Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah there's evidence of horses in Egypt since like 1700 BC, what the hell

Stupid question, where did horse originate? I always assumed Central Asia and then spread out both east and west with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Stupid question, where did horse originate? I always assumed Central Asia and then spread out both east and west with people.

They (d)evolved from domesticated unicorns, duh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

North America apparently. but all modern horses are descended from ones that migrated to Asia. The original North American populations went extinct for unknown reasons.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What does the current Modern Day plot of AC involve? As dumb and bad as the Desmond stuff was at least it felt like it was building to something, before Ubisoft blinked and realized they wanted more sequels.

EDIT: Oh, there is stuff in the OP going over just that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 24, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unlucky7 posted:

What does the current Modern Day plot of AC involve? As dumb and bad as the Desmond stuff was at least it felt like it was building to something, before Ubisoft blinked and realized they wanted more sequels.

the current era of modern day AC is a much looser thing involving a more focused (and less frequent) experience.

If you're asking for spoilers for what we know about this game's then the modern day protag is some cool seeming explorer/archaeologist lady who works for Abstergo and is trying to impress her higher ups with what she's doing in Egypt, it's a brand new story it seems.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Pre-loading now via Steam. The PC version weighs in at 34.6 GB

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I have the capability to play this game on both a PS4 and high-end PC which one should I do

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's also a ton of transmedia about the modern day, if you're into that. It's... mostly bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I have the capability to play this game on both a PS4 and high-end PC which one should I do

Ubisoft PC releases are generally pretty solid so I'd probably go with that if you're looking for the full graphical wowser experience.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

high end pc all the way, unless trading in games is important to you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

A second launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_b39N8lSdE

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft PC releases are generally pretty solid so I'd probably go with that if you're looking for the full graphical wowser experience.

Especially AC Syndicate. Ran like a dream even on my aging system.

The Anvil engine's been great since they got a lot of the Unity era bugs out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Speaking of PC stuff here's an overview of PC specific features and performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8L97gsQ124

Looks like a pretty solid PC version.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/78hpzm/potential_spoilers_got_the_game_today_have_played/

seems to run, look and play great on consoles.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Deakul posted:

Speaking of PC stuff here's an overview of PC specific features and performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8L97gsQ124

Looks like a pretty solid PC version.

I like that I can set it to 60fps and let it handle the rest. I've got a 970/i5-2500/16gb system to play it on and Syndicate ran great on it when that came out, so I'm optimistic.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Does this game unlock for PC pre-orders tomorrow morning? I thought I saw on Steam it would be available at 5 am EDT/10 am CET.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Steam is telling me it will unlock Thursday at midnight here on the east coast of US. Now says “unlocks in 1 day and 13 hours”

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pretty sure a VPN will let us unlock it at some point tomorrow morning at like 10 EST, just set it to Australia.

Also, apparently there's an "avenge a friend" mechanic in the game much like Shadow of War where you can trigger a mission to kill some dude that killed your friend.
So, lets be uplay buddies! Deakhul is my uplay name.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Deakul posted:

So, lets be uplay buddies! Deakhul is my uplay name.

I'm JFC-SA on Uplay if anyone wants to add me.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Add KrispyCrit on uplay if you want a ton of those missions. Without a counter button, I expect to die. A lot.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm JWRK.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
watched a stream of this, spoilers its more ac

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Can't believe I just pre-ordered an rear end Creed game, but gosh darn riding a camel along the top of a sand dune is very appealing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Assassins creed is an odd duck for me. I wouldn't say its my favourite franchise by any stretch, yet its the only long running franchise that I have managed to beat every game in the series. I am really bad for dropping games right before they end too so I guess that's some sort of weird testament to it.

Can't wait to ride camels and shotgun arrow some fools in ancient Egypt. I just hope they keep it as gamey as always, and Mark Antony upgrades your throwing knife pouch or some poo poo for helping him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jim Sterling was uncommonly warm on Origins in his preview, much moreso than Shadow of War. I think the game certainly looks neat but I think I'll hold off until they patch in Microsoft Encarta mode. Despite the combat revamp and more story-oriented questing systems it still looks like 100+ hours of open world bloat. I just want to actually beat an AC game for once!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
84 on Metacritic. Sounds like it's a solid entry, but just more Assassins Creed

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Looks like a lot of high reviews. The main sticking points seem to be: A) the shakeups don't really change it from still feeling like the rest of the games, so if you're sick of AC this probably won't be a game changer, and B) the story seems extra stupid/bonkers this year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, but is it an entertaining kind of stupid/bonkers? Syndicate’s brand of stupid mostly bored me, but I can go in for a dose of entertaining nonsense every now and again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yes, but is it an entertaining kind of stupid/bonkers? Syndicate’s brand of stupid mostly bored me, but I can go in for a dose of entertaining nonsense every now and again.

I found it more boring to be honest but YMMV. Bayek is an okay character but I found the cast really dull.

Overall the criticism above was my main one. AC:O waves its hands at serious changes but at the end of the day it's still AC and the new combat system doesn't change it enough, while in the end being honestly less fun than Syndicate's Arkham Lite system. It feels sort of like AC1 where if they keep the changes AC:O2 will be a much better game buuuut it depends on if they do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

from purely how it sounds Bayek seems like a pretty cool guy but his enemies never seem to evolve from "MUAHAHA I AM THE CACKLING BAD GUY" and his surrounding characters are just kinda paint by numbers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A lot of stuff I have seen is mixed between real criticism( not enough changes, story issues or glitches) to the usual “ why isn’t it like _____”. In this case breathe of the wild. Gamesradar loved it so I am sure I will too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea to be clear most of the reviews are stll in the mid/high 80's, it's a good game and a solid refinement, just left a lot of people going 'I wish they actually delivered on the whole 'THIS IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR AC' better because this is neat'. I'm still hype, sure I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm an AC fanboy so 'it's more AC' is a plus for me.

We're pretty much at the point where these AC/AC-like games are starting to grow stale, Shadow of War also had people saying 'yeeeeea this is good but...it's just kinda another open world stealthy game where you climb towers and sneak murder people and all....' The genre itself is starting to show its age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of stuff I have seen is mixed between real criticism( not enough changes, story issues or glitches) to the usual “ why isn’t it like _____”. In this case breathe of the wild. Gamesradar loved it so I am sure I will too.

If you like Asscreed you'll like Origins most likely unless the new combat bounces off you hard, which I think is possible.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
This has been out a few hours on PC in Austrlia- you can use a VPN with the uplay version to unlock it early.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drunken_Pirate posted:

This has been out a few hours on PC in Austrlia- you can use a VPN with the uplay version to unlock it early.

Doesn't work with the Steam version that I can tell, drat it.
I tried FlyVPN and SoftEther with no dice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I found it more boring to be honest but YMMV. Bayek is an okay character but I found the cast really dull.

Overall the criticism above was my main one. AC:O waves its hands at serious changes but at the end of the day it's still AC and the new combat system doesn't change it enough, while in the end being honestly less fun than Syndicate's Arkham Lite system. It feels sort of like AC1 where if they keep the changes AC:O2 will be a much better game buuuut it depends on if they do.

Man, Syndicate's combat was pretty uninspiring, so if AC:O's is somehow even less fun that's pretty damning for me.

I'll still probably pick this up eventually, because I do fall into that "generally like AssCreed" camp. Though I'm also still a little baffled about the heavy emphasis on RPG leveling and loot. I watched a preview video a couple of days ago where one of the devs talked about how they were committed to the RPG systems, so they made sure those systems really mattered no matter what style of play you went for. I keep trying to think of an action/open-world game that I thought was improved by XP/leveling systems and I still can't think of one. Hell, I even think Witcher 3 would've been better off focusing on alchemy, crafting, and mutagens and ditching XP and levels entirely, and that's a series that started as an RPG.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea to be clear most of the reviews are stll in the mid/high 80's, it's a good game and a solid refinement, just left a lot of people going 'I wish they actually delivered on the whole 'THIS IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR AC' better because this is neat'. I'm still hype, sure I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm an AC fanboy so 'it's more AC' is a plus for me.

We're pretty much at the point where these AC/AC-like games are starting to grow stale, Shadow of War also had people saying 'yeeeeea this is good but...it's just kinda another open world stealthy game where you climb towers and sneak murder people and all....' The genre itself is starting to show its age.

Oh same and I agree that the assessment. It’s more I get tired of the “it’s not exactly like____ it just barrows stuff, well no poo poo. Like i saw a bunch of reviews wanting a climbing stamina bar, no, Assassins creed has never been that kind of game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Here's hoping the story isn't as awful as Syndicate's.
I just want a fun romp in ancient Egypt with no egregiously annoying characters and a plot that isn't borderline cartoony.

I sincerely doubt that combat is worse than Syndicate's, I hated Syndicate's combat just because you basically had a win button and it took absolutely no skill.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

should I play rogue? I loved 4 years ago and never played rogue, so it should feel fresh again, just not sure how good that game was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Man, Syndicate's combat was pretty uninspiring, so if AC:O's is somehow even less fun that's pretty damning for me.

I'll still probably pick this up eventually, because I do fall into that "generally like AssCreed" camp. Though I'm also still a little baffled about the heavy emphasis on RPG leveling and loot. I watched a preview video a couple of days ago where one of the devs talked about how they were committed to the RPG systems, so they made sure those systems really mattered no matter what style of play you went for. I keep trying to think of an action/open-world game that I thought was improved by XP/leveling systems and I still can't think of one. Hell, I even think Witcher 3 would've been better off focusing on alchemy, crafting, and mutagens and ditching XP and levels entirely, and that's a series that started as an RPG.

My big problem with AC:O's combat is that it apes Dark Souls in the most superficial manner. It lacks genuine weight and impact. It has more than the old style but at the end of the day it doesn't have the design sense to really sell that style of combat. It's more dangerous and threatening than AC combat has been ever which is a good thing but I never actually wanted to fight the way that I did in Dark Souls or even in Syndicate. The loot system doesn't help either since it makes skill feel a lot less important than numbers. It doesn't hit the mark between the skillful well-designed play of Souls or the simple button-mashing satisfaction of the older AC games. The biggest advantage I think it has is that it means I genuinely considered stealth instead of wondering why Eziobatman doens't just murder everyone with his invincible combat skills.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 26, 2017