Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Da gently caress? That is absolutely not normal in the field I've been working in for the last five years. I've been very cautious about this whole thing because it's proceeding so wildly different from any job process I've been through before. Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place." Hopefully this guy understands and I intend to be enthusiastic in person as this opportunity sounds better and better all the time.

Asking about educational and training opportunities was definitely something on my mind. I've had informal experience with coding on a small scale (Code Academy to get familiar with the broadest basics of HTML and I once made a few mods for a coding-intensive video game), so if I get this job I'd probably like to pursue programming/coding training.

I had three jobs that did that with me. I was flown to Chicago, Minnesota, and Seattle. Ended up taking the Minnesota job and yes all three times was 'Man in charge' for a major department, Chicago was for Director of QA for Bungie about ten months before MS bought them and HALO was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone worked with Aruba Instant and Cisco Mobility Express for long enough to be able to come down in favour of one or the other?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I had three jobs that did that with me. I was flown to Chicago, Minnesota, and Seattle. Ended up taking the Minnesota job and yes all three times was 'Man in charge' for a major department, Chicago was for Director of QA for Bungie about ten months before MS bought them and HALO was released.

How's the Minnesota IT job market? Any major companies, industries, or snags prevalent in the area? Scouting out a way to get out of smellinois

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Be prepared to wear a weight belt so the mosquitoes don't carry you off. :pseudo:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How's the Minnesota IT job market? Any major companies, industries, or snags prevalent in the area? Scouting out a way to get out of smellinois
Does Minnesota have anything besides 3M, a mostly empty IBM facility that made AS/400, the Mayo Clinic, and actual mayo?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I read somewhere that tech venture capital money was being funneled into northern Minneapolis due to friendly tax breaks, and it was supposed to be the next Nashville. I don't remember where I read it and I haven't heard anything about a tech boom since so maybe it never panned out?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Aunt Beth posted:

Does Minnesota have anything besides 3M, a mostly empty IBM facility that made AS/400, the Mayo Clinic, and actual mayo?

Best Buy and Target are huge employers in the Twin Cities. The latter surprisingly being a pretty big player in the modern OSS space. They're a big contributor to Kubernetes and a few downstream and adjacent projects.

Neither pay Silicon Valley/Seattle raw salaries, but the cost of living being comparatively much lower, you can live very well on ~90-120.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Best Buy and Target are huge employers in the Twin Cities. The latter surprisingly being a pretty big player in the modern OSS space. They're a big contributor to Kubernetes and a few downstream and adjacent projects.
Is that because Target IT got bullied into the future after that credit card breach a few years ago?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Aunt Beth posted:

Is that because Target IT got bullied into the future after that credit card breach a few years ago?
Target IT doesn't handle their payment infrastructure - someone else does. I bet Target made sure poo poo wouldn't happen again, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, I've got to get in on this container thing. I'm a windows admin with a good chunk of vmware and powershell experience, and I'm not afraid of Linux. How do I get started?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Aunt Beth posted:

Yeah they cleaned house after that and brought in a new CIO (and CEO?) in 2015 who wanted to Agile-ly DevOps and while I have no idea how he is as a CIO, since 2015 they've really turned things around and I respect what they've accomplished culture wise in a short amount of time.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Target IT doesn't handle their payment infrastructure - someone else does. I bet Target made sure poo poo wouldn't happen again, though.
I was going to make this point and call POS systems the printers/pbx of Infra/Cloud eng in that it's not "real" IT work, but it came off as a lovely attitude against people that have to deal with printers and phones.

Nobody does POS things in house, it's like 3 vendors and they all use the same old Linux install that boots Windows XP that uses VirtualBox to boot some loving awful Solaris garbage. If you've ever wondered why self checkout kiosks take so long to do ANYTHING this is why :ssh:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ok, I've got to get in on this container thing. I'm a windows admin with a good chunk of vmware and powershell experience, and I'm not afraid of Linux. How do I get started?
There's no need to drink the container koolaide right away. You'll get far more mileage out of driving changes cherrypicked from 'modern' DevOps concepts.

Start by thinking about what in your day to day has the possibility of introducing the most 'skew' in your environment. For the majority of the people in this thread that's probably user-centric. Everyone has their own workflow around creating users and how much information they do or don't put in. Same for termination of accounts. Are you logging the group memberships that you revoke in a consistent manner? I doubt it. Start by driving down toil on things like this by removing choice (read: variance)

Some people have people have issues with configuration skew. If you had to clone your entire infrastructure tomorrow, could you stand up your website/commerce stack in less than a few hours and guarantee that they are identical? I doubt it. People (that rear end in a top hat cowboy you don't like) love to 'fix' things by changing a config line here, or a wrapper there but nothing ever gets documented and there's no way of knowing that everything writes application logs to the same place, or is using the same password.

Take our newest Pod-Dad the sickening and his password reset story the other day. How long would it personally take you to reset and disseminate a new random 12 character password to every user in your organization? Once you take the first step and have a password reset script that takes a username and password outputs a password, make a v1.1 that takes a list of usernames. Then make v1.2 that you can give an OU (only reset people in the Topeka office), then make v1.3 that can just scan for ObjectClass=Person. Then extend that into another script that can call THAT script that can rotate the password on your service accounts or privileged accounts on a timed basis (every month, or week) or that changes the password on your DomainAdmin account after every use and logs it somewhere that X person from Y location has changed the password.

I'd be happy to do more of a detailed effort post on this later if you're interested and there's other people here as well that are very qualified to answer questions about moving towards having more reproducable or immutable infrastructure.

The takeaway here is drive down the potential for variance and establish good habits around logging and auditing. Your auditors LOVE when they can ask when a change was made and you can in less than 60 seconds give them who did it, when it happened, where it was done and how large (or small) the scope was.

Saying we have a X policy doesn't mean poo poo if you can't actually prove compliance with that policy. Requiring all changes to be made via source code or change control gives you that ability, but there's a lot of foundational groundwork that need to go in first before you can just start throwing poo poo into Docker and calling it a day. Writing test cases for code coverage doesn't mean poo poo if you didn't write integration tests to PROVE that the two feature branches you just merged into master don't actually work together.

(Pretend I linked the picture of the two kitchen drawers that can't open because they're at 90 degree angles and each handle prevents the other from opening.)

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 26, 2017

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What do you want to do?

I know that's a hard question to answer in the very beginning when you're not even entirely sure what the hype behind a particular technology is. I know nothing about your work environment or what your workloads are.

The power of containers is the automation tooling surrounding them. A plain old docker file running somewhere doing something being handled by systemd or whatever is actually pretty boring. I guess you might be able to make things a bit quicker by pulling down an haproxy container file from a public repo or whatever, but that's not the point.

Containers are great because they are the perfect primitive for building upon. What can be built ontop of containers? Immutable infrastructures, applications that can be deployed with all of their dependencies bundled with them, intelligent automatic resource scheduling, CI/CD pipelines, blue/green deployments off the top of my head.

The reality is if you're the kind of windows admin that I was, the value isn't there for you. Whatever it was that I did at previous jobs had literally zero use whatsoever for any of the concepts I just named. But maybe you're not the kind of windows I was, or you don't want to be. If you don't know what you want out of containers, or more importantly, the larger superset that containers are part of, other than that you want them; that is is perfectly okay.

A good place to start is to just make an account with either Google Compute platform or AWS. I'm actually going to recommend GCP here. I've been spending an awful lot of time recently immersed in GCP and it's very approachable compared to AWS. Kubernetes is also a Google product and thus is as first class citizen in GCP.

Great, you've made your account and are ready to start. Here is where that hard question comes in, what do you want to do. You're entering here ~Devops~ territory. You're not a windows admin anymore working with pre-packaged applications that are built for you. In Devops land being familiar and comfortable with software development is now an unavoidable necessity because delivering software that your organization produces is the point. So, naturally I guess the first thing to do is write a hello world micro-service application in the language of your choice. Golang, nodejs, python, ruby. Pick one and follow a guide on the internet.

Your hello world application can be simple, but use many pieces. Find a guide that involves multiple external components, maybe Redis or MySQL. Say ultimately you get 5 pieces to your new micro-service oriented distributed system. A front end, a piece dedicated to db access, something in the background that handled logging, maybe an internal request router, maybe something that procedurally generates a bitmap image, a message bus, redis and your DB daemon. Now, it's time to publish your application to the world. Each micro service is self contained and stateless which means they are a perfect fit for being in a container!

But wait, writing and developing code is hard. The code you write sucks and is actually full of bugs. What a perfect time to set up a CI/CD pipeline to make your software developer lives easier. Like any good developer you've been using Git as your version control system. Why not build a Jenkins server, in a container naturally https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/jenkins/, that will automatically build, compile and test your code for you every time you commit a branch? Jenkins can spawn MORE containers where your code will be built and be ran against synthetic tests you write to be sure you haven't introduced regressions. https://techbeacon.com/beginners-guide-kick-starting-your-ci-pipeline-jenkins

Finally: you have a sane build system like any good developer, your code is bug free and ready for the world. Maybe you start off pushing the containers produced by Jenkins to your VMs by hand, because hey, theres only like 7 of them right? But you continue to grow and your app is pretty popular. It's starting to get hard and expensive to provision all the necessary machines you need to power your bitmap generator. You notice that your application has clearly defined times of the week of peak traffic. Wouldn't it be great if you could size the amount of compute resources you were buying from Google according to your real time traffic load? Enter: Kubernetes.

Kubernetes is a Big Deal. It's actually the technology that is underlying Google's Container Engine that's been open sourced.
Kubernetes, is a system for managing containerized applications across a cluster of nodes. Explicitly designed to address the disconnect between the way that modern, distributed systems are designed and the underlying physical infrastructure. Applications comprised of different services should still be managed as a single application (when it makes sense). Kubernetes provides a layer over the infrastructure to allow for this type of management. Scaling traffic up and down according to load. Logically grouping containers together, software defined networking and so much more are now possible.

Logically grouping containers together: maybe it just always makes sense for your bitmap generated to have 4 micro-services in running on the same host to minimize InterProcess Communication (IPC) latency. Kubernetes can do that. Maybe you always want X amount of microservices running on different underlying hardware to be resilient to datacenter mishaps. Kubernetes can do that. Since Kubernetes is now infront of your apps providing load balancing services, you can do things like blue/green deployments. Lets say parts of your application are stateful, how do you deploy new code? How about just building an entire new parallel environment that you send new users to while the existing stateful sessions just naturally drain off of the old environment. How about running as many versions of the code you write at once?

Containers are the fundamental unit making up larger systems. This is why saying you want to do containers or devops is meaningless. Because it's not something you apt-get install or curl | bash. Devops is to technology-focused companies as the scientific method was to chemists.

This is why containers and the Devops concept/mentality/paradigm/thing is useless to the kind of internal IT windows admin that I was. We didn't write code, we didn't open source software that we were empowered to orchestrate. Running large distributed systems was not our business. If you want to 'get in on this container thing' you need to evaluate what you're doing with it. Maybe you're not satisfied with being an internal windows admin anymore and thats why you're interested. Excellent! The new world of online services is big and scary, but it's here, and more accessible than ever. Join a mailing list! Go to the Kubernetes github and open every link in a tab and read it all! Write your hello world app! Learn to program! (I've got another huge rant about 'learn to program') Read my posts!

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 26, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I've got a weekend project figured out. I'm behind the curve on cloud computing but I don't think I'm left behind yet.

That immutable architecture stuff seems really cool, I went to a Powershell event a week ago where Jason Helmick spoke about using DSC to accomplish that.

It was really neat to see him set up a server with DSC, intentionally go in and break it, and then within a minute or two, it fixed itself.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Find the man nobody's protecting. A man without friends. And beat him until his eyes bleed.

What do you have against me?? :ohdear:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Cythereal posted:

Da gently caress? That is absolutely not normal in the field I've been working in for the last five years. I've been very cautious about this whole thing because it's proceeding so wildly different from any job process I've been through before. Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place." Hopefully this guy understands and I intend to be enthusiastic in person as this opportunity sounds better and better all the time.

..and now you know why I switched careers, I am making twice as much for a quarter of the work (and I ran the loving library at certain times).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I’d love to listen to some good podcasts during my commute but everytime I try to I quit because of apples stupid / non intuitive podcast app.

Which app do you guys use?

Overcast is far and away the best iOS podcast app :colbert:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That immutable architecture stuff seems really cool, I went to a Powershell event a week ago where Jason Helmick spoke about using DSC to accomplish that.

Immutable infrastructure and having a pipeline to produce it is a great way to start. When we started our last app at work we did it from scratch and made it immutable with AWS AMIs. We had developer buy in, happy good times, roses, etc. We got bought and our Infrastructure group has been tasked with taking the holy light to the new business and my drinking to work ratio has increased dramatically. We helped a team transform that had a good model when they left us to go back to their home team with their own Infrastructure (yay politics?). They are moving towards doing some container stuff and we had one of them ping us and say their Infra team wanted them to pull the container at runtime and not during bake and he thought that sounded weird. Good on you dev guy for paying attention.

Docjowles posted:

Overcast is far and away the best iOS podcast app :colbert:

I really like the Overcast app and enjoy listening to some of their topics they produce on their podcast with the guy who wrote the app.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methanar posted:

I'm going to be in Edmonton tomorrow.

Anybody want to hang out and go for lunch?

e; I promise I'm not THAT weird

Where in Edmonton are you going to be at?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey, thank you for posting this. I am in a similar boat, Windows admin who would like to branch out and this helps a lot.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey, thank you for posting this. I am in a similar boat, Windows admin who would like to branch out and this helps a lot.

Yeah this.

Which of the languages you recommended would be your #1? I'm thinking Python would be my choice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not Methanar and I haven't really started learning this stuff yet, but it looks like Python is the way to go. I have heard that this is a good place to start - https://developers.google.com/edu/python/

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My old employer just posted a job ad to backfill my position.

quote:

System Administrator
$62,000 - $65,000 a year

JOB DESCRIPTION:

Ensure the proper operation, maintenance, recovery, security and integrity of Business Systems, Servers, and the data stored within, as well as documentation training. Provide daily support of SAP IT Systems, maintaining and diagnose SAP processes. Maintain EDI systems and relationships. Custodian of company information systems and data stores.

PRIMARY DUTIES

Primary support and maintenance of all IT infrastructure (Servers, PC, Network, Peripherals) at the local site

Manage user logins and permissions
Monitor and ensure license compliance
Serve as the backup to the Systems Engineer
Monitor hardware / software events and proactively optimize system performance
Perform health checks to ensure the integrity of the schema and the data
Perform health checks to ensure the synchronization of database replicas * Primary on-site support for users in the local site, including:

Troubleshoot and resolve issues with supported user hardware and software
Hardware and software installation, configuration, and upgrades
Coordinate maintenance contract repairs and hardware depot repairs
Assist with end-user training of common IT applications

* Participate in budget planning:
Hardware, software and training needs to support the local site infrastructure
Company needs regarding EBS hardware and software
Company development costs for CI in the EBS environment
Training program cost for company and IT staff regarding EB * Electronic Business Systems (EBS/SAP)

Provide day-to-day support and maintenance (4th Shift, SAP R3, EDI systems, etc.)
Manage all customer and supplier EDI for the US and Mexico
Provide performance reporting to site and company management
Primary resource for CI planning
Create, maintain and edit needed business reports
Label design and coordination with internal staff and customers
Maintain and manage all hardware needed for the environment
Primary escalation for all company personnel
Plan and carry out user training
Maintain proper documentation of all processes
Monitor and document all elevated user privileges
Work with other teams to resolve complex application performance issue
Design reports and data queries to meet the needs of the various departments
Plan and execute data conversions and migrations
Monitor processes to ensure that data accuracy and integrity is maintained

OTHER: (e.g. authorizations, authority to issue directives, information rights):

Any other duties as deemed necessary by manager

WORKPLACE REQUIREMENTS:

Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Able to develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others (internal and external)
Self-motivated and results-oriented
Able to lift 50 pounds
Available on-call after hours and weekends
Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
High level of technical computer literacy

EDUCATION:

Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science; or equivalent combination of education and experience.

EXPERIENCE:

Minimum of four years working in a hands-on role in Manufacturing IT
Multi-year experience in maintenance and configuration of EBS, (SAP, Infor, or other product) SAP Strongly preferred
1-2 years of experience with EDI
Experience maintaining, querying and reporting against SQL Server
Experience with barcoding, scan guns, and label printers
Experience with SSRS (design and editing of production reports)
Experience in conducting training
Experience supporting an automotive manufacturing environment is a plus

KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:

Good team-working skills
Solid understanding of networking and at least basic understanding of WAN principles.
Must have strong deductive reasoning / troubleshooting skills
Strong support skills in Microsoft Office applications

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $62,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year

Required education:

Bachelor's

Required experience:

SQL: 2 years
Edi: 2 years

Required language:

ENGLISH

Think they'll get all that for 65k a year?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MF_James posted:

Yeah this.

Which of the languages you recommended would be your #1? I'm thinking Python would be my choice.

Python for sure. I also use Go for some stuff, but that's much more niche. PowerShell is good if you're working in the Windows space but I find myself working with Python so much more.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Vargatron posted:

Depends where., and I don't know where you live. In the bay area it would need to be about double.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Walked posted:

Python for sure. I also use Go for some stuff, but that's much more niche. PowerShell is good if you're working in the Windows space but I find myself working with Python so much more.

I live by powershell now (mostly), I've forced myself to stop using the GUI and am building a nice 'script' repository for pretty much anything I do, sadly some modules do not exist yet and I don't want to dig into WMI/ADSI to shore up gaps as that will consume too much of my limited time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vargatron posted:

That is a pretty wide scope for that type of money. I am sure they could get a warm body to do it, but do it well? Probably only if they can find someone who doesn't know what they are worth.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MF_James posted:

I live by powershell now (mostly), I've forced myself to stop using the GUI and am building a nice 'script' repository for pretty much anything I do, sadly some modules do not exist yet and I don't want to dig into WMI/ADSI to shore up gaps as that will consume too much of my limited time.

I'm an MCSE - I built my career on Microsoft tech. However, as I've moved into the cloud engineering / DevOps space, I've found myself gravitating away from Microsoft stuff.

It still has a place, but I'd personally be hesitant to invest a ton of time into the nitty gritty on that front.

Just my self-reflecting observation; I've adopted a lot of platform agnostic tech (terraform, python, go) and have ended up better for it.

And PowerShell is still headed towards multiplatform viability too.

In summary - learn how to think about things programmatically, not necessarily getting entrenched in a specific language or technology. Edit: but since you're going to have to DO some of it to learn that, python is good for conceptually learning and it's widely used. Good place to be

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

depending on the area, absolutely.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

I'm going to be in Edmonton tomorrow.

Anybody want to hang out and go for lunch?

e; I promise I'm not THAT weird

:gooncamp:

I could be talked into lunch. I'll probably be taking it a little later today (13:00), but as long as I don't have to head all the way out to the West end it shouldn't be an issue. Got any preference as to the grub you consume?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

as long as I don't have to head all the way out to the West end it shouldn't be an issue.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I should note I'm stuck downtown, so I'll probably have to give a pass.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Currently at nait speaking!

No preference for food

Methanar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 26, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Walked posted:

I'm an MCSE - I built my career on Microsoft tech. However, as I've moved into the cloud engineering / DevOps space, I've found myself gravitating away from Microsoft stuff.

It still has a place, but I'd personally be hesitant to invest a ton of time into the nitty gritty on that front.

Just my self-reflecting observation; I've adopted a lot of platform agnostic tech (terraform, python, go) and have ended up better for it.

And PowerShell is still headed towards multiplatform viability too.

In summary - learn how to think about things programmatically, not necessarily getting entrenched in a specific language or technology. Edit: but since you're going to have to DO some of it to learn that, python is good for conceptually learning and it's widely used. Good place to be

I'm honestly glad I went to school for comp sci, despite dropping out, it changed the way I look at/solve problems and now that things are trending towards me needing to pick up some new languages, I feel I have a decent foundation to draw from.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Methanar posted:

What do you want to do?

I know that's a hard question to answer in the very beginning when you're not even entirely sure what the hype behind a particular technology is. I know nothing about your work environment or what your workloads are.

<MASSIVE SNIP>

Posts like this make me feel like I've learned nothing all these years. :corsair:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Well you're both reasonably close. Is travel an issue for you Methanar, or do you have a vehicle while you're in town?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Posts like this make me feel like I've learned nothing all these years. :corsair:

To be fair to us old people, the type of work he's talking about isn't us being left behind, it's a tool that we really have no use for in the Windows world. That may change over time with Microsoft getting more on-board, but how many people need to run their Windows infrastructure in containers?

I've been doing non-persistent (cattle) servers for a long time. Web servers, XenApp servers, VDI. Having something that resets to a master image and essentially gets configured via script or GPO, has user data pulled out and stored somewhere else on reboot is probably as close as you can get in the Windows world unless you're supporting developers on a Microsoft stack.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Microsoft is moving that way in certain respects anyway. We'll see what improvements/changes come as 2016 matures, but they're making changes/improvements to azure constantly at this point and are pushing it hard. I guess we'll see where the chips fall eventually.

I've come over to the side that you're doing yourself and your career a disservice by ignoring the cloud and it's time to jump on board.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I’m getting compliments on my work and my manager and director are talking about future projects for me to work on, so I’m optimistic about my PIP.

On the other hand my manager has talked about possibly having me do some work on the sharepoint project, so maybe that’s his punishment for me instead:v:.

Seriously, though, getting some C# experience to go along with SQL would be great for my career.

mewse
May 2, 2006

quote:

Hello Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder to please send your Random Acts of Kindness submissions by 3:00 pm today

Thanks

:ughh:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vargatron posted:

I like the salary range. A range of 62k-65k says to me 'Stingy company that isn't willing to negotiate on salary.'
And that is possibly an appropriate payscale for somewhere in the Midwest, in a small city. lol if it is on either coast or in a metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I’m getting compliments on my work and my manager and director are talking about future projects for me to work on, so I’m optimistic about my PIP.

On the other hand my manager has talked about possibly having me do some work on the sharepoint project, so maybe that’s his punishment for me instead:v:.

Seriously, though, getting some C# experience to go along with SQL would be great for my career.

Yeah C# and SQL are like peas and carrots, definitely learn them both if you're going to use SQL in any capacity.