Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

amotea posted:

Can you link these charts? Last year or so some journalist tried to cash out a small amount and in the end he had to meet a shady dude in a back alley IIRC.

Only thing I could find is this: https://www.gdax.com/trade/BTC-USD

Hit "Depth Chart" and you can see all the buy/sell limit orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Nocheez posted:

That's a great *if*, but *if* I bought it when it was at $6000 yesterday it would be worth $5500 today. What a great investment, only losing a little over 8% of its value in 24 hours!

Well yeah but then you just buy for 5500 again today, and then when it rises to 10k you’ll make even more money!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You noobs just haven’t heard of dollar cost averaging, an advanced technique we traders use to minimize losses

Basically you just buy bitcoin all the time, up or down

Every paycheck, buy bitcoin

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

For whatever reason people felt the need to predict that it was a scam and endlessly post to avoid it entirely

~for whatever reason~

How many exchanges absconded with client funds?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My favorites are when someone fat fingers the transaction fee and loses tens of thousands of dollars in an instant. good times.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress the ROW posted:

No one can cash it out, OP. So its worth maybe 0

all cashout locations are either hacked, defrauded, management ran off with the money, disgruntled employee ran off with critical info, closed without notice, etc.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Burt Sexual posted:

My favorites are when someone fat fingers the transaction fee and loses tens of thousands of dollars in an instant. good times.

At least if you ever go on Jeopardy, you got one of those contestant bios ready.

"Now, let me get this straight. You once paid $20,000 for a pizza?" - Alex Trebek, hopefully.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

all cashout locations are either hacked, defrauded, management ran off with the money, disgruntled employee ran off with critical info, closed without notice, etc.

coinbase.com

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Hit "Depth Chart" and you can see all the buy/sell limit orders.
Those are just orders on the exchange though, eventually you need to exchange the funny exchange dollars for real dollars. That's what we were talking about.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

You keep saying Coinbase, like its the only feasible way to cash out. seems like having one bank in the entire nation to do business with. that wouldn't lead to any issues down the road no sir

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

You keep saying Coinbase, like its the only feasible way to cash out. seems like having one bank in the entire nation to do business with. that wouldn't lead to any issues down the road no sir

There are two exchanges where it's easy to cash out, coinbase and gdax. That there are only two is a problem, yes.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

amotea posted:

Those are just orders on the exchange though, eventually you need to exchange the funny exchange dollars for real dollars. That's what we were talking about.

Gdax lets you trade magic internet money to US dollars.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

CassandraZara posted:

There are two exchanges where it's easy to cash out, coinbase and gdax. That there are only two is a problem, yes.

Do I have to mail them my passport, birth certificate, drivers license, and ssn card still too? (aka identity theft starter pack)

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Do I have to mail them my passport, birth certificate, drivers license, and ssn card still too? (aka identity theft starter pack)

Don't sign up with a chinese VPN and you wont get asked for any of that.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

For coinbase at least you need a photo ID, which is a reasonable standard for prevention of money laundering. My bank required more than that and my identity hasn't managed to get stolen yet.

edit: I managed to sell my one bitcoin that I bought in 2014 for about $4800 in profit. The money has already landed in my account. I'll let you know if my identity gets stolen over it.

CassandraZara fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I am also wealthy in Fappo Bango Dollars

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has the ham sandwich guy posted itt yet

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blast of Confetti posted:

has the ham sandwich guy posted itt yet

Boy, has he.

He posted an article he thought proved some point he was making, but if he actually read the article it says the complete opposite and the quoted expert talks about how bitcoin is not a good currency lol

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine having so much nothing to do that you start frothing at the mouth for not buying bitcoin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Boy, has he.

He posted an article he thought proved some point he was making, but if he actually read the article it says the complete opposite and the quoted expert talks about how bitcoin is not a good currency lol

He said it was a currency, which the goon financial analyst with 140 IQ claimed it absolutely was NOT, I posted that article to show that well, what do you know, he's wrong

Remember the standard argument is that bitcoins are not a store of value OR a currency, thats the buttcoin mantra

So this dude points out that there are issues with it as a currency, but yeah, guess what, he flat out says "oh yeah its a currency"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blast of Confetti posted:

imagine having so much nothing to do that you start frothing at the mouth for not buying bitcoin

imagine being very concerned with how other people post while having nothing to offer to the conversation yourself. This guy doesn't have to imagine

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao you sure got me, keep fighting the power buddy

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

He said it was a currency, which the goon financial analyst with 140 IQ claimed it absolutely was NOT, I posted that article to show that well, what do you know, he's wrong

Remember the standard argument is that bitcoins are not a store of value OR a currency, thats the buttcoin mantra

So this dude points out that there are issues with it as a currency, but yeah, guess what, he flat out says "oh yeah its a currency"

It's not a currency though.

quote:

"I think the better path for bitcoin is to actually make it a digital currency, a currency that you and I can take on our travels and use actually to buy stuff and sell stuff. If that happens, then I'm OK with the pricing," said Aswath Damodaran, a professor of corporate finance and valuation at New York University's Stern School of Business.

"I think we need to stop talking about how much it's gone up in the last year. A good currency is not something you boast about how much money you made in it," Damodaran said. "The pricing is getting out of hand relative to its use as a currency."

Talking about how it should be MADE a currency doesn't mean it is a currency right now.

And then he says this

quote:

Separately, in a blog post on Tuesday, Damodaran laid out why he sees bitcoin as a currency without investable value.

"I will argue that bitcoin is not an asset, but a currency, and as such, you cannot value it or invest in it. You can only price it and trade it," he wrote in the post.

Without explaining why it is a currency. But even he says you can't invest in it and its only for speculative trading at this point.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 25, 2017

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

imagine being very concerned with how other people post while having nothing to offer to the conversation yourself. This guy doesn't have to imagine

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Without explaining why it is a currency. But even he says you can't invest in it and its only for speculative trading at this point.

He says it's a currency. The buttcoiners claimed it's not a currency. This gentleman disagrees, and feels it is a currency. I offered that article as proof of a respected financial analyst, on TV, calling Bitcoins a currency. That's pretty much it buddy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

how dare he shitpost in the bitcoin is stupid thread version 15.2

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I offered that article as proof of a person, on TV, calling Bitcoins a currency. That's pretty much it buddy.

I can show you someone on TV saying that Nibiru is coming but that doesn't make it real. Also that dude is waffling because he is quoted as saying it is a currency but also that it isn't a currency yet so which is it.

BTC is not useful as a unit of accounting or a store of value. It is okay as a medium of exchange but that alone doesn't make it a currency. By definition.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but he said he believes it and has very strong feelings about it being a currency that must mean that it is

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't get it

If you really love your butt coins, isn't it in your best interest for no one else to touch your buttcoins? Shouldn't you be scrooge mcducking your 1s and 0s?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm having to respond to a US government request for Information for my company. One of the questions was describe your experience/thoughts on blockchain technology to be used within a user authentication/authorization system. All I can think of is "Maybe 20 minute logons?"

I mean people are talking/thinking about blockchain, but I don't see it working IRL.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I can show you someone on TV saying that Nibiru is coming but that doesn't make it real. Also that dude is waffling because he is quoted as saying it is a currency but also that it isn't a currency yet so which is it.

BTC is not useful as a unit of accounting or a store of value. It is okay as a medium of exchange but that alone doesn't make it a currency. By definition.

Well, New York University professor of corporate finance and valuation Aswath Damodaran, seems to feel that Bitcoin is a currency

quote:

"I will argue that bitcoin is not an asset, but a currency, and as such, you cannot value it or invest in it. You can only price it and trade it,"

And I posted that link to explain that a NYU professor just described that he feels bitcoin is a currency, I can't wait to hear unix sysadmins with self published ebooks have to say

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm having to respond to a US government request for Information for my company. One of the questions was describe your experience/thoughts on blockchain technology to be used within a user authentication/authorization system. All I can think of is "Maybe 20 minute logons?"

I mean people are talking/thinking about blockchain, but I don't see it working IRL.

What does your company do, Burt, Sexual?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well, New York University professor of corporate finance and valuation Aswath Damodaran, seems to feel that Bitcoin is a currency

And I posted that link to explain that a NYU professor just described that he feels bitcoin is a currency, I can't wait to hear unix sysadmins with self published ebooks have to say

For the 3rd time, that article quotes that guy saying it is a currency and that also it can be a currency one day and that's its path forward so... it can't loving be both at the same time dude.

Also,

quote:

"I will argue that bitcoin is not an asset, but a currency, and as such, you cannot value it or invest in it. You can only price it and trade it,"

This blows apart all your other arguments of "you're an idiot if you don't buy this!"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Burt Sexual posted:

That's because you believe stuff that isn't true and can't think outside of your current experience / secondhand stuff you heard on the internet. I don't even mean this as a slam. Imagine a leech doctor saying "I can't imagine how these pills will ever make people healthy" and you have a good grasp of the situation

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

For the 3rd time, that article quotes that guy saying it is a currency and that also it can be a currency one day and that's its path forward so... it can't loving be both at the same time dude.

Well, in his blog that he wrote on the topic, he says it's a currency. That's why I posted that article. A digital currency, a cryptocurrency.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well, in his blog that he wrote on the topic, he says it's a currency. That's why I posted that article. A digital currency, a cryptocurrency.

quote:

"I think the better path for bitcoin is to actually make it a digital currency, a currency that you and I can take on our travels and use actually to buy stuff and sell stuff. If that happens, then I'm OK with the pricing," said Aswath Damodaran

Fuckin schrodinger's Bitcoin over here.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Fuckin schrodinger's Bitcoin over here.

You seem to be unable to reconcile people expressing things slightly differently in different contexts, but since the blog post was his prepared views on the topic, why not go with that since it's pretty comprehensive

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/

quote:

As I have noted with my earlier posts on crypto currencies, in general, and bitcoin, in particular, I find myself disagreeing with both its most virulent critics and its strongest proponents. Unlike Jamie Dimon, I don't believe that bitcoin is a fraud and that people who are "stupid enough to buy it" will pay a price for that stupidity. Unlike its biggest cheerleaders, I don't believe that crypto currencies are now or ever will be an asset class or that these currencies can change fundamental truths about risk, investing and management. The reason for the divide, though, is that the two sides seem to disagree fundamentally on what bitcoin is, and at the risk of raising hackles all the way around, I will argue that bitcoin is not an asset, but a currency, and as such, you cannot value it or invest in it. You can only price it and trade it.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2017

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's because you are dumb and can't think outside of your current experience / secondhand stuff you heard on the internet. I don't even mean this as a slam.

not a slam, but you're a big bitch idiot!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

not a slam, but you're a big bitch idiot!

Yeah like, if you believe that the iphone 4 or 5 is exactly the right size and that nobody will use phones larger than that, you would be a yospos poster, and you would believe things that aren't true. It's just a sign of inability to predict the future, and I call that dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

schrodinger's Bitcoin

Good screen name material here