Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the racist part is that all the playable humanoids are white and european. Also there are no black peple or native americans, just orcs and dinosaurs.

I do think human tribes were mentioned as existing in Naggaroth, but were either wiped out or nearly wiped out by the insane meritocracy worshiping slavers who currently occupy the continent

absolutely nothing like their real life counterparts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Gonkish posted:

I really want to see them go full crazy with the giant map in game three by including Cathay. Mostly because I want to see an even more fantastic version of Three Kingdoms China dropping giant tigers carved out of jade backed up by terra cotta warriors, etc. Just go full madness.

total war: fantasy would be a good side project but we already got that

I lust for a unit of monkey kings

SMP
May 5, 2009

I highly doubt Cathay will be in because isn't the next historical rumored to be three kingdoms China? I doubt they'd want to retread or undermine their next game.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Just go full HOMM3. Give me genies.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the racist part is that all the playable humanoids are white and european. Also there are no black peple or native americans, just orcs and dinosaurs.

This. The biggest hurdle with Araby is the fact that any of their units get called “Arabian Whatevers” and the only guy in the fiction that could be turned into a LL is an evil sorcerer named Jaffar. Just nab a few city names from one of the RPG books and throw a dart to pick which one would be the playable faction (Ilashik works), then ignore the blatant orientalist stuff from the fluff and portray them as normal middle-eastern dudes with flying carpets that fight mummies on Tuesdays and French Crusaders on Thursdays.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Archonex posted:

Just wait until they get all the minor factions in. Imagine what'll happen when you've got Middenland hulking the gently caress out with wolves and wolf priests and wolf knights like they're the loving Space Wolves from Warhammer 40k. All while the Atilla the Hun knockoffs that sit between Kislev and every incursion act as a neutral/Kislev aligned barbarian force. Meanwhile the vampiric Lahmians are up in the mountains using the elven intrigue mechanics to gently caress with factions and play them against each other while leeching soldiers and other stuff off of the overt nations. And that's just part of the northern Old World.

poo poo, some of this is already partially in. Someone data mined the map for the upcoming grand campaign and found that at least Lahmia is in. And there's no way it could go in without making an entirely new Vampire faction playable. Ditto for Ulric worship, which has had unique buildings and such since Warhammer 1 despite no apparent efforts to expand on them. And there's a huge tract of land just north of Kislev that'd fit well with a new barbarian settlement.

They'd better not gently caress this up, is what i'm saying.

:fap: Don't stop, I'm almost there...

Triskelli posted:

This. The biggest hurdle with Araby is the fact that any of their units get called “Arabian Whatevers” and the only guy in the fiction that could be turned into a LL is an evil sorcerer named Jaffar. Just nab a few city names from one of the RPG books and throw a dart to pick which one would be the playable faction (Ilashik works), then ignore the blatant orientalist stuff from the fluff and portray them as normal middle-eastern dudes with flying carpets that fight mummies on Tuesdays and French Crusaders on Thursdays.
Just get creative with the naming, try to find terminology that suits the mythology without being blatantly racist maybe? Elves got Phoenixes, Araby has Djinn?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Old thread title back please, this one is bad

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Triskelli posted:

Definitely keep the evil sorcerer, just name him J'afar or something.

J'afar the Steamhead Duardin.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SMP posted:

I highly doubt Cathay will be in because isn't the next historical rumored to be three kingdoms China? I doubt they'd want to retread or undermine their next game.

I doubt they would be looking at Three Kingdoms is going to be a retread or undermindment of Cathay or vice versa unless you are expecting a Total War Rot3K to have Animated Jade statues, Steampunk Terra Cotta Robots, and a literal dragon as the emperor as they fight off waves of literal goblin mongolia and giant chef wizards who cast magic through the power of food and otherworldly demons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Ogres getting bonus winds of magic reserves based on how many enemies they've eaten would be fuckin badass.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Triskelli posted:

There is the Golden Magus (from Dreadfleet) and the Wizard Caliph (just named because of his palace).

If we got Ghort Who...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Ogres getting bonus winds of magic reserves based on how many enemies they've eaten would be fuckin badass.

given that butchers and slaughtermasters are front line combatants that would make several dedicated combat lords blush its entirely possible that they could gain winds of magic for as long as they're engaged in battle

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

SMP posted:

chinese people love china and all things chinese

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

J'afar the Steamhead Duardin.

Now we're talkin!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Panfilo posted:

It's cause they fart a lot, right

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
When you want to upgrade your CPU to play Total Warhammer at 60+ fps, but to upgrade the CPU you need a new motherboard, then new memory to match the new motherboard :smith:

I love this 2500K, but it's just not cutting the mustard any more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Triskelli posted:

The fan made 9th edition found or created two more possibilities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

immortal flow posted:

When you want to upgrade your CPU to play Total Warhammer at 60+ fps, but to upgrade the CPU you need a new motherboard, then new memory to match the new motherboard :smith:

I love this 2500K, but it's just not cutting the mustard any more.

I am having that issue currently and Coffee Lake processors are so scarce right now it isn't even funny. Newegg got a few more a couple of days ago, about 3000 I heard, and they sold out in an hour.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DeathSandwich posted:

I doubt they would be looking at Three Kingdoms is going to be a retread or undermindment of Cathay or vice versa unless you are expecting a Total War Rot3K to have Animated Jade statues, Steampunk Terra Cotta Robots, and a literal dragon as the emperor as they fight off waves of literal goblin mongolia and giant chef wizards who cast magic through the power of food and otherworldly demons.

Hey now. I'll have you know that Liu Bei fought and died for the benevolence of the kung fu monkey men of China.

Also, that Cao Cao believed that only through warfare and the chaos that comes with it could the three kingdoms be reunited under one ruler. Like, literally chaos. Dude was a secret Tzeentch worshipper, after all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

didn't an actual arabian dude come in the last few times this discussion happened to say nobody cares

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Late game Mousillon is hilarious to watch. They've now got battle site of 2k, 5k, 5k and 6k just over the border in Bordeaux, every time the Duke's stacks are defeated the come back almost immediately. Reached a point where he's posing a real danger to surrounding Bretonnia because every battle he loses makes him stronger.

Archonex posted:

Hey now. I'll have you know that Liu Bei fought and died for the benevolence of the kung fu monkey men of China.

Also, that Cao Cao believed that only through warfare and the chaos that comes with it could the three kingdoms be reunited under one ruler. Like, literally chaos. Dude was a secret Tzeentch worshipper, after all.

Dynasty warriors has taught me that Cao Cao's favourite word was Ambition, preferably screamed at the sky as his fleet burned around him.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Late game Mousillon is hilarious to watch. They've now got battle site of 2k, 5k, 5k and 6k just over the border in Bordeaux, every time the Duke's stacks are defeated the come back almost immediately. Reached a point where he's posing a real danger to surrounding Bretonnia because every battle he loses makes him stronger.

Dynasty warriors has taught me that Cao Cao's favourite word was Ambition, preferably screamed at the sky as his fleet burned around him.

Dynasty Warriors as a whole has been an interesting look at what happens when a game's mechanics regress as time goes on. The original Dynasty Warriors had active soldiers that actually attacked and weren't only there to style on. They'd actually complete battlefields on their own if you sucked enough. Likewise, the lines and characters eventually got boiled down to themed stuff like BENEVOLENCE or AMBITION. Sure does make for some funny memes though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_DB-WhbR4

Also, "Conjure Genies" has to be my favorite skill in a tabletop RPG. Can you imagine the sort of fluff that'd get written out about that?

:v:: "My prince! The Greenskin's are attacking our neighbors and our people are starving! You must do something!"

:haw:: "Naaah. gently caress that. I'll just conjure up a humanoid wish granting machine. What could go wrong with that?"

:v:: :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
:v: "I wish these Orcs never existed"
*fucks up the timeline, some other Orc Warlord with insane powers inevitably replaces him, throwing the whole old world under a green tide*

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Panfilo posted:

Just get creative with the naming, try to find terminology that suits the mythology without being blatantly racist maybe? Elves got Phoenixes, Araby has Djinn?

Yeah it’d almost definitely be Djinn.

ZearothK posted:

There is the Golden Magus (from Dreadfleet) and the Wizard Caliph (just named because of his palace).

If we got Ghort Who...

Trawling the wiki for shits and giggles, there’s one other neat option. Fatandira the Second Prince is a buff warrior lady that took bloody vengeance on the racist village that killed her family for “witchcraft”. She now rules a petty kingdom in the Border Princes and is waging a war against bigotry.

Davincie posted:

didn't an actual arabian dude come in the last few times this discussion happened to say nobody cares

Didn’t see that but it sounds about right. I think the concern should be less “oh god what if someone is offended by names!!” and more “dear god I don’t want to hear TWG’s opinions about the muslims”. Also the existing fluff about Bretonnians and Imperials bumbling their way into leading Arabian warbands might need junking.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think the people who are most offended watched disneys alladin as a kid and are just confused adults now.

Also from 9th edition, they have a few heroes that could turn into lords.
Prince of thieves, jasmine silverveil, sinba-ahd corsair lord of lasheik, and malik ibn la'ahad master assassin

I mean pro tier CA trolling would making araby a faction with jafar and prince of thieves as the two LLs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Honestly having that Araby region being a hotspot would be pretty interesting.

Araby being human yet hostile toward Brettonians who are on Crusades, which is a real pain in the rear end for the locals who are busy dealing with an army of Skellyman ancestors hellbent on recovering some Golden Doily their Pharoh had in his past life. Not to mention migrating Savage Orcs and Skaven chewing up anything remotely edible in the region.

Once WH3 drops they really ought to consider expanding areas like this in terms of subfactions. Being able to start in Araby, or Cathay, for example, where the Empire/Brettonia is a far-distant problem only occasionally becoming an issue would be really unique and interesting. Right now Empire is extremely united in the sense that all their current lords all have the same starting position. It would be really interesting if there were some subfactions with very distant start positions that might have their own various affinities to some goofy German-sounding dudes riding mutant eagle/lion hybrids.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this is an argument for amazons right

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All the concern over cultural sensitivity and offense is making me think back to C&C Generals and the shitstorm it would cause if it were released today.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

in the mean time, there is a pretty amazing Araby mod in the works for Warhammer 2, check out this showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL9NbuohIDk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SickZip posted:

All the concern over cultural sensitivity and offense is making me think back to C&C Generals and the shitstorm it would cause if it were released today.

Ironically, very popular and heavily modded in Arab territories and China...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

in the mean time, there is a pretty amazing Araby mod in the works for Warhammer 2, check out this showcase

I am excite for araby naptha throwers

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I think the first Rome was the last time I played a game on release and thought "wow, this is it, games will never look better than this"

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Since the OP is in joke mode right now, I figured I would ask before I buy--if I can run the first game decently on my laptop will I be able to run this one at a playable level? Battles run at approx 60 fps on high graphical settings, world map less so.

I hope it's good enough, I want to play as the rats :ohdear:

\/\/\/ thanks!

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I HATE GAULS

Sheen Sheen posted:

Since the OP is in joke mode right now, I figured I would ask before I buy--if I can run the first game decently on my laptop will I be able to run this one at a playable level? Battles run at approx 60 fps on high graphical settings, world map less so.

I hope it's good enough, I want to play as the rats :ohdear:

yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DeathSandwich posted:

...You're not?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DeathSandwich posted:

The next time they make Historical Dudes In Potatosacks 3: Without Pontus, they should include a Greenskin invasion near the end and leave it out of every preview or promotional material. Troll the gently caress out of TWC

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

China will grow larger.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Total Dynasty War

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

The next time they make Historical Dudes In Potatosacks 3: Without Pontus, they should include a Greenskin invasion near the end and leave it out of every preview or promotional material. Troll the gently caress out of TWC

There isn't a video game in existence that wouldn't be improved by doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Ironically, very popular and heavily modded in Arab territories and China...

Its not too ironic. Young men tend to have no problem with stereotypes or negative portrayals if it makes them seem metal and badass as hell. I was in the Marines and everyone loved Full Metal Jacket while rolling their eyes at American Hero type media. The locus of outrage in a modern Generals release wouldnt be Average Arab Teenager who would probably be too busy lol'ing at melting people with Anthrax