Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Minor language aside: finding transcriptions of Iroquois words are a hell of a time because there are five different main dialects with different pronunciations and none of them ever follow the (more recent) style I grew up learning.

And I thought the new German spelling rules were bad!

Sorry dude. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/923393298018045952

he sucks as much in his private life as he does in his professional

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bvygqCWRs

Do note that he (Palast) goes on to state that the loss of the Clinton Campaign was still the fault of the Clinton Campaign, because really, with any competent campaign or candidate it should never have been close enough to steal, (much like the fault of the Gore Campaign lies with the Gore Campaign, on which the fuckery in Florida Greg Palast worked to uncover). He speculates that Bernie would have been such a blow-out for Bernie that this fuckery wouldn't even have mattered.

Also Hillary Clinton is a trash politician. I'm actually hoping for a Nina Turner run at some point, and also Paula Jean Swearengin's victory over Steve Manuchin in Virginia.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 26, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/923357177292529664

ruh roh

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Good

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Not enough. Most of the subreddits banned were small and largely inactive. The_Donald is still going strong even with the same calls for violence going down there as well. Until that shithole gets nuked it's not enough.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

cochise posted:

Not enough. Most of the subreddits banned were small and largely inactive. The_Donald is still going strong even with the same calls for violence going down there as well. Until that shithole gets nuked it's not enough.

Reddit: Still the #1 White Supremacy site on the internet.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kokoro Wish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bvygqCWRs

Do note that he goes on to state that the loss of he Clinton Campaign was still the fault of the Clinton Campaign, because really, with any competent campaign or candidate it should never have been close enough to steal, (much like the fault of the Gore Campaign lies with the Gore Campaign, on which the fuckery in Florida Greg Palast worked to uncover). He speculates that Bernie would have been such a blow-out for Bernie that this fuckery wouldn't even have mattered.

Also Hillary Clinton is a trash politician. I'm actually hoping for a Nina Turner run at some point, and also Paula Jean Swearengin's victory over Steve Manuchin in Virginia.

Nina Turner is gr8 and from my state

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Listen Liberal posted:

One of its early manifestos, for example, berated “higher socioeconomic status Democrats” for antagonizing working-class voters both culturally and economically, by embracing (among other things) “no-growth policies in the mid-seventies just as the economy was beginning to grind to a halt.”14

Why working-class voters were supposed to pine for balanced budgets, free-trade treaties, and the rest of the items on the DLC wish-list was a mystery. The answer, it would soon become clear, was that the DLC didn’t really care all that much about working people in the first place. The aim of the group was to capture the Democratic Party for its lobbyist supporters by whatever means were at hand, and in the 1980s, claiming to represent the overlooked middle American probably seemed like a good gambit. By the early 1990s, however, the DLC’s proletarian period was over. Instead, the group used different rhetoric to persuade Democrats to let them drive.

Now its leaders talked about getting “beyond left and right,” about occupying the “vital center,” about themselves as visionary “New Democrats,” empty phrases that nevertheless carried—that carry still—a kind of hypnotic power over the technocratic Washington mind. Before long, the DLC had discovered the great Cause on whose behalf it would henceforth make its demands: not the forgotten worker but the future—the “postindustrial, global economy.” It was in order to “do business” in this new realm, the group’s many manifestoes declared, that we needed to reform “entitlements” (i.e., Social Security), privatize government operations, open charter schools, get tough on crime, and all the rest of it.15

Why do I feel like I'm reading about Republicans? :thunk:

Better yet why does it suddenly feel like we're living a political groundhogs day over and over?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cochise posted:

just a reminder, a t_d user murdered his parents, and t_d egged him on

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah but so would SA tbh.
murder you're famil

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The "kill your father" stuff in lf was a surrealist joke about Ron Paul you know.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Yes, but its also probably the #1 Leftist site too. Since everyone uses it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

WOMEN AREN'T RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRIMES OF EVERY MAN THEY'VE EVER MET

Maybe the next time you fuckheads start the "Samantha Bee is a racist hoor who reminds me too much of my mommy" argument you could actually read the rebuttals. Or read Amber Tamblyn's recent essay. Or read anything, by any woman, loving ever.

I'm not responsible for Hitler's actions, I just think he is a hero, and a great dear mentor of mine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What about the years of wisdom and experience and personal relationships with foreign leaders that Hitler would bring as a foreign policy adviser, why don't the BernieBros ever tweet about that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did tiny the brontosaur really have the balls to cry sexism over criticizing HRC's hawkishness? Jesus

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Twitter.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Did tiny the brontosaur really have the balls to cry sexism over criticizing HRC's hawkishness? Jesus

Wow, you wouldn't acronymize Kissinger's name, so why are you dehumanizing Hillary Rodham "God Queen" Clinton, misogynist?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

The "kill your father" stuff in lf was a surrealist joke about Ron Paul you know.

yeah, "joke"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

That's not at all what happened, try reading.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

That's not at all what happened, try reading.

Is it misogynistic to criticize Hillary for being good friends with Henry Kissinger?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

The Kingfish posted:

Is it misogynistic to criticize Hillary for being good friends with Henry Kissinger?

It’s misogynistic to criticize Hillary.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Ze Pollack posted:

when your reaction to "maybe burning southeast asian and south american countries to the ground for being insufficiently right wing for our tastes is not a good thing" is to become extremely worried saying so is sexist, well

people begin to question just how good-faith your commitment to equality is

The original post that he was responding to was just stating that women and people of color are held to a higher standard. If people fail to acknowledge that, they are taking part in perpetuating the white supremacist patriarchy.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 26, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The sky high standard of not praising a genocide perpetrator in public.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is dumb.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 26, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

steinrokkan posted:

The sky high standard of not praising a genocide perpetrator in public.

The sky high standard of acknowledging sexism and racism.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

just a reminder, a t_d user murdered his parents, and t_d egged him on

can't believe someone actually went and googled ron paul 2008

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

This is dumb.

tbf harping on her association with kissinger is sorta counterproductive when we could talk about her roles in honduras, libya, syria, and of course all the arms deals to middle eastern dicatorships she oversaw in exchange for donations to the clinton foundation

if anything, she probably taught that old geezer a few new tricks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Democrazy posted:

The sky high standard of acknowledging sexism and racism.

Yes, I imagine racism at the very least played a role in the destruction of South East Asia overseen by currently idolized American governments.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Harping on Hillary Clinton at all seems pretty irrelevant, I wonder what could be motivating it to continue every day for the past 203040 years. (updated for future readers)

:thunk:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
probably people wanting to continue her strategies that blew up hilariously in their faces

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

probably people wanting to continue her strategies that blew up hilariously in their faces

ah yes the long list of people currently running for president and not campaigning enough in wisconsin

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Harping on Hillary Clinton at all seems pretty irrelevant, I wonder what could be motivating it to continue every day for the past 203040 years. (updated for future readers)

:thunk:

1. She’s been in the media punching left
2. Her supporters are still around and still incredibly obnoxious

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
the problem is most liberals have really convinced themselves that centrist democrats are really trying hard to make the world a better place and just can't because of the far left/left/right/far right and their unrealistic demands

so you have people unironically writing things like "anyone who hates hillary clinton does so because of propaganda" or "the only reason this person who published a book and went on a media tour admonishing the base that didn't vote for her is getting any attention is because of their genitals"

you can't separate their broken ideologies from their broken logic, if you have people who "care" about social justice shaming anyone who won't vote for a slaveowner... i'll leave the rest as an exercise for the reader

all reactionaries are like this fwiw

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 26, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

botany posted:

ah yes the long list of people currently running for president and not campaigning enough in wisconsin

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to split the GOP such as the praise and elevation of Flake because it just worked wonders last year

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, I imagine racism at the very least played a role in the destruction of South East Asia overseen by currently idolized American governments.

When someone brings up sexism and racism in leftism and your first response is to deflect, I think you should take stock of just how aware you are being of your own role in the white supremacist patriarchy.

Considering some of the words that have been used by people who want to call themselves leftists about women and people of color, it would do us all good to be more aware.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

When someone brings up sexism and racism in leftism and your first response is to deflect, I think you should take stock of just how aware you are being of your own role in the white supremacist patriarchy.

Considering some of the words that have been used by people who want to call themselves leftists about women and people of color, it would do us all good to be more aware.

when your reaction to "maybe burning southeast asian and south american countries to the ground for being insufficiently right wing for our tastes is not a good thing" is to become extremely worried saying so is sexist, well

people begin to question just how good-faith your commitment to equality is

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So the House just passed the tax cutting thing by four votes and you all are still banging on about Hillary Clinton, huh?

Right on.

USPOL: Yes But Hillary

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it turns out that subjects that people don't disagree on there's very little to say

"that sucks"

"yup sure does"

moving on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So the House just passed the tax cutting thing by four votes and you all are still banging on about Hillary Clinton, huh?

Right on.

USPOL: Yes But Hillary

you can just post about topics you think are important without whining that the thread is talking about something you don't like

here's info for anyone who's interested: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/house-narrowly-passes-budget-moves-one-step-closer-to-tax-reform.html

• Locked thread