Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Cumin goes great with anything lamb. It's popular among the Muslim communities in China. Definitely try the intestine if you haven't before and it doesn't make you squeamish. They're fried to be crispy on the outside and juicy once you bite into them, it's amazing. The beef thing I suggested is considered a classic Sichuan dish even though I think it's just ok. It's basically slices of beef "blanched" in chili oil.

Crispy fried intestines sounds so much better then the "boil that gross crap" preparation that seems to dominate the americas. I will absolutely try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did you hear about how a chinese entrepreneur can build a 200 story skyscraper in 10 min? Next year he's going to build a space elevator in 5.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Ziv Zulander posted:

Does anybody have a good source for the story about fake Chinese solar farms? I know fojar asked this a few pages ago but I don't think it ever got answered.

I think that a news story about the curtailment of renewable energy sources like this one was misinterpreted into fake solar farms existing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Whooping Crabs posted:

I can't believe she fell for the old "Your son is being haunted by a dead fetus that wants a husband, bring me all of your valuables in a sack so I can spin you around until the curse is lifted; also don't open the sack for 49 days" scam.

poo poo, the crazy thing is you're not even really making a joke.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The scariest ghost stories are always about living humans.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
https://gizmodo.com/the-future-of-online-dating-is-unsexy-and-brutally-effe-1819781116

blah blah its about a dating app thing that reads your poo poo and recommends you, like, a netflix selection of people I guess

but

quote:

“If you look at the recommendations we generated for individuals, you’ll see they all reflect the same type of person—all brunettes, blondes, of a certain age,” Potter says. “There are women in Houston who only want to go out with men with beards or facial hair. We found in China users who like a very, um, demure type of individual.” This he mentions in a tone which seems to imply a stereotype I’m unaware of. “No questionnaire I’m aware of captures that.”

i thought it was funny after reading this thread for so long :shobon:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My ideal woman is discrete and quiet. She knows how to keep secrets and not tell people things. We would have privacy, and no one would ask questions.
Also, short with a flat head so she can hold my beer when her hands are full.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

peanut posted:

I drink whiskey and mixers, so that head must be gigantic to hold everything.
amazing how selective breeding works.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

My ideal woman is discrete and quiet. She knows how to keep secrets and not tell people things. We would have privacy, and no one would ask questions.

NO CONTINUOUS WOMEN
CONTINUOUS WOMEN NOT ALLOWED

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ziv Zulander posted:

Does anybody have a good source for the story about fake Chinese solar farms? I know fojar asked this a few pages ago but I don't think it ever got answered.

It's been buried under a million news stories about the Panda-shaped solar farm and hundreds of Alibaba ads selling fake panels. (which I think is proof enough of its existence, because why else would there even be a market for those things? Chinese face culture doesn't care about looking green to your neighbour, only to foreign powers)

If I recall, it was an article about some second string politician's aide accompanying him and his entourage to China to try and broker a deal for something or other. The Chinese delegation being keen to promote their "green face" took the politician and his entourage to a solar farm. The one aide had a fairly extensive background in tech stuff, and noted that 10 rows in, the panels looked different. Before any of his crew's minders could intervene, he had walked over to the panel and seen that instead of actual solar panels, they were just tinted glass glued to metal brackets. By this time the minders noticed him being 30' away and started to flip out. Given that this had nothing to do with why they were there, and there was nothing to gain from pointing it out. He just pretended that he was super-impressed with their solar farm and let it go. . . until they got back to whatever country they came from, no deal in hand, and he talked to some local news agency about the experience.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/xuhulk/status/922898738842128385

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

According to a study conducted by the Medical College of Korea University, 23.1% of males and 2.6% of females have their first sexual experience with a prostitute.

can anyone shed some light why this might be? is this due to dowry costs or something

i bet it dovetails with korea being the suicide capital of the world

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Relin posted:

According to a study conducted by the Medical College of Korea University, 23.1% of males and 2.6% of females have their first sexual experience with a prostitute.

can anyone shed some light why this might be? is this due to dowry costs or something

They must be lying, prostitution is illegal in Korea.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Maybe they took a holiday to where it is legal

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Prostitution is so illegal in Korea that they don't even have words for it, so there's no way a Korean could even know to ask for a prostitute overseas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Relin posted:

Due to the insane schooling system Koreans are not allowed to have any sort of personal life until college and the guys are even more arrested developmented by the mandatory military service. So you have like 21 year old dudes rolling into freshman year of college with the emotional development of a 13 year old and prostitutes are literally everywhere in Korea so it's easier. That's my guess.

College is the time when you learn to develop something resembling a personality, hopefully, and enjoy your four years of freedom and doing zero work until you go into the salaryman life and spend 100 hours a week pretending to do your job, heading out to the noraebang after work to get a beej since you haven't seen your arranged wife in three years.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Relin posted:

They do nothing but study and live with their parents for much of their life until they join the military and military and prostitutes go together like pigs and poo poo.

Really in general overbearing parents, lack of privacy, general religious and conservative social moors, and nowhere to gently caress will mean people have their first sex late or with professionals.

Similar story in Japan.

Probably similar story in the US too up until more and more people started getting cars in the 50s and 60s and could go find private places to bone.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

What I like about these scam stories is that the poor sickly old grandmas always have hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash just stuffed behind the sofa along with a sack full of jewelry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkest Auer posted:

What I like about these scam stories is that the poor sickly old grandmas always have hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash just stuffed behind the sofa along with a sack full of jewelry.

In a lot of lovely countries there's zero faith in local financial institutions so that's generally the safest retirement plan bet with the highest returns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sometimes it’s gold coins or jewelry.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Baronjutter posted:

In a lot of lovely countries there's zero faith in local financial institutions so that's generally the safest retirement plan bet with the highest returns.

Yes, but it's still hundreds of thousands

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

poo poo, the crazy thing is you're not even really making a joke.

I posted this gif over in the thread from last year, but seriously the most common and effective way to rob people in china is to point in a direction, say HEY WHAT IS THAT OVER THERE??? take their purse/phone off the table when they turn to look, and then go OH OKAY NEVERMIND THANK YOU and walk away

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Relin posted:

can anyone shed some light why this might be?

Grand Fromage posted:

Due to the insane schooling system Koreans are not allowed to have any sort of personal life until college and the guys are even more arrested developmented by the mandatory military service. So you have like 21 year old dudes rolling into freshman year of college with the emotional development of a 13 year old and prostitutes are literally everywhere in Korea so it's easier. That's my guess.

paaaarrtly this

LimburgLimbo posted:

They do nothing but study and live with their parents for much of their life until they join the military and military and prostitutes go together like pigs and poo poo.

mostly this. it's a bonding experience when they do military service for the first time, which can be from korean age 18 (rest of the world except japan 16), so even before college. fun fact - the ones that go to college first the do their military service are treated like absolute poo poo by the younger, higher ranking guys, mostly because it is the bittersweet last time in their lives they can treat an older person like poo poo, instead of just impotently taking it. so they kind of savor the moment bc it has to last them the rest of their lives.
As for the women with prostitutes, I mean, just a guess, but some girl going to a host bar with her friends and hooking up with the host or something. again, just a guess.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Probably similar story in the US too up until more and more people started getting cars in the 50s and 60s and could go find private places to bone.

I really don't think the US ever had shitloads of rent by the hour motels on pretty much every street in every city.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LimburgLimbo posted:

That actually started in the 1920s

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I mean it was a general move throughout the 1900s but the postwar boom really accelerated it from my understanding

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I mean it was a general move throughout the 1900s but the postwar boom really accelerated it from my understanding

Ayup. This is where our modern day consumer culture stems from, with vehicles right in the center. America put everybody to work for the war effort, and the government was worried about an economic crash after it ended. So, they repurposed the factories to start pumping out consumer poo poo, most notably automotives. That, coupled with a campaign to get people to buy new vehicles instead of just fixing their old ones, lead to a secondary used car market. That in turn made cars affordable for teenagers, which led to more teens being able to get jobs to have disposable income, which led to a new market for businesses to capture, which led to even more disposable poo poo being marketed

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Darkest Auer posted:

Yes, but it's still hundreds of thousands

Some places in the world, a year's wages are a thousand dollars, often less. The hoarding that fresh immigrants do is partly why second gen immigrants do very well, and they end up with the baby boomer-esque wanton selfishness that shits on the third generation immigrants. And that's to say nothing about other parts of the world having a 12-hour/6 day work week for living wages, where that kind of work ethic here in the U.S. can finance a car or pay for community college levels of education.

Relin posted:

I think the women's number will never be accurate. Admitting to sex is anathema for a "woman's virtue" and basically makes her a whore, according to a lot of cultures.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Ayup. This is where our modern day consumer culture stems from, with vehicles right in the center. America put everybody to work for the war effort, and the government was worried about an economic crash after it ended. So, they repurposed the factories to start pumping out consumer poo poo, most notably automotives. That, coupled with a campaign to get people to buy new vehicles instead of just fixing their old ones, lead to a secondary used car market. That in turn made cars affordable for teenagers, which led to more teens being able to get jobs to have disposable income, which led to a new market for businesses to capture, which led to even more disposable poo poo being marketed

Also called the "Butterfly Trampstamp Effect"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Seems more likely that that number represents women having their first sexual encounter as a prostitute.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Seems more likely that that number represents women having their first sexual encounter as a prostitute.

drat

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

In many European countries, taking your son out to a bordello for that special first time with a woman was a time-old father-son-thing in the middle and upper classes. Best let a professional take care of these things, right? (And have a quickie yourself in the next room, since you're there anyways.)

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305741000035827

quote:

Anti-Black Racism in Post-Mao China

Expressions of anti-black sentiment by Chinese students have caught the world's attention periodically since the end of the 1970s. Demonstrations against African students in Nanjing and other cities between late 1988 and early 1989 received wide press coverage. Because the African population in China is small and transient, some observers saw these events as a manifestation of a vestigial xenophobia, not as part of a developing trend of thought within a key segment of Chinese society. Placed next to the brutal ethnic conflicts that plague much of the world, the episodic, non-lethal incidents in China seemed evanescent, with only fleeting implications for China's foreign policy.
"Placed next to the brutal ethnic conflicts that plague much of the world," so is this a Whataboutism or a "See, China's not so bad"?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

NO CONTINUOUS WOMEN

I want a woman who is basically an ourobouros.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LentThem posted:

I posted this gif over in the thread from last year, but seriously the most common and effective way to rob people in china is to point in a direction, say HEY WHAT IS THAT OVER THERE??? take their purse/phone off the table when they turn to look, and then go OH OKAY NEVERMIND THANK YOU and walk away

It's a pretty common method everywhere in the world. It's especially common in the summer months when people sit outside at restaurants. Someone will come up to you and put a brochure or magazine or whatever on your table where you've put your phone and pretend to try and sell something, and when you shoo them off they'll politely take their stuff and leave, along with your phone.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

NO CONTINUOUS WOMEN
I prefer a woman who is not only continuous but also differentiable at every point (I’m willing to accept a finite number of particular points of discontinuity as they make things more interesting) so that I may study her curves.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I dont want to post in the dumb Thailand thread. Google isn't helping me. When do they burn the Thai king? Or did I miss that?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

I can't believe she fell for the old "Your son is being haunted by a dead fetus that wants a husband, bring me all of your valuables in a sack so I can spin you around until the curse is lifted; also don't open the sack for 49 days" scam.

https://twitter.com/eliyudin/status/897866437028700165

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Patient dies*

Meh

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

I dont want to post in the dumb Thailand thread. Google isn't helping me. When do they burn the Thai king? Or did I miss that?

Likely missed it, the procession started/was getting underway about midnight eastern time, BBC was covering it, I guess as some angle of a sympathetic monarchy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Pretty sure the cremation hasn't started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mistle posted:

Likely missed it, the procession started/was getting underway about midnight eastern time, BBC was covering it, I guess as some angle of a sympathetic monarchy.

No his death was actually a pretty big deal, nothing to do with "we both got royal families lol brah". Thailand is hosed up politically but he had been a major stabilising factor (for better or worse, depending on your opinion). His deat brought a lot of uncertainties back to the surface re: military junta and heirs etc.

• Locked thread