Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DLC Inc posted:

Man I'm at a point in Route C where I realize I'm underleveled by just a little but getting like 2-shotted by loving everything. It sucks because combat being that much more of a slog at 15 hours in s loving awful and it's weird how I'm being punished for not doing more sidequest stuff. Is there an easy way to grind back up or should I just put the difficulty down until the levels are more equal?

Just put the difficulty down and leave it there. You don't miss out on anything at all for playing on Easy and by this point you should just focus on finishing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

The Sandman posted:

The trick with the village will be never going there as 9S before finishing A2's side of the route.

Would that even be possible? I feel like some critical quests happen there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Archenteron posted:

If you're into experimental noise electronica, apparently Drakengard 1's ost is mind boggling.

Or if you ever wondered what would happen if you dosed an entire orchestra with Scarecrow's fear toxin and forced them to play a concert while tripping their pants off in terror

Cutting up and looping classical pieces to punish the player further (it's even called the Harddisk Symphony Orchestra in the credits, loving lol) is one thing, but the fact that they actually recorded the source material specifically for the game instead of using public domain recordings is straight up baffling. Composers would kill to have their material performed live and here they went spending boatloads of money just to make annoying samples :devil:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DLC Inc posted:

Man I'm at a point in Route C where I realize I'm underleveled by just a little but getting like 2-shotted by loving everything. It sucks because combat being that much more of a slog at 15 hours in s loving awful and it's weird how I'm being punished for not doing more sidequest stuff. Is there an easy way to grind back up or should I just put the difficulty down until the levels are more equal?
The beginning of C is by far the most difficult part of the game after the intro. The enemies don't actually increase in level through C so the struggle is short for what it's worth.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

DLC Inc posted:

I was in the same position. I wound up learning to abuse the poo poo out of dodging and slotted chips to get like 40% health back on a kill.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drakengard's bizarre discordant soundtrack is one of the best things about the the game and matches its tone completely.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I love how people have just started spilling spoilers into the LP thread.

“Now this isn’t really a spoiler, but *SEVERAL MAJOR SPOILERS*”

What is wrong with these people?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

...! posted:

I love how people have just started spilling spoilers into the LP thread.

“Now this isn’t really a spoiler, but *SEVERAL MAJOR SPOILERS*”

What is wrong with these people?

I posted the speculative conclusion that I came to after that sequence back when I first played the game, I hope I didn't misstep in doing that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

I posted the speculative conclusion that I came to after that sequence back when I first played the game, I hope I didn't misstep in doing that.

In this thread, nothing wrong with that.

In the LP thread where Id specifically says not to spoil poo poo, and posting "speculation" with lots of wink wink nudge nudge because the poster obviously knows what's going to happen, yeah no gently caress off. It's not cute and nobody wants it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Haha, they’re still doing it.

“I hope such and such happens.”
“Weeeeeeell... here’s how it happens.”

That thread's gonna get locked so hard.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
To change the discussion away from whatever bullshit that is, "Weight of the World" came up on my playlist and it's amazing how I still get tingles from the song.

And it's kinda crazy how it's pretty much impossible to explain to someone that hasn't played the game why.

also the English version is so way better than the Japanese one drat

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Weight of the World doesn't always have that effect on me, but vague hope (cold rain) definitely does. Even without having gone through nier1 yet Kaine's theme has that effect too after doing the gathering keepsakes quest.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Weight of the World doesn't always have that effect on me, but vague hope (cold rain) definitely does. Even without having gone through nier1 yet Kaine's theme has that effect too after doing the gathering keepsakes quest.
I feel the same way about Emil (Sacrifice). Every time it played in the original NieR, really sad poo poo was about to go down. "Kaine (Salvation)" always takes me back to the scene where Kaine wakes up and how she reacts to seeing Emil's new form. The pieces are all fantastic on their own, but the way they are tied to the events of the games is incredible.

I burnt myself out listening to "Weight of the World" when Automata first came out, but the pre-chorus line "Is this the price I'm paying for my past mistakes?" hurts fresh every time. Every character in the game is trapped in a cycle of self-inflicted punishment, and the ending represents the opportunity to finally move forward.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
lol the only way to escape the cycle of the world and reach nirvana is of course the annihilation of the self, to unplug your id

your, personality chip if you will

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Explosions posted:

My one bit of happiness from this update was that at least now we wouldn't have to suffer through a late game revelation that 2B has been in love with 9S all along, and now the spoiler dipshits are all smirk smirk we'll find out her motivations later smirk smirk and I want to put a brick through my screen.

I was laughing so hard at this post. Really hope they follow up on it when the LP proves them wrong.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

lol the only way to escape the cycle of the world and reach nirvana is of course the annihilation of the self, to unplug your id

your, personality chip if you will

OS chip, got it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I just never thought of the direct buddhist poo poo, like how the game is basically us going through the realm of fighting demons, unable to escape it due to our karmic burdens forcing us to be reborn there constantly

we literally ascend and leave that plain as 9S if we pick the rocket

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But none of that stuff is really important because what really matters is 9S getting to be with the world's best butt. Karmic cycles etc etc seem so insignificant compared to that

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Ending D is the best ending and I stand by that opinion.

The way I see it Ending D is the good ending, in that it causes the most benefit for the largest amount of characters. Meanwhile Ending E is the happy ending as defined by Taro, in that whether good or bad the main character got what they wanted.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
https://soundcloud.com/toadsanime/toad-on-games-10-near-the-tomato-ft-kira-buckland0

Hour-long podcast that's essentially an extended interview of 2B's voice actress Kira Buckland. Includes topics like working on the game, fan reactions, starting out as a VA, ect. Enjoyed it a lot so I figured I would post it here.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have listened to Wretched Weaponry (Medium-Dynamic) probably 1-2+ times every single day since March

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

The way I see it Ending D is the good ending, in that it causes the most benefit for the largest amount of characters. Meanwhile Ending E is the happy ending as defined by Taro, in that whether good or bad the main character got what they wanted.

You know ending E can come after ending D, right?

And considering a lot of the people receiving the benefit in ending D are jackasses even by Drakengard standards (as opposed to Jackass, who is the fun kind of horrible person), I can't say their happiness is that much of a factor in my decision-making.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

As has been said, this ending means that the worst parts of the machine network get to have a happy ending and after everything they have done, I stand firmly with my decision to gently caress them over.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
"My perceived enemies don't deserve a chance of happiness" is a very Taro protagonist way to think!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) whoops thought this was the LP thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

"My perceived enemies don't deserve a chance of happiness" is a very Taro protagonist way to think!

I didn't even say that.

I said prioritizing their happiness over that of people who don't want to psychologically torture and murder innocent people is pretty loving stupid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This game has the best sound design of the generation, of which music is a significant but not all encompassing part. The way it layers music tracks, 8bit and or simply strips out tracks is insane, and the voice acting, at least in Japanese, is just about beyond compare. I can't speak for the English.

If you're making a gaming award and NieR: Automata isn't nominated for sound, your awards are....

poo poo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The English voice acting is pretty good. Kyle McCartney does an amazing job as 9S through route C.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the english VOs are generally very good

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The English voice acting in Automata is A+ and it slightly bums me out when some people default to the Japanese version.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

KamikazePotato posted:

The English voice acting in Automata is A+ and it slightly bums me out when some people default to the Japanese version.
Same, as I said earlier, the difference is really apparent for instance in weight of the world in how much better the English version is

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This game has the best sound design of the generation, of which music is a significant but not all encompassing part. The way it layers music tracks, 8bit and or simply strips out tracks is insane, and the voice acting, at least in Japanese, is just about beyond compare. I can't speak for the English.

If you're making a gaming award and NieR: Automata isn't nominated for sound, your awards are....

poo poo
The transition into and out of the hacking segments was still incredible after hundreds of hacks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Same, as I said earlier, the difference is really apparent for instance in weight of the world in how much better the English version is

I would agree if I get to be nitpicky and annoying and say that I agree that Weight of the World English is better with how the lyrics sound in conjunction to the instruments but the lyrics themselves are, uh, on the nose to put it generously.

Of course I haven't investigated what the translated Japanese lyrics are either so they could be equally as subtle.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I played through it with both JAP/USA VA versions and I prefer Japanese voice. I know this is an :siren: unpopular opinion :siren: but I really haven't heard an english VA that does an ...ahem..anime themed project without it sounding a bit on the corny side to me. But maybe that's because I think anime stuff is corny in general and having a foreign accent hides some of the cheese for me. (I still love, play and watch the stuff, so hey)

Again, my humble, unpopular opinion. I have tremendous respect for the American VAs and the amazing job they did for Nier. It's just not my thing.

edit: PS I loved this goddamned game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VA for Adam/Eve/9S/Pascal is good but 2B and A2 are boring to a point where the script undermines the voicework.

I'm torn between this and Persona 5 for what's my favorite soundtrack this year, though they're wildly different.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The way it layers music tracks, 8bit and or simply strips out tracks is insane
Most AAA games these days have more complex dynamic music systems (N:A doesn't do stingers or beatsynced switching to transition, for instance). It's just that this particular OST is extremely good and based more on leitmotifs than underscoring. That makes the simple transitions actually memorable.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Professor of Cats posted:

I played through it with both JAP/USA VA versions and I prefer Japanese voice. I know this is an :siren: unpopular opinion :siren: but I really haven't heard an english VA that does an ...ahem..anime themed project without it sounding a bit on the corny side to me. But maybe that's because I think anime stuff is corny in general and having a foreign accent hides some of the cheese for me. (I still love, play and watch the stuff, so hey)

Again, my humble, unpopular opinion. I have tremendous respect for the American VAs and the amazing job they did for Nier. It's just not my thing.

edit: PS I loved this goddamned game.

I agree. English dubs rarely match the tone of the original language 100%. Automata's English cast is fantastic, but they miss the mark a few times throughout the story.

Cowboy Bebop seems to be the go-to example of a perfect English dub, but English VAs never sound as good as Norio Wakamoto's villain voice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

I agree. English dubs rarely match the tone of the original language 100%. Automata's English cast is fantastic, but they miss the mark a few times throughout the story.

Miss the mark, or play it different?

They aren't the same thing, after all.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I don't think anyone could top Norio Wakamoto at voicing anything though. I'd be fine with him voicing 2B so long as I got to hear more of that cat's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anime Japanese is pretty much to regular Japanese as dub English is to regular English. I'm so used to anime Japanese that even after learning to enunciate close to proper Japanese I still process them both at pretty much the same level, separately. Maybe you can do the same to anime dub English.