Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

Ah yes, the nonsensical fringe argument that it's bad to associate yourself with war criminals

Well it certainly is fringe in America, that's undeniable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

I would never cast my vote for a person who chums around with literal war criminals and mass murders. this is because of my misogyny.

Damning stuff

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don’t get why people harp on the Iraq War vote, necessarily, when the Afghanistan War vote was worse

Really, you think so?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

yeah we should go in and give them railroads, modern medicine, electrification etc. like true benefactors used to in africa back in the day

You dont need to seize an entire nation to provide for it. We enacted the Marshall Plan without (literally, it certainly bought us a lot of influence) taking over Europe.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yo. Yo.

Native Americans existed back then.

Also the early US was humongous dicks to Canada.

True; I admit I'm not up to date 100% with what Washington did to native americans (beside what all the anerican colonists had done, of course). I guess Jackson's crimes tend to make other early presidents' pale in comparison.

Nikalajoga posted:

Ah good, we've got you on record as endorsing regime change.

So long as it involves securing the wellbeing of the regime-less nation. I doubt you will see many disagree on that, it's just....that wasn't what we did.

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

So long as it involves securing the wellbeing of the regime-less nation. I doubt you will see many disagree on that, it's just....that wasn't what we did.

This is awe-inspiringly colonialist.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

We should leave there. In Ladin is dead and the Taliban hate ISIS more then us.

I mean that the 2001 AUMF is the basis for all the drone war adventurism poo poo we see today

The Iraq War vote didn’t authorize us bombing Yemen and Syria and Pakistan and Sudan and wherever else we’re fighting; that was Afghanistan

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean that the 2001 AUMF is the basis for all the drone war adventurism poo poo we see today

The Iraq War vote didn’t authorize us bombing Yemen and Syria and Pakistan and Sudan and wherever else we’re fighting; that was Afghanistan

Well I can agree with this, AUMF should not have been done the way it was.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

Ah, understanding of political mass action as ideally being driven by sentimentalist consumerism. Quite a Red Guard you are.

You're not even trying to hide who you are now, c'mon man, have some fun with it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

You dont need to seize an entire nation to provide for it. We enacted the Marshall Plan without (literally, it certainly bought us a lot of influence) taking over Europe.

ahh okay so we should just launder our operations through a suzerainty and its a-okay

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know who else justified the military occupation of other nations through claims they were providing for them...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the 2001 AUMF was pushed through while the country was in shock, the 2003 iraq war vote was in the face of a massive popular antiwar campaign

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the US has never fought a legitimate war. Its war crimes all the way down to the revolution itself

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

I mean, if you ignore the part where we're talking about a country who the majority of citizens had disapproved and revolted against the existing regime, sure. I guess I could see how you might mistake that for colonial expansion.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calibanibal posted:

the US has never fought a legitimate war. Its war crimes all the way down to the revolution itself

Actually, I think you'll find that "gently caress Nazis and Confederates" is a cool and good position, comrade.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Well I can agree with this, AUMF should not have been done the way it was.

Everyone who voted for it should have known that you go to war with the AUMF you have, not the AUMF you might want or wish to have at a later time

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I dunno. Huey and Che eventually came around on the Homosexual question and both still considered themselves anti-revisionists.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah but the draft is a war crime

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, if you ignore the part where we're talking about a country who the majority of citizens had disapproved and revolted against the existing regime, sure. I guess I could see how you might mistake that for colonial expansion.

Well, hoss,

Nikalajoga posted:

You know who else justified the military occupation of other nations through claims they were providing for them...

Is kind of the point here.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the 2001 AUMF was pushed through while the country was in shock, the 2003 iraq war vote was in the face of a massive popular antiwar campaign

The ol’ Lincoln Chafee “it was my first day” defense?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone ever expressed regret over their vote for the AUMF?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

You . With your Libya poo poo.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Has anyone ever expressed regret over their vote for the AUMF?

Me, even though it was just an AOL chatroom poll

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Calibanibal posted:

Me, even though it was just an AOL chatroom poll

a/s/l/w

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

Well, hoss,

Is kind of the point here.

I'd been thinking we'd engaged in a joint operation with the new Libyan government to aid in securing the country while providing economic aid, rather than a military takeover/occupation. We're a long ways off from the original discussion though, which was 'was our actions in Libya justified" (to which my response was "no, not unless we did our part to repair and protect the country, which we did not"). How about we rerail this tangent?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The ol’ Lincoln Chafee “it was my first day” defense?

you aren't so naive as to expect politicians to do the right thing on their own. the question is which social movements they are accountable to. 2003 anyone voting for the iraq war had to cross the mass anti-war movement in a way they didn't in 2001 (because the mass anti-war movement had yet to coalesce). of course all national us politicians are hopelessly compromised etc but you can draw different lessons from each of those votes

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Everyone who voted for it should have known that you go to war with the AUMF you have, not the AUMF you might want or wish to have at a later time

They should apologise for not looking at it close enough. Everyone after 9/11 wanted to make it look like they were taking down aq. Compared to war with Iraq though which is directly tied to the civil war in Syria. That is the worst.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I made this joke in the d&d chat threads and got heckled over it, so I feel justified in doing the same to you :colbert:

Shame! Shaaaame! Reaction emotes!

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I'd been thinking we'd engaged in a joint operation with the new Libyan government to aid in securing the country while providing economic aid, rather than a military takeover/occupation. We're a long ways off from the original discussion though, which was 'was our actions in Libya justified" (to which my response was "no, not unless we did our part to repair and protect the country, which we did not"). How about we rerail this tangent?

To "aid in securing the country". Uh huh. Mm hmm. Glad to see you can recognize, if dimly, the absurd rhetorical contortions you're engaging in here.

Anyways, how 'bout we go back to whether George Washington had good foreign policy?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

is the w weight? thats so drat rude to ask

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

To "aid in securing the country". Uh huh. Mm hmm. Glad to see you can recognize, if dimly, the absurd rhetorical contortions you're engaging in here.

Anyways, how 'bout we go back to whether George Washington had good foreign policy?

I'm glad you're enjoying getting back into trying to paint me as a fascist 'eff, we both know what I meant.

I already admitted inexperience WRT Washington's native forpol, to a far more tolerable poster.

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying getting back into trying to paint me as a fascist 'eff, we both know what I meant.

I already admitted inexperience WRT Washington's native forpol, to a far more tolerable poster.

You don't have to be a fascist to engage in colonialism, amigo.

Okay then, maybe we can get back to you agreeing with the idea that American support for Benito Juarez was wrong, then?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

WOMEN AREN'T RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRIMES OF EVERY MAN THEY'VE EVER MET

Maybe the next time you fuckheads start the "Samantha Bee is a racist hoor who reminds me too much of my mommy" argument you could actually read the rebuttals. Or read Amber Tamblyn's recent essay. Or read anything, by any woman, loving ever.
In response to HRC being literal close friends with Henry Kissinger lol

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you're not allowed to accuse someone of being an effectronica rereg until they make a death threat or allude to death threats against themselves. This is the rule neurolimal and you will abide by it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

You don't have to be a fascist to engage in colonialism, amigo.

Okay then, maybe we can get back to you agreeing with the idea that American support for Benito Juarez was wrong, then?

Protecting American crossborder border interests is perfectly allowable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

you're not allowed to accuse someone of being an effectronica rereg until they make a death threat or allude to death threats against themselves. This is the rule neurolimal and you will abide by it.

Nikalajoga posted:

So the war against the Ohio Confederacy and American actions with Haiti don't count, and you teeter on the edge of endorsing Herrenvolkisch ideas. Wonderful.

Just look at it!

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Protecting American crossborder border interests is perfectly allowable.

The Herrenvolk are out in full force tonite, I see.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Craig Brittain is running for Senate in Arizona.

That name might ring a bell, there was a big thread about the guy in 2012 over his website IsAnybodyDown.

I'm so disappointed that I can't confidently claim that he doesn't have a chance.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

The Herrenvolk are out in full force tonite, I see.

You got me. Heil Sanders.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nikalajoga posted:

I don't think you can say that the Libyan Civil War would have ended easily and neatly without any lasting damage to the country if only Gaddafi had been allowed to slaughter all dissidents, to be quite honest. Maybe if you don't have a brain, a heart, or any courage.

Neurolimal posted:

Nikalajoga posted:

So what are you arguing here, that giving foreign aid to a country is colonialist, but showing up to bomb them every ten years and then forgetting about them until it's time to bomb them again is benevolent interventionism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Neurolimal posted:

Just look at it!

Awkward and forced erudition is typical but not conclusive. Now cease this!!

• Locked thread