Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cage posted:

Is that in this video? Because I have no idea what you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFwvTI0fCU

its around 1:46/1:47. no audio at work but it looks less pronounced than i remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

its around 1:46/1:47. no audio at work but it looks less pronounced than i remember.

Just a dramatic quick cut because we have the attention spans of gnats. They did something similar at the beginning of that clip.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just a dramatic quick cut because we have the attention spans of gnats. They did something similar at the beginning of that clip.

A few years back I started to notice the amount of cuts increasing in TV shows and it would give me a headache cause I couldn't tune it out. I've gotten used to it though.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Boinks posted:

A few years back I started to notice the amount of cuts increasing in TV shows and it would give me a headache cause I couldn't tune it out. I've gotten used to it though.

Go watch some Diners Drive-Ins and Dives episodes from around season 8-9. I got seasick from them cutting like 3 or 4 times per second.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sometimes I'll be reading or doing something in the living room such that I can't see what's on screen but I can see the light of the TV shining around the room and it's insane how much the TV flashes when there's a show with a lot of cuts. I first noticed it years ago when watching a music video.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bows1 posted:

Go watch some Diners Drive-Ins and Dives episodes from around season 8-9. I got seasick from them cutting like 3 or 4 times per second.

seasick?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

seasick

carsick

motionsick

sick of explaining this every goddamn time (literally 90% of my posting history for 15 years is explaining motion sickness)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
When Scream came out in 1996 were there actually a lot of viewers who thought Drew Barrymore was the lead and were surprised by the opening scene, or did everyone know Neve Campbell was the heroine and that Barrymore was basically just a cameo before going in?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

When Scream came out in 1996 were there actually a lot of viewers who thought Drew Barrymore was the lead and were surprised by the opening scene, or did everyone know Neve Campbell was the heroine and that Barrymore was basically just a cameo before going in?

They put Barrymore prominently on the poster and in the trailer, so even if they didn't think she was the heroine it was probably still surprising

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Also everyone knew Neve Campbell because Party of Five was p big for a while (at least around here)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

They put Barrymore prominently on the poster and in the trailer, so even if they didn't think she was the heroine it was probably still surprising

The real hero was that sweater. :911:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Are directors and other movie crew people allowed to talk about the movies they're working on? For example, while filming Civil War, was Chris Evans allowed to talk about how today they finished the giant fight scene where War Machine is horribly injured? Or do most major notion pictures have nondisclosure agreements in place?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

Are directors and other movie crew people allowed to talk about the movies they're working on? For example, while filming Civil War, was Chris Evans allowed to talk about how today they finished the giant fight scene where War Machine is horribly injured? Or do most major notion pictures have nondisclosure agreements in place?

It varies from picture to picture, but the Marvel movies all have incredibly stringent NDAs for everyone involved.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It varies from picture to picture, but the Marvel movies all have incredibly stringent NDAs for everyone involved.

I thought so. Are those guys even allowed their cell phones on set?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

I thought so. Are those guys even allowed their cell phones on set?

I'm sure they have them in their trailers, but like Chris Evans or RDJ don't really have a good motivation for leaking poo poo and probably face a significant monetary penalty if they flagrantly violate the NDA. For minor crew they might have to turn them in at the start of the day, but there's also just the threat of being blacklisted from ever working on any Disney film ever again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Speaking as someone who did some runner work on the first Captain America when it filmed in Manchester... No. They don't make you hand in your cellphone or anything, but they do have crew lockers and it would be bad form to keep them on you. You have to keep them on airplane mode any way because signals can mess with equipment.

Further to that no one outside of the main crew really has context for what's being filmed. So I knew we were filming a chase scene but with no context of how or when it occurred in the film.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I worked on TFA and they had special tape they put over phone cameras which changed colour if they were removed. You also had to sign in and out of any stage you went on and the crew who needed their phone cameras had to sign even more restrictive NDAs.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I was 12 when the movie came out and didn't see it until it hit VHS so I can't speak to what the first audiences expected going in, but I distinctly remember it being known as a Neve Campbell movie basically as soon as people started seeing it and talking about it. It wasn't like The Sixth Sense where people would talk about "the twist ending" but were careful not to give it away.

Back then I think the average moviegoer made a lot fewer assumptions about any particular movie before it came out.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I can't believe it's been almost 1 year since the release of La La Land (Damian Chazelle, 2016)

That's almost 365 days of sun

Criterion when ?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Man Musk posted:

I can't believe it's been almost 1 year since the release of La La Land (Damian Chazelle, 2016)

That's almost 365 days of sun

Criterion when ?

I'm still pissed that Sing Street got hosed at the Oscars for that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

from what I understand it kind of depends on what they're talking about; he could say they finished a giant fight scene, but saying it's the one where War Machine is horribly injured would get him in some poo poo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More reason why actors should make up crazy poo poo to mess with everyone.

"Yeah, War Machine gets injected with radioactive blood and becomes a vampire"

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Could I watch Fantastic Beasts without seeing any Potter films and still enjoy it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably, I’ve only seen 3 of the Potter films and enjoyed it and don’t remember not getting anything. It’s self contained enough.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You won't enjoy it, but that has nothing to do with seeing any previous Potter movies. It just sucks.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Has there ever been a movie made entirely out of stock footage?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

You won't enjoy it, but that has nothing to do with seeing any previous Potter movies. It just sucks.

Haha, yep.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Which is a huge bummer because it's a great idea and could've been a fun, idiosyncratic movie, but creativity and joy aren't allowed in movies now so it's just another insipid, arid, crappy romance about white people with all the collective charisma of a box of #2 pencils.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dokmo posted:

Koyaanaquatsi maybe? (Probably misspelled).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Koyaanisqatsi has some stock footage but I think the bulk of the film was actually shot by the crew.

However someone has recreated the film, or possibly just the trailers I can't remember, using nothing but stock footage and it is basically identical.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmJ_uEjb8I
A pretty good video about it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No, most of the footage in Koyaanisqatsi is original, though Naqoyqatsi is something like 80% archive and stock footage. It's not a feature film, but This Is A Generic Love Story is constructed entirely from the kind of lovely stock footage you see in commercials. There've also been a couple films made from security camera footage - I can't remember what it was called, but there was a movie about a world where nobody has faces (from public footage with faces blocked out) and one person unexpectedly develops a face.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Technically, every piece of stock footage is a movie made completely out of stock footage.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dokmo posted:

What counts as stock footage? There are films with no original footage, like La classe américaine or Final Cut: Ladies and Gentlemen or shorts like A movie and Rose Hobart but I don't think those are technically stock footage.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Beast of Yucca Flats is a lot of stock footage, isn't it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Atomic Cafe is a great one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There've also been a couple films made from security camera footage...

There's a new one called Dragonfly Eyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fedg-Skns

Narrative from security cameras.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dokmo posted:

Several actually.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dokmo posted:

Anything by Adam Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There are a bunch of movies about Wall Street.