Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

this is triggering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Aughhh. Rothfuss, make up your mind if Kvothe isn't a Smooth Charmer or 'shy around women'.

Though I don't know why Fela (IIRC? It's been a few pages and none of the girls at school except Auri have any individual personality) even stands Kvothe after his whole "Maybe you should go rape her in an alley so she'll be justified in being upset at you raping you raper!"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

PJOmega posted:

The audiobook is beautifully narrated and sounds lovely on first pass. Beyond that I got nothing.

Nick Podehl, the audiobook narrator for Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear, also narrated Robert Heinlein's Farmer in the Sky, a book originally serialized in Boys' Life.

So my initial impression of his voice, for the half of Name of the Wind that I bothered to listen to, was still the most in-to-Scouting Boy Scout to ever be a Scout (on Ganymede).

I kind of liked Tarbean, though? I may have just hated Kvothe enough that I really enjoyed hearing him suffer, and was super looking forward to Kvothe going on to Wizard School having learned the lessons of street life (i.e., if you don't like someone, destroy everything they love and light them on fire).

The fact that he didn't solve the rest of his problems with brutal violence and spent the remainder of the book at wizard school is really disappointing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vavrek posted:

I may have just hated Kvothe enough that I really enjoyed hearing him suffer, and was super looking forward to Kvothe going on to Wizard School having learned the lessons of street life (i.e., if you don't like someone, destroy everything they love and light them on fire).

The fact that he didn't solve the rest of his problems with brutal violence and spent the remainder of the book at wizard school is really disappointing.

Definitely would have been better. Sociopath Harry Potter is a good concept. DracoAmbrose bring an insufferable rear end? Burn him alive in his rooms in the inn he purchased out of spite. Arson you say? On what evidence! What a horrible tragedy.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

M_Gargantua posted:

Definitely would have been better. Sociopath Harry Potter is a good concept. DracoAmbrose bring an insufferable rear end? Burn him alive in his rooms in the inn he purchased out of spite. Arson you say? On what evidence! What a horrible tragedy.

This already exists. It's called Wizard People, Dear Reader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaVht51JhVk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_People,_Dear_Reader

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"It's beautifully written" is the lamest, laziest way to praise the book.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

"It's beautifully written" is the lamest, laziest way to praise the book.

It's also false.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Ambrose is one of the biggest reasons why I think it was originally suppose to be a high school story or Kvothe was suppose to be older. Dude does not treat Kvothe like the little brat he is, but like someone his own age being a poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A human heart posted:

It's also false.

Maybe that person considers it to be beautiful like a Jackson Pollock painting. :v:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
e: nvm i found it

tar bean

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
At least the series spawned a rad game: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFA7QFK/

I've played it a handful of times and it's pretty fun!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cicero posted:

Wow, 41 bux for some cardboard and random wooden blocks?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cicero posted:

It's a beautiful game.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
The previous thread made me go through memory lane on all the terrible fantasy I read as a child. I still haven't managed to dethrone joint 1st of TWMF and The Redemption of Althalus.

Any news on book 3?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Brinner posted:

Any news on book 3?

he wrote it 10 years ago so any day now!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Brinner posted:

Any news on book 3?

Day after the last star burns out

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I decided I'm going to the King Killer party on Saturday. It's the second party I'm going to that night so I'll be rocking a light up suit since the other party's theme is "Prom" (ugh, got lovely themed parties this year). Gonna just say I'm a Chandrian because no one can say I'm wrong since they're never really discussed in detail. I'll post pics of my dorky idiot friends.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

PJOmega posted:

It's a beautiful game.

The Pizza guy said it so you know its true.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I decided I'm going to the King Killer party on Saturday.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything is okay.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

This is supposed to be about his writing process but he spends 90% of the video plugging some charity website, so he can't even get that right. :psyduck:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything is okay.

It's an incredibly bad idea for a theme, but knowing my friends I doubt anyone besides the host is going to follow the rules. Especially since maybe like 4 of us have read it and it's just him that's obsessed with it. We'll be playing Tak though. We always do towards the end of the night.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We'll be playing Tak though. We always do towards the end of the night.

So you've played it before? Is it as beautiful as the box claims?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I actually made a sort of effort post in the last thread. Well, effort for my lovely posting anyways.

And apparent;y I can't quote closed threads...here, just have the pictures:

"Takky"

edit:
It's kinda fun if you're drinking and not taking it seriously. It's basically connect four with a few more rules.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 25, 2017

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is supposed to be about his writing process but he spends 90% of the video plugging some charity website, so he can't even get that right. :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's because he doesn't have a process to really talk about. That'd explain where book 3 is.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kchama posted:

Pretty sure it's because he doesn't have a process to really tak about. That'd explain where book 3 is.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm wondering if he planned out the story to be a trilogy originally or just made the first book, saw that it was financially(if not critically) successful and tried to continue from there, and said it was a trilogy just to say something about his work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Story? Planned?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There is no such thing as a single book fantasy story anymore. Everything is always a series. Always. Take that self contained story poo poo and throw it onto your pile of garbage literature.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TV Zombie posted:

I'm wondering if he planned out the story to be a trilogy originally or just made the first book, saw that it was financially(if not critically) successful and tried to continue from there, and said it was a trilogy just to say something about his work.
He hyped it from the beginning as a trilogy that he had already written.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He hyped it from the beginning as a trilogy that he had already written.

I have been writing! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the pages I write, including all the pages I've written here. I'll try this one more time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Solice Kirsk posted:

There is no such thing as a single book fantasy story anymore. Everything is always a series. Always. Take that self contained story poo poo and throw it onto your pile of garbage literature.

If its a single book it cant possibly be genre fiction so it cant possibly be fantasy.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's because no one book could ever do proper justice to the rich worldbuilding that fantasy demands.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

I have been writing! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the pages I write, including all the pages I've written here. I'll try this one more time.
lmao

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the final book will be posted accidentally in the great race space and then rothfuss will be banned

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought of an ending to the series last night. Kvothe finally gets off his rear end and tracks the Chandrian to a palace. He confronts them, the Amyr show up and a big fight happens. The king, who secretly funds the Amyr, is killed in the process. Kvothe manages to kill the weakest of the Chandrian. After the fight he wants to join the Amyr's badass group but they're like "lol no" and peace out.

Kvothe gets blamed for killing the king and gets all depressed since his quest is over and he wasn't accepted by the badass guys. So he opens an inn.

Denna does not appear in the book.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
The real reason why it's taking so long is that Rothfuss is trying to make sure he has his whole trilogy of trilogies worked out and doesn't want to hurt his perfect worldbuilding by having to retcon anything after the fact or possibly just as bad having to sacrifice some of his genius brilliance by going with a sub par ending to not ruin his luscious world.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

The real reason why it's taking so long is that Rothfuss is trying to make sure he has his whole trilogy of trilogies worked out and doesn't want to hurt his perfect worldbuilding by having to retcon anything after the fact or possibly just as bad having to sacrifice some of his genius brilliance by going with a sub par ending to not ruin his luscious world.

Yeah he's let a bunch of nerds pour over every inch of those two books for a decade if he retcons anything it is going to be a poo poo show. I almost feel bad for the guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still waiting for Kvothe to kill an angel.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The "unreliable narrator" and the "it was all rumors" thing are real get out of jail free cards for the series. If Kvothe doesn't actually get around to doing some of the things, he can say it was somebody else but attributed to him by rumor. If things are really unsalvagable Rothfuss can pull the unreliable narrator card.

Also the longer between books, the more anticipation fuels continued interest. A finished series doesn't keep fans on tenderhooks and checking every new blog post the way an unfinished one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ccs posted:

on tenderhooks

:chloe: