Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Eiba posted:

From a few pages back, but this is one thing that Fallout 4 didn't really do that wrong. It looks exactly like Boston in winter when there's no snow. Fallout 3 was a desert for absolutely no reason, but for Fallout 4 I could totally buy it as a snowless winter.

Seasons and/or greenery would have been nice, but a bleak eternal winter was a pretty beautiful, well done aesthetic.

Rereading your post I realized you're more criticizing the holes in the roof and lack of insulation/clothing in a place where a fair bit of rain and snow are to be expected, and I actually agree with that, but I still want to give Bethesda props for the landscape, if nothing else.

Yeah, the 'feel' of the land really struck me as well. I don't live near Boston but fall in southern Ontario is very close and the world in FO4 when you emerge from the Vault feels very, very familiar. Especially when it's overcast.

I imagine global nuclear war has sufficiently screwed up the weather that it could realistically be explained that it doesn't snow any more but seasons are still something Bethesda, and I suspect the Gamebryo engine as a whole, struggles with. But at least they now have weather working so it's not eternal sunshine like Oblivion. Obsidian did get rain to work somewhat properly in Honest Hearts but I don't recall any other game from that era including anything but night/day. And maybe fog.

It is an entirely different argument for why people haven't figured out how to make bricks or concrete yet, even with all this derelict construction equipment laying around, or still build 'permanent' settlements by haphazardly slapping 2x4s together.

(this may be a double post but I think the forums ate the thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish that the Commonwealth wasn't such a nightmare to navigate. Skyrim's use of different biomes was great for helping orient yourself in the world. But the Commonwealth? The north looks just like the south except with less swamps. And trying to work your way through Boston proper is a chore.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish that the Commonwealth wasn't such a nightmare to navigate. Skyrim's use of different biomes was great for helping orient yourself in the world. But the Commonwealth? The north looks just like the south except with less swamps. And trying to work your way through Boston proper is a chore.

To this day I think the only reason I got through the mall was pure luck.
What incredible/lovely design choices.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Eiba posted:

From a few pages back, but this is one thing that Fallout 4 didn't really do that wrong. It looks exactly like Boston in winter when there's no snow.

Bethesda gets a lot of poo poo, but this is one thing they got right. I've been to Boston loads of times, and they totally nailed it.

Like, the wide street near Diamond City? That's Commonwealth Avenue, known locally as "comm ave". It was amazing to be walking around in Fallout shooting raiders and wild dogs and then look up and say "Wow, I've been here!"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I was a big fan of the design of the F4 city ruins with all sorts of interconnecting alleyways and little hidden nooks, especially compared to the individual cells in F3 connected by the awful, awful subway system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As bad as the subways in F3 are, at least that turned sections of DC into individual cells, so they ran somewhat okay.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So I am finally getting around to Nuka-World but am wondering how to go about it as a 100% Lightside/Paragon/Open Palm character. I got the quest to kill all of the raider faction leaders from the doctor in the market but was wondering if I should do that right away or play the raiders against each other for XP. I also heard there is a a group of merchants that lived in Nuka-World before the raiders took over hiding out somewhere.

No matter what, the Disciples are all going to die.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

MH Knights posted:

So I am finally getting around to Nuka-World but am wondering how to go about it as a 100% Lightside/Paragon/Open Palm character. I got the quest to kill all of the raider faction leaders from the doctor in the market but was wondering if I should do that right away or play the raiders against each other for XP. I also heard there is a a group of merchants that lived in Nuka-World before the raiders took over hiding out somewhere.

No matter what, the Disciples are all going to die.

I clear out the park first and hand everything over to various factions so they repopulate every area. Then I turn the power back on and run through the park killing all the raiders. There's really no difference if you wait or not, but you get more experie if you wait.

For your second point the merchants are all enslaved in the market or dead. You find their remains at the enterance of the Galactic Zone, where you get the details on the little core things you have to collect. liberating Nuka-World doesn't really change anything, except all the merchants in the markets strip naked for some reason.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Trying my hand at a new game of survival. Having fun but I think I lost 3 hours of progress from dying in about a 6 hour session. I'm starting to get confused because I can't remember which of the things I did that was lost due to death as I revisit areas I cleared earlier.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dejawesp posted:

Trying my hand at a new game of survival. Having fun but I think I lost 3 hours of progress from dying in about a 6 hour session. I'm starting to get confused because I can't remember which of the things I did that was lost due to death as I revisit areas I cleared earlier.

Take more naps.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dejawesp posted:

That's why I use the Survival Options mod to set up timed autosaves.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm really interested to see how the VR port works out. Any news beyond the December release date and the tiny bits of gameplay Bethesda released earlier in the year?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I recommend getting a mod called sleep or save. That allows you to save on any bed without actually sleeping (and probably catching a disease).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm really interested to see how the VR port works out. Any news beyond the December release date and the tiny bits of gameplay Bethesda released earlier in the year?

Just reiterating in case you or anyone else didn't know: FO4 VR will be a separate product. You'll have to buy the game a second time.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Just reiterating in case you or anyone else didn't know: FO4 VR will be separate product. You'll have to buy the game a second time.

Yeah I knew about that but if it turned out to actually be good I don't feel bad about buying it again for another $60 or whatever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Just reiterating in case you or anyone else didn't know: FO4 VR will be a separate product. You'll have to buy the game a second time.
And then you'll have to download a mod to fix the field of vision and alleviate the sea sickness

edit:

goddamn

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 25, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I mean, I guess you could tinker around with autosave timing and cross your fingers. Orrrrr you could just be a pro and enable the console and manually save whenever it makes logical sense to do so...?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

All these survival mods. When I google them I get tons of forum threads of people having problems with them.

I got started and have just been putting extra effort into finding beds and such.

Early survival can be really intense. Like a random weak sauce raider with a pipe pistol taking pot shots at you and all of a sudden she nails you in the head with a lucky shot and 75% of your health vanishes and things start to go hazy as you run for cover.

Low level talents too. Like you want everything but can't afford half of it

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

RE: Settlement Chat

Is it possible to build up one settlement and send most of the settlers there? I know some settlers cannot be removed, but I was wondering what the best site would be. Im about 20 hours in, gone as far south as Diamond City, the light house settlement to the east...

I was thinking about stripping everything from the Drive-In and using that? Seems like the biggest flat space to defend and build shacks of bunks for settlers and wall it off.

Should I hold out for another spot?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Drive in is a large, central location that lets you go hog wild with what you wanna do. Plenty of water too.

It's a good choice

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Maggot Soup posted:

Is it possible to build up one settlement and send most of the settlers there? I know some settlers cannot be removed, but I was wondering what the best site would be. Im about 20 hours in, gone as far south as Diamond City, the light house settlement to the east...

I was thinking about stripping everything from the Drive-In and using that? Seems like the biggest flat space to defend and build shacks of bunks for settlers and wall it off.

Starlight Drive-In is pretty good, I've heard some people swear by Spectacle Island but I've never really used it. The Castle is also a good large area, although if you're playing survival it's a pain in the rear end to get to without fast travel. I'd also look into some of the various "enlarged settlement" mods if you really want to go all out and make a large settlement. Check my posts in the modding thread for recommendations depending on what you're looking for.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Also if you're playing vanilla defense is pointless, your settlements will never get attacked. If you want to actually engage with settlement defense, I'd recommend adding War of the Commonwealth or another mod that increases the number of spawns, so that more mobs will happen upon your settlements.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Thanks for the replies. I am playing vanilla, so I'll probably scale back the defenses. I'll check out that War of the Commonwealth though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Maggot Soup posted:

Sanctuary is a good choice for low CHA players, because Preston And Friends perform settler duties but don't count towards the limit. The Drive-In is also good because it's big and flat, and right next to the Diner. That dinky little pool in the center will give you all the fresh water you need (don't ask where it's coming from). Spectacle Island has lots of space but almost none is flat.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The robot farm can be a fun location architecturally, since you can build your settlement into the elevated highway. No shops or anything like that near it though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Maggot Soup posted:

Settlement population is capped at 10+charisma, so there's only so much centralizing you can do. It is buffed charisma, though, so you can dress up nice and crunch down Mentats to help the cause.

Starlight is okay for the purpose. Spectacle Island is the biggest place you can build a settlement, but it's also a little out of the way.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Sanctuary is a good choice for low CHA players, because Preston And Friends perform settler duties but don't count towards the limit. The Drive-In is also good because it's big and flat, and right next to the Diner. That dinky little pool in the center will give you all the fresh water you need (don't ask where it's coming from). Spectacle Island has lots of space but almost none is flat.

As long as you have lots of concrete for the bigass foundation blocks, you can *make* flat space. Spectacle has tons of build-space, but it's a pain to get to. Vault 88 has more space than can really be used without mods, but requires extra work to prepare (radscorpion/deathclaw removal, for instance), and while you have access to multiple exits, they all have downsides: radiation, Super Mutants, synths, and I forget where the othernone sends you. The drive-in is flat and somewhat spacious, but I hated the bits I couldn't remove in vanilla, plus the usable land for farming is pretty much one long strip. (Aesthetic bitching here.)

I'm building up a modset for my second playthrough, and one of the selections increases build area by a large extent for drat near every ownable settlement, so I'll be able Barbie Dream Compound everything a lot more this time. Covenant is going to be the site of an enormous Aztec-y sacrificial pryamid, based on one in the screenshots for the Place Anywhere mod. :unsmigghh: (Decorations from the Raider and Disciples catalogs, and fully staffed by Rust Devil slaughterbots.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

There was some hands on reviews from a gaming convention a month or two ago it did not sound great, it sounded very slapped together especially the teleport felt too quick and had no restrictions and was hard to aim so you'd try to teleport next to a guy you are fighting and end up hundreds of yards away.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Whats the best way to get maximum questing out of Nuka World without pissing off the "good" factions? I read somewhere that you can do it all, just don't actually fight anyone during raids but I'd like to know if this works or if I should just slaughter all the raiders.

A grey-fox style mask would have been great for this.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Glazius posted:

Settlement population is capped at 10+charisma, so there's only so much centralizing you can do. It is buffed charisma, though, so you can dress up nice and crunch down Mentats to help the cause.

Wait, how does that work if/when your charisma reverts?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well once the people are there they don't seem to leave, at least not in my experience. Especially if you give them a job to do.

I have a settlement that I console'd about fifty people into (player.placeatme 20593 1) because I wanted to play a slumlord on that plot with Sim Settlements and didn't have the patience to wait for them to show up naturally and they are all hanging around.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

N17R4M posted:

Whats the best way to get maximum questing out of Nuka World without pissing off the "good" factions? I read somewhere that you can do it all, just don't actually fight anyone during raids but I'd like to know if this works or if I should just slaughter all the raiders.

A grey-fox style mask would have been great for this.

There's two ways to do it; either don't actually finish helping Preston and co. at the museum (basically skipping the tutorial) until after finsihing all of Nuka World, then after you reach Sanctuary he'll give you the chance to kill your raider bros and take back any raider camps to get in his good graces. If you've already rescued him and become the Minutemen leader, then he'll be mad the second you turn one of your Commonwealth settlements into a raider base by planting the flag there. You can still beat the game with the Minutemen ending and all, he just won't personally follow you or give you anymore settlement rescue quests. This is kind of a benefit honestly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

There was some hands on reviews from a gaming convention a month or two ago it did not sound great, it sounded very slapped together especially the teleport felt too quick and had no restrictions and was hard to aim so you'd try to teleport next to a guy you are fighting and end up hundreds of yards away.

Apparently FO4 has controller movement in addition to teleport, so for people who aren't made sick by the controller movement there's that. Do you remember where the critical reviews were? All the ones I found in Google seem pretty fluffy (and positive).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

After 2 years it finally happened.

No I earned this :negative:

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
For some reason, there's something in the cell south west of Jamaica Plain waypoint that just slaughters the game immediately. Not sure what kind of mod could cause it, and it seems there's no way to track it? What a bummer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RangerKarl posted:

For some reason, there's something in the cell south west of Jamaica Plain waypoint that just slaughters the game immediately. Not sure what kind of mod could cause it, and it seems there's no way to track it? What a bummer.

Hah, welcome to modding Gamebryo* engine games.

*yes, I know they call it something else now, but let's face it the bones are the same as Morrowind.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Just want to go on record and say gently caress off to the dev who thought this game needed a portal style minigame. Tia.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, how does that work if/when your charisma reverts?

You won't be able to send people to a settlement that's at or above cap, and a radio tower won't pull them there either.

They don't abandon the place or get a negative moodlet or anything, the cap is only checked when you're trying to get them there in the first place.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

Just want to go on record and say gently caress off to the dev who thought this game needed a portal style minigame. Tia.

You only need to do the one for the story and it was, at least, a bit different from the main game

I didn't hate it. I didn't like it either, especially after I figured out I was in tgm and that's why I could build funny and unintended ways to solve the puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

xxEightxx posted:

Only the first three levels are needed to advance the plot, the last two give minor rewards.

The last level is incredibly tedious and spergy, even I threw up my hands and quit after an hour.

• Locked thread