Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Fr3cS3MtY

Gameinformer article listing a bit more of the nitty gritty.

Release date: November 2020
Where to get: Currently either Uplay or the Epic Games Store.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Honestly this crap isn't even relevant anymore so I'm not even going to bother making heads or tails of it anymore.

The (Modern Day) Story So Far:

Desmond Miles (1987 – 2012) was a member of the Assassin Order and a descendant of numerous familial lines that had sworn an allegiance to the Assassins; including individuals such as Aquilus, Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Edward Kenway, and Ratonhnhaké:ton.

By age 16, Desmond became tired of living in hiding and aspired to pursue his own dreams. Using the minimal training of Assassin skills he had obtained from his father, William Miles, Desmond fled from the Assassin compound he had grown up in and managed to travel from South Dakota to New York City, where he found employment as a bartender in the Bad Weather nightclub.

Assassin's Creed

In September 2012, Desmond was kidnapped and incarcerated by Abstergo Industries, a Templar organization, and forced into a machine called the Animus to relive the genetic memories of his ancestor, Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad. It was Abstergo's aim to acquire a map that detailed many "Pieces of Eden" spread across the Earth, which Desmond was reluctantly successful in doing.

Assassin's Creed II & Brotherhood

Following this, he managed to escape Abstergo with the help of Lucy Stillman, an undercover Assassin, and joined an Assassin cell in Italy, which consisted of herself, Shaun Hastings and Rebecca Crane. Utilizing an upgraded Animus of Rebecca's construction, Desmond relived the memories of Ezio Auditore da Firenze, in order to improve upon his newly obtained skills.

Eventually, with the knowledge gained from Ezio's memories, Desmond and his fellow Assassins obtained the location of Ezio's Apple of Eden, which was located underneath the Colosseum. Though successful in obtaining the artifact, Desmond's body was taken over by Juno, a member of the First Civilization, and was made to stab Lucy after Juno revealed her to be a traitor. As a result of the shock, Desmond fell into a coma, and was placed in the Black Room, the safe mode of the Animus, in an attempt to stabilize his condition.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

With help from the virtual construct of Clay Kaczmarek, "Subject 16" of Abstergo's Animus Project, Desmond was able to regain consciousness, and found himself located in the state of New York once more, this time with Rebecca, Shaun, and his father, William.

While in the Grand Temple, Desmond relived the memories of Haytham Kenway and Ratonhnhaké:ton to find the key to the sanctum containing the device needed to prevent a devastating solar wind. He also undertook field missions to retrieve power sources for the Temple, coming into conflict with Daniel Cross. After his father was captured, Desmond rescued him from Abstergo's Roman facility, and assassinated Cross and Warren Vidic in the process.

After finding the key, Desmond opened the sanctum, but discovered he had been misled. It was made known that the device would save the world, but also unleash Juno, who had been imprisoned because of her hatred for humanity; using the device would also claim Desmond's life. Regardless, Desmond chose to sacrifice himself for humanity's survival, while expressing faith that his fellow Assassins would find a way to stop the new threat.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Abstergo recover Desmond's remains from the Temple, continuing their project with him as "Sample 17". The player is cast as a newly hired research analyst at Abstergo Entertainment, tasked with reliving the genetic memories of Edward Kenway, taken from Sample 17. During their time at Abstergo they are contacted by John Standish, a Sage (a human reincarnation of Aita, who was a member of the First Civilization and the husband of Juno) and member of the Instruments of the First Will; a group who seek to release Juno and have humanity act as her servants. Standish had previously been approached by Rebecca and Shaun and asked to access the Abstergo servers on behalf of the Assassins, to discover what had happened to Desmond's body.

John first spoke with the analyst over the company-issued earpiece, giving the employee varying levels of security clearance in order to access the Abstergo mainframe and download files. John then tasked the analyst with delivering the files to Rebecca Crane, who would be waiting in the building's main lobby disguised as a courier.

Eventually, after several repeated hackings, Abstergo began to suspect the research analyst and placed the entire research team under isolation. John, not wanting to lose his proxy and risk exposing himself, promised Melanie Lemay, the acting head of the Sample 17 Project, that he would identify the hacker with his team within a week, while at the same time directing the analyst to Abstergo's cloud server, ostensibly in order to wipe away any evidence of their wrongdoing.

Listening in over the earpiece, John waited patiently as his plan for Juno to possess the analyst's body failed; Juno was not yet strong enough to possess a living host, existing only in a state capable of occupying various information networks across the globe. Realizing his plan had failed, John became enraged, screaming and cursing repeatedly down the comlink as the analyst returned to the Animus.

Shortly thereafter, as the analyst finished their research of Edward Kenway's memories, John entered their security bunker and injected a poison into their bloodstream, in the hopes of weakening them enough to allow Juno to assume control of their body. Meeting face to face with the analyst for the first time, he revealed himself to be a Sage, a reincarnation of Aita, one of the members of the First Civilization. He even spoke with an inflection similar to that of his predecessor, the pirate Bartholomew Roberts.

By this time, Abstergo had come to take the research analyst into custody, but found themselves locked out of the room by John. As he revealed his motives to the research analyst, the security team managed to force their way in. After he attempted to fire upon the security guards, they were forced to kill him in the process. John's actions and the evidence found on his computer subsequently convinced Melanie that he had been solely responsible for the hacks. John's body was taken by Abstergo, and his death was covered up with him leaving Abstergo Entertainment.

Abstergo subsequently discovered First Civilization DNA in John's genetic makeup, and upon realization that he was one of the Sages, kept his body in cryogenic suspension in a research facility in Paris. Subsequently, the Phoenix Project was created with the aim of locating other Sages and using their DNA to sequence a complete Precursor genome, and use the genetic memories within to unlock secrets of the Pieces of Eden. However, in October 2014 an Assassin team led by Gavin Banks destroyed the facility.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue

The Helix research analyst, referred to as "Numbskull" by Violet da Costa and "Cipher" by Juno, is an employee of Abstergo Entertainment tasked by Juhani Otso Berg to finish reliving the memories of Shay Cormac stored in the Helix, after a sudden computer virus outbreak.

After their task was complete, Melanie Lemay, along with Violet and Berg, invited the analyst to the CCO's office. There, Berg told the analyst that the data they extracted from Shay Cormac's memories had served them well, and that Shay's story conveyed a message to the modern Assassins, stating that when pressed, what an Assassin truly wants isn't freedom, but order. It was then revealed to the analyst that Melanie, Violet and Berg were all members of the Templar Order. From there, the analyst was given a choice to join the Templars, or refuse and be killed by Berg.

Assasin's Creed: Unity

In 2014, Bishop contacted a Helix user, showing them the memories of a French Templar serving under the Templar Grand Master and a Sage, Jacques de Molay, before changing the focus to that of Arno Dorian. Once the initiate had completed the first sequence of Arno's memories, Bishop revealed herself and offered the initiate a chance to join the Assassins.

Once the initiate had accepted the offer, Bishop transmitted footage of Abstergo Industries' Phoenix Project, explaining that the Templars were searching for Sages both in the present and the past to map the First Civilization genome. Arno Dorian encountered a Sage some time during his lifetime and Bishop wanted to find that Sage's remains before the Templars did.

When the initiate completed certain memory sequences, Abstergo began performing a server sweep, forcing the initiate's avatar to flee through Helix rifts to avoid being detected, transporting them into other historical periods in Paris.

Once the Initiate completed their research into Arno's memories, Bishop was satisfied with the results. Arno had buried François-Thomas Germain's remains in the Parisian catacombs, and thus they would be too degraded for Abstergo to collect genetic memory data from them. Bishop asked the initiate to continue researching Arno's memories for any information that could aid the Assassins.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

After the destruction of the original Shroud of Eden, the Templars searched for another artefact. On November 2015, Abstergo discovered a new Shroud in London through the memories of Arbaaz Mir's son, Jayadeep Mir. However, the Assassin tasked an Initiate to find the Shroud before the Templars by reliving the memories of the Master Assassins and twins Evie and Jacob Frye. Shaun and Rebecca infiltrated Isabelle Ardant's office in London to steal the twin memories and decided to wait for the return of the Templar, but they were ambushed by Berg and Violet. The Assassins managed to escape from the office and find an hideout in London. Because of the Sigma Team presence in London, Bishop sent a reinforcement for the couple; Galina joined the two Assassins to protect them.

The two factions discovered that the Shroud was hidden beneath the Buckingham Palace. The Abstergo team retrieved the precursor artifact but the Assassins decided to attack. Galina entered a hand-to-hand combat with Berg, defeating the Master Templar. Shaun killed Ardant but Violet flew with the Shroud and Rebecca was injured in order to save Shaun from a bullet. The duo was saved by Galina who used a smoke bomb to eliminate the rest of the Sigma Team (excepting for Violet and Berg) and the group fled from the vault. Later, Bishop revealed a footage from Gramática's new secret Phoenix Project Laboratory where it was shown that Violet had delivered the Shroud to Gramática, who pretended to use it to create an Isu body from scratch. The next part of the footage featured Violet talking to Juno through a screen, where it was revealed that Violet was an Instrument of the First Will and that the recovery of the Shroud was part of her plan.

The Initiate continued reliving the memories of the Frye twin during the Autumn of Terror and discovered the identity of Jack the Ripper. During this moments, several Assassins demostrated their disapproval of using civilians such as the Initates, mainly Eric Cooper, former Initiate, and Jasdip Dhami. William Miles decided to stop using the Initiates' support in the future.

amended from PorkPieHat's thread:rip:

:siren:JK none of this poo poo even ultimately mattered for ACO or Odyssey, lmao.:siren:

If you really care about that modern day stuff, this guy made a great post that deciphered those TED talks in Origins.

:siren::frogsiren:If you are freezing on the splash screen before the game loads:siren::frogsiren:

Just wanted to confirm this bug from AC:Unity IS recurring. I've raised it on Twitter with Ubisoft and a Support ticket, and tried to get the attention of Kotaku & RPS to popularise it.

If you are using Windows Storage Spaces to logically join disks, AC:Valhalla will freeze on the Splash screen and never launch. You can fix this by moving the Sound & Video files to a non-Storage Spaces drive, then adding Symlinks to point them back at the original folder.

Full details here, can confirm this resolved it for me personally:
Link: https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/77106/loading-screen-and-nothing-happens/13?lang=en-US

Steps:
Install https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html
Copy your /videos/ and /sounddata/ folders to a non-Storage Spaces drive
Use the program above to create Symbolic Links to these folders in their original home
Launch the game.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Another primo :ubisoft: thread from Deakul.

Good recap.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm really stoked for this game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
When is caveman assassins creed going to get made.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Cautiously optimistic. Enjoyed Syndicate a lot - little's groundbreaking but it's well-executed and Bell's a good bro. For AC:O, Egypt's a rad setting, and videogame tech in the past few years has hit a good balance between scope and density of environments.

I knew the AC story was sprawling, but seeing it all laid out in a quick summary illustrates the sprawl perfectly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I always wonder who's behind the scenes picking music for AC trailers, because it's always the weirdest stuff.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

When is caveman assassins creed going to get made.

I can only assume that the plot would be that the templar cavemen had a dastardly plan to keep people working well past sunset with their new terrible invention: Fire. The assassins would then try to stop him with their own invention: a sharpened rock.

Also, any idea from [url="http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/"]Caveman science fiction[url] may be appropriate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I hope this isn't buggy as poo poo like Unity was because it looks good.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The only disappointing thing thus far is that the Nile won't be Frogger Thames 2.0.

I hope the free-running is good. Syndicate set the bar pretty high.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Not gonna lie, I'll miss the grappling hook and being steampunk Batman.

Can't wait to go treasure diving in the Nile and beat up hippos though.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mark me down as "cautious, hoping for good things." Not having a free run button is something that sounds like a bad idea.

Trailer has me interested though- this might be the first time since the Revelations trailer that the protagonist has lost a fight, and I've definitely never seen one struggle before to beat so few guys (especially compared to Connor's single-handed assault on Bunker Hill and Arno casually strolling into an execution). If it carries into difficulty, it'll be a good way to encourage stealth.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really hope they show off stealth gameplay, so far we've really seen nothing but open conflict.

It most likely has to do with the fact that you need to level up your hidden blade to even do insta-kills now, one of the few things I really hate about what I've seen.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everything I've seen so far sounds very dour and earnest; I prefer my rear end Creed silly and camp.

(I'll still preorder it because the flesh is weak)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

If this game really does manage to be Witcher: Egypt that would be bad as hell. I'll reiterate the ol "god I wish they would just dump the modern conspiracy poo poo" complaint though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If they can give us a new modern day protag complete with 3rd person segments, I'd be all over it.

If it's just another floating ipad or just 45 second long cut scenes then meeeh.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I don't actually mind the Templar-Assassin metaplot, I just think it would have been much better implemented purely through historical context instead of this ungainly past/present split they've burdened themselves with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nothing makes me put down an Assassin's Creed game quite like a modern day segment kicking in.

"What an exciting ship battle that was! Here's your reward, a slow walk to a hacking minigame"

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
This one will have the most RPG elements, which I love, and it's also coming out on my birthday. :toot:

I've been replaying the Asscreeds in preparation for/anticipation of Origins. Just finished Unity. The post-release patches really help it shine, even if the parkour is buggy as gently caress at times. It's very pretty and fun.

I played but never finished Syndicate when it came out so I'm looking forward to tackling that, too once i'm done with Prey.The one I'm not sure about is Liberation HD, which I dropped two hours in when it came out. It just didn't grab me at all.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In some ways Liberation was better than 3. The persona system was excellent in concept if not necessarily in execution.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like Assassin's Creed and will probably buy this.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Haven't played an Asscreed game since Black flag since none of them have really appealed to me but this looks great.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been waiting a while for the Story/Cinematic trailer. It delivered. If anyone cares here is what the game's story seems to be based on, at least going by my attempt to match the trailer with history:

After their father died, Cleopatra and her brother Ptolmey were supposed to jointly rule Egypt. Ptolmey was only 10 years old though, and thus required a counsel to help him rule, which included a eunuch named Pothinus who was eager to gain power. He saw potential to do so through The Gabiniani, who were 2 old Roman legions called permanently stationed in Egypt from a previous war in Egypt. The opportunity came when the Gabinani were approached by two Syrian princes asking for military aid for their father in a Syrian war. The Gabiniani did not want to leave their comfy spot in Egypt, so they simply killed the princes. Cleopatra had the perpetrators executed, which lead to her earning the hatred of both legions. Ponthius seized this opportunity and made them allies, eventually using their military power to force Cleopatra out of Alexandria into exile, and give Ptolmey sole rule.

When the civil war later broke out in Rome, the Roman general who originally lead the Gabiniani declared for Pompey. Ceaser thus took the exiled Cleopatra's side, and when he won had her installed as sole ruler, destroyed the Gabiniani, and had Ponthius executed.

In the trailer the dudes with the green masks are definitely Ptolmey's advisers. Right after you see Cleopatra and Ceaser in the middle of the trailer, you can actually see two of the green masked men lead Ptolmey out to greet a cheering crowd of Egyptians. The one that is assassinated in the trailer is guarded by Roman soldiers, who are likely the Gabiniani. It seems like they will be the templars in the game, and the main bad guy will likely be Ponthius. Not sure how Ceaser will fit into this, because I thought AC: Brotherhood showed him to also be a templar. Perhaps the whole Roman Civil War will be a Templar Civil war.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
But is the giant snake a templar? :thunk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I picked up the Ezio Collection a while back, and just started Brotherhood. You know, I never thought I would say this, but I kinda miss Desmond. Yeah, he's a huge dork with the most generic design ever, but the stuff with him and Lucy in Brotherhood is pretty fun especially compared to what passes for the modern day storyline in the later games. I know a lot of people would rather have no modern day stuff at all, but I liked seeing Desmond develop from some scrub bartender to a full-fledged assassin.

edit: Also, full synch in Brotherhood (and later games, but especially Brotherhood since you have to start the mission over if you gently caress up) is the worst loving mechanic. I know they had to do something to make the game a bit more challenging, but the full synch conditions take away the freedom that Patrice Desilets considered so important when designing the first game.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 22, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sync is basically the only thing that makes AC gameplay work to me, and Brotherhood had the best implementation of it because it gave actual meaningful prizes.

AC needs less freedom because when you have infinite freedom then there's little interesting push. Full Sync is a good compromise between removing freedom entirely and not having actual reasons to do anything but the one simplest method. (Though honestly even full sync suffers from that.)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I've been waiting a while for the Story/Cinematic trailer. It delivered. If anyone cares here is what the game's story seems to be based on, at least going by my attempt to match the trailer with history:

After their father died, Cleopatra and her brother Ptolmey were supposed to jointly rule Egypt. Ptolmey was only 10 years old though, and thus required a counsel to help him rule, which included a eunuch named Pothinus who was eager to gain power. He saw potential to do so through The Gabiniani, who were 2 old Roman legions called permanently stationed in Egypt from a previous war in Egypt. The opportunity came when the Gabinani were approached by two Syrian princes asking for military aid for their father in a Syrian war. The Gabiniani did not want to leave their comfy spot in Egypt, so they simply killed the princes. Cleopatra had the perpetrators executed, which lead to her earning the hatred of both legions. Ponthius seized this opportunity and made them allies, eventually using their military power to force Cleopatra out of Alexandria into exile, and give Ptolmey sole rule.

When the civil war later broke out in Rome, the Roman general who originally lead the Gabiniani declared for Pompey. Ceaser thus took the exiled Cleopatra's side, and when he won had her installed as sole ruler, destroyed the Gabiniani, and had Ponthius executed.

In the trailer the dudes with the green masks are definitely Ptolmey's advisers. Right after you see Cleopatra and Ceaser in the middle of the trailer, you can actually see two of the green masked men lead Ptolmey out to greet a cheering crowd of Egyptians. The one that is assassinated in the trailer is guarded by Roman soldiers, who are likely the Gabiniani. It seems like they will be the templars in the game, and the main bad guy will likely be Ponthius. Not sure how Ceaser will fit into this, because I thought AC: Brotherhood showed him to also be a templar. Perhaps the whole Roman Civil War will be a Templar Civil war.

The building of the pyramids timeskip and having those green mask dudes in every scene also implies that they have controlled Egypt for a long time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ImpAtom posted:

Sync is basically the only thing that makes AC gameplay work to me, and Brotherhood had the best implementation of it because it gave actual meaningful prizes.

AC needs less freedom because when you have infinite freedom then there's little interesting push. Full Sync is a good compromise between removing freedom entirely and not having actual reasons to do anything but the one simplest method. (Though honestly even full sync suffers from that.)
I was thinking while playing Unity, and getting Creed points for doing things like silent assassinations and escapes, that that could be a nice mechanism to encourage more interesting assassinations without the whole "do this exact thing" mechanism of full sync. Basically, give points (and some sort of reward you can get for them) for any cool assassination thing you do in the mission - killing the target without any alerts, killing them from a hiding spot, having a guard kill them, etc. Points can scale based on how challenging the particular method is. That way you have a reason, besides just a personal challenge, to do something besides run up and start stabbing, but you also have freedom to choose how.

Doc Morbid posted:

I picked up the Ezio Collection a while back, and just started Brotherhood. You know, I never thought I would say this, but I kinda miss Desmond. Yeah, he's a huge dork with the most generic design ever, but the stuff with him and Lucy in Brotherhood is pretty fun especially compared to what passes for the modern day storyline in the later games. I know a lot of people would rather have no modern day stuff at all, but I liked seeing Desmond develop from some scrub bartender to a full-fledged assassin.
:same: The modern day in Unity and Syndicate in particular is so abbreviated and non-interactive, it's like why even have it? I like the Animus conceit itself - the sci-fi aesthetic is an interesting contrast to the detailed historical environments, and it allows for cool things like the WWI flashforward in Syndicate - but they either need to commit to the modern day gimmick and do something with it, or just drop it entirely and not worry about explaining why we're in the Animus looking at these memories.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

I love Desmond because of ACII's ending. Fighting Abstergo with Desmond was one of those defining gaming moments™ for me.

I do think they're planning something with him since he, Clay and Juno are all supposed to be trapped in virtual reality together or some poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's taking them long enough to pull the trigger on this story. I was totally on board with the modern story line (even if I always preferred the past story line) until they killed Desmond and went into auto pilot.

"Oh poo poo, Juno's loose! What the hell is going to happen now!" Nothing. The answer is nothing. She's, uh, trapped. Yeah, and um, she's trying to be free. Here, have a plot about Sages instead!

Are they worried if they ever actually close out the Juno plot, they'll have to stop making games or something? They can just make up a new plot if they want. Or abandon the modern story line. This "You work for a video game company now, nameless, faceless person" is just boring.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can they just kill Shaun off finally? I'm so sick of that guy's smarmy bullshit. I still think it's a bizarre design choice to have combat where getting fuckin run-through with swords and spears isn't a fatal move :psyduck: Hopefully it was just a difficulty level thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you had to choose one video to show someone who has mostly written off the series, which would it be?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can they just kill Shaun off finally? I'm so sick of that guy's smarmy bullshit. I still think it's a bizarre design choice to have combat where getting fuckin run-through with swords and spears isn't a fatal move :psyduck: Hopefully it was just a difficulty level thing?

That's the RPG aspect. You now deal damage that pops up as numbers above the enemies heads. If you fight people above your level you they have more HP than you can deal, even with straight up assassination execution animations. It's kind of dumb...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you had to choose one video to show someone who has mostly written off the series, which would it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_161qJ5XHM

This is the one I showed my friends about Syndicate, but obviously bias there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I actually meant about Origins but holy poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Megasabin posted:

That's the RPG aspect. You now deal damage that pops up as numbers above the enemies heads. If you fight people above your level you they have more HP than you can deal, even with straight up assassination execution animations. It's kind of dumb...

Seriously why do people like this grindy bullshit in games? Progression doesn't mean anything when its just letting you do enough damage to not have to spend 10 minutes chipping down an enemies enormous health bar.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously why do people like this grindy bullshit in games? Progression doesn't mean anything when its just letting you do enough damage to not have to spend 10 minutes chipping down an enemies enormous health bar.

its mostly mechanics made to inflate gameplay hours so they can put that as a bulletpoint. been seeing it pop up mostly in all these huge open world games as if they don't usually have enough tedium to them.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Megasabin posted:

Ugh, that's retarded, if you're gonna rip off witcher 3 combat at least do it properly. Just don't let those animations trigger until it's a lethal hit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gotta grind to level 30 so I can fight the Hippo King of the Reeds and make a +3 assassins' hood from its hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If done well, coming back to fight someone who defeated you, after gaining skills and strength, can be dramatic and fun. This is probably not that.