Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

fsif posted:

Am I wrong in thinking this is an easy fix? Can't a coach just say "hey Trevor, stop doing that loving thing with your foot when we're about to throw a screen"?

Depends. I brought up the issue of Vick never learning how to slide (which came up because Wentz refuses to slide sometimes and it's scary as poo poo) in another thread, and it's a similarly simple "do this, numbnuts" thing that just never got corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Siemian is probably going to put up 300 yards against the Chiefs and I will be livid. Again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Toaster Beef posted:

Depends. I brought up the issue of Vick never learning how to slide (which came up because Wentz refuses to slide sometimes and it's scary as poo poo) in another thread, and it's a similarly simple "do this, numbnuts" thing that just never got corrected.

I'm glad my dumb QB knows how to slide.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
So what's the deal with Cam? Did the super bowl loss gently caress with his head that bad, or is it something else exacerbating the worst qualities people were worried about when he came out of college?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Too many probiotics

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Toaster Beef posted:

It's a little easier than sliding if it's presnap. Just be like hey idiot first check is making sure your goddamn feet are square before you do anything else because your tells are more obvious than teddy KGBs. Sliding is a heat of the moment thing.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

fishing with the fam posted:

So what's the deal with Cam? Did the super bowl loss gently caress with his head that bad, or is it something else exacerbating the worst qualities people were worried about when he came out of college?

I think all that head trauma, and it doesn't seem like he is having a lot of fun anymore. I would be hard pressed to go out and do a presser if I'm just not enjoying what I am doing

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

seiferguy posted:

I'm glad my dumb QB knows how to slide.

If he didn't have a self-preservation rating of 1000 he'd probably be another RG3.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

fishing with the fam posted:

It's frustration. It's always been his problem. Especially when things spiral out of control like they are now. Also he's probably tired of walking the tightrope the media puts him on and not being able to truly point out the things he thinks are wrong with the team without being utterly crucified. The entire Panthers organization has MASSIVE problems right now.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Am I allowed to say "lost season"?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hightower out for Rams Chargers game.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 26, 2017

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

EmbryoSteve posted:

I think all that head trauma, and it doesn't seem like he is having a lot of fun anymore. I would be hard pressed to go out and do a presser if I'm just not enjoying what I am doing

This and being played on a injured throwing shoulder during a lost season while Luke sat didn't help.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Im forwarding this to the Raiders tia

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Hightower out for Rams Chargers game.

Is this significant

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

a neat cape posted:

Is this significant

He's our only good linebacker.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So expect some random-rear end scrub from Rutgers to get 2 sacks, 5 QB pressures, 3 tackles for a loss and a pick, got it.

Obviously a white guy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rivers is gonna have a good game in the inevitable 35-21 loss

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, is this the worst season of the superbowl era in terms of just general play? Because good gods it feels like it.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Patriots are going to win but I do think the Chargers will give 'em a game and make them sweat it out. Their defense is absolutely terrible and while the Chargers' offense has looked out of sync at times, they've also played some really good defensive teams and they're figuring out their strengths more and more every week. The pass rush will probably rattle Brady some with how well they've been playing. However I do also think the Patriots are going to exploit the Chargers' weaknesses at safety and linebacker. I do also think they're going to trail the Pats for a lot of the game because the offense has been slow to start out of the gate.

Mostly i'm just hoping for a good, competitive game that doesn't result in the Chargers taking any significant injuries.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Patriots defense has given up 14, 17 and 7 points the last three weeks. They're quietly returning to bend but don't break form.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Patriots defense has given up 14, 17 and 7 points the last three weeks. They're quietly returning to bend but don't break form.

idk, i think they put 12 men on the field last game because who was gonna notice?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

iospace posted:

Question, is this the worst season of the superbowl era in terms of just general play? Because good gods it feels like it.

I think for Oline play probably. QB play it's tough...

Let's see, let's do a quick QB rating compare with 2016, and divide into groups:

The 100 club:
2016 - Ryan, Brady, Dak, Rodgers, Brees
2017 - Alex Smith, Brady, Cousins, Wentz, Rodgers, Watson, Brees

Everyone with a 100+ QB rating. So off the bat, we can say, there's more top flight guys then last year, but Alex Smith is never going to get the universal credit even Matt Ryan did, and nobody really believes in Kirk Cousins either in their heart of hearts. Rodgers is dead, and Watson, while being awesome and all, is on a team with 1/20th the media footprint of Dallas.

Everything is cool:
2016 - Cousins, Carr, Luck, Mariota, Bradford, Roethlisberger, Tannehill, Stafford, Wilson
2017 - Dak, Wilson, Carr

So this is where things get interesting. This list is basically guys with a healthy over 90 QB rating, where there's no complaints about their play, and if things are going wrong, it probably isn't their fault, and that group is just MIA this year.

I trust them:
2016: Dalton, Alex Smith, Tyrod, Rivers,
2017: Winston, McCown, Tyrod, Goff, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, Roethlisberger

Guys who are still pretty good, roughly around average starter wise, but without quite the universal support the guys above have.

I'm asking some questions
2016: Kaepernick, Palmer, Winston, Eli, Siemian, Flacco,
2017: Keenum, Eli, Palmer, Dalton, Mariota, Cam

The guys who are having down years (or just their normal level years)

Rookies, busted dudes and washouts
2016: Wentz, Bortles, Keenum, Brock, Cam, Fiztpatrick, Goff
2017: Siemian, Bortles, Brissett, Cutler, Glennon, Hoyer, Flacco, Kizer

The guys you didn't wanna be watching play.

So yeah, more busted dudes this year, less good QB's, more QB's that should be good, but you've gotta make some excuses for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So cam has washed out? :smith:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nah, but I mean he was real busted last year. This year he's had his ups and downs, but I don't think he's hosed. I mean he's not Joe Flacco.

He can be way better, but I was doing that fast, so I used tiers that are roughly by Qb rating.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

palmer was better now than in 2016 but he's broke now so whatever

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Cam's only 28. If he can get his head right I wouldn't be shocked to seem him bounce back and have a great year in 2018. I really doubt he's washed up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

replacing Rodgers, Palmer and Cutler with their backups won't help things any. (i mean, except in cutler's case where moore is a legitimate upgrade).

also i suspect that we will see at least one more big QB injury before the year is out. Carr, Jameis and Mariota have had to sit games, and Flacco and Big Ben are injury-prone enough that they probably won't play the full 16. If we're lucky it will just be like, Blake Bortles tearing an ACL or something but if one of those top tier guys goes down (esp. someone whose team will suffer greatly without them, like Wilson and the Seahawks) we're in for some even more rough games ahead.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

iospace posted:

I won't get into a deep analysis like Kalli did but it feels like every week roughly 75% of the games are awful match-ups on paper

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

replacing Rodgers, Palmer and Cutler with their backups won't help things any. (i mean, except in cutler's case where moore is a legitimate upgrade).

also i suspect that we will see at least one more big QB injury before the year is out. Carr, Jameis and Mariota have had to sit games, and Flacco and Big Ben are injury-prone enough that they probably won't play the full 16. If we're lucky it will just be like, Blake Bortles tearing an ACL or something but if one of those top tier guys goes down (esp. someone whose team will suffer greatly without them, like Wilson and the Seahawks) we're in for some even more rough games ahead.

Having an indestructible tank of a QB is good

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Having an indestructible tank of a QB is good

Huh, has Rivers never missed a game since he became the starter? I don't remember it happening at least.

If so where is he on the consecutive games list? Somewhere behind Eli I'm sure but still gotta be up there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, has Rivers never missed a game since he became the starter? I don't remember it happening at least.

If so where is he on the consecutive games list? Somewhere behind Eli I'm sure but still gotta be up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_consecutive_starts_by_a_National_Football_League_quarterback

Eli has 206, Rivers has 183

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No one will ever break Favre's record, but that Brady has two streaks of 110+ games and more than a dozen playoff games each is ridiculous.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jags making moves

quote:

Jaguars signed WLB Telvin Smith to a four-year, $50 million extension through 2021.

This was Smith's contract year. A fifth-round steal in the 2014 draft, Smith is one of the most athletic linebackers in football, capable of covering pass catchers in the slot in addition to tight ends and running backs in the flats. His run-defense game has reached new heights this season, grading out as PFF's No. 1 run-defending outside linebacker among 34 qualifiers. Still only 27, Smith is a worthwhile investment as an ascending player in an elite defense.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah, picks like Telvin might give Caldwell enough lift to keep gliding.

Jarvis Landry to the Jags for a 2nd?

More so, signing good players to extensions and not bleeding all the talent into FA is a good sign for the direction this franchise is going.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He's never missed a start. He'd be ahead of Eli if he'd have started his rookie year, but that two years of sitting behind Brees give Eli a big lead

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TSBX posted:

More so, signing good players to extensions and not bleeding all the talent into FA is a good sign for the direction this franchise is going.

Why give a second for a half-season of Jarvis Landry?
Why trade for John Brown who can't reliably play, for a playoff run?
Why trade anything for Martavis or Brown when they're going to literally just go to the highest bidder after next season?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TSBX posted:

Dolphins trade away like 50% of the offense?

Pass!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Something there's not going to be a lot of in Miami.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I don't think Landry is worth a 2nd relative to our WR capital when Robinson comes back next year and Dede Westbrook gets to come back and show what he can do. Hurns is already locked in via extension, so Lee is going to be the wild card. I've always thought he would be the kind of guy the Pats sign and have murderous success with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Y'all have mentioned the feet but to me the head tilt seems like the way bigger harder to fix issue

• Locked thread