Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Oh you said great circle I thought you meant pretty good circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Do you have the steer slightly port or starboard to make this trip?

Oh gently caress

I think I broke my brain, brb

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ElGroucho posted:

Do you have the steer slightly port or starboard to make this trip?

Oh gently caress

I think I broke my brain, brb

You have to steer toward the pole.

Imagine being within a stone’s throw of the pole itself and going in a small circle.

This is like that, but bigger.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jurgan posted:

That's not a great circle. A great circle has to have the same diameter as the sphere it lies on. Longitude lines are great circles, but except for the equator latitude lines are not.

You know...that's a pretty obvious thing but I don't think I've ever even thought about it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's the easiest way to race around the world. Before people came up with some rules to defeat this, here's how you did a circumnavigation:

1. Sail south
2. Go around Antarctica, as close as you can. Try not to die!
3. Sail home

You're now a round the world traveler!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's the easiest way to race around the world. Before people came up with some rules to defeat this, here's how you did a circumnavigation:

1. Sail south
2. Go around Antarctica, as close as you can. Try not to die!
3. Sail home

You're now a round the world traveler!

One time I was on a long hike and thinking about this problem.

I didn’t have access to the record‐keeping bodies’ solutions, so I worked out my own:

Premise: Your route divides the surface of the globe into two major regions.

Criterion: These regions must not differ in area by more than one third of the larger region.

The area of any minor regions enclosed by your route (i.e. because you made loops) may be freely apportioned to the major regions so as to fulfill the above criterion.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
For sailing, you have to travel the equivalent of the circumference of the earth and cross the equator.

Practically, the only competitive route that satisfies this is English Channel–Cape Horn–Cape of Good Hope–English Channel (or the reverse).

If time isn’t an issue, you could always use Suez and Panama.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Drug convictions by type and state.

https://www.axios.com/what-are-the-most-popular-drug-crimes-in-my-state-2498649435.html

Phone posting so no image. But it's interactive anyway.

They try to position dots to match state locations and you get stuff like NC west of SC which is west of DC, and a line of states in the lower right...

itskage has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Oct 22, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I think the bars represent lines of exemption?

Still a terrible way to display the data.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

I think the bars represent lines of exemption?

Still a terrible way to display the data.

Yes, that's correct. But the decision to make the VAT percentage appear right next to the "number of VAT exemptions" bar is either unintentionally bad design, or deliberately misleading to portray a higher VAT percentage, since this is from a pamphlet by the Department of Finance on the benefits of tax cuts.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
My money is on intentionally misleading. It goes alongside the narrative of cutting taxes for the rich and broadening the VAT to include socialized housing, utilities and rentals. This will benefit the poor because

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

itskage posted:

They try to position dots to match state locations and you get stuff like NC west of SC which is west of DC, and a line of states in the lower right...
Good old West Carolina.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Woodrow Wilson was a progressive?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

gradenko_2000 posted:

Woodrow Wilson was a progressive?

Most people consider him one. He was very racist, but so were a lot of progressives in that era. The term has changed meaning in recent years.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is a conservative/libertarian story wherein Wilson was the first/main guy to overtly change the Founding Fathers' True American Vision by shifting things towards unelected bureacrats. Also income tax.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't entirely disagree with their premise.

You gotta ignore the literal slavery to put founding fathers above modern progressives, but the apparatus of a state as defense against arbitrary groups imposing their will is valid.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Regardless, it's a bad chart because (1) it doesn't put conservatives anywhere (I guess you can either lump them in with Founding Fathers or Hitler depending on how you feel) and (2) there appears to be a Y axis and you can kind of guess the ones higher up are supposed to be better (because Founding Fathers!), but it's unclear. Also it makes it look like the Constitution is one step away from anarchy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jurgan posted:

Most people consider him one. He was very racist, but so were a lot of progressives in that era. The term has changed meaning in recent years.

Wilson defeated a man1 running under the banner of the Progressive Party to win the presidency in 1912.

1Teddy Roosevelt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what progressive policies did Wilson pass? Income tax was already mentioned

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gradenko_2000 posted:

what progressive policies did Wilson pass? Income tax was already mentioned

Federal Reserve, FTC, 8 hour day for the railroads, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_(1865%E2%80%931918)#President_Wilson

ulmont has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Oct 26, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

* "Indvidual" refers to cis, white, heterosexual males with money only.
** May include cis, white, homosexual males with money if they are "one of the good ones"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not technically a graph, but within the spirit of this thread:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Regardless, it's a bad chart because (1) it doesn't put conservatives anywhere (I guess you can either lump them in with Founding Fathers or Hitler depending on how you feel) and (2) there appears to be a Y axis and you can kind of guess the ones higher up are supposed to be better (because Founding Fathers!), but it's unclear. Also it makes it look like the Constitution is one step away from anarchy.

Conservatives believe their philosophy is the exact equal to the philosophy of the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, so they wouldn't need to be put anywhere.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Conservatives believe their philosophy is the exact equal to the philosophy of the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, so they wouldn't need to be put anywhere.

I mean...they're not wrong, really. Except for the Deism thing.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Gorilla Salad posted:

This isn't even a computer glitch. This is just a teacher being a dickwad.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ikanreed posted:

I don't entirely disagree with their premise.

You gotta ignore the literal slavery to put founding fathers above modern progressives, but the apparatus of a state as defense against arbitrary groups imposing their will is valid.

Yeah, but it's an incredibly shallow analysis of the concept.

It's like knowing basic arithmetic and calling it the whole of mathematics

Now this chart is an in depth view of the political spectrum!

Also why won't females gently caress me?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is the difference between "True" and Real Anarchy?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zemyla posted:

This isn't even a computer glitch. This is just a teacher being a dickwad.

I presume that the order was randomized and the quiz maker didn't know that.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sooo... according to the axis of care, liberal feminism cares less than MRS :mrapig:?

And along the knowledge spectrum, girls r dum?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sooo... according to the axis of care, liberal feminism cares less than MRS :mrapig:?
See the arrow.
Bottom right: High Care
Top left: Low Care

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I wanna say that it's supposed to mean anarcho-capitalism and anarchism respectively, based on how pretentious the whole thing is

I doubt he could've thought of a more confusing way to phrase that, though

wtf is fourth wave feminism and why is it patriarchal?!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

MrUnderbridge posted:

And along the knowledge spectrum, girls r dum?
It's Feels Vs Reals with feels being women and reals being men.

noether posted:

Tradwives? :shrug:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Real is anarcho-capitalism, "true" is left wing anarchism (because it is obviously fake.)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
MRA doesn't know anything and doesn't care, checks out.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

noether posted:

"Fourth-wave feminism" acknowledges trans women. This is a graph of how MRAs and TERFs fundamentally agree in their worldviews.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Besesoth posted:

"Fourth-wave feminism" acknowledges trans women. This is a graph of how MRAs and TERFs fundamentally agree in their worldviews.

wait, I thought that was a third wave thing

isn't that what these loons usually scapegoat anyway?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm a New Wave SMURF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'd love to see the professor/TA trying to argue that 'Both A and B are correct' is correct.

Then again I'm 'that guy' who argues with the quiz master at pub quiz nights.