Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zanna posted:

Oh, definitely; I work for a regional grocery chain that has a program for helping local vendors get businesses started.

You need to start your own thread about this, it sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I had mango habenero wings last night from Buffalo Wild Wings.

Did they change the recipe for it recently? Because holy hell was that painful.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Recently made a sauce out of dry-roasted onions, carrots, and my home grown peppers: 6 ghost peppers and 3 Trinidad Moruga scorpions. Apple cider vinegar for the acidity and a nice fruitiness that complements the peppers really well. I got five bottles from that batch and it's delicious, with a respectable make-you-sweat heat that seems pretty well balanced with the flavor.

It's missing something. I think I wanted to throw some garlic and some kind of spice into it but I forgot.

Thinking of doing a super small batch mash with my last four scorps.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a spice store near my apartment that has a bunch of different varieties of dried chiles. Has anyone ever tried to make stuff out of dried chiles (or used them in conjunction with fresh ones), and was it worth it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

There's a spice store near my apartment that has a bunch of different varieties of dried chiles. Has anyone ever tried to make stuff out of dried chiles (or used them in conjunction with fresh ones), and was it worth it?

Can't speak to using them in hot sauce, but for making chili they are invaluable

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So, I had mango habenero wings last night from Buffalo Wild Wings.

Did they change the recipe for it recently? Because holy hell was that painful.

I haven't eaten there in years, when I did, I got the Mango Habenero sauce, I remember it being sickly sweet and not very hot. Maybe they upped the peppers?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jmcrofts posted:

Can't speak to using them in hot sauce, but for making chili they are invaluable

Do you just toss a couple in while it's stewing, or do you cut them up in any way?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's missing something. I think I wanted to throw some garlic and some kind of spice into it but I forgot.

I dropped onions and started just using garlic, seems to give more flavor and less bulk. It sounds like you're doing a low quantity of ultra-hot peppers, 9 peppers total going into 5 bottles. Maybe round it out with more medium hot peppers, some arbols, cayennes, thais, serannos, or jalapenos. I also use fish sauce in lieu of salt but I'm a freak.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Do you just toss a couple in while it's stewing, or do you cut them up in any way?

You can grind them in a spice grinder to make chili powder, or my preferred method is to toast them dry in a pan, deglaze with a small amount of chicken stock, then just let it simmer for a few minutes to hydrate the chilis. Then pour the whole deal into a blender, and it makes this really rich, delicious chili paste that is the perfect base for chili.

The method is explained in more detail here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

You can grind them in a spice grinder to make chili powder, or my preferred method is to toast them dry in a pan, deglaze with a small amount of chicken stock, then just let it simmer for a few minutes to hydrate the chilis. Then pour the whole deal into a blender, and it makes this really rich, delicious chili paste that is the perfect base for chili.

The method is explained in more detail here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

That's basically what I do, I just used water last time though. I used i think 8 Guajillo peppers, 6 or 8 New Mexicos, 3 Anchos, and a can of chipotles.

Today a friend gave me some ghost peppers and I'm a little scared. I think I'll try making some hot sauce. My last batch of Habanero sauce turned out tasty but not too hot. I doubt I'll have that problem with these.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In Rick Bayless's Authentic Mexican cookbook he has a recipe for Chile de Arbol Hot Sauce that is pretty good. You basically roll 50-60 chiles de arbol between your fingers and shake the seeds loose, then toast some shelled pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds and throw it all in a blender, along with some (freshly) ground cumin, allspice, cloves, and oregano, salt, garlic, and cider vinegar. Blend until it's smooth and strain if you want.

You can leave more seeds in or swap in a few milder peppers to play with the flavor and heat level.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Comb Your Beard posted:

I dropped onions and started just using garlic, seems to give more flavor and less bulk. It sounds like you're doing a low quantity of ultra-hot peppers, 9 peppers total going into 5 bottles. Maybe round it out with more medium hot peppers, some arbols, cayennes, thais, serannos, or jalapenos. I also use fish sauce in lieu of salt but I'm a freak.

It was a low yield season, unfortunately. I just remembered I have a bag of Thai peppers from last year in my freezer, though, so I could do a big ol' mash with that and my last few scorpions.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Picked up some new hot sauces today, El Yucateco, Valentina (yellow), Cholula Garlic, and Dave's Insanity. Never tried something based on an extract before, and after doing a toothpick test I can easily say that Dave's is by far and away the hottest sauce I've ever had.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Not sure if it's a franchise thing or not, but the Firehouse Subs near me (I've only been to one) has at least 20-30 hot sauces to choose from. I've tried maybe 10 of them and while I can't recall any of their names I remember only really disliking 2.
So if you wanna try something new check your local Firehouse to see if they offer the same thing!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
The Firehouse Subs brand Datil pepper sauce (Captain Sorensen's?) is actually pretty legit on its own. It's the one you can buy in the fire hydrant bottle.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hi thread! So this Saturday I decided to try fermenting peppers for the first time. Yesterday I saw this fur had developed on the surface. What do you think? Is it mold or yeast, which I've read can develop? And in the more likely scenario that it's mold, what do I do?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Hi thread! So this Saturday I decided to try fermenting peppers for the first time. Yesterday I saw this fur had developed on the surface. What do you think? Is it mold or yeast, which I've read can develop? And in the more likely scenario that it's mold, what do I do?

Scrape it off and maybe the good lactic acid bacteria will win out. Might just be a fail though.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Mine looks like it hasn't really fermented or anything. But it looks less murky than it did originally. It's been 10 days so maybe it hasn't really picked up enough funkiness. The buckets way to big because I thought I would end up with more than I have.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had more luck fermenting whole peppers (well technically cut in half) and then mashing them up, maybe try that if this doesn't work?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So my last ghost pepper harvest of the year is about to come in. I should have 8 more by the end of next week. I'm looking for ideas of what to do with them.

I've already made a pretty straight forward roasted red pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, cider vinegar general purpose sauce that is awesome, but wanna go a little different for the next batch(es). I'm trying to balance "out there" flavors with being able to pair it with a lot of stuff. Coffee/blueberry sounds neat, but I'm not imagining that it will be a great match with most of the stuff I cook.

I'm open to splitting the 8 into 2 smaller batches, since the last 9 made 12 bottles that were all pretty darn hot, even with all of the seeds and veins removed. The only thing that I'm leaning towards right now is a garlic/mango/(blood)orange that would go well on a bunch of stuff.

Any thoughts goons?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

So my last ghost pepper harvest of the year is about to come in. I should have 8 more by the end of next week. I'm looking for ideas of what to do with them.

I've already made a pretty straight forward roasted red pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, cider vinegar general purpose sauce that is awesome, but wanna go a little different for the next batch(es). I'm trying to balance "out there" flavors with being able to pair it with a lot of stuff. Coffee/blueberry sounds neat, but I'm not imagining that it will be a great match with most of the stuff I cook.

I'm open to splitting the 8 into 2 smaller batches, since the last 9 made 12 bottles that were all pretty darn hot, even with all of the seeds and veins removed. The only thing that I'm leaning towards right now is a garlic/mango/(blood)orange that would go well on a bunch of stuff.

Any thoughts goons?

You should make a small batch of mango/(blood)orange/ghost pepper jelly imo. Sounds really good.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

blugu64 posted:

Picked up some new hot sauces today, El Yucateco, Valentina (yellow), Cholula Garlic, and Dave's Insanity. Never tried something based on an extract before, and after doing a toothpick test I can easily say that Dave's is by far and away the hottest sauce I've ever had.

If you see Dave's Hurtin' Habenero, pick up a bottle of that. It's surprisingly not-hot for a habanero sauce (standard El Yucateco blows it out of the water heatwise), but has a fantastic fruity-slightly-smoky flavor to it

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dad gave me a bottle of Secret Aardvark Habanero hs and holy poo poo, this stuff is fit to DUMP on food.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Dad gave me a bottle of Secret Aardvark Habanero hs and holy poo poo, this stuff is fit to DUMP on food.

Yeah it's great.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Secret Aardvark rules, it goes good with anything. It makes an insane bloody mary too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm at the store, looking at the hot sauce selection.

Is HellFireDetroit really worth over 10 bucks for a 4 oz bottle? Because good gods that poo poo is pricy (didn't buy it).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God I really want some secret aardvark

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

So I'm at the store, looking at the hot sauce selection.

Is HellFireDetroit really worth over 10 bucks for a 4 oz bottle? Because good gods that poo poo is pricy (didn't buy it).

I'm not familiar with that brand but generally no. 8-10 for 5oz superhots is not absurd sadly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm not familiar with that brand but generally no. 8-10 for 5oz superhots is not absurd sadly

They're what, rated down in the four digits on the scoville scale on the low end/ I wouldn't call them superhots by any means.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Just lol if you make a 5k scoville sauce and call it "hellfire" in a world where the Carolina Reaper exists

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Unfortunately the entire hot sauce industry spends too much time coming up with elaborate versions of "MAGMA rear end in a top hat RUINER DEVIL XXX" to describe a pretty depressing amount of similar vinegar + cayenne based hotsauces.

Scoville units should be a standard across the industry. You don't buy beer that has a little cartoon slider of how drunk you'll get when you have one, there is a specific amount of alcohol printed on the side.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Or just establish an objective, repeatable, cheap way to test capsaicin levels in peppers and pepper products. A pico de gallo made with habaneros isn't going to have the same heat as a raw habanero eaten straight, and my basic ghost-scorpion sauce is not as hot* as a pure mash fermentation of those two peppers would be, purely because of the additional ingredients.

* still hot as gently caress, and the flavor is incredible. I'm still putting together a list of seeds to buy for next year, but I'm about 90% settled on at least these:

Ghost
Scorpion
Scotch bonnet
Habanero
Thai

And probably those long spindly Kung Pao peppers from Pepper Joe's. I think it's a C. chinense variety.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or just establish an objective, repeatable, cheap way to test capsaicin levels in peppers and pepper products. A pico de gallo made with habaneros isn't going to have the same heat as a raw habanero eaten straight, and my basic ghost-scorpion sauce is not as hot* as a pure mash fermentation of those two peppers would be, purely because of the additional ingredients.

* still hot as gently caress, and the flavor is incredible. I'm still putting together a list of seeds to buy for next year, but I'm about 90% settled on at least these:

Ghost
Scorpion
Scotch bonnet
Habanero
Thai

And probably those long spindly Kung Pao peppers from Pepper Joe's. I think it's a C. chinense variety.

That too.

I had bad luck with scotch bonnets for some reason a few years ago. Pretty much all other varieties I've tried have grown fine but the bonnets kept dropping flowers off after they were pollinated and I ended up with two off the whole plant.

Fatalii.net has a ton of really unusual and interesting pepper seeds for sale. He's got more species than most other distributors and I've never received a mislabeled seed.

Rareseeds.com has a few cool ones but I've had two packs from them in the past that contained mixed up seeds.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

. You don't buy beer that has a little cartoon slider of how drunk you'll get

But maybe they should, that would be 100,000 on the lol's scale.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is Secret Aardvark's habanero sauce worth 20 bucks for 3 bottles?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like it on bbq

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Yes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

Absolutely it is, but I like their other sauces too - it might be worth picking up one of each instead of three of one. They're pretty sizeable bottles, so you won't be running out right away.

I love living in Oregon. Secret Aardvark is the table hot sauce for so many restaurants in Portland, and several in Eugene.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Archenteron posted:

If you see Dave's Hurtin' Habenero, pick up a bottle of that. It's surprisingly not-hot for a habanero sauce (standard El Yucateco blows it out of the water heatwise), but has a fantastic fruity-slightly-smoky flavor to it

I'll give it a shot, I saw it right next to the insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

iospace posted:

That's only like $2 over what I pay at my local store, so if that's the shipped price yea it's great. As someone else mentioned their black bean and jerk are great also, but they are definitely marinade consistency thickness as their bottles suggest. They taste so good though... I probably squirted them in my mouth more than I actually used for food.