Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone know how to enable this via GPO or registry setting for all users, including new users?

Edit: Apparently the new 1709 ADMX files have a setting for this now.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Its under the Configure Automatic Updates policy, checkbox at the bottom.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Grim Up North posted:

Is it still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 license by booting from an USB stick and clean installing, or do you have to through the assistive technologies update app?

About a month ago I wiped my C drive and installed 1703 fresh with a never-before-used-for-10 Win7 key and it still activated perfectly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Uhm so how legit those ebay key sellers are? Sellers with 99,8% ratings which have been selling stuff for 10+ years sell win10 enterprise keys for 12,50€.

I'd really like to use win10 enterprise because of the added controls regarding telemetry, windows store and all that other extra crap win10 has. Is it a good/bad/awful idea to buy one of those?

You can download the enterprise iso from Microsoft.com and make a usb stick with Microsoft's tool, so installing it should be no problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ihmemies posted:

Uhm so how legit those ebay key sellers are? Sellers with 99,8% ratings which have been selling stuff for 10+ years sell win10 enterprise keys for 12,50€.

They're selling salvaged licenses from recycled computers. Microsoft complained but EU courts ruled it legal, so buy to your heart's content.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

isndl posted:

They're selling salvaged licenses from recycled computers. Microsoft complained but EU courts ruled it legal, so buy to your heart's content.

Thank you. Microsoft makes getting Enterprise licences for private persons really hard. I'd rather pay 300€ for a OS like I did back in the day with Vista, than get a "free" os which collects too much info for my liking. Also just disabling Store (and all store apps, auto-installing store apps etc.) with 1 toggle in group policy editor is so much more straightforward. They really should allow that in Pro version too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Thank you. Microsoft makes getting Enterprise licences for private persons really hard. I'd rather pay 300€ for a OS like I did back in the day with Vista, than get a "free" os which collects too much info for my liking. Also just disabling Store (and all store apps, auto-installing store apps etc.) with 1 toggle in group policy editor is so much more straightforward. They really should allow that in Pro version too.

You can always get Windows 10 Enterprise E3 and pay $84 per month, so you're not stuck with the minimum of five licenses for a legitimate volume license. I think that's just through CSPs at the moment, though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Is it still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 license by booting from an USB stick and clean installing, or do you have to through the assistive technologies update app?

The Windows 10 installer will accept any Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product key as valid. I've never had it not accept one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure MS already transitioned to us being the product so they'll just accept anything, really might as well make it free as in beer at this point.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'll try and find out how this works. Got the key from ebay.de, and usb install media ready, also got a legitimate win10pro key straight from Microsoft as a backup. If it doesn't work out I'll just install the pro version and try to deal with it. Just need my new mobo, ram and ssd first...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The update reset sound levels on my desktop to max.

:rip: ears

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lately, my laptop (running win10 obv) has been taking an eternity to wake up from sleep. Seems like about as much time as it would take to boot up and launch the programs I want to use. I haven't messed with any settings or installed anything lately IIRC so I'm pretty mystified. Is such a thing a common issue? I suspect not, but worth a try anyway. This computer is getting pretty old (it's from 2012) and it's a been a long while since I reinstalled so I really should try that but I'm also really not feeling up to that right now so I may just have to live with this for a while until I gather up the courage.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

This is the short story of why my current Win10 install is probably my 1st legit windows install since an old Win98 family computer.

Bunch of machines at work had Win7 stickers but we put our own image & enterprise key on 'em. Seemed like a shame for those keys to go to waste so I ran around the office taking pics of the un-used license stickers.

I've got at least 3 of my own machines that have salvage licenses.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The fall update installed itself yesterday and prompted me to reboot. Proceeded to a blue recovery screen and refused to boot with a generic error message. Eventually resolved it by rolling back and reinstalling the update. No hardware issues and no real reason why it should've worked the second time instead of the first. So happy they fired their QA team and gave me the job instead.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

The fall update installed itself yesterday and prompted me to reboot. Proceeded to a blue recovery screen and refused to boot with a generic error message. Eventually resolved it by rolling back and reinstalling the update. No hardware issues and no real reason why it should've worked the second time instead of the first. So happy they fired their QA team and gave me the job instead.

Are you running Pro? Sounds like you might want this option:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ProjektorBoy posted:

This is the short story of why my current Win10 install is probably my 1st legit windows install since an old Win98 family computer.

Bunch of machines at work had Win7 stickers but we put our own image & enterprise key on 'em. Seemed like a shame for those keys to go to waste so I ran around the office taking pics of the un-used license stickers.

Legally speaking, my Windows 10 install is an upgrade of Windows 7, which is an upgrade of Vista, which is an upgrade of XP, which is an upgrade of Windows 95, which came with a computer my parents bought and the only full version of Windows I've ever owned.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is there a risk associated with using an application like O&O ShutUp10? Why not use ShutUp10 and Group Policy modifications?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Is there a risk associated with using an application like O&O ShutUp10? Why not use ShutUp10 and Group Policy modifications?

What problem are you actually having that you think you need ShutUp10 for?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ProjektorBoy posted:

IIRC the Enterprise license is an upgrade from the Pro license the hardware would have come with not valid on its own. So that's technically not legit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can use Enterprise with no previous license on a computer.. not sure why you think that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I love the fact ShutUp 10 is developed by a Microsoft Gold Partner in Application Development. It really took them giving no fucks to write and release it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

redeyes posted:

You can use Enterprise with no previous license on a computer.. not sure why you think that.

Page 8 http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/1/2D14FE17-66C2-4D4C-AF73-E122930B60F6/Windows-10-Volume-Licensing-Guide.pdf

Pretty sure the same thing applies to the CSP channel

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The CSP version won't even 'become' Enterprise until you have a valid Windows 10 Pro 1607+ organised.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sininu posted:

Why am I not getting any dump files for BSOD's?
I found that I have to turn them on sometime ago but I still don't get anything.
http://mywindowshub.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-create-dump-files-on-bsod/

That happened to me when my OS SSD started going south and would just randomly vanish from Windows. Nothing to write to, so no dumps.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That happened to me when my OS SSD started going south and would just randomly vanish from Windows. Nothing to write to, so no dumps.

Over two years of having this laptop I've never gotten any dumps for about 5 different BSOD's I've had. So I don't believe it has anything to do with my SSD's. Especially since everything else works perfectly.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

What problem are you actually having that you think you need ShutUp10 for?

No problem, really. I just thought using that application in conjunction with modifying Group Policy on a workstation would be a better option for controlling Windows 10. I'm just of the opinion that using random PowerShell scripts from the Internet to tear out apps, modify files/features, etc. may be more problematic than the aforementioned two other options. My thought is why tear it out/tear it apart when you can just turn it off?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Man I swear that changed from previous years. Regardless, thanks. Microsoft is off their loving rocker with this bs licensing poo poo. That even says Pro has to have a Pro license to upgrade to Pro.. uh huh.

quote:

Each PC that runs the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise upgrade must first
be licensed to run one of the qualifying operating systems identified below—otherwise the PC will not have a valid, legal Windows
license. If you don’t have a preexisting license for a genuine, qualifying operating system on your PC, see the Get Genuine Options
section in this guide.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 27, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does that mean I first need to have a win 10 pro installed? Then I can upgrade to enterprise with a different key? Or how do you spell out that crap in plain English...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Does that mean I first need to have a win 10 pro installed? Then I can upgrade to enterprise with a different key? Or how do you spell out that crap in plain English...

Yeah basically. The different key will upgrade the entire OS to Enterprise. I was thinking about it and I can't think of a reason anyone would VL Pro. Odd!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Most of the O&O stuff is pretty harmless (and good, some of that stuff is dumb) but there are a few things that can break Windows update. It's no big deal though, just make sure you make a backup of your settings (the program itself will do that for you if you tell it to), turn it all back on when you wanna update. I guess that's kinda a feature to a lot of people.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

Man I swear that changed from previous years. Regardless, thanks. Microsoft is off their loving rocker with this bs licensing poo poo. That even says Pro has to have a Pro license to upgrade to Pro.. uh huh.

Meaning you can't buy PC's with Home edition and install a volume license on top of it. Or build your own machine from parts, not buy an OEM or retail Windows license for it, and then install a volume license on it.

redeyes posted:

Yeah basically. The different key will upgrade the entire OS to Enterprise. I was thinking about it and I can't think of a reason anyone would VL Pro. Odd!

Perhaps made more sense before the Windows 10 free upgrade thing, letting you upgrade e.g. OEM Vista to 7 or 8 on the volume agreement.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

IIRC the Enterprise license is an upgrade from the Pro license the hardware would have come with not valid on its own. So that's technically not legit.

We blow away the factory HP image (that has a Pro license) and image with our own Enterprise VLK. There's no connection between the two so the stickered Pro license remains basically dormant until someone like me uses it elsewhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

We blow away the factory HP image (that has a Pro license) and image with our own Enterprise VLK. There's no connection between the two so the stickered Pro license remains basically dormant until someone like me uses it elsewhere.

That's what that document says you can't do, re-use the OEM license, since the volume license isn't valid without that one being "consumed", even if you never make a physical connection between the two. Basically consider the OEM license sticker consumed as long as you have a volume licensed version installed.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The creation of a condition where a machine can essentially consume 2 licenses at once is the most obtusely Microsoft thing I can imagine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waiting for Microsoft to license the PC OS based on per core.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Quick question: I'm trying to set up a brand new PC and want to get Win10 on it with as little effort as possible. I mounted the brand-new hard drive into a working computer, but I don't seem to be able to do a fresh Win10 install on it without either a USB (none at my disposal) or burning an iso (no optical drives at my disposal). I'm using the windows installer from Microsoft, and I'm low on ideas.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think they have a PXE network installer which is the only way I could think of to do that without a drive. (Someone tell me I'm wrong and make reformats easier on me)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
To be clear, I have a working Win7 computer with a new empty drive, and I want to install Win10 on the empty drive without affecting the Win7 install.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Clone the Win 7 install to the new drive, then upgrade from there, is probably the best bet. You might need to gently caress around with the boot order though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

The creation of a condition where a machine can essentially consume 2 licenses at once is the most obtusely Microsoft thing I can imagine.

Check out how SQL Server 2016 licensing works on virtualised environments. Then be glad it's still better than Oracle.