile away from where I worked and I started walking to/from work and eating less, and I lost 70 lbs in a year. Walks are good.

Matoi Ryuko

Uxzuigal posted:

Sorry cda, wasn't trying to scare you. Nice to see you still in "power". I am however dissapointed that you didn't probe me in the probe thread. I was looking forward to an awesome picture or something, but nah.

Have you gone soft?

He was never hard :smug:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my dog is barking at a neatly organized shelf of yarn. this has been occurring for approximately 20 minutes. there's nothing on the shelf, but neatly organized yarn.

Matoi Ryuko

hamjobs posted:

my dog is barking at a neatly organized shelf of yarn. this has been occurring for approximately 20 minutes. there's nothing on the shelf, but neatly organized yarn.

How rude of you to leave yarn just lying around

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How rude of you to leave yarn just lying around

how rude of me *not* to just leave it lying around so he could helpfully art all over the house while i'm packing poo poo up.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
put the dog on the shelf and the yarn on the floor so the yarn can bark at the dog on the shelf

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

hamjobs posted:

Definitely ghosts. Possibly some kind of knitting spirit or a wooltergeist