Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I didn't know New Blood's plan was to be a creator of amazing 90's-style FPS games but damned if I'm not 100% on board with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really like that aliased/voxel-like art style.

I'm weird and really like late 90s early 00's 3D with aliased edges for some reason. Maybe because I had to settle for no AA almost my entire life playing games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah that game looks pretty fun! I think my only aesthetic gripe is that I tend to strongly favor "conventional" weapons--shotguns and rocket launchers--over magical/mystical things like tridents and scepters. Maybe I just had a bad experience with Hexen and Heretic growing up. Seems like they're doing a pretty good job conveying a sense of power and punch in those weapons, nonetheless.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love it too but I don't like it when it gets combined with a ton of graphical effects that weren't possible back in the 90s, like when the creator applies every type of decal and shader and HDR and depth of field and dynamic lighting effect that their engine supports to the otherwise chunky graphics.

I watched Vinny stream 3D Dot Game Heroes and it was a pretty egregious example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfTLtMmcFbc

edit: I guess it wasn't exactly going for a pure retro look, what with the objects and environments supposed to look like 3D-ified sprites and tiles which are already out of period, but I think it could have looked a lot better if they didn't just check every single special effects box in their engine's editor

edit 2: I would really like it if someone took like the Quake 2 source release (original, not an updated modernized version) and made a game that could pass for a long lost never released game from 98 or 99

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 26, 2017

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I kinda like how the level geometry looks late 90s/early 00s but with some shaders on the textures. They don't look low-res either so it's not a completely retro look

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pope Guilty posted:

I didn't know New Blood's plan was to be a creator of amazing 90's-style FPS games but damned if I'm not 100% on board with it.

For sure, if they keep publishing games like these we'll have quite a library in 10 years. We can hope! And of course pumped for Ion Maiden.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I think the best part is not a single mention of 'procedural generation' on the store page.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Saw this in an RPS article on Amid Evil's announcement, hope it's true:

quote:

Publisher New Blood Interactive (also releasing the pleasingly Quake’y Dusk this Halloween)

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Amid Evil looks pretty good, but then again so did RoTT when it was first shown off. I really hope it doesn't turn out as disappointing as RoTT.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BlueberryCanary posted:

Amid Evil looks pretty good, but then again so did RoTT when it was first shown off. I really hope it doesn't turn out as disappointing as RoTT.

I was confused at first too, but the makers of Amid Evil aren't the same people behind the Rise of the Triad remake, they're the ones who made the Return of the Triad mod for Doom.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Please give me more DUSK.

I need it.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

The architecture looks rad as hell for this game! Dusk is going to be Trenchbroom compatible, fingers crossed than Amid Evil will be too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GuyonthecoucH posted:

The architecture looks rad as hell for this game! Dusk is going to be Trenchbroom compatible, fingers crossed than Amid Evil will be too.

It’s in UE according to the trailer

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Interesting they advertising "did Return of the Triad" rather than "did New Rise of the Triad" given I thought the Return guys (guy?) also worked on Rise.

I got my monies worth of Rise, personally, but thought Return was better.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Dooms and Quakes and Wolfensteins are 66% off on GOG right now; among other Halloween discounts.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Dooms and Quakes and Wolfensteins are 66% off on GOG right now; among other Halloween discounts.

Missed chance 66.6% off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Please give me more DUSK.

I need it.

I'm so buying it and I know it's getting a sale on release.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

BattleMaster posted:

edit 2: I would really like it if someone took like the Quake 2 source release (original, not an updated modernized version) and made a game that could pass for a long lost never released game from 98 or 99

It'd make more sense to use something like Yamagi Quake 2. It's basically Quake 2 but with a bunch of bugs fixed and handling modern environments less brokenly. For instance, it can play music without a CD-ROM drive that has a direct audio link to the sound card.

Though I'd rather work with Quake 1 or Quake 3, dropping support for any form of not-platform-bound gamecode was dumb.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I am an idiot, as demonstrated below.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 26, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tippis posted:

I have run across that neat little problem where Time Machine silently fails half-way through its backup because it (apparently) encounters something it cannot handle, and also have no way of explaining.

It it just keeps backing up the same 800MB over and over, failing at the same point, and saying that the last backup was a week ago. No amount of forcing will get it to actually complete, and I have no way of knowing what its problem is because it's a user-friendly product that tells the user nothing.

So, is there a way to figure out exactly where it fails? I've seen scattered reports that it's fairly common but everyone seems to get stuck on that detail — if they can somehow get rid of the offending part of the file system, it works fine; if not, it's nuke-and-start-over time. I've tried to make sense of the console, but it's just too messy to let me find anything without guidance.

Try a rocket launcher, or if that fails the BFG.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Have you tried using a newer beta build of gzdoom

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Keiya posted:

Try a rocket launcher, or if that fails the BFG.

I'll certainly apply it to Safari. It was obviously its fault — definitely not mine — that I was in the wrong tab. So there. :ohdear:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mordja posted:

Saw this in an RPS article on Amid Evil's announcement, hope it's true:

The official date on Steam is incorrect. They're still promising it later this year.

As Shigeru Miyamoto is said to have remarked, a game is late once, but it's bad forever!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sale on Steam puts Strafe down to $14. I think I'm gonna grab that now and it will satisfy me until Christmas sale when I'll have more money to buy Dusk.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, I gave Amid Evil a spin at PAX Aus.

It's great! It's basically Medieval Fantasy Quake, with a mechanic I didn't quite understand at the time where picking up souls dropped by enemies (and I guess in hidden areas etc. too?) can supercharge your weapons for a bit. Level design felt really nice.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh so you get to play Reaper in Amid Evil. :v:

Would you be able to compare it to Hexen/Heretic at all? What makes it quake like as opposed to Hexen/Heretic-like?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ularg posted:

Would you be able to compare it to Hexen/Heretic at all?
It's like Heretic in that all the weapons and environments I saw were medieval fantasy, and there was a supercharged-weapon mechanic ala Tome of Power.

Ularg posted:

What makes it quake like as opposed to Hexen/Heretic-like?
The level design is Quake 1 as hell. Very flow-y, very low-poly.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just paste the Hexen fighter muscle arm in the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The way the PC moves in the trailer is also very Quake and not Heretic/Hexen at all, which makes me a little sad. I'd love for them to do a take on Heretic/Hexen that actually has the right feel to the movement.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Speaking of, I need to play Heretic/Hexen more. If I'm using Gzdoom to play those, are there any gameplay/graphical mods that would be cool to use? For gameplay mods I'd probably try to keep the same weapons and balance, but want something like how Smooth Doom adds a bunch of visual elements like shell casings and blood and gibs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus :stare:

Yeah, if you can consider Quake as 'Doom, but actually 3D and pumped up', then I'd say Amid Evil is the same thing, but switch out Doom for Heretic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcW0Cl_vAQ

Very nice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For Hexen a load of weapons look weird in widescreen as they were only drawn for 4:3 resolutions. Try using the file here which fixes that along with the gargoyles on the HUD etc.

Beyond that, make sure you patch Deathkings of the Dark Citadel as the Steam version doesn't have any music (this was the case with the original retail release but Raven released a patch for it)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ularg posted:

I need to play Hexen more.

You really, really don't. :v:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who remembers a game called Heretic II?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Lemon-Lime posted:

The way the PC moves in the trailer is also very Quake and not Heretic/Hexen at all, which makes me a little sad. I'd love for them to do a take on Heretic/Hexen that actually has the right feel to the movement.

Yeah it's a shame so many of these retro games go for the permanent bunny hopping because that poo poo sucks - they might as well force you to run diagonally at all times or grind against walls at an angle to move faster. Give me movement that feels good and fast without constant bouncing or engine exploits, like Doom and Hexen. Dusk at least is actually balanced for non-bunnyhopping so that's something I guess.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 27, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of Amid Evil and Dusk, they're apparently gonna be showcasing the former and Episode two of the latter sometime Friday night (America Time)/Saturday afternoon (Aussie Time):

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/923721792191172609

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who remembers a game called Heretic II?

You're not alone. I really liked Heretic II, not an early FPS but was drat fun.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is heretic 2 available somewhere and playable on modern machines? I’d love to revisit it - I remember it being a lot of fun

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Edit: Exodus from the Earth is 90% off. Grab it and experience what classic gameplay and story from the mid-00s.

Guillermus posted:

You're not alone. I really liked Heretic II, not an early FPS but was drat fun.

I was wondering why no one compared HII to Amid Evil since it's the closest thing I can think of other than the Greek chapter in Daikatana.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Some weird Russian FPS from 1995 got a 'remastered' edition on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/708800/Dungeons_Of_Kremlin_Remastered/

quote:

Dungeons Of Kremlin: Remastered is a throwback classic first person shooter game like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom or Hexen.
Your main quest is to kill the necromancer Ivan Grozniy who revives evil spirits.
Beware of traps and harmful items what can kill you more quickly than enemies. Explore the different locations of
dungeons and find all weapons to use them in final boss fight. This is your way to become a hero who defeated
evil and save the civilians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXErKk1mpRQ

You appear to be a man stuck in a basement who kills homeless people and weird green ghosts with a knife. Also bats are there