Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Counterpoint: seeing one person fall off a cliff gets old pretty fast but seeing five guys all go charging over the edge is always hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Put me in the pro blood pool camp.

I beat covetous demon, and I actually used the pots with hollows in them this time! That's a pretty cute gimmick and I wish that the fight was harder so you could justify using them. Covetous demon has two really interesting and unique gimmicks that most people will never see due to how easy the fight is, it could have been a really memorable fight otherwise.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The blood pools were my most-missed feature in 3 followed by the ability to power stance zweihanders.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Blood pools are amazing. An area littered with single bloodstains can look weird (especially if they start overlapping each other or floating in air) but with a couple of blood pools and ghosts dying hilariously it's a fun time.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I've been running a str/faith build with a lightning zweihander but I want to use the BK ultra great sword. Is it terrible to enchant that with lightning or should I just boost fire on it since it already has that?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Enchant it with fire since flame weapon adds % increased elemental damage and fire scales with faith anyways

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish the covenant of champions allowed for co-op. If I could complete npc questlines and occasionally summon people to gently caress around with, while still getting all the difficulty bonuses, I don't think I'd ever choose a different covenant, but giving up the rare opportunity to do multiplayer when I manage to find someone's sign is too high a price.

On a lighter note, I think I've settled on my endgame aesthetics. Was it worth dropping the +10 raw broadsword to start upgrading what is essentially the exact same weapon but with a sweet skull on the hilt and a handguard that looks like horns? Most definitely.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Control Volume posted:

Enchant it with fire since flame weapon adds % increased elemental damage and fire scales with faith anyways

I thought fire scaled with int?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

tweet my meat posted:

On a lighter note, I think I've settled on my endgame aesthetics. Was it worth dropping the +10 raw broadsword to start upgrading what is essentially the exact same weapon but with a sweet skull on the hilt and a handguard that looks like horns? Most definitely

Hell yeah looks above all else. Optimized play isn't as fun as being good enough to mitigate whatever compromises you make in the search for the Perfect Look

what sword is that anyways? man I should play this game again but it's so long...maybe I'll dick around with a PVP char or two

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Missing Link posted:

I thought fire scaled with int?

It does, it scales with the average of the two. Softcaps at INT + FTH = 60.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shear Modulus posted:

The blood pools were my most-missed feature in 3 followed by the ability to power stance zweihanders.
there's not that much I truly miss but a). more recovery time on rolls and b). BONFIRE ASCETICS are the big ones

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

KingSlime posted:

Hell yeah looks above all else. Optimized play isn't as fun as being good enough to mitigate whatever compromises you make in the search for the Perfect Look

what sword is that anyways? man I should play this game again but it's so long...maybe I'll dick around with a PVP char or two

I'm actually shooting for unoptimal on this build to bump up the challenge a bit. The sword is the Varangian Sword, you can farm it from the varangians at wharf. You'll probably get one or two if you ever try to farm a sea bow, which is how I discovered it back in the day. It has the same moveset and reach of the broadsword, with slightly higher damage and slightly worse scaling.

I really do love how many rare, unique weapons and armors they made as uncommon drops from enemies. It gives you some more options and something unique that not many other people use. People used to complain about how hard it was to farm things like the shadow set, visible auros set, monastery scimitar, and mannikin claws, but I loved having a few things like that where it took a real concentrated effort to get rather than just rushing the corpse/chest. It made them feel like real achievements.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
farming doesn't feel like an achievement to me, it just feels like a timesink. fighting the same enemies repeatedly isn't tough, and item discovery gear is annoying.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So when does sotfs start getting hard? I just beat the trio of skeletons boss in the copse and it was one of the few times I've died to a boss. I'm nearly at 35 int/atn and feel pretty comfortable just dodging and blasting everything.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
grinding isn't the greatest but it's not so bad, especially in fun action games like the souls series

I might watch a video or two on the weapons of DS2, I've experimented a bit but never looked up a master list or anything like that

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

skasion posted:

It does, it scales with the average of the two. Softcaps at INT + FTH = 60.

P sure it's 30 in this one. 60 caps are a DaSo3ism.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Even if it is just a timesink, I like having a few timesinks that result in some fun loot for when I get bored. You usually don't need to farm items to get really powerful, or maybe farm one item max for most builds just to get an optimal weapon, so it doesn't affect the basegame hardly at all.

I will say the monastery scimitar was way too much a hassle to grind for how good it was in pvp before the nerf, but other than that I can't think of any hard to farm items that weren't cosmetic or only fit in a specific niche.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dis astranagant posted:

P sure it's 30 in this one. 60 caps are a DaSo3ism.

No, for the purposes of fire attack bonus specifically, it's any combination adding up to 60. Any such combination will do -- 5 int and 55 faith will do exactly as well as 30/30.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Use Mytha's Bent Blade instead of the Bandit's Knife. BK is awful in this game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bogart posted:

Use Mytha's Bent Blade instead of the Bandit's Knife. BK is awful in this game.

Bandit's knife looks better and can do bleed+poison which can be nice in a utility weapon, but mostly it just looks better.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

IronicDongz posted:

there's not that much I truly miss but a). more recovery time on rolls and b). BONFIRE ASCETICS are the big ones

Small soapstone.

tweet my meat posted:

I will say the monastery scimitar was way too much a hassle to grind for how good it was in pvp before the nerf, but other than that I can't think of any hard to farm items that weren't cosmetic or only fit in a specific niche.

Shadow Dagger, pre-SotFS. Grinding enemies that only appear during a boss fight on NG+.
Chaos Rapier, pre-SotFS. Only one enemy drops it, it's a rare drop, and you have to get an Ogre to break the cage.
Drakekeeper & Black Dragon anything.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh yeah i thought the ninjas only dropped the lobster claws and shadow set, I forgot about the strength dagger. They really dropped a lot of stuff huh?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Small soapstone.

Shadow Dagger, pre-SotFS. Grinding enemies that only appear during a boss fight on NG+.
Chaos Rapier, pre-SotFS. Only one enemy drops it, it's a rare drop, and you have to get an Ogre to break the cage.
Drakekeeper & Black Dragon anything.

Manikin Claws. Only one enemy in the game drops it and you have to make a pretty ridiculous jump to even know it exists. I think this was fixed somewhat in SotFS but it's still hardly seen.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

So when does sotfs start getting hard? I just beat the trio of skeletons boss in the copse and it was one of the few times I've died to a boss. I'm nearly at 35 int/atn and feel pretty comfortable just dodging and blasting everything.

imo Dark Souls starts getting hard and much more interesting and fun when you start invading people

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo Drangleic Castle is cool as hell in sotfs. It's like a miniboss rush with basic enemies from tons of the major areas.

meanolmrcloud posted:

If you're dying a few times to Skeleton Lords, then there should be some pretty challenging stuff for you later in the main game, and if none of that does it for you, the dlc stuff should really scratch the difficulty itch.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 26, 2017

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm an utter unapologetic DS3 fanboy and even I think the lack of bonfire ascetics is unacceptable.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I didn’t appreciate ascetics in my first run because I was a scrub who was relieved to be able to beat most bosses once, but now I absolutely wish they were in every Soulsborne game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I restarted my run and decided to go with a sorcerer that's gonna focus on less used spells like soul shower. I'm having a lot more fun now, and I even made a co op buddy who helped me clear forest of fallen giants and added me for later co op.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

kilinrax posted:

I'm an utter unapologetic DS3 fanboy and even I think the lack of bonfire ascetics is unacceptable.

Saying that does not make you a true fanboy of one of the titles of the series. You have to be in self denial and state your opinions as an objective truth.

I really don't miss powerstancing (i rarely use two weapons styles in any rpg), but miss some of the oddball weapons of DS2 (+DLC) land. All those wepons with some ranged magic attack or silly moveset. Or just ridicilous looking stuff like the King's UGS or Smelter Hammer.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 11, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I definitely miss the freedom of 2's weapons the most. The answer to "Is X a viable weapon?" is always yes, there's a fuckton of different weapons to choose from, you can dual wield any weapons rather than just specific ones designed for it (even the smelter hammers if you want!), and you can wield weapons left handed with the full moveset which wasn't a thing in the other games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The return to handedness in 3 was a bummer. You could be a lefty in 2 no problem but in 3 the move sets get messed up. Rip my Murakumo / Tark Stinger bellfuck build.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

New Butt Order posted:

Most of the added difficulty in SotFS is frontloaded, which makes it a fuckin slog for a new player but overall I think it's still the superior version of the game.

All of the souls games always seem to have the difficulty frontloaded, it always gets easier in general later down but yeah I think I agree, sotfs adds even more on top of that.

Fotfg isn't too bad with the changes but after that it's even more confusing and more difficult until you nail your first great soul.

I would never play vanilla ds2 again though. I do have found memories of ruin sentinels as my third boss fight. I think that was my biggest hump in the original game.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

magic makes the game easy. for the best experience try going through with a two-handed weapon like UGS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Magic makes base game easy. DLC zones have heavy magic resistances and are more suited for physical melee builds. Not saying that is impossible but normal enemies have a ton of poise (I have to use stone ring all the time on all three DLCs) and high resists so they will come to your face while you try to shoot them down.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Should I go with enchanted or magic for my weapon on my sorcery build? Also are there any weapons that are particularly good on an int build?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

tweet my meat posted:

Should I go with enchanted or magic for my weapon on my sorcery build? Also are there any weapons that are particularly good on an int build?
Enchanted is usually a poor choice, because magic offers a huge advantage that is unique to DS2's element system: if a weapon has innate elemental damage, and you apply a weapon buff of the same element, it provides additional damage compared to buffing an element-neutral weapon. Incidentally, I really hate DS3's insane "if a weapon is elemental, it cannot be buffed at all" reversal.

Anyway, for this reason alone Magic is usually the way to go. Enchanted is good if you really need a weapon with physical damage that nonetheless scales off your main stat, so maybe try that out for the DLC...I haven't myself (a Raw Dagger is usually enough to get me through the thick of things), but in theory, it should be a good idea.

Weapons that already have native Magic damage are very interesting for a pure Sorceror, as you can then Infuse those with Magic to make the Magic damage stronger, and then buff them to make it stronger still. There's a few that you can choose from in almost every weapon class. Of particular interest might be the Blue Flame, a Shortsword that can be used to cast spells - because if you infuse and buff that, it actually makes the cast spells stronger!

If you wanna be more of a pure mage with just some melee backup (you should always have that though), consider a simple low-requirement fast weapon, like a Rapier. Infuse and buff it, then stab away with insane DPS against everything that dares come close to you. Next level: do the same with an Ice Rapier, it's practically cheating and I consider it The Most Broken Weapon. ymmv ofc.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've gone through DS1 at SL1, and DS3 with multiple builds. The only thing left to me is the DLC from DS2 (for which I've done the Sunken Crown (?) Elana, Sinh, etc.)

Assuming I have a decent level of skill, what's the most direct OP build to get me geared/etc. to complete/experience Ivory/Iron, etc. ? I've tried Dex, Quality and Strength. I've got a Hex build but it petered out. I'd rather not use twinblades but other than that I'm up for anything.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rapiers are always a safe bet for general OP, I can also recommend Spears. I had great success with a Dark Silverblack Spear (yes, even in the DLCs) recently. Giant Clubs also work rather well, that's what I used the first time. You can also be super boring and powerstance Maces, I guess. To get through the enemies in general, I recommend investing in one of these:

Especially in Ivory, many enemies are comically weak to getting backstabbed.

EDIT: Maybe I misread a bit, if you want to get to the DLC, the above is still true, just replace "Rapiers" as in "Rapier-class weapons" with "the actual Rapier". And Resins of the appropriate type. If you want to rush Ivory, look up some speedruns: they get enough easy early Bonfire Ascetics to run the Rotten a few times, to get the 1mio Souls to open to door to the Shrine of Winter, then you just have to dip into Drangleic Castle real quick for the key and you're good to go. Scratch the last part if you're on Vanilla.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 12, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I used a halberd/spear on my first playthrough so I guess rapiers are the way to go - two handed or with a shield? I guess dex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Never use a shield in DS2, unless it's a Buckler. Two-handing on a Dex build won't do much, but it can't hurt. For Rapiers, Dex for sure. If you want to be a little more than just a stabman, you can invest in some Int and cast Magic Weapon of the highest attunable flavor, as well as get access to some fun utility spells like Cast Light, Fall Control, Repair etc.
Same holds true for Pyromancy with different utility but probably better damage with less investment, but you have to Ascetic Lost Sinner to get Flame Weapon. Not too hard, though, if you know what you're doing (and you claim to be skilled enough). Faith is not great because the weapon buff comes so late. Hexes are great (again, also as weapon buff vehicle with added utility), but if you didn't have much fun your first time with it, then don't bother. Also requires simply more levels.

My above recommendation of the Ice Rapier as The Most Busted Weapon is still true, if you want to upgrade from Rapier to holy-poo poo-Rapier, it's available as soon as you set foot into the Ivory King DLC. Drops from the normal-rear end mooks quite rarely, but there's a lot of them!