Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly i expected at least a good 420~430, given the history of TT 6ers. Seems like a case of lower flow turbos.

That is some monstrous loving torque tho.

It’s at the wheels on an awd platform that showed a 70hp drivetrain efficiency loss on the stock dyno run. Figure if that stays consistent then it’s around 470hp at the crank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

I much prefer my manual in traffic than an DSG I’ve ever come across - they simply aren’t well behaved at low speeds compared to a proper auto and are only there for cost reasons.

Good DCTs are fine in pretty much any traffic. I've had 2 different ones and they both were just as good DDs as an average auto regardless of traffic.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Torque converter with full lockup has way better low speed behavior while still being as mechanically efficient. Even the weights are improving.

Bumper to bumper, the best is advanced cruise control. Taking a train literally stinks (like piss)

My wife's car has a DCT with advanced cruise and it can pretty much autodrive even in stop and go traffic with the only driver interaction being tapping the gas to re-engage from a stop. Overall it's just as good in all conditions as my ZF 8HP which is the best auto I've driven a significant amount of time.

The early VW and Ford DCTs were pretty rough but the good ones are incredibly good and I hate seeing them lumped in with the bad econobox units.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Well I don’t know about exotics but I haven’t been impressed with anything in the cheaper Volkswagens like the Golf and Passat. It’s like CVTs - I’m sure there are good ones out there but then you get the rubbish they put in Quasqais and Xtrails.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm just saying, they will have to pry my clutch pedal from my cold dead leg. :bahgawd:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CornHolio posted:

I'm just saying, they will have to pry my clutch pedal from my cold dead leg. :bahgawd:

This is me, autos and dcts and cvts have been better than manuals for a long long time. But I don't care, I'll give manual when driverless cars are here.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Well I don’t know about exotics but I haven’t been impressed with anything in the cheaper Volkswagens like the Golf and Passat. It’s like CVTs - I’m sure there are good ones out there but then you get the rubbish they put in Quasqais and Xtrails.

Yeah, the cheaper stuff was bad and is getting better but modern autos are getting better even faster so I wouldn't be surprised to see DCTs mostly phased out which makes me sad because they're so cool on performance cars.

CornHolio posted:

I too. 1 auto, 1 dct, 3 manuals for days when I'm feeling saucy

:getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Pedestrian safety regs are ridiculous these days

Health and safety gone mad.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly i expected at least a good 420~430, given the history of TT 6ers. Seems like a case of lower flow turbos.

That is some monstrous loving torque tho.

Crikey.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CornHolio posted:

I enjoy driving? :shrug:

My truck, and my wife's Focus, are fun as hell to drive because they're both five-speeds. If they had automatics I would hate driving them.

What do the Audi RS7, Alfa Romeo Giulia, and Aston Martin DB11 all have in common?

They’re all great fun to drive and all use ZF’s 8-speed auto.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I think he's saying manual transmission is brining something resembling fun to otherwise mundane commuter/moving poo poo mobiles. And I agree with him. Of course an Aston and high hp Audis and Alfas would be fun to drive with a great 8 speed auto, and obviously they are way more adept than me at shifting. He's wringing fun out of a drive in a dime a dozen car/truck just by having gears to shift. I've been there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

drgitlin posted:

What do the Audi RS7, Alfa Romeo Giulia, and Aston Martin DB11 all have in common?

They’re all great fun to drive and all use ZF’s 8-speed auto.

Yeah but I'd probably have more fun with a slower, rougher, less efficient 6 speed in any of those cars.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be in that Vision Coupe concept, but that looks an awful lot like a 6-speed shifter...

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Also, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be in that Vision Coupe concept, but that looks an awful lot like a 6-speed shifter...

There's a big N button on the top so probably not.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The CX5 is going to be my last gas car so I guess the Speed3 will be my last manual. Whatever.

I wonder how that dash concept will translate into production, but the rest of the Kai concept looks pretty close to production-ready so I don't imagine it's that far out from what they'll end up doing. It looks like the display extends halfway into the passenger's side of the dash. The gauges are gorgeous, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I wonder how that dash concept will translate into production, but the rest of the Kai concept looks pretty close to production-ready so I don't imagine it's that far out from what they'll end up doing.
There's no way they're gonna waste packaging space with those big fender flares and tight wheel arches. They'll get pared down to what the 3 has now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Eat This Glob posted:

I think he's saying manual transmission is brining something resembling fun to otherwise mundane commuter/moving poo poo mobiles. And I agree with him. Of course an Aston and high hp Audis and Alfas would be fun to drive with a great 8 speed auto, and obviously they are way more adept than me at shifting. He's wringing fun out of a drive in a dime a dozen car/truck just by having gears to shift. I've been there.

Even the regular old 2.0L Giulia is a ton of fun with the 8HP, you don’t need to spend $80k to enjoy that car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Given the choice my garage would have 1 auto (10A F150), 1 single speed (Tesla), and 1 manual (6M Mustang).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

drgitlin posted:

Even the regular old 2.0L Giulia is a ton of fun with the 8HP, you don’t need to spend $80k to enjoy that car.

This feels like a Price is Right game where I need to figure out the missing digit to the hp what would make the statement true.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

This feels like a Price is Right game where I need to figure out the missing digit to the hp what would make the statement true.

it's 0 with a decimal

0.8hp

because it only moves on the starter motor.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

Given the choice my garage would have 1 auto (10A F150), 1 single speed (Tesla), and 1 manual (6M Mustang).

Kill, Marry, gently caress

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

davebo posted:

Kill, Marry, gently caress
Work (and sometimes play), daily, play. 😎

Also own, deposit, had.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Minnesota Mixup posted:

There's a big N button on the top so probably not.

:smithcloud:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

The DSG in the standard golf is pretty rough at low speeds however the 6 speed in the GTI is a lot better. I was driving a friends base golf 7 a few weeks ago and it just shuddered all the time at low RPM's whereas I've very rarely noticed the one in my car struggling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm seriously thinking of trading in my automatic xB for a manual, not happy with the automatic wtf was I thinking.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aargh posted:

The DSG in the standard golf is pretty rough at low speeds however the 6 speed in the GTI is a lot better. I was driving a friends base golf 7 a few weeks ago and it just shuddered all the time at low RPM's whereas I've very rarely noticed the one in my car struggling.

The GTI one isn't great in my experience either - its definitely better than the little 7 speed but nothing like a proper auto.

Apparently the big 7 speed you get in the longitudinal cars is a lot better but I've never driven one of them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had the strangest experience with the original DSGs (DQ250) in the Golf Mk5 GTI, on two separate occasions in two separate cars. After some fairly spirited driving (not track driving, think quite fast twisty road driving), the car reeked of burnt clutch, which is just really weird since the DQ250 uses wet clutches?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The SST/DSG/DCT/WHATEVER in my evo is a getrag box that is used by VW, Volvo, Ford and some one else and its actually fine at low speeds, if a little doughy feeling when its in 'normal' mode. sport/super sport mode make it engage much more positively. It occasionally bucks a bit with AC engaged at low speed but its a single kick when the AC clutch engages rather than a bunny hop while attempting to coast.

the only thing that bothers me about it is the mad-dash to 6th gear regardless of if that is the best gear to be in when using normal mode, and the 3 different modes being well, too different. Normal is fine as a commuting setting but sport is too aggressive to leave in auto mode. it holds gears til 4000 RPM, and downshifts at 3000RPM, and S-Sport is 5500/4000 respectively. each mode adjusts how aggressive the shifts are too, from 'slipped' to 'bitey' to 'BANG'

so you either have it trying to maintain low speed on a hill and constantly juggling 4th/5th in normal mode, or sitting in 3rd and holding 4k RPM.

Ideally you'd have normal stay as is but shift down gears sooner, sport be the same but change up/down with 15% less RPM, and super sport can stay as-is because its basically only for the track anyway. In manual mode the shift points dont matter as it pre-selects the predicted next-gear based on which pedal your foot is on, at least thats how I think it works.

Either way for one of the earlier DSG gearboxes (2009), I was surprised. I dont get the complaints about them but then again the evo probably has a nicer DSG than the cheap golfs did around the same era.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

The GTI one isn't great in my experience either - its definitely better than the little 7 speed but nothing like a proper auto.

Apparently the big 7 speed you get in the longitudinal cars is a lot better but I've never driven one of them.

I had a DCT S4 for a few years and it wasn't perfect but was a perfect match for the car and still great for daily driving. I tried an A6 and SQ5 which had the same engine paired to a traditional auto and while good, it definitely dulled the experience. Since then we bought a Macan with the PDK and that thing is incredible. It's as smooth as the best auto but can get as sharp as any car I've driven just by changing modes. I don't know how they made it so smooth because despite spending tens of thousands of miles in the S4, I didn't even realize the Macan had the PDK instead of an auto after the first drive since I never had really looked into them enough to know otherwise.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's the X2.

M1 style roundels on the C Pillar are back.

quote:

Despite a name that suggests something bigger than the X1, the X2 is actually smaller than its crossover sibling. Both vehicles have the same wheelbase, but the X2 is 3.2 inches shorter and rides 2.8 inches lower than the BMW X1.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's the X2.

M1 style roundels on the C Pillar are back.

quote:

quote:
Despite a name that suggests something bigger than the X1, the X2 is actually smaller than its crossover sibling. Both vehicles have the same wheelbase, but the X2 is 3.2 inches shorter and rides 2.8 inches lower than the BMW X1.

This is so illogical it's hard to believe it came from the Germans. Such disorder would normally cause horror.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is that the one based on the MINI countryman platform or whatever?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Honda secretly installs the best DCT in the otherwise lackluster Acura TLX and mates it to a honey of a 4 cylinder. It has a torque converter built in, 8 ratios, shifts fast and smooth, and retains that dual-clutch efficiency.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been DDing my wife's manual car for about a month now while I decide if I want to buy one. I still have pretty rocky starts and hills make me a little nervous but man it's fun rowing through the gears when you get going, even though the car has like 140hp or something. I can only imagine how much more fun it is when you're good at it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mental Hospitality posted:

Honda secretly installs the best DCT in the otherwise lackluster Acura TLX and mates it to a honey of a 4 cylinder. It has a torque converter built in, 8 ratios, shifts fast and smooth, and retains that dual-clutch efficiency.

Well the dual clutch efficiency is mostly from removing the pumping and fluid shear losses of the torque converter, so adding it back kind of removes most of the efficiency benefit. Honda did it for the same reason they do a lot of poo poo - they want to do everything in house and there's too many patents that need to be licensed in the torque converter auto field. I don't think it's any more efficient than regular automatics, it's probably less.

The idea way to incorporate DCTs is to just have a hybrid system and do low speed crawling in pure EV mode, which basically eliminates 90% of the proglems that DCTs have. Kia's hybrids use them like this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

prom candy posted:

I've been DDing my wife's manual car for about a month now while I decide if I want to buy one. I still have pretty rocky starts and hills make me a little nervous but man it's fun rowing through the gears when you get going, even though the car has like 140hp or something. I can only imagine how much more fun it is when you're good at it.

The newer manuals all have hill hold too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've quite literally NEVER UNDERSTOOD why people who drive a manual will prefer to sit at a traffic light on a hill with their foot on the brake for 20 seconds or more and then inevitably roll backwards towards you before they manage to pull off.

That's what the handbrake is for! At lights I just put it on so I don't have to do anything. As the light begins to turn, throw it into 1st, handbrake off and I'm away. If using the handbrake is too much of a chore whilst you're driving, take a loving bus.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've quite literally NEVER UNDERSTOOD why people who drive a manual will prefer to sit at a traffic light on a hill with their foot on the brake for 20 seconds or more and then inevitably roll backwards towards you before they manage to pull off.

That's what the handbrake is for! At lights I just put it on so I don't have to do anything. As the light begins to turn, throw it into 1st, handbrake off and I'm away. If using the handbrake is too much of a chore whilst you're driving, take a loving bus.

That's because that's how it's taught in the UK, whereas in North America manual transmission is taught by your mate who knows how to drive stick showing you how, and all the bad habits that entails. Also the MOT checks the function of the hand brake each year, instead of somewhere between when you sell the vehicle and never.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I mean in the UK too! Just endless queues of bellends sat on their loving brakes blinding the person behind in a never ending line of complete twattery.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean in the UK too! Just endless queues of bellends sat on their loving brakes blinding the person behind in a never ending line of complete twattery.

That does sound like the UK... Add some dark at 5pm and drizzle and I might start getting nostalgic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Olympic Mathlete posted:

People dont get their rear brakes adjusted and they eventually stop holding the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why is this exclusive to manual drivers? Auto drivers can't do the same thing because?

The only time I use the hand brake is when parked or in a drive thru. Even on steep hills you don't need it.