Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sigh, guess they are going to do the numbers on the rear wing, even if it is so tiny in speedway config.

At least most of the cars have different paint schemes so it's easier to ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Sigh, guess they are going to do the numbers on the rear wing, even if it is so tiny in speedway config.

At least most of the cars have different paint schemes so it's easier to ID.

i dont think the series has told em to do anything yet, so it could change

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I've gotten so used to the rear blockers that at first glance I keep thinking the car has sustained heavy rear damage.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

So after seeing just how versatile the DW12 is, is there any good reason to move on from it in the foreseeable future? Even if they want to open up development a ton in the 2021 rules, they could still use it as a spec safety cell. The only things I could see forcing a change would be an engine formula that doesn't fit or a new safety development that can't be retrofitted.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Theris posted:

So after seeing just how versatile the DW12 is, is there any good reason to move on from it in the foreseeable future? Even if they want to open up development a ton in the 2021 rules, they could still use it as a spec safety cell. The only things I could see forcing a change would be an engine formula that doesn't fit or a new safety development that can't be retrofitted.

It honestly could go either way, it'll all depend on costs. New chassis are expensive, but can be built around a halo or whatever safety innovations. My guess is that if they can retrofit the DW-12 for halo/windscreen/etc and it be effective there wouldn't be any reason to abandon the DW-12.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Daly out at AJ Foyt Racing.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145254-daly-out-at-foyt

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This silly season has been very silly.

(Reminder I'm tracking everything on p162)

iospace fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was looking forward to a TK/Daly team next year, but as always in racing, money talks. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ah man, thats a huge bummer. I was excited for Daly to learn from a vet like TK.

It's not a surprise to see Leist moving up, British F3 champs who win Lights races right away tend to move up, but I didn't expect it to be Daly that got replaced. Maybe there is a chance for him at Coyne, but frankly Ed Jones getting the boot would be an even bigger travesty.

So on the bench and publicly looking for a full time seat, weve got:

~The Experience Zone~
Kimball (linked to Carlin)
Chilton (linked to Carlin)
Daly
Munoz
Hildebrand

~The Made a few Starts and Seem Like a Good Dude Zone~
Jack Harvey
Stef Wilson

~The Real Fast Lights Guys Zone~
Kyle Kaiser
Santi Urrutia

~The Pretty Fast Lights Guys Zone BRING MONEY~
Zach Clem Demelo
Dean Stoneman
JP Garcia
Shelby Blackstock
Neil Alberico
Juan Piedrahita

And theres lots of other names like Guttierez, Telitz, Enerson, Davison, Vautier, Saavedra, and Aleshin still floating around out there, but i havent really heard them tied to anything. All those other names have been dropped in a Racer article. We need 26 cars.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 25, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A small part of me wonders if anyone is looking at Servia with his extra testing time on the new kit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

A small part of me wonders if anyone is looking at Servia with his extra testing time on the new kit.

Second Rahal seat, again? Would he possibly be NDA’ed due to being the test driver?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Daniil Kvyat is looking more and more open.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I was looking forward to a TK/Daly team next year, but as always in racing, money talks. :(

I too would have loved a TK/Daly team, but in a way I'm fine with Daly being out because of this:

quote:

Multiple sources have said Carlin Racing Indy Lights driver Matheus Leist is on pole position to step into Daly's seat and join fellow Brazilian Tony Kanaan, who was hired to replace Munoz.
The British Formula 3 champ took three wins with Carlin on his American debut, including the Freedom 100 at Indianapolis, and is said to carry funding from Brazilian TV networks who want to develop a young driver next to Kanaan after Team Penske's Helio Castroneves departed for sports cars.

Leist won his rookie Freedom 100 which was also his first career oval race. Paired with TK he could become the next Brazilian powerhouse in IndyCar for many years to come. You'll be seeing a lot of me around the Foyt paddock next year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Second Rahal seat, again? Would he possibly be NDA’ed due to being the test driver?

Sato has that

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

I doubt he'd be NDA'd. Dan Wheldon was signed to drive in 2012, JPM is apparently considering non Penske 500 rides.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished '94. On paper it sounds like a bad season but it isn't really, although the late 90s seasons are better. It would be nice to have 30 car grids again.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

We need 26 cars.

With all the uncertainty about ratings and attendance and TV deals and whatnot, it's reassuring to know that drivers from both the MRTI ladder and from afar are tripping over each other to land a seat in Indycar. It's also good timing that an influx of new teams are popping up to accommodate them.

The only missing ingredient is a third engine manufacturer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

With all the uncertainty about ratings and attendance and TV deals and whatnot, it's reassuring to know that drivers from both the MRTI ladder and from afar are tripping over each other to land a seat in Indycar. It's also good timing that an influx of new teams are popping up to accommodate them.

The only missing ingredient is a third engine manufacturer.

I'm glad they haven't rushed to try to get a third engine. Honda and Chevy have a super good relationship and seem to understand that the success of the series as a whole is ultimately more important than their own successes. Not every company is going to have that same attitude.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm surprised Toyota isn't interested.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/923282475585024000

Was this expected?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No but :getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll take it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So that opens up the second DCR seat for probably Gutierrez.

Harding confirmed they're doing two cars this year right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh snap! That owns hard. Just a few weeks ago, Jones was saying he was expecting to be back at Coyne if anywhere at all, and now hes in a CGR seat. drat.

Sucks that Hartley won't be coming over, but hes living his dream.

I sorta expected a bit of a bidding war for Pigot and Jones, but Pigot smartly took the full time ride right in front of him. Cool to see the young guys progress.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I guess there's room at DCR for Daly (if he has the funding).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Conor losing his ride sucks, but seeing Ed move up is very cool, even if it effectively means Hartley isn't coming over

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I have never been so riveted at Silly Season proceedings.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145272-coyne-we-had-handshake-deal-with-jones

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I seriously thought that this silly season would be rather... dull after Andretti stuck with Honda.

It's been anything but.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh and who wants to see something cool:

https://twitter.com/Hinchtown/status/923269111437774853
(thanks Bentai)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wow, modern dashes. Sweet.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

They should show Hinch watching Trailer Park Boys on that thing :canada:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Streaming episodes of SCTV, I feel like Hinch would curb a joke or two from the McKenzies :canada:

Surprised to see Jones get that ride, wow. Gotta read a bit more this morning.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

More good news, as Jim Cornelison will be back at the 500 next year:

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...n-may-2018-2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Just a loop of Bubbles driving his kart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Wow, modern dashes. Sweet.

Not gonna be satisfied until Hinch puts this on it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sounds like Newgarden has got his passion back for high level racing and has had his head turned at F1 during the USGP.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/us-gp-visit-reignited-my-passion-for-f1-cars-says-newgarden-970762/

I'm expecting him to do some testing for Haas or Toro Rosso during the winter and we'll see from there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

Sounds like Newgarden has got his passion back for high level racing and has had his head turned at F1 during the USGP.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/us-gp-visit-reignited-my-passion-for-f1-cars-says-newgarden-970762/

I'm expecting him to do some testing for Haas or Toro Rosso during the winter and we'll see from there.

Penske will swap Newgarden for Alonso.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’d say there’s small chance he heads to F1 soon, he’s at Penske and set for life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It'd probably take a ride from the Big Three (Merc, Ferrari, RBR) to get him to leave if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Even a midfield ride in F1 will net him more cash than his entire time in IndyCar so far and then he'd definitely be set for life.

• Locked thread