Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Sure, but I specifically said point-n-shoot.
Meh. Pixel already blows those out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Timg hellhound, img normal dog. :stare:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android 8.1 Developer Preview is available for all you goons who love pre-release software and want to enable Google's image chip thing on the new Pixels.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16546686/android-oreo-developer-preview-8-1-release
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/25/android-8-1-feature-spotlight-settings-now-colored-navigation-bar-dims/

Oh look something to specifically address burn-in / image retention

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android 8.1 Developer Preview is available for all you goons who love pre-release software and want to enable Google's image chip thing on the new Pixels.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16546686/android-oreo-developer-preview-8-1-release

Nexus 5X and 6P gettin 8.1 :toot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

Nexus 5X and 6P gettin 8.1 :toot:

Does 6P even have 8 yet?

Edit... maybe it's cause I'm rooted... maybe not though

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is there anything I can do if my Pixel 2 is overdue past the ship date? If I get hold of google support will they do anything or do I just have to suck it up and wait?

Edit: They've already charged my bank account if that matters any.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now they just a need to apply it system wide.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DeathSandwich posted:

So is there anything I can do if my Pixel 2 is overdue past the ship date? If I get hold of google support will they do anything or do I just have to suck it up and wait?

Edit: They've already charged my bank account if that matters any.

They were late on sending the notification for me too, it was supposed to ship 10/17 and it hadn't moved the little progress bar or sent an email until like 9AM on the 18th, at which point it was already out for delivery. When I called them, they said it's definitely being processed for shipping if the charge has posted.

I'm assuming it's one of those things where FedEx systems listed the tracking number as "label printed/awaiting pickup" or whatever that initial state is, and for whatever reason it didn't push updates until it was on the truck for delivery, or Google googling the whole thing up and screwing up the "check the tracking, email if shipped" script because of course they would.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

That's pretty awesome because I can see a teeny tiny bit of it on my Pixel XL that's a little over two months old now.

All this talk about burn in and retention made me scrutinize my screen more than is ever necessary. I'd never notice this poo poo during daily use unless it got orders of magnitude worse. E: Now that I'm looking again, I can only barely see the home button. It's a non-issue for me right now.

bull3964 posted:

Now they just a need to apply it system wide.

They've updated the article to say that it is.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 25, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
What day is it again?

They already ninja-edited my ship date from 23rd to 24th, now they're not even bothering to update the page anymore I guess.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Does 6P even have 8 yet?

I got 8 on my N6P. But maybe it was because I was opted into the beta?
Having said that, after recent battery problems I unlocked my bootloader for the first time, manually flashed back to 6.0.0 via ADB, then manually flashed 8 via ADB. Battery problems still exist, but the 8 image was up for download.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is probably gonna garner a big sigh and eyeroll but is there any difference in cables when it comes to quick charge, or charging at all? Or is it just all about the block? I have a workshop powerbar with 2 USB ports I got at Costco and charging my phone on that using a MP premium cable is pretty close or identical to using the OEM charger. I bought a 2 port Anker thing with quickcharge and using the gfs Xbox controller cable on that is just poo poo. Also, are the USB ports in any vehicles worth a gently caress? I had a...not sure if it was a Chrysler 200 or 300 as a rental for work once and the phone would actually discharge if you used it at all while plugged in. My Civic isn't much better, its 2.5 hours to the city and from any kind of low level it wont fully charge on the drive. I use an inverter and plug the Samsung charger into that.

tl;dr looking for a 10' charge cable

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

What day is it again?

They already ninja-edited my ship date from 23rd to 24th, now they're not even bothering to update the page anymore I guess.

My order is also still in process and my card hasn't been charged. Kinda getting irritated since some guy on reddit ordered the same phone I did on the 21st and had his shipped already.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Boywunda posted:

I got 8 on my N6P. But maybe it was because I was opted into the beta?

Assuredly so, I have a 6P on Fi and I'm still on 7.1.2. Never rooted, never opted into any Betas

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Did anybody else pre-order and receive their Pixel 2 through OnTrac?

They claimed my phone was delivered on Friday, it wasn't... so now I'm having to deal with OnTrac's terrible customer service to find out where the hell my phone is. Every time I try to call them I can expect to sit on hold for 15-20 minutes and be met with someone who doesn't know anything and can't tell me anything more than "we are waiting to hear back from the driver"

OnTrac is shady as gently caress and according to some on Reddit, some drivers have been stealing phones as some arrive with nothing in a recently taped up box. I'd personally call Google and ask for a refund and tell them your issue. They might try to get you FedEx or UPS or something.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zero VGS posted:

Does 6P even have 8 yet?

If you're rooted you ain't getting poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Don't worry, the Google Support chat says the Pixel 2XL is fine:

code:
ClosePop outMinimize
Google Support
Yara M4:42 PM
Thanks for contacting Google Support. My name is Yara M.
JMJF4:43 PM
hello!
Yara M4:43 PM
Hi JMJF!
I have a couple questiosn
questions...
JMJF4:44 PM
first about the Pixel 2XL. I've heard a lot about the screen having problems, I'm concerned and wondering if I should cancel my order
Yara M4:44 PM
I read through the descriptions and understand that you've question about Pixel 2XL screen. Am I correct, JMJF?
JMJF4:44 PM
yes
JMJF4:45 PM
is there any news from Google that they are looking into this and make going to delay shipments or offer a concessions since it's sort of a huge deal
Yara M4:45 PM
I know there are some reported issues around phone screens for Pixel 2 XL devices. 
Please know that we put all of our products through extensive quality testing before launch and in the manufacturing of every unit. We take all reports of display issues very seriously, and our engineers investigate quickly. 
While we are investigating a few reports about screen issues, we do not see this as representative of the Pixel 2 XL display.
The Pixel 2 XL screen has been designed with an advanced POLED technology, including QHD+ resolution, wide color gamut, and high contrast ratio for natural and beautiful colors and renderings.
JMJF4:46 PM
so theoretically if I did get a pixel2xl and the screen had a problem, what is my recourse?
Yara M4:48 PM
Don't worry about the screen, we'll definitely go ahead and help you. As I said earlier we do a quality test before the launch of the unit.
Yara M4:49 PM
Pixel 2 XL definitely is a great device, I personally wanted to buy it after seeing its features. It's awesome!
JMJF4:49 PM
lol
k
thanks
second question
about the google home mini
JMJF4:50 PM
I did an order for the pixel 2xl but didn't recieve an email saying that I should be getting a free mini
is that still active?
that promo?
Yara M4:50 PM
May I know when did you ordered the device?
JMJF4:51 PM
Oct 12, 2017
Yara M4:51 PM
Let me go ahead and check that for you.
Yara M4:51 PM
How is the weather out there?
JMJF4:52 PM
don't pretend you aren't a computer ☺️
I know your tricks google
it's really nice here
Yara M4:53 PM
Of course not, I would love to do a video chat to prove that.
JMJF4:54 PM
lol that's just what a computer would say
Yara M4:54 PM
You're really good, however I am a human being.
Yara M4:54 PM
May I have your order id?
JMJF4:55 PM
Order #GS.XXXXXXXXXXXX
Yara M4:55 PM
Thank you so much for the order id.
JMJF4:55 PM
how is your weather
JMJF4:56 PM
also how do you feel about your mother
Yara M4:56 PM
It's nice here too.
Yara M4:57 PM
I love her too. Please allow me 2 minutes to look into the matter.
Yara M4:59 PM
Thank you for being online. I really appreciate it.
JMJF5:00 PM
sure thing
Yara M5:06 PM
You will receive the promo code email approximately 4-6 weeks from the Pixel 2 XL shipment date.
JMJF5:06 PM
and whats the deal with the update that disables the button on it?
Yara M5:08 PM
Nothing, you'll get the promotional code in the email. Just go ahead and use it in the Google Store and you'lll definitely get your Google home mini.
JMJF5:09 PM
k...
can I get some kind of discount or something towards a case because of all the stress from the pixel screen and google home mini problems
like a deal on that leather case since we are best friends and I'm totally convinced taht you aren't a robot
Yara M5:11 PM
I would love to do go ahead and give you a discount on the leather case, however do understand my limitation over here.
JMJF5:11 PM
😞
JMJF5:12 PM
there's got to be something you can do
Yara M5:12 PM
I am really sorry about it.
Yara M5:13 PM
Actually I can understand how you feel right now, because I wanted the same and don't get the discount too.
JMJF5:14 PM
what
no that's madness
you have to get a discount
get your manager
I'll tell him you should get one
Yara M5:14 PM
You've Pixel 2 XL a great device to enjoy all its feature.
Yara M5:15 PM
Thank you so much for your concern.
Yara M5:15 PM
I hope I have answered all your queries.
JMJF5:16 PM
thansk

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Well at least your user name is accurate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dude, don't be an rear end in a top hat to the poor Indian lady.

Especially since she might be Yara M. Greyjoy and will gently caress your poo poo up.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Never mind, it's not worth it

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 25, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This might interest some:

https://twitter.com/AndroidPolice/status/923304943427117056

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Jerk...this is a troll, right? If not, Jesus dude.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice dude, you sure showed them. :thumbsup:

Anyway, my Pixel 2 XL just got in. Setting it up now, so far the screen looks fine to me. The blue tint is real but honestly it isn't nearly as bad as people are saying, although I suppose I can see why it would bother some.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice code bro.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BlackFrost posted:

Nice dude, you sure showed them. :thumbsup:

Anyway, my Pixel 2 XL just got in. Setting it up now, so far the screen looks fine to me. The blue tint is real but honestly it isn't nearly as bad as people are saying, although I suppose I can see why it would bother some.
That's my take on it too. Yeah, there's a blueish tint when you tilt the phone. It's still white.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mogomra posted:

They've updated the article to say that it is.

The dimming is, but not the colored nav bar which is really what needs to happen as well. Hopefully this is an indicator of a step towards that.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I can definitely see where people are coming from re: the washed out look on the screen. I haven't noticed the grain or anything but the colors are definitely muted compared to the original Pixel XL. That said, I don't dislike the look, but I can get why people would be turned off by it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/78r7h0/pixel_2_not_xl_set_up_and_using_for_about_12/

Apparently the normal Pixel 2 is having burn-in issues as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rickets posted:

But are you going to carry your DSLR which hiking up a cliff? Probably not, but it's likely your phone will be there with you...and you will cry salty tears when you drop the $1000 metal and glass box.
What good is it to have a DSLR if you keep it wrapped up all the time in fear of breaking something? Take a risk, will you? And if you frequently spaz and drop things, you probably gave up handling expensive devices, anyway.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My Pixel 2 had the high pitch whine + clicking during phone calls. Support said to turn off NFC.

That solved it.

I'm guessing a software update will solve the NFC loving with the speakers?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

smoobles posted:

My Pixel 2 had the high pitch whine + clicking during phone calls. Support said to turn off NFC.

That solved it.

Yes, coming out this week apparently

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Also, anyone else having a weird delay in the SMS app? I'll press send on a text, and it won't show up inline for up to 1 minute. Also it's taking ~10 seconds for a text to go out.

I just switched from AT&T to Project Fi a few hours ago, so it could be my number not being properly routed yet or something... Very weird.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

That solved it.

Like what use case is there for having NFC going during a phone call? At least have it off when the prox sensor sees you're holding the phone up to your face...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

Assuredly so, I have a 6P on Fi and I'm still on 7.1.2. Never rooted, never opted into any Betas

Nah my mum is using my old one and it’s on 8 (I know because she’s complaining about the in call UI changing and making it easier to accidentally mute the call)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hotsauce posted:

Oled for daydream, which nobody uses.

Classic in-house product, since they used the same name for a phone-docking VR setup and a totally different phone-docking screensaver feature. I hope at least one person has used the shifting color screensaver with it strapped to their face.

smoobles posted:

Radiation/Spagnola orchestration is due for a sequel :3:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

This is probably gonna garner a big sigh and eyeroll but is there any difference in cables when it comes to quick charge, or charging at all? Or is it just all about the block? I have a workshop powerbar with 2 USB ports I got at Costco and charging my phone on that using a MP premium cable is pretty close or identical to using the OEM charger. I bought a 2 port Anker thing with quickcharge and using the gfs Xbox controller cable on that is just poo poo. Also, are the USB ports in any vehicles worth a gently caress? I had a...not sure if it was a Chrysler 200 or 300 as a rental for work once and the phone would actually discharge if you used it at all while plugged in. My Civic isn't much better, its 2.5 hours to the city and from any kind of low level it wont fully charge on the drive. I use an inverter and plug the Samsung charger into that.

tl;dr looking for a 10' charge cable

Cables matter when it comes to USB C but they don't when it comes to the old ones, as far as I know. I just wanted to reply to you to get some visibility for the people who know more.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Is there any way to change what Google Drive folder your photos taken with a Pixel go to? For instance, they're all going to a folder labeled "2017" right now, is there an option to automatically create subfolders by month and have pictures go into the correct folder?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
2-3 in-my-pocket reboots of my Pixel 2 small today, as well as one time while using it it totally locked up, screen turned off, and it needed a long hold of power button reset. Booo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

2-3 in-my-pocket reboots of my Pixel 2 small today, as well as one time while using it it totally locked up, screen turned off, and it needed a long hold of power button reset. Booo.

Google subcontracted XDA for the software this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Zero VGS posted:

What day is it again?

Same issue for me. Same ship date as well. They now tell me they don't know when it'll ship.