Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It would be cool if they added a cqc-like mode where you entered a not having to pay insurance version of your ship and could pvp that way. Especially if they still did teams! Maybe even have an engineered vs not engineered trigger, or something.

A few "it would be cool if" thoughts that probably won't happen because :frontear: :

• A double-slotted station called "the Arena". Combatants could enter either side to start a 1-1 or team deathmatch.
  • A special type of CZ called an arena zone or something, see above. Anywhere in a system or planetary.
  • An entire star system as a designated arena zone with no re-buy cost.
  • Any of the above, but non-participants can place bets on the outcome.
  • Mini-powerplay, fight for control over a system in real time for your faction. I'm imagining something like the UT2k4 game mode with power nodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
In response to "hey maybe increase payouts so people don't feel compelled to use borderline exploits:

quote:

The payouts for multicrew are pretty well balanced I think. If by "adjusting" you mean increasing, I dont think thats a good idea. Could be easily exploited by someone with 3 accounts not doing anything more than having 3 people present in his ship to get increased rewards.

Most importantly remember that multicrew is a risk free gameplay option for anyone joining in wanting to have a fun time in a big ship. You cannot lose anything as someone joining, so why should the rewards be large? At the very least in Wings you risk losing your own ship even though getting the whole bounty makes no sense.

Should players have to pay their rightful portion of the anaconda they are sitting in once the dude operating turrets shoots at a cop and you get blown up?

These people are loving broken.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In response to "hey maybe increase payouts so people don't feel compelled to use borderline exploits:

How do you mange to turn it into an exploit when there is no way to pool the cash, and all you'd be doing is lessen your effectiveness since you can't control all three accounts at once? It would be an in every way worse option than just using one account and still get the same amount of cash for yourself.

Yes, I understand that they're broken, but this is just completely counter to all logic and maths. Never mind the second part where, as always in these space games, people are wholly ignorant of the concept of opportunity cost.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

48 Hour Boner posted:

A few "it would be cool if" thoughts that probably won't happen because :frontear: :

• A double-slotted station called "the Arena". Combatants could enter either side to start a 1-1 or team deathmatch.
  • A special type of CZ called an arena zone or something, see above. Anywhere in a system or planetary.
  • An entire star system as a designated arena zone with no re-buy cost.
  • Any of the above, but non-participants can place bets on the outcome.
  • Mini-powerplay, fight for control over a system in real time for your faction. I'm imagining something like the UT2k4 game mode with power nodes.
Your list is also missing ‘most people who want “PvP” actually are only interested in dropping wings of ships on a solo person and don’t actually care about “honourable combat” or whatever you want to call it no matter how much they insist they do’.

Don’t get me wrong, there are absolutely people who fight fair and would use that sort of game mode (the DF PvPers for example) but the vast majority of the vocal “PvP” pilots on the brown sea are just griefers and wouldn’t use it even if it was there.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Because right now there is no reward (and no method) for honorable PVP, so you’re risking your rebuy for nothing. A PVP zone with kill vouchers and decreased / no rebuy would be a lot of fun.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mulitiple accounts is more common than not in Eve Online (incl. subscription fee!!!). Even as someone who played it I cannot get behind the mindset of playing three/ten/twenty windows of the same game just for maximum advantage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Mulitiple accounts is more common than not in Eve Online (incl. subscription fee!!!). Even as someone who played it I cannot get behind the mindset of playing three/ten/twenty windows of the same game just for maximum advantage.

As mentioned, what would be the point? There isn't an easy way to pool credits in this game. (I really hope a feature of the clan system are clan-backed loans.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Strategic Tea posted:

I alt-tab multiboxed eve for a bit: the rewards were more than 2x for the effort, so I was able to PLEX both accounts in less time than it took to do just the one. :shrug:

As mentioned, what would be the point? There isn't an easy way to pool credits in this game. (I really hope a feature of the clan system are clan-backed loans.)

Yeah, this is the part where multiboxing doesn't make sense in ED. I'm guessing the new squad carriers will be cash-pooled somehow though, so maybe that will change. Tax seems like the obvious way, but knowing :frontear: it will probably involve CG-like events where your group will have to gather 100,000 of [$INSERT_RNG_ELEMENT] and deliver it to Hutton Orbital to get your carrier built.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m really interested in the overlap between Eve and every other space game because of poo poo like this.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the appeal of EVE, but Jesus Christ. I tried to play it a couple months ago and with guides written for literal idiots I still had to install 2-3 out of game programs, watch 2 hours of YouTube videos, try to understand incredibly poorly explained mechanics, and then still got immediately murdered by people who had played the game just for the sake of playing it for like ten years. This was then followed by people contacting me out of the blue and assuring me not to quit because of this, which is what made me quit because how loving insane is it that not only did I die but you knew I was a new player, and died, and died to an expert, and that it was going to make me quit. I was honestly so insanely weirded out by how overwhelming the supportive response to my gank was that I realized this was the future until I flipped the switch to bitter sperg vet.

EVE specific rant aside, I feel like so many of the bad elements of the Elite community want the draw of EVE but realize that it’s fundamentally broken because you cannot have both the insane dedication and sperging of EVE and get the same adrenaline rush of kicking over sandcastles without going full insanity. It’s a bunch of people hoping that the devs cut off the skill ceiling just below their current level so they’re the best sand castle kicker, and other players be damned if you want to get to their level. poo poo we’re already victim to the bitter sperg level player with the way they tell their story since pro story explorers lower their graphics and then look for spikes in video memory/processing/whatever to know when they’ve found something. If that’s not broken, what is?

The idea that anyone would multibox Elite is insane because it’s already a terrible multiplayer game and if tomorrow I had to start fresh I’d never touch it again because of how stupid it is to make progress. I lucked out to have Robigo to jump me from a Cobra to Asp+ level, then Quince to get me from Asp to just barely exploraconda. I figure I’m stuck at this level until they gently caress up something we can gold rush again. I would not fathom the idea of grinding another account past cobra because what the gently caress why even god drat it gently caress.

I will also play solo at the first sign of any major risk or threat and I hope it pisses people off that I’m having fun sometimes that you can’t ruin.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m really interested in the overlap between Eve and every other space game because of poo poo like this.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the appeal of EVE, but Jesus Christ. I tried to play it a couple months ago and with guides written for literal idiots I still had to install 2-3 out of game programs, watch 2 hours of YouTube videos, try to understand incredibly poorly explained mechanics, and then still got immediately murdered by people who had played the game just for the sake of playing it for like ten years. This was then followed by people contacting me out of the blue and assuring me not to quit because of this, which is what made me quit because how loving insane is it that not only did I die but you knew I was a new player, and died, and died to an expert, and that it was going to make me quit. I was honestly so insanely weirded out by how overwhelming the supportive response to my gank was that I realized this was the future until I flipped the switch to bitter sperg vet.

EVE specific rant aside, I feel like so many of the bad elements of the Elite community want the draw of EVE but realize that it’s fundamentally broken because you cannot have both the insane dedication and sperging of EVE and get the same adrenaline rush of kicking over sandcastles without going full insanity. It’s a bunch of people hoping that the devs cut off the skill ceiling just below their current level so they’re the best sand castle kicker, and other players be damned if you want to get to their level. poo poo we’re already victim to the bitter sperg level player with the way they tell their story since pro story explorers lower their graphics and then look for spikes in video memory/processing/whatever to know when they’ve found something. If that’s not broken, what is?

The idea that anyone would multibox Elite is insane because it’s already a terrible multiplayer game and if tomorrow I had to start fresh I’d never touch it again because of how stupid it is to make progress. I lucked out to have Robigo to jump me from a Cobra to Asp+ level, then Quince to get me from Asp to just barely exploraconda. I figure I’m stuck at this level until they gently caress up something we can gold rush again. I would not fathom the idea of grinding another account past cobra because what the gently caress why even god drat it gently caress.

I will also play solo at the first sign of any major risk or threat and I hope it pisses people off that I’m having fun sometimes that you can’t ruin.

Sometimes it feels like multiplayer games will always be a shadow of their potential due to anything of interest being instantly minmaxed, or at the very least being datamined and dissected :smith:

Also I play open but that is a good reson to go solo and I too hope it infuriates them!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I alt-tab multiboxed eve for a bit: the rewards were more than 2x for the effort, so I was able to PLEX both accounts in less time than it took to do just the one. :shrug:

Yeah, this is the part where multiboxing doesn't make sense in ED. I'm guessing the new squad carriers will be cash-pooled somehow though, so maybe that will change. Tax seems like the obvious way, but knowing :frontear: it will probably involve CG-like events where your group will have to gather 100,000 of [$INSERT_RNG_ELEMENT] and deliver it to Hutton Orbital to get your carrier built.
I have two elite accounts but it’s not for multiboxing, it’s so I can have one based out at Colonia and go looking at nifty stuff around the core while still being able to hang out with friends in the bubble.

I have chronic Space Madness though so I’m not sure I’m a good example as to why this is a problem.

The dot is my friend

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Strategic Tea posted:

Sometimes it feels like multiplayer games will always be a shadow of their potential due to anything of interest being instantly minmaxed, or at the very least being datamined and dissected :smith:

Also I play open but that is a good reson to go solo and I too hope it infuriates them!

The answer as always is smaller scale multiplayer games with a low number of players, as opposed to an mmo. It's more fun, more sociable and you don't have to deal with the masses of screaming retards and chat functions.

Example:
Coop multiplayer spaceship simulator like The Expanse? Good and cool.

MMO Spaceship spreadsheet simulator? Not good and cool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mercurius posted:

I have two elite accounts but it’s not for multiboxing, it’s so I can have one based out at Colonia and go looking at nifty stuff around the core while still being able to hang out with friends in the bubble.

I have chronic Space Madness though so I’m not sure I’m a good example as to why this is a problem.

The dot is my friend

Oh man! I forgot about the dot! Did they patch it out? I haven't seen it in more than a year!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

What is the go to setup for bounty hunting these days?

I'm using a 'Conda heavy on multi cannons but after 2-3 mill I need to head back and rearm.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
CQC would be better if they moved it from the login screen to multicrew. Also NPC ships that can spawn fighters should have a chance of the fighter being piloted by a player.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I wonder if they will let us align our clans with feds/imps/pirates?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Xae posted:

What is the go to setup for bounty hunting these days?

I'm using a 'Conda heavy on multi cannons but after 2-3 mill I need to head back and rearm.

Get a big shield and it doesn't really matter what weapons you use. I prefer pulse laser turrets on HPs size 3 and smaller and a gimbal bream laser for the size 4 in the conda. I can stay out indefinitely until I get bored. Turrets make it super lazy mode too. Take a fighter bay for extra hijinx.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

clone on the phone posted:

I wonder if they will let us align our clans with feds/imps/pirates?

If they want powerplay to stay as relevant at the very least. Hopefully. Powerplay is another way they hosed up what could have been a cool thing.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Krycek posted:

Get a big shield and it doesn't really matter what weapons you use. I prefer pulse laser turrets on HPs size 3 and smaller and a gimbal bream laser for the size 4 in the conda. I can stay out indefinitely until I get bored. Turrets make it super lazy mode too. Take a fighter bay for extra hijinx.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I gotta try this setup.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, I haven't even played in months but I saw the Halloween glow decals on Facebook and thought 'yeah that's my poo poo, better grab them in case they're seasonal' and then the black Scoundrel outfit is totally something I would actually wear.

£5; Well done, Frontier.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I know that rare goods increase in value the further you travel from the sell point but is there a cap as to how high the price goes?

Also wondering if I say back track to a previous system that's closer to the sell point does it drop in value or does the price stay the same base on how many actual lys I've traveled with them?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zooted heh posted:

I know that rare goods increase in value the further you travel from the sell point but is there a cap as to how high the price goes?

Also wondering if I say back track to a previous system that's closer to the sell point does it drop in value or does the price stay the same base on how many actual lys I've traveled with them?

Rare goods have huge diminishing returns after about 100 LY.

Beyond 100ish isn't worth it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

zooted heh posted:

I'm also curious about this, does anyone know something like the sale price of the hutton mug at the farthest station from alpha Centauri?

Xae posted:

Rare goods have huge diminishing returns after about 100 LY.

Beyond 100ish isn't worth it.

Oh no

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

zooted heh posted:

IIRC it caps out at ~300Ly from its source

no it calculates based on distance from the system its bought from

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rare good max sell price plateaus at 160LY from source and there is no diminishing returns of any kind.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just explore instead! :eng101:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just explore instead! :eng101:

Exploration is surprisingly good cash now. I imagine you could probably snipe all the "undiscovered" Earthlike's in the bubble for some decent cash.

I sniped Teraforming candidates and ELWs to Colonia and made 60 million on the way. Honk and go on the way back still netted 30 million.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I went to Colonia and Sag A* and back in a 29 ly range Sidewinder. I made 480 million credits.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It takes weeks. Don't do it unless youre comiitted and want to exploe. You could spend the same amount of time doing straight bubble passenger missions and make more money.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Has anything ever came out from the guardians and ancient ruins storyline?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some text files and maybe guns next year, that's about it. Oh and you can piss off Thargoids with the guardian artifacts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Uhhh not really? I mean it can but it depends on how much time you put in. Fire up Netflix and just jump b

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Uhhh not really? I mean it can but it depends on how much time you put in. Fire up Netflix and just jump b

Unless you're putting in a lot of hours a day it takes a long time. I just got back from Colonia in a 25ly cutter. It took me about a week to get there and a week to get back doing a couple of hours every day. In something with a reasonable jump range you're still looking at a few days.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I just picked this up. I have a setup with Oculus and T16000 hotas. I completed one delivery mission, which turned out being way more complicated that I would have thought. Can anyone point me in a direction for some newbie goals?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mugaaz posted:

I just picked this up. I have a setup with Oculus and T16000 hotas. I completed one delivery mission, which turned out being way more complicated that I would have thought. Can anyone point me in a direction for some newbie goals?

It depends on your general attitude toward games, but my advice would be to just kind of flail around and explore what the game offers you while you get used to the base mechanics. The initial progress arc from sidewinder through like, cobra or so is probably the most balanced and you aren’t yet jaded by the cost of the “end game” ships (anaconda, rank grinds for the cutter, corvette) and their modules. I spent my newbie time mostly trying to bounty hunt and just learn how combat worked, but I dabbled in just about every role briefly to see what was fun!

You can also try to find the most efficient objectives and grind out to make progress that that style of play really doesn’t lend itself to elite, imo. It’s a game where you do, after a point, have to make your own fun. Don’t succumb to the grind until you absolutely have to have that new ship!

I’d just enjoy the ride because when the game is new and flashy and you aren’t bogged down kitting out a combat fit Anaconda is really the most fun part of it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
It is hard to explore what the game has to offer because there is little to no introductions to any of the game systems. Which 2 do you recommend I look into first and how?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shooting the mailslot at full burn without dying is probably the first thing you should learn, it makes smuggling mission s way easier.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Some people will tell you that you can't solo a wing of elite clippers in a vulture. Prove them wrong.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Learn which ships are not to be messed with lightly. My first time bounty hunting in a stock Sidewinder. “Anaconda”? What kind of lovely ship is that? Let’s get him! *pew pew* *rebuy screen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
You know the cool space sounds NASA records/interprets from instruments?

https://soundcloud.com/nasa/sets/solar-system-beyond-sounds

Wouldn't it be cool if all the sounds you hear in space were all that sort of thing? So a ships drive sounded kind of like #16 on that list, and plasma cannons firing was some kind of distinctive roar of static etc. Wonder how difficult it would be to generate enough effects to cover everything in game, whether you could take from irl sources like those and figure out how stuff is meant to sound

• Locked thread