Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

How do you preemptively DMCA something? Just harassing your server? Nevermind that you shouldn't be able to DMCA a Morrowind mod because the EULA both you and darknut agreed to opening the creation kit said Bethesda owns everything either of you made using it.

asking where it was hosted and if I put it on the nexus he'll request it be taken down

naturally my first instinct is to tell him to pound sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i should finish my sse rework that cuts 80% of the intro dungeon, is what i'm hearing

also darknut is preemptively dmcaing my unreleased GDR patch for normal folks, which is neat.

What does that patch do?

And what's this talk about a Skyrim special edition rework?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

What does that patch do?

And what's this talk about a Skyrim special edition rework?

Sotha Sil Expanded

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

What does that patch do?

remove the super boring repetitive parts of GDR (not very many)
removes the instant death "traps" where if you click the wrong thing you get zapped or die because that's darknuts idea of fun - having to quicksave constantly

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Average Bear posted:

Nvm just got to the city. This is definitely the part trainwiz worked on, wow.

is it safe just to coc myself into the city and skip the bullshit?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Average Bear posted:

Wow, Sotha Sil Expanded is a fantastically detailed mod that should never be played by anyone.

You could tell that an awful lot of love went in to Sotha Sil expanded. Unfortunately I think it tries to do a lot of things that the Morrowind engine just flat out wasn’t designed for, and for me anyway I felt it focused waaaaay to much on puzzles to be fun.

I’m a reasonably patient person but a lot of the time it was impossible to tell what I was supposed to be doing, and impossible to verify whether what I had done was actually right or not.

Once I got to the city I just peaced out.

A mod that actually cut it down to a more reasonable size would be great imo.

asking where it was hosted and if I put it on the nexus he'll request it be taken down

naturally my first instinct is to tell him to pound sand

That’s such bullshit - unless you’re actually redistributing the mod itself.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Entropy238 posted:

You could tell that an awful lot of love went in to Sotha Sil expanded. Unfortunately I think it tries to do a lot of things that the Morrowind engine just flat out wasn’t designed for, and for me anyway I felt it focused waaaaay to much on puzzles to be fun.

I’m a reasonably patient person but a lot of the time it was impossible to tell what I was supposed to be doing, and impossible to verify whether what I had done was actually right or not.

Once I got to the city I just peaced out.

A mod that actually cut it down to a more reasonable size would be great imo.

That’s such bullshit - unless you’re actually redistributing the mod itself.

Yeah, sse is in love with switch puzzles and huge labyrinths to spread the switches out in. Even using no clip liberally I gave up a quarter of the way through.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm gonna start listing some Sotha Sil Expanded tips because they're not documented anywhere.

- The daedreon-aethernon cubes go in containers. There's one in each district and they look like barrels with lightning rods coming out of them. Usually somewhere you have to jump to. Not a problem, considering you're at the part of the game where leaping from town to town should be how you get around.

- You can and should tcl through the sewer levels and everything before the city. You're not missing anything functional.

- When doing the cure the tree quest, you need to go to the malfunctioning fabricant house and kill them, go to the plant development lab or whatever (with the slaughterfish in it) and use the panels there, and finally go to the room that sits just above the oil moat and activate the panels there.

- When you have the option to convince someone, their disposition has to be at 100.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i should finish my sse rework that cuts 80% of the intro dungeon, is what i'm hearing

also darknut is preemptively dmcaing my unreleased GDR patch for normal folks, which is neat.

elder scrolls modding drama is so good and i love it

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So errrr... Jiub's invisible

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Whorelord posted:

So errrr... Jiub's invisible
I'm sure they let him go.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm sure they let him go.

:vince:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Quiet. Here comes the guard.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You better do what they say.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
This where you get off. Come with me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
AHHHHHHHHHH YES WE'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

AHHHHHHHHHH YES WE'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU

You forgot :catstare:

You've finally arrived...

But our records don't show from where.

Which is kinda weird and racist. Like, just because you're from Black Marsh you have to be an Argonian? And if that was the case, wouldn't he be able to tell where you're from the moment you stepped through that hatch?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Which is kinda weird and racist. Like, just because you're from Black Marsh you have to be an Argonian? And if that was the case, wouldn't he be able to tell where you're from the moment you stepped through that hatch?

I didn't forget, I just skipped to the best part of the game

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fair enough, I'm just grumpy because I always think 5+ new posts in the Morrowind thread means OpenMW has hit 1.0.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

You'll have to be recorded before you're officially released. There are a few ways we can do this and the choice. Is. Yours.

(it's a shame you can't put a poll in a non-OP post)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Probably a holdover from Daggerfall (and Arena I think?) where you selected your character's province of origin rather than directly select their race. I imagine that was how it was going to work in Morrowind too but it got changed at some point in development. (As an aside, I appreciated that Morrowind added the Imperials as a race. It always bugged me that I couldn't select the Imperial Province during Daggerfall's character creation.)

Still a weird question when your character is explicitly stated to come from the Imperial City.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mountaineer posted:

Probably a holdover from Daggerfall (and Arena I think?) where you selected your character's province of origin rather than directly select their race. I imagine that was how it was going to work in Morrowind too but it got changed at some point in development. (As an aside, I appreciated that Morrowind added the Imperials as a race. It always bugged me that I couldn't select the Imperial Province during Daggerfall's character creation.)

Still a weird question when your character is explicitly stated to come from the Imperial City.

Weren't Imperials just Nords or Bretons living in the Imperial Province in Daggerfall? Like there wasn't an Imperial race.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Out of all of the races in Morrowind I feel like Imperials are the most "lazy", in that they're basically a copy-paste of dramatic depictions of Romans from other forms of media. Notwithstanding the fact that there's some pretty cool lore there I find them to generally be quite boring with a few exceptions (Uncle Crassius was clearly inspired by someone who'd watched Monty Python, Caius is a Skooma addict).

I find Nords and Bretons pretty dull too, but Redguards are kinda cool.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skooma addict is just Caius' cover. Somebody has to be the point of contact in Balmora, and it may as well be someone people will overlook.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

wiegieman posted:

Skooma addict is just Caius' cover. Somebody has to be the point of contact in Balmora, and it may as well be someone people will overlook.

Suuure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, in Arena and Daggerfall your character creation starts by clicking on a map to choose your province and therefore your race. Pretty much the same graphic in both. (Screenshot resolution is pretty random as it depends on the sites I found them. Sorry.) Clicking on "imperial province" did nothing.

Arena is the only game of the series before Oblivion where you actually visit the Imperial Province. There's only one city in here (the Imperial City) and the NPCs just look the same as the Nords and Bretons.

Battlespire replaced that with a list of photos in a grid, with the three human races on the first row and the three elf races on the second. No beast-race. Imperials weren't a race yet back then.

Redguard doesn't have a character generation phase, obviously, since you play as Cyrus.

Morrowind added back the beast races (after they changed their plan on not making them playable because all of them would be slaves), added the Imperials as a human race, and added the Orcs. The province map would have been weird because Orsinium is a really tiny sliver of High Rock. If they had used the map interface of the first two games, choosing to play an orc would have been a pixel-hunting proposition.

However I think that "where do you hail from" sounds better for IMMERSION than "what race are you actually, I mean you're standing right in front of me so I should be able to tell really".

If you drop a bunch of skooma and moon sugar in his house at the beginning of the game, and then visit again several month later, you'll see he hasn't consumed any of what you gave him. Pretty solid evidence he's faking it IMO.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He admits to the addiction in the game, and some of the South Wall patrons mention it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Morrowind rules

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

He admits to the addiction in the game, and some of the South Wall patrons mention it.

Mention that he's holding it surprisingly well and that people who thought they could push that junkie around have kind of... disappeared, yes.

When Caius talks about it, it sounds like he's joking or deflecting (avoiding saying the real reason why he leaves for Cyrodiil for example), not like he's talking about a real problem.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

im a caius cosades truther. he never takes skooma and on the weekends he covers the windows and wears a shirt.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSPsvO19dU

russian morrowind fans own so hard

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Cauis is a deep cover agent. He's totally hooked on the sugar.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Caius is another great example of Morrowind's ambiguous story. Is he being recalled to the Imperial City because he's a top agent and needed to sort out the trouble there? Or is it because he's about to go native as a bum in the rear end end of The Empire? Does he send you off to explore and learn the ways of the land in order to nudge you into the prophecy or because you're getting in the way of him hitting dat skooma pipe?

Bretons are the most meh race, I can't really remember any of their defining features. They're kinda french and apt at magic?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Caius is another great example of Morrowind's ambiguous story. Is he being recalled to the Imperial City because he's a top agent and needed to sort out the trouble there? Or is it because he's about to go native as a bum in the rear end end of The Empire? Does he send you off to explore and learn the ways of the land in order to nudge you into the prophecy or because you're getting in the way of him hitting dat skooma pipe?

Bretons are the most meh race, I can't really remember any of their defining features. They're kinda french and apt at magic?

I hear they're pretty good at being stealth archers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Breton nobles are notoriously devious political schemers. The common Breton is just kind of a generic European, though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I know theyre meant to have some partial elven abscestry or something. Beyond that theyre pretty dull. Dunmer khajiit redguards and argonians have the most interesting backgroubds

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think Lorkhan made a pretty huge mistake tbh, men are trash.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

I think Lorkhan made a pretty huge mistake tbh, men are trash.

______________________________/

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zeniel posted:

Cauis is a deep cover agent. He's totally hooked on the sugar.
Once a guy stood all day shaking kwama foragers from his hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Like half of the races are boring because they fired all their good writers after Morrowind and they never got fleshed out.