Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It is really frustrating I know exactly how stupid the trigger is right now for my poo poo mood today and I still cant do anything about other than snarl at humans. Mental health really can be so frustrating esp when you know what sets you off but.... it happens anyway.

gently caress this poo poo Im going to take it out on some unsuspecting iron at the gym

Drive your new sportswagon to Little Hartley and back. I bet it's fun on Bells Line of Road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ooòon the other hand the Levorg looks poo poo hot and brightens the mood immediatly

Edit : Ha talk about beaten to the partial solution involving a smoking hot wagon

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gotta be better than sitting on the train. Seriously gently caress people who talk on their phones in the quiet carriage. Next time I'm bringing a squirt gun

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You need earplugs to ride the light rail trains here at times.

e: gently caress yes stranger things season 2 coming out in 20 hours

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 26, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You need earplugs to ride the light rail trains here at times.

I have an interview in loving downtown Dallas next week, you better believe I'm taking the train ($6 day pass, I think? less if I'm going to ride <2.5 hours total) instead of driving + dropping :10bux: on parking. There's a station 10 minutes away from me.

:o

Good luck dude. Knock the interview out of the park.

Pretty sure the output shaft seal on the wagon has been leaking. I've had a small constant puddle of atf under it for a while, but wasn't sure how much had drained or how steady it was since my driveway takes forever to clear off.

Noticed it slipping while shifting from 2nd to 3rd tonight after warming up, dumped the 3/4 of a bottle of royal purple atf I had lying around in and it immediately smoothed out. I should have time to fix it around mid november or so, so I guess I'll keep dumping atf in it and hope it doesn't rupture for good before then. How much is mazda's in house unicorn blood atf again? Cause the only other thing available in my area that meets their spec that isn't house brand junk is the aforementioned $12/qt royal purple. :suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit that'll learn me to keep editing posts. :v:

The face to face is a formality. Already did a phone interview, then a skype interview. Basically have to get a final "yeah he coo" from the local manager and fill out paperwork.

It's nothing full time - it's essentially a high tech employment agency (Shiftgig), but at least it's another source of income. One with a W2 attached instead of a 1099.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

On the phone to my broadband supplier yesterday because the router is being flaky as balls and being dragged through the mandatory checklist she gets to questions about where it's sited, being in mind it's not moved in the 2 years I've owned it.
"Is it near any glass?"
"It's a couple of feet from a window but there's physically nothing between the router and the devices that keep dropping signal"
"Well over time glass will drain the WiFi signal "
I stayed silent because otherwise I'd have sworn. Later when explaining how I couldn't plug my phone into the router by Ethernet cable to get a stable signal and how if WiFi didn't work then from my point of view I had no product she just hung up on me.

So I rang back and spoke to someone new, lodged a complaint and got talked through separating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, which I knew wouldn't help as none of the phones or tablets in the house have 5ghz.

As soon as this contract runs out I'm switching suppliers.

I've had so many conversations over the phone with a call centre person reading from a script because they know nothing. Also call centre people straight up questioning what I know and making out like I'm stupid. And that reminds me, I have an open complaint logged with BT that I need to chase up on...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It is really frustrating I know exactly how stupid the trigger is right now for my poo poo mood today and I still cant do anything about other than snarl at humans. Mental health really can be so frustrating esp when you know what sets you off but.... it happens anyway.

gently caress this poo poo Im going to take it out on some unsuspecting iron at the gym

I really ought to cultivate that as a mental health solution - I'm on the much more American "eat your feelings" plan.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Mindfulness meditation is a pretty great outlet that works for me :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My wife and the baby are out of town and I had the best sleep I've had in 2 months. Now I feel a bit guilty because my wife needs a good night of sleep more than I do.

Edit: holy gently caress I was not awake enough when I wrote that.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 26, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If I need to meditate, I work on the cars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

Jesus Christ that is the worst.
I could barely take seeing my Grandad in the hospital after surgery to repair a hole in his diaphragm. Several of his organs had traversed the hole and were collapsing a lung, so they had to move those back, as well. Organs do not like to be handled. He was so frail and helpless, and I'd literally never seen him like that. He was a farmer/rancher, as well as working a cargo loading dock for much of his life, so was always the strong, lean, hardy guy. It was really tough to take.
I don't like hospitals on the best of days. That... was not the best of days.

I held my Dad's hand while he died, and it was the hardest and most necessary thing I've ever done. Cancer is a bitch. He went from the same beat up ex-trucker with a heart of gold he'd been as long as I've been alive to confined to a hospital bed in his living room in less than three months.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, I just... ugh, job stuff is loving with me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Thats cool man, just take a 5 minute break from life and consider what's there between all them job thoughts. It's pretty refreshing.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wrar posted:

My wife and the baby are out of town and I had the best sleep I've had in 2 months. Now I feel a bit guilty because my wife needs a good night of sleep now then I do.

I can't talk because I have neither wife nor baby, HOWEVER. The couple with the best relationship that I know of have a monthly mental health day deal. Once a month (or so) they each get a chance to go do what they want. The other looks after the kid.

Often my mate and I will go camping, it's a nice 24 hour break for him with no early wake up. And we get to drink whisky and sit around a fire

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
To balance the thread a little bit here is some good doggo news: My sister adopted a rescue dog from hurricane harvey last week and had to schedule an appointment to get a tumor removed today. Turns out it was just scar tissue from a previous surgery, and nothing was needed. Here she is on the way home:

And bonus family shot

edit: dog in foreground is about a foot and a half long for reference

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

I can't talk because I have neither wife nor baby, HOWEVER. The couple with the best relationship that I know of have a monthly mental health day deal. Once a month (or so) they each get a chance to go do what they want. The other looks after the kid.

Often my mate and I will go camping, it's a nice 24 hour break for him with no early wake up. And we get to drink whisky and sit around a fire

A cool couple I know has a similar deal. One night a week, one takes the kids, the other gets to do whatever. The dude wrenches on his bug and his 240Z, the girl hangs out with her girlfriends who are all beer nerds.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I've been browsing CL, looking for a bad decision.

My heart just ain't in it.

Every day I've driven in the last two weeks, I've encountered some idiot on the roads doing something dangerous or hazardous to other drivers. It's just so goddamned exhausting and it makes me ashamed to call myself an auto enthusiast.

Turn the Miata into a track car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Super Mario Odyssey is coming out tomorrow and I am pretty pumped. I have been playing copious amounts of Breath of the Wild and have gotten pretty far into that game. I defeated the big boss (which was kind of easy - a little bit of a let down) but still have a million side quests and shrine quests to do. The Switch is still entertaining and a nice way to zone out for a couple hours before bed. This winter I am planning a mental health retreat in my garage where I can get it more organized and work on my RC cars. The M3 will go away and wait for warmer weather in the next month. I might try to replace the engine mounts on it over the winter because they are freaking fluid filled hydraulic engine mounts (what?) that collapse and fail about the mileage that my car is currently sitting at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is coming out tomorrow and I am pretty pumped. I have been playing copious amounts of Breath of the Wild and have gotten pretty far into that game. I defeated the big boss (which was kind of easy - a little bit of a let down) but still have a million side quests and shrine quests to do. The Switch is still entertaining and a nice way to zone out for a couple hours before bed. This winter I am planning a mental health retreat in my garage where I can get it more organized and work on my RC cars. The M3 will go away and wait for warmer weather in the next month. I might try to replace the engine mounts on it over the winter because they are freaking fluid filled hydraulic engine mounts (what?) that collapse and fail about the mileage that my car is currently sitting at.

Oh hey Switch owner. Do you find you use it more on your tv or as a handheld?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My wife loves her Switch. She got Zelda (of course) and Skyrim.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After my 14 hour day at the hospital it has dawned on me that a portable game system might not be a bad thing to own.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
In a hilarious change of work related events, my terrible director was finally fired. The best part was they told no one and walked him out on a Friday. His replacement walked in Monday. Went drinking last night with him and a few coworkers, found out he wants to move me back over the group I was hired to run and put our only new hire next year under me.
:feelsgood:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Speaking of Nintendo, I read somewhere that they are releasing a 64 Classic console before Xmas?

Holy poo poo I need one but what are the odds of actually getting it since nintendo is blue balling everyone with the whole supply/demand bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Speaking of Nintendo, I read somewhere that they are releasing a 64 Classic console before Xmas?

Holy poo poo I need one but what are the odds of actually getting it since nintendo is blue balling everyone with the whole supply/demand bullshit.

I doubt we'd be this close to Xmas and not seeing solid info about that. Maybe next Xmas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nah they just released a SNES classic

N64 was the absolute worst Nintendo console ever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just make your own:

http://hardtech.tv/arduino/best-diy-arduino-raspberrypi-gaming-consoles/

I'm partial to the PiGrrl, which you can buy as a kit.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 26, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BRING ME THE TAR AND FEATHERS

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BraveUlysses posted:

Huh? :raise:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Adiabatic posted:

My work offers mindfulness and resiliency courses, including Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. It's pretty amazing what it can do.

That being said, if I'm pissed I go for a run. Sitting in mindful meditation just ain't gonna happen if I want to put my hand through a wall.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

Virtually incorrect

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey Switch owner. Do you find you use it more on your tv or as a handheld?

I loving love my switch. Mostly TV, but I've handheledededed it a lot more lately. Mostly just rest it on a little laptop-table-thingy and lay back with the controller when the wife wants to watch something on the TV and I want to game.
I am also very hype about Galaxy. And many other games.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

In a hilarious change of work related events, my terrible director was finally fired. The best part was they told no one and walked him out on a Friday. His replacement walked in Monday. Went drinking last night with him and a few coworkers, found out he wants to move me back over the group I was hired to run and put our only new hire next year under me.

Awwww yisssss. Less stress in your future?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

On the phone to my broadband supplier yesterday because the router is being flaky as balls and being dragged through the mandatory checklist she gets to questions about where it's sited, being in mind it's not

Do you have a chromecast or anything like that really close to the router that could be creating interference?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

the spyder posted:

Always nice when a wtf moment turns out that good!

Switch chat - we picked one up last night (got a gift card and cash back I sort of forgot about made it basically free) and realized it doesn't come with games. Thanks Nintendo.

Got Mario Odyssey on order already, how's the Mario and Rabbids game? Is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe any different than the one on the Wii U?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hmm. Running into major imposter syndrome poo poo trying to make me not do things (like try to buy a dyno) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm sitting here looking at an auction for a dyno water brake and... I have a data acquisition system and can build control valves and all the supporting infrastructure but ... if it's that easy why doesn't everyone build dynos?

I dunno; I almost feel like I need to be around "normal" car people more or something; I've lost all perspective on things. Like, legitimately had a "... well at that price why don't you just do it yourself on a lathe?" thing crop up. Apparently most people don't have lathes and mills of their own?

Doesn't really have a point just mildly wigging out. I'm alternating between "holy hell I could legitimately do a side business here" and "... no there is no unique thing that I can do that people will pay money for" and it's annoying.

Most people just don't have the Maker mentality. I look at stuff all the time and realize that I could do that. I don't get the impostor syndrome as much because several people I associate with are Makers, members of the local Maker Space, etc. My dad was a machinist before getting his engineering degree (which apparently makes him rare among engineers, LOL), and his brother is still a machinist, so I've basically got a background in fixing and building stuff from the get-go. Dad has a 9" lathe and a Bridgeport mill, and has had various welders and fab tools since I could remember.

I almost get the opposite effect: how could you *not* make or fix that thing? It's so easy!

On the phone to my broadband supplier yesterday because the router is being flaky as balls and being dragged through the mandatory checklist she gets to questions about where it's sited, being in mind it's not moved in the 2 years I've owned it.
"Is it near any glass?"
"It's a couple of feet from a window but there's physically nothing between the router and the devices that keep dropping signal"
"Well over time glass will drain the WiFi signal "
I stayed silent because otherwise I'd have sworn. Later when explaining how I couldn't plug my phone into the router by Ethernet cable to get a stable signal and how if WiFi didn't work then from my point of view I had no product she just hung up on me.

So I rang back and spoke to someone new, lodged a complaint and got talked through separating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, which I knew wouldn't help as none of the phones or tablets in the house have 5ghz.

As soon as this contract runs out I'm switching suppliers.

I hate poo poo that just sort of work - you get this sort of "help". Kill it good a water dunking or something so they have to replace it, and won't try to "fix" it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's the healthy way to handle it, I think. I also use video games (with chat turned off so I don't have to hear the morons on the other end.)

slothrop posted:

Gotta be better than sitting on the train. Seriously gently caress people who talk on their phones in the quiet carriage. Next time I'm bringing a squirt gun

Then there's the shitstains who think it's OK to play their lovely music through the phone's speaker. No matter how "good" the music might be, it's still lovely coming through a phone's speaker. I've always wanted to carry around several sets of earbuds, so I can generously hand them to the poor fellow who can't afford them, obviously, because who would be that rude to play music in a public space if you had earbuds?

mekilljoydammit posted:

I really ought to cultivate that as a mental health solution - I'm on the much more American "eat your feelings" plan.

Trying to get out of that habit myself.

Liquid Communism posted:

I held my Dad's hand while he died, and it was the hardest and most necessary thing I've ever done. Cancer is a bitch. He went from the same beat up ex-trucker with a heart of gold he'd been as long as I've been alive to confined to a hospital bed in his living room in less than three months.

Cancer is indeed a bitch. Watched my father in law get killed by it. So many fucktards so much more deserving of death, and cancer takes out one of the nicest guys I have ever known.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

But, but, GOLDENEYE!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

But, but, GOLDENEYE!

WCWvsNWO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jamal posted:

Do you have a chromecast or anything like that really close to the router that could be creating interference?

The nearest thing is a cordless phone base station about .5 metres away, but it's not moved in 2 years and the problem has gotten terrible in the last week or two. Chromecast and tv are 4 metres away. Personally I think the router is dying but I'm not going to buy another to prove it. Tablets and phones that get intermittent signal are fine on other networks.

• Locked thread