Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Simian_Prime posted:

Wasn’t one of the core book Hero antagonists a teenage girl who ended up in a coma after fighting off her Beast attacker?

This just gets worse and worse in light of everything now...

Remember when one of the beasts was an Indian lady based on a real vigilante group in real India that really provides protection for women and strong arms abusive spouses and poo poo when the court won't act, and the whole point was 'but is she not just as bad as the men who abuse women'.

Extremely Normal Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm not gonna touch the topic of RPG.net moderation, but the idea that people are only now re-evaluating Beast is bizarre. At least here on SA, loving nobody bought into Beast at any point. It's ALWAYS been seen as super gross from day one. People aren't looking at Beast going "oh now that I know this information, this looks bad." People are going "I loving KNEW IT."

Yeah. Like, when I read Beast at first it made my skin crawl. It felt like it was saying that my child-molesting cousin was in the right for what he did, and that I and others deserved it and how dare we be angry or upset about it. Now learning that the person behind Beast could well be the same kind of person as my cousin, it doesn't change how I feel about the book. It just makes me think that what I felt wasn't an accident on the book's part.

Levi Kornelsen
Feb 21, 2013

Warthur posted:

Doxxing and death threats are lovely and pulling that poo poo over a game is petulant and childish beyond belief, and I have no sympathy for anyone who'd do that and every sympathy for anyone who was subjected to it.

That doesn't put a magic protection field on the product itself that shields it from legitimate critique.

Eminently true.

It *does,* however, mean that when you're dumping on the game and how it was made, you're in close position with an existing practice of doxxing and death threats, directed largely at people who were just working a job. Which means that being precise about what you're going after is called for.

Ignoring that and dropping the widest, biggest load of poo poo you can find instead?

That means you're giving cover to aforementioned doxxers and death-threateners, mixed right in there with whatever useful critique is being delivered.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Okay, but the people who introduced the topic of the other authors in the thread is... the other authors and no one here(Serf aside) seems to have said anything about them other than that they could have done better to salvage the shitshow that was Beast.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 25, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Levi Kornelsen posted:

Eminently true.

It *does,* however, mean that when you're dumping on the game and how it was made, you're in close position with an existing practice of doxxing and death threats, directed largely at people who were just working a job. Which means that being precise about what you're going after is called for.

Ignoring that and dropping the widest, biggest load of poo poo you can find instead?

That means you're giving cover to aforementioned doxxers and death-threateners, mixed right in there with whatever useful critique is being delivered.

'by criticizing the game you're just giving the doxxers protection' is a bold talking point I've usually only seen in lovely one indie video games, let's see if it can apply to a major publisher having one specific person criticized for just horrifically abusive and illegal behavior!

Judges say no, no it can't.

Beast is a poo poo game. I'm deeply sorry to the people here who worked on it who seem like perfectly fine people, I believe them when they say 'yeeeea the original version was not...this...', I get that sometimes a freelancer needs to turn in a poo poo sandwich to make rent. If you'll note, though, no one at all has actually poo poo talked those people. We've been super specific in saying that these revelations about one dude (who was a major dude in the creation of the game) take an already very troubling product into an even more gross light. People have been pretty drat precise actually! It's this one rapist who was a major player in making a game about heroic abusers and turning their victims who fight back into villains. That's what we're talking about, that's what we're saying 'holy poo poo' at. No one at all is throwing anyone else on the team under the bus...except the people demanding no one be allowed to say 'this is hosed up' I guess?

Levi Kornelsen
Feb 21, 2013

counterspin posted:

Okay, but the people who introduced the topic of the other authors in the thread is... the other authors and no one here(Serf aside) seems to have said anything about them other than that they could have done better to salvage the shitshow that was Beast.

In the last few pages here, that's true. In prior discussions here and otherwise (including RPGnet, where I too have one of those mod badges), that hasn't been true, and I'm twitching at my prophetic suspicion that this IS going to go around again, and we're going to see a lot of garbage dumped on those folks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
forums pre-crime being something a dude talks about unironically is the worst part of our cyberpunk hellscape

Levi Kornelsen
Feb 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

forums pre-crime being something a dude talks about unironically is the worst part of our cyberpunk hellscape

Nah; failure to capitalize and punctuate is the worst part of our cyberpunk hellscape.

J. H. Frank
Feb 21, 2013

wasn't born with enough middle fingers

Levi Kornelsen posted:

Nah; failure to capitalize and punctuate is the worst part of our cyberpunk hellscape.

i kno rite?

edit: oh poo poo i still have my old avatar on here wheeeee

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Levi Kornelsen posted:

rood

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Levi Kornelsen posted:

Ah, yes, this is surely the moral high ground you want to pursue.

The first thing I bought at GenCon this year was a copy of Demon: The Descent; I literally walked in the doors of the dealer hall, saw the OP booth, and bought a copy of it within minutes. I was super excited to own and read it, I've heard a lot of great about it, yay Demon.

I've thrown it out post-revelations and donated what I spent on it to RAINN as a way to try and balance the karmic scales. I know a lot of other people worked on it and I hope OP can move on from this in whatever way they see fit, but lacking any other leverage I can only exercise my voice as a consumer of product, and this is the best way I know to do that. I think you rpg.net folks should probably exercise your voices by banning Matt, but I can't make that decision for you.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

Add to this RPG.net's inconsistent , heavy-handed, and opaque moderation

Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As An Industry - welcome to the rpg site

J. H. Frank
Feb 21, 2013

wasn't born with enough middle fingers

Ettin posted:

Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As An Industry - welcome to the rpg site

Hey, Ettin—

Levi and I have exact same register date.

Do you remember if there was an RPGnet/SA shitfite around then? Was that Exalted 3?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ettin posted:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

J. H. Frank posted:

Hey, Ettin—

Levi and I have exact same register date.

Do you remember if there was an RPGnet/SA shitfite around then? Was that Exalted 3?

I'm not sure, it was a while ago and Exalted isn't really my thing. Probably though??

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, they went ahead and gave BHM the permanent ban from RPGnet, so I guess that question is settled.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm glad they finally figured out that tough 'should we ban the abuser who has multiple people saying they feel unsafe with him around and we've already agreed was bad enough to take away his position of authority here' riddle.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
On the plus side, now the non-rapist writers can fix Beast without interference.

Hopefully, by a one page diagram of poochie returning to his home planet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly at this point the odds are probably in favor of the Beast line being publicly scrapped.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Levi Kornelsen posted:

you used a semicolon wrong there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

I'm glad they finally figured out that tough 'should we ban the abuser who has multiple people saying they feel unsafe with him around and we've already agreed was bad enough to take away his position of authority here' riddle.
To be fair, that is a tough question - at least, compared to simpler puzzles like “Does someone besmirching the honor of corporate HR departments deserve to banned from our elfgame discussion forum or a month, or permanently?” The answer to that, of course, was a permaban.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly at this point the odds are probably in favor of the Beast line being publicly scrapped.

Good, if it happens. I'm not saying that to dance on anyone's grave but Beast is unquestionably one of the skeeviest things Onyx Path has put their name on and it would be better for them to distance themselves from it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Does the man who raped a child deserve punishment as harsh as the one who presumptively declared that HR departments work for their corporate employers first and foremost? With a heavy heart we have reluctantly concluded that yes, he does.

Please understand how difficult this decision was for us.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Good, if it happens. I'm not saying that to dance on anyone's grave but Beast is unquestionably one of the skeeviest things Onyx Path has put their name on and it would be better for them to distance themselves from it.

Finally, my time to shine. How do I pitch my idea to Onyx Path and how do they feel about Anime?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really disagree.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

FMguru posted:

Does the man who raped a child deserve punishment as harsh as the one who presumptively declared that HR departments work for their corporate employers first and foremost? With a heavy heart we have reluctantly concluded that yes, he does.

Please understand how difficult this decision was for us.

No one got permabanned for the HR thing. The guy who posted it didn't even get kicked from the thread, just a "Hey don't do that" warning.

I mean there's actual things that happened that you could use to score cheap rhetorical points with instead.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 26, 2017

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ettin posted:

Finally, my time to shine. How do I pitch my idea to Onyx Path and how do they feel about Anime?
Just don't have an artist trace Dante and you should be fine.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'm looking forward* to the newfound love and respect for Beast in the usual lovely tradgame places.

* :vomarine:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Traveller posted:

I'm looking forward* to the newfound love and respect for Beast in the usual lovely tradgame places.

I don't think even 4chan wanted to ironically embrace Beast back when it was new.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think even 4chan wanted to ironically embrace Beast back when it was new.

Right. There's too many LGBTQ characters in it on top of the unsutble digs at channers and reddit fedoralords.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

I mean there's actual things that happened that you could use to score cheap rhetorical points with instead.

Like their bizarre definitions of personal attacks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

you used a semicolon wrong there

“Incorrectly”.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
wrongly

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Traveller posted:

I don't think anyone really liked Beast, not even the creators once it was all said and done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't think anyone really liked Beast, not even the creators once it was all said and done.

There were a couple of people who really seemed to identify with the "I am a monster demonized by all for my deviance" angle, but not very many.

Although general grapevining seems to indicate that Beast didn't sell any worse than, say, Mummy, so who knows.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Desiden posted:

On the plus side, now the non-rapist writers can fix Beast without interference.

Hopefully, by a one page diagram of poochie returning to his home planet.

He was banned from rpg.net, he wasn't removed from onyx path.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

There were a couple of people who really seemed to identify with the "I am a monster demonized by all for my deviance" angle, but not very many.

Although general grapevining seems to indicate that Beast didn't sell any worse than, say, Mummy, so who knows.

I have no way to verify this obviously but I kind of doubt the majority of Beast's sales were from people strongly identifying with its tortured "abusers are the real champions" metaphor and were instead people plunking down money because "hot diggity, a nWoD game where I get to play a Hydra or Godzilla" or something without delving any further than that. Like, up til Beast OP hadn't really put out anything that raised any serious red flags, Mummy was a little lackluster I guess, but Demon was by all accounts a critical darling with lots of good buzz and word of mouth so when Matt McFarland comes along and says he wants to make a game about being Monsters facing off against Heroes I imagine that was enough to get people pledging sight unseen.

Maybe Beast is secretly super popular on the WoD forums and it wins all those "vote for your favorite historical mini-settings" polls or something, but in the realm of anecdotes I hear less people talk about Beast at all than I do even Promethean.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Rand Brittain posted:

These people should be on some kind of watchlist.

Levi Kornelsen posted:

In the last few pages here, that's true. In prior discussions here and otherwise (including RPGnet, where I too have one of those mod badges),

We could tell, you bear the distinctive signs of your clan's passive-aggressive concern trolling.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rand Brittain posted:

Even divorced of all other concepts I figure "like Vampire except you're an otherkin who feeds on fear and likes teaming up" is an easier thing to put together a group and have a hook for than "metaplot mummies through the ages, also maybe consider troupe play".

For a while, when I didn't actively follow WoD stuff, I didn't even know Mummy existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Levi Kornelsen posted:

~Group attack against people with broken keyboards, consider yourself warned.~

• Locked thread