Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Raxivace posted:

If Heero wasn't American than why is the Wing Gundam red, white, and blue? Hmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Real question. I'm starting Turn-A 15, and I still can't shake the feeling like I've spent about 5 hours watching what could be summed up in like the first third of a compilation movie. How far away is the payoff for all this set-up?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe he's... shudder French.

He probably picked a country based on the theme song. Gotta admit, something that goes

"We shall enter the (military) career
When our elders are no longer there,
There we shall find their dust
And the trace of their virtues
Much less keen to survive them
Than to share their coffins,
We shall have the sublime pride
Of avenging or following them!"

sounds acceptable for a rampage soundtrack.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uh excuse me person but that is clearly blue, white and red, which is very different combination of colors than red, white, and blue. :colbert:

PMush Perfect posted:

Real question. I'm starting Turn-A 15, and I still can't shake the feeling like I've spent about 5 hours watching what could be summed up in like the first third of a compilation movie. How far away is the payoff for all this set-up?
It's a super slow burn of a show. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious this doesn't really change until like, the last quarter of it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 26, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Turn A is like the super chillest of Gundam shows. If you're not in it for the helping villagers with a giant robot, there's probably not much in it for you. :v:

Case in point, the Master Grade model comes with the cow. :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Turn-A starts as a slow burn but it's masterfully-paced. The payoff is in comparing the pace of events once things really kick off later on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alright, I'll hang in there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh, that's an interesting contrast to how I felt about early Turn A. I was so interested and invested in how richly the show was delving into preventing war that when it finally broke out I was deeply disappointed.

Like, I ultimately dropped it around ep 20 because it was kind of... not what I wanted from it? Go back to being political!

(Yes I'm going to give it another go, same with all the other Gundam shows I've left unfinished over the years. Working on Zeta now!)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RillAkBea posted:

Case in point, the Master Grade model comes with the cow. :3:

Lmao, sold.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, that's an interesting contrast to how I felt about early Turn A. I was so interested and invested in how richly the show was delving into preventing war that when it finally broke out I was deeply disappointed.

Like, I ultimately dropped it around ep 20 because it was kind of... not what I wanted from it? Go back to being political!

(Yes I'm going to give it another go, same with all the other Gundam shows I've left unfinished over the years. Working on Zeta now!)

Until pretty near the end, Turn A's war keeps being off and on. Loran, Diana, and Kihel keep trying to keep it down, and everyone else who isn't Harry Ord keeps kicking it back up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just watched episode 45 of IBO and my gf and I were screaming at the tv during the last thirty seconds.

E: got the episode wrong.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

Just watched episode 45 of IBO and my gf and I were screaming at the tv during the last thirty seconds.

E: got the episode wrong.

Anyone who has seen IBO probably knew exactly what you meant just by mentioning the last thirty seconds :allears:.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Same except every single moment Iok and ~~~Rustal-sama~~~ are on screen.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The pacing in Turn A is kind of weird. The show kinda goes between little spurts where it's super interesting and engaging, then boring, than back again. I'd say it's worth it for the good parts. And it's better to have a show that's interesting half the time and boring the other half, then have a show that's boring all the time. Like I watched half of Victory Gundam and just got bored and lost interest. It wasn't insultingly bad or anything, it just wasn't grabbing me.

The first couple episodes of Turn A are pretty dull, then maybe around 10 or so they're getting into the political stuff and it's getting real good. It's almost like Star Trek where they're doing all this diplomacy poo poo and trying to prevent a war and that's my jam. Then there's a part in the middle of the show where they have a ship and they're going to go into space, but it takes them like 10 episodes to get there, and instead they're messing around with like, Aztec people or some poo poo. I was like "Jesus Christ, you have the ship and it's flying, just go into space already for gently caress's sake."

But then they actually do go into space and it's cool and good. And some dope decides to try and go back to earth in a barrel. And the moon looks cool. And there's whales on the moon and that's rad. And there's cool designs to mobile suits and stuff because Syd Mead owns.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Marvel's getting a bit insane with the rebranding for all their known heroes.

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/923394351056728064

Also you just know someone's getting thrown off that plane in the back and shot in the head but you can't see it because of CAPTAIN AMERICA.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What is that background? I assume it's not a Gundam thing, because it looks like a forest train track or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Finished IBO. Great show. What a fuckin ride.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I saw Gundam Moon scans on FB earlier, but have since lost them and can't find new ones. Kind of poor quality photos anyway, but the designs look good:

Amuro pilots a Rick Dijeh, which looks like a hybrid of a Rick Dias and a Gelgoog.
A purple suit with something of the Sazabi about it is seen, with a touch of GM I think? I think they are going for mixes of Feddie and Zeon designs here?
Moon Gundam itself is a somewhat standard Gundam design embellished with glowing (psychoframe) markings and a big glowing disk on it's back.

Don't really know what's going on with the plot so just describing the designs for now. Hope we get kits!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Rick Dijeh was Amuro's zeta suit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

The Rick Dijeh was Amuro's zeta suit.

The Dijeh was. The Rick Dijeh is new.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

IBO is all about the first ten episodes and the last ten episodes.

The middle is all YMMV.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

IBO is also all about polygamy. I dunno what's the deal with the space mormons. It's really weird.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ranzear posted:

The middle is all YMMV.

I did appreciate the plot lines in the middle where Merribit, Biscuit, etc were all "HEY THIS IS GETTING hosed UP AND WEIRD" but were ignored, thats kinda interesting, but yeah "Can Tekkadan pull off the crazy plan?? The answer may surprise you" gets old

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

IBO is also all about polygamy. I dunno what's the deal with the space mormons. It's really weird.

The idea behind Naze Turbine is that he's an emphasis on how non-standard families can exist and thrive and may even be necessary in a cruel world. Tekkadan is also a non-standard family and pretty much every 'successful' (for lack of a better term) grouping of people involves being outside the norm. It's trying to emphasize that Tekkadan may not be normal but they are still a family as truely as any other family. They just sort of wander into the uncomfortable area of Naze Turbine being a weird-rear end character who is a space mafia don with a harem of abused women who feel indebted to him but they don't want to paint him as anything remotely questionable or objectionable.

Marx Headroom posted:

I did appreciate the plot lines in the middle where Merribit, Biscuit, etc were all "HEY THIS IS GETTING hosed UP AND WEIRD" but were ignored, thats kinda interesting, but yeah "Can Tekkadan pull off the crazy plan?? The answer may surprise you" gets old

To be fair that last question has the very best payoff when it actually does fail.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They just sort of wander into the uncomfortable area of Naze Turbine being a weird-rear end character who is a space mafia don with a harem of abused women who feel indebted to him but they don't want to paint him as anything remotely questionable or objectionable.

Uh, yeah, about that. "Hey abused women, I'll give you a safe home provided you promise to gently caress me and make some babies." He also definitely prefers one lady over all the rest, so that must feel great for all the rest of them. It's pretty weird and uncomfortable. But maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm just not open-minded enough. :shrug:

edit: also just in advance for the love of God I don't want to debate poly relationships in the gundam thread, I just thought the whole naze thing was weird and uncomfortable, end of story, thats it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uh, yeah, about that. "Hey abused women, I'll give you a safe home provided you promise to gently caress me and make some babies." He also definitely prefers one lady over all the rest, so that must feel great for all the rest of them. It's pretty weird and uncomfortable. But maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm just not open-minded enough. :shrug:

There is some hand-waving that Naze Turbine doesn't actually pressure them into sex, merely is willing to have sex with them if they want or something like that. Like I said, it's them basically trying to have their harem cake and eat it too.

It is admittedly a problem with most of IBO's cast in that they want to have them be objectionable but not TOO objectionable, which may involve them walking things back hard after people flipped out about Mika killing those prisoners or something. It just stands out most with Naze Turbine because the show is in love with him.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

In case you missed it, first ten and last ten was as much about character moments and spectacle as to exclude Naze. :D

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Marx Headroom posted:

There was one particular moment in the last 5 or so episodes where this question comes up, and the only verbal reaction I could make is "I genuinely feel bad for everyone involved in this."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ranzear posted:

The middle is all YMMV.

I never watched the second season at all, but I'd say season one is more about the first 5 or 6 episodes and the 3 or 4 leading up to the finale, but excluding the actual final episode. 10 on either side is being generous in my opinion.

ImpAtom posted:

There is some hand-waving that Naze Turbine doesn't actually pressure them into sex, merely is willing to have sex with them if they want or something like that. Like I said, it's them basically trying to have their harem cake and eat it too.

I recall at one point there was a magazine article or interview released after the first season was over that indicated Naze and the Turbines were originally supposed to be just one more faction that used and then betrayed Tekkadan for their own benefit, which makes much more sense really. Because they are cast as "bad" in that version of events, the writers are more free to explore how things about them can be or work out bad too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

tsob posted:

I never watched the second season at all, but I'd say season one is more about the first 5 or 6 episodes and the 3 or 4 leading up to the finale, but excluding the actual final episode. 10 on either side is being generous in my opinion.

Naze first shows up in ep7. Ep9 or 10 is the death-flagging-brother arc. Maybe 11. From there it's just a drag of no really good fights until they're on earth, mostly because the Turbines are tagging along making everything weird and chatty and have more apparent plot armor than the main characters.

My math is way off. The Mobile Armor starts at ep35, not ep45. I wouldn't want to leave that out but there's some draggy bits after it. Ep40 is when the Turbines gently caress off again though, yes.

I've only been through it all once though. I could be unreliable on more ordering of events.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 26, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is admittedly a problem with most of IBO's cast in that they want to have them be objectionable but not TOO objectionable, which may involve them walking things back hard after people flipped out about Mika killing those prisoners or something. It just stands out most with Naze Turbine because the show is in love with him.

Yeah I mean, the whole Naze thing is far from the only thing in the show that makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe that was intentional and it probably is. If that's the case, they definitely succeed.

Like... Mika? Mika is like... a goddamn monster. I remember Japanese parents were mad when he executed those prisoners in cold blood, and I can't blame 'em. He's a cold blooded murderer. I can empathize with characters like Biscuit and Orga. I can't empathize with Mika because the kid has no empathy.

The other weird thing about Mika is he's like, an obidient killer robot with barely any thoughts of his own. I'm only through season 1, but some of the only times he actually took any initiative for anything was when he kissed Bernstein out of the blue and yelled at Orga while he was having a pity party.

Also the Atra thing is weird, too. What is she, like 10 years old?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I could empathize with Mika, at least initially, because he's the product of some absolutely horrific circumstances and has to equally horrific to survive (or thrive) in them. Him killing prisoners in cold blood makes perfect sense because he has no reason to leave them alive or to hesitate over their death given the portrayal of how they treat him and his friends normally. It becomes harder over the course of the season to sympathize with him though, because he doesn't show much depth to his personality and his relationship with Orga is never explained or even adequately explored. There's some exploration, but not nearly enough and I think it'd be easier to sympathize with why he takes Orgas word so literally and completely if we had some sense of their shared history. As is though, there's just one occasionally repeated flashback to Mika killing a guy in an alleyway while Orga is there too or something and an oft repeated phrase ("the place we belong"), which doesn't really illuminate much even if you can extrapolate meaning to them on their own.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think atra and mika are supposed to be the same age or close to it. they're just short

and yea nobody like naze

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ranzear posted:

The middle is all YMMV.

The mobile armor fight in the second season was cool as hell though.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Monaghan posted:

The mobile armor fight in the second season was cool as hell though.

For me, IBO wins among gundam for both being entertaining and getting its message across.
I remember my reaction to that episode was "this is badass and awesome to behold. I never want to see this happening again. It's disturbing."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also the Atra thing is weird, too. What is she, like 10 years old?

She's a teenager like Mika, but malnutrition fucks with your growth.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think atra and mika are supposed to be the same age or close to it. they're just short

yeah they're like 15-17 i think but they're small cause they weren't living well for a while

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't know why, but IBO reminds me of Turn A for some reason. Weird, right? Because they're like opposite shows. It's like bizarro Turn A.

Maybe it's because the designs are different and there's a mix of super-futuristic technology and more old-fashioned things. Or maybe it's because the "main character" of the show is just kind of there, and the story really isn't about them. Turn A is really about Diana and Kihel, while IBO is really Orta's story. Like, I have nothing against Loran and he's actually quite likable, but the show just isn't about him and he doesn't have a lot of personality aside from being a warmhearted, good kid who is also kind of effeminate.

It also might sound like it, but I don't really hate Mika as a character. He isn't annoying or anything. He's just kind of... shocking and unsettling. Which is the whole idea, I think.

IBO is really kind of dark even for Gundam, a series known for being really dark. Tomino is known as "kill 'em all" Tomino for a reason, but while shows like Zeta and Victory have huge bodycounts, it's rarely very graphic or disturbing. It's more Star Wars-esque space opera melodrama.

Blaze Dragon posted:

She's a teenager like Mika, but malnutrition fucks with your growth.

Man, maybe this show is a little too real lol

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 26, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

^^^^^ That's good thoughts ^^^^^

PMush Perfect posted:

Very, but I believe its worth it. Turn A is just a very very different kind of show from most of the Gundam universe. The pilot protagonist isn't an instant genius (in fact he's just sort of a well intentioned schmuck) and you have to grow with him through the entire series. I think the pay off at the end is mostly worth it, but its a very very slow burn of a show that sorta rapidly picks up in the last 1/4 of the run for some more traditional Gundam things. The most interesting things about it are rarely the Gundam mobile suit bits.

I would say it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite series as a whole, but there are definite stretches of it that are kinda blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

yeah they're like 15-17 i think but they're small cause they weren't living well for a while

hosed up that orga ate all their food