Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Levantine posted:

I miss my bubble Titan from D1, but I love Striker this time around. Did the superman punch make it back in?
melee is tied to the sprint/shoulder charge and does area of effect damage.

It's a lot of fun with the Insurmountable Skullfort helmet (Kills with Arc melee abilities trigger health regeneration and restore melee energy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Never played Destiny 1 but I'm really liking this game so far! It feels really polished, PC performance is great, gunplay feels nice.

People mentioned that you want to avoid some of the Hunter subclass talents as they permanently change the character for the worse--is there any equivalent for warlock? I looked at the tier 4 talents on fire guy and voidwalker and I didn't see a reason not to take the talents but figured I'd check first.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

khy posted:

Cimber? Any updates on your ban status?

The fact that they're walking back some of the bans totally puts me a lot more at ease.

Since it looks like you missed it, they updated their news post from earlier :

Glad you were one of the ones who got back in.

Yeah, thanks. Glad i was let back in too, i was going to hate to nasty about demanding a refund. Now i can bitch like the rest of you over grenade cooldown.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Butter Hole posted:

Never played Destiny 1 but I'm really liking this game so far! It feels really polished, PC performance is great, gunplay feels nice.

People mentioned that you want to avoid some of the Hunter subclass talents as they permanently change the character for the worse--is there any equivalent for warlock? I looked at the tier 4 talents on fire guy and voidwalker and I didn't see a reason not to take the talents but figured I'd check first.

Void walker cataclysm is not great

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Y'all are about 2 weeks away from this with way fewer question marks, peace be with you.

Can you just shut the gently caress up already? All you do, all day is loving cry about how you don't like the game and 4v4 sucks and blah blah blah

Shut the gently caress up you thread making GBS threads idiot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zephro posted:

Just applied to this as Optimism (my SA username is taken on Battle.net, the bastards)

What? That’s not how battle.net usernames work. The numbers after the hashtag combine with the username to allow you to use whichever name you want and not worry about collisions. If you’re Optimism#7411 and there’s a Zephro#3223, you should still be able to use Zephro as a name because your actual username would end up Zephro#7411 in this example.

If you log into the battle.net website you should have one free username change to use to fix that.

E: username = battletag in the above.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 26, 2017

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Okay, so I'm new to Destiny as of two days ago, but I'm lvl 20 now and have completed the campaign (thanks to SineSineSINE and RobotWizard for letting me tag along last night) and I've cashed in all my coins and tokens and engrams and whatever. I have some legendaries I don't care about, some mods, shaders, and other materials.

My question is how to best use this stuff now. Now that I've got some good legendaries for my preferred loadout, should I trash all blues and feed my loadout? should I hoard stuff until even later?

ps - this game is fun as hell

e: i'm THRILLHO#11851, anybody feel free to add me.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Scott Forstall posted:

Okay, so I'm new to Destiny as of two days ago, but I'm lvl 20 now and have completed the campaign (thanks to SineSineSINE and RobotWizard for letting me tag along last night) and I've cashed in all my coins and tokens and engrams and whatever. I have some legendaries I don't care about, some mods, shaders, and other materials.

My question is how to best use this stuff now. Now that I've got some good legendaries for my preferred loadout, should I trash all blues and feed my loadout? should I hoard stuff until even later?

ps - this game is fun as hell

e: i'm THRILLHO#11851, anybody feel free to add me.

http://dulfy.net/2017/10/23/destiny-2-comprehensive-new-player-guide/

Be graced by the presence of Her Holiness, Dulfy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's no reason to hoard blues except for scout rifles. Your best bet is to find Exotics and Legendaries you like and then use higher powered blues of the same type to infuse them and power them up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And you don't even need to hoard scout rifles, you only need five to finish the quest.

After that all blues are an instant dismantle.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Fun game but it’s way too easy so far. Haven’t really managed to feel pressured by NPCs that much in fights.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

cougar cub posted:

Fun game but it’s way too easy so far. Haven’t really managed to feel pressured by NPCs that much in fights.

All the story mode stuff is piss easy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

cougar cub posted:

Levels 1-20 are the tutorial. The game start with the endgame.

Try night falls.
Try trials and get 9 victories.
Try the raid and beat the world record of 20 minutes to finish it.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for agreeing with me

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You sure got us man!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

cougar cub posted:

The nightfall and the raid are the difficult parts, especially on prestige modes. As another poster put it, you've only played the tutorial.
The raid is fiendishly difficult for a group that's never been before.

There's also an incoming PvP mode where you have to win seven games in a row, and with other super hardcore players trying to do the exact same thing it is no slouch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean, in a way I can see where he's coming from. The game feels like it needed a separate balance pass for PC or something because it's way easier with mouse aiming. I'm sure the raid will still trip people up because you have to worry about much more than shooting stuff though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do weapons just not recoil on the PC? SMG's are like goddamn laser beams and I have been using them as my main weapon during the campaign.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vintersorg posted:

Do weapons just not recoil on the PC? SMG's are like goddamn laser beams and I have been using them as my main weapon during the campaign.

Yeah it's totally different from console. I hated SMGs on PS4 but they are a god drat revelation on PC.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I've had hand cannons with some serious recoil, but it's not noticeable with most weapons that I've used.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Vintersorg posted:

I think they reduced the recoil to compensate for the lack of autoaim on PC.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

I think they reduced the recoil to compensate for the lack of autoaim on PC.

waiiiiiit a minute

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

This is awesome thank you.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Solumin posted:

I've had hand cannons with some serious recoil, but it's not noticeable with most weapons that I've used.

I've started using the crosshair overlay functionality built into my monitor and it really helps with handcannons since your sights take longer to reset than you can fire.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Vintersorg posted:

Can you just shut the gently caress up already? All you do, all day is loving cry about how you don't like the game and 4v4 sucks and blah blah blah

Shut the gently caress up you thread making GBS threads idiot.

Hey at least you say what you feel.

But dude I keep it civil and reasoned (aside from one dude Haha) because this is a thread about the game, not a thread to cheerlead the game. Anyway, there's an ignore button dude.

Destiny is fascinating to discuss because Bungie is just a master of putting out what 50% of the market thinks is a great product and then tripping all over it self trying to deal with the other 50%. If I was actually that Mad Online about the game being bad I would have paid to change my stupid red title, don't ya think?

All I will say for a while is it's pretty funny to see the pc thread following the same path as the console thread. People 6 hours into the campaign: "Hey this game is fun, I like how they streamlined X, weird that Y is a thing though, and huh this is annoying. Still fun though!!" This is nothing that hasn't happened before :allears:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
did a few hours in the EDZ without memory leak issues, on the fall creator's patch for windows 10 and latest nvidia drivers

wonder what's the cause for it. glad it isn't hitting me though!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i played for 2.5 hours at least last night without seeing memory leak, but it finally did kick in on nessus. 16GB RAM 4GB VRAM

this game is really fun and beautiful btw

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Republicans posted:

I've started using the crosshair overlay functionality built into my monitor and it really helps with handcannons since your sights take longer to reset than you can fire.

Oh poo poo I forgot my monitor even had this

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Single player cooldowns definitely feel too long compared to Destiny 1 but it's been a long rear end time since I didn't have gear that accelerated them. Hoping it gets a lot better because I've got a sense on when it's time to throw another grenade but it's always off with D2 so far, with the meter barely halfway full. They had a solution for the cooldown issue in PvP in Destiny 1 by flagging the perks as "minions of darkness" and that worked, I don't know why they can't keep doing that(maybe they do, I haven't looked at gear or anything).

Also, I hope they tweak Toggle ADS so that if you click it in the middle of a reload and other animation stuff like landing from a jump, sprinting, etc, it goes into ADS, like if you held it the whole time with Hold ADS. Feels like the one burr on a pretty great input system.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
so one of the guys in my core d2 group never played d1 because he refuses to play console shooters. i remember trying to convince him to buy it with stuff like "some shooters are better on console anyway since you can relax with a controller!"

but now i can finally admit i was wrong, turns out all shooters are better on pc, especially when it looks 100 times better

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the grenade cooldown.
The cooldowns on grenades and class abilities are so long that I often forget they even exist and just shoot the aliens, though admittedly I'm only level 8

edit: also when i do remember them, the long cool down makes me think "well I'd better hold on to these until I really need them" and then it turns out that I never really need them so they just kind of sit there.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
the slow nova bomb has it's detractors but I think people are just copying what they've heard others say without actually trying it because it's kinda cool. I'm not sure whether it's worth putting the point in or not yet but it's most likely not in the same tier of crap as the hunter stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Obsurveyor posted:

Single player cooldowns definitely feel too long compared to Destiny 1 but it's been a long rear end time since I didn't have gear that accelerated them. Hoping it gets a lot better because I've got a sense on when it's time to throw another grenade but it's always off with D2 so far, with the meter barely halfway full. They had a solution for the cooldown issue in PvP in Destiny 1 by flagging the perks as "minions of darkness" and that worked, I don't know why they can't keep doing that(maybe they do, I haven't looked at gear or anything).

Also, I hope they tweak Toggle ADS so that if you click it in the middle of a reload and other animation stuff like landing from a jump, sprinting, etc, it goes into ADS, like if you held it the whole time with Hold ADS. Feels like the one burr on a pretty great input system.

You'll eventually be able to lower grenade cool down from like 82 to 69 seconds, but there's no way to reduce Super Cooldown. It's designed to give each member of the team 1x super of the course of a match to try and create a "Super Economy" like in Overwatch. (you can get a second super in a match if you're truly annihilating the other team, too)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting targeted with the slow nova bomb in crucible sucks because you think you can outrun it but what you actually end up doing is towing it back to your teammates and getting everyone vaporized.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hot drat, learned of this site today and it kinda owns

https://destinysets.com

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Striker is the class to play if you want to throw a lot of 'nades. Two charges baseline and the melee ability recharges half of one. I'm throwing them out left and right and I don't even have a cooldow mod equipped.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mr. Unlucky posted:

the slow nova bomb has it's detractors but I think people are just copying what they've heard others say without actually trying it because it's kinda cool. I'm not sure whether it's worth putting the point in or not yet but it's most likely not in the same tier of crap as the hunter stuff.

Unless you really care about pvp on your voidwalker using the rest of that tree, then put the point in. Cataclysm is fun as hell in PvE, and hilarious to boot.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Hot drat, my big problem right now is that I'm not sure which class to play. They're all really fun. I'm enjoying being able to wade in like an rear end in a top hat with Striker and just melee a thousand dudes, the throwing knife and golden gun are pretty great for Hunter, and there's something to be said for Devour Warlock, too.

:v: Guess I just have to play them all.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

QuasiQuack posted:

Striker is the class to play if you want to throw a lot of 'nades. Two charges baseline and the melee ability recharges half of one. I'm throwing them out left and right and I don't even have a cooldow mod equipped.

That's still not a lot of grenades, and it's also missing the point. The grenade cooldown is so long that half the time I don't use it because I might need it later, and then turns out I don't need it later so it might as well not exist. It actively makes the game less fun, and "making pvp better" is a poo poo loving reason to nerf fun in pve, period. Even wow's finally learning that.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You'll eventually be able to lower grenade cool down from like 82 to 69 seconds, but there's no way to reduce Super Cooldown. It's designed to give each member of the team 1x super of the course of a match to try and create a "Super Economy" like in Overwatch. (you can get a second super in a match if you're truly annihilating the other team, too)

Super cooldown seems fine, especially with light orbs, but the grenade/melee/dodge cooldowns are definitely way too long. A dodge on a like 40 second cooldown or w/e it is is loving ridiculous. The nightfall this week really highlighted it, too, since it gave us reduced cooldowns so that grenades were like 10 second cooldowns.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
ahhahaha so consoles aren't even 85 fov, that's why the difference feels so shocking.

im still totally in my "getting over destiny on ps4" mode, it's like waking up from a very long, very bad dream

• Locked thread