Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

queeb posted:

should I play rogue? I loved 4 years ago and never played rogue, so it should feel fresh again, just not sure how good that game was.

Rogue is an excellent game, if shorter than one of the "mainline" titles. I had a blast with it just exploring everything.

I remember it came out the same year as Unity and I was really on the fence on which one to get, so I picked Rogue. I have no regrets about that decision, having later played Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
On the surface this seems like something I'd love. Ever since the first game I'd wanted one set further in the past so I could go explore ancient temples in an ancient landscape. Everything I've seen so far looks like this is exactly like every other Assassin's Creed game in that it's probably got a serviceable main story but is absolutely stacked full of dull filler quests and activities. If they really wanted to turn this into an RPG they should have had a more interesting protagonist and supporting cast. Every single NPC I've heard speak in the footage that is out sounds boring and wooden. Maybe if they released this 5 years ago I could muster some enthusiasm for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with AC:O's combat is that it apes Dark Souls in the most superficial manner. It lacks genuine weight and impact. It has more than the old style but at the end of the day it doesn't have the design sense to really sell that style of combat. It's more dangerous and threatening than AC combat has been ever which is a good thing but I never actually wanted to fight the way that I did in Dark Souls or even in Syndicate. The loot system doesn't help either since it makes skill feel a lot less important than numbers. It doesn't hit the mark between the skillful well-designed play of Souls or the simple button-mashing satisfaction of the older AC games. The biggest advantage I think it has is that it means I genuinely considered stealth instead of wondering why Eziobatman doens't just murder everyone with his invincible combat skills.

Well, that is a bright side, I guess. The only reason to use stealth in a lot of the previous AC games was just to get perfect sync objectives. Now it's because you might actually get owned if you try to take a direct combat approach.

It sounds like it might have a similar problem with that surface-level "we're Dark Souls now" thing that Lords of the Fallen did, but with the advantage that the shallow copy of Dark Souls combat isn't the entire focus of the game.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
My review will depend entirely on if walking along sand dunes on a camel leaves persistent, lonely hoof prints beneath the baking Egyptian sun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Well, that is a bright side, I guess. The only reason to use stealth in a lot of the previous AC games was just to get perfect sync objectives. Now it's because you might actually get owned if you try to take a direct combat approach.

It sounds like it might have a similar problem with that surface-level "we're Dark Souls now" thing that Lords of the Fallen did, but with the advantage that the shallow copy of Dark Souls combat isn't the entire focus of the game.

Yeah, for how negative I sound about it, I do consider it an advantage because an ongoing problem to me in Assassin's Creed was the fact that I never felt assassination was worth it compared to fighting except in very very rare instances. Here I actually had moments of "well, that poo poo ain't worth it, stealth time." That said loot can impact that a whole lot and there are times where just smashing your way through is totally viable especially with upgrades. (The Charge R2 Sword upgrade wrecks a lot of stuff for example because you can charge with your shield raised.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Getting reports of lousy optimization on the PC(surprise surprise)... :ohdear:

My i5 3350, 970 GTX, and 8gbs of ram won't be able to hack it anymore, rip.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The most important question about AC:O is: does it have bullshit mandatory tailing missions through wide-open spaces full of hostile guards? 'Cause one of those made me ragequit AC4, which I was up until then really enjoying.

If it's free of that kind of bullshit I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it eventually, because "an open-world action game set in ancient Egypt" is some kind of magic trigger phrase in my brain, apparently.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Walrus Pete posted:

The most important question about AC:O is: does it have bullshit mandatory tailing missions through wide-open spaces full of hostile guards? 'Cause one of those made me ragequit AC4, which I was up until then really enjoying.

If it's free of that kind of bullshit I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it eventually, because "an open-world action game set in ancient Egypt" is some kind of magic trigger phrase in my brain, apparently.

Ubi has been gradually understanding how absolutely terrible those missions are more and more. I think Syndicate had just a couple and they were much more forgiving than 'stay on this guy's rear end as he moves through a huge room full of guards...no not that close, game over idiot'. I'd be shocked if Origins had anything worse than that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How was Unity? It's the only AC game I've skipped entirely up to now because I never got around to buying it on sale after the bug thing was over with.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'd say Unity is the defacto inoffensive AC.
The story and characters are cookie cutter, the world is fun to explore, and the combat is serviceable.

I don't hate it, I don't love it.

It does nothing particularly great or particularly bad.(save for performance)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

How was Unity? It's the only AC game I've skipped entirely up to now because I never got around to buying it on sale after the bug thing was over with.

Unity is ok. It's super bland, I can't remember ANYONE beyond a one sentence description like 'cocky young assassin' or 'conflicted templar lady' but considering I can even remember guys from AC1 better than that it's a fairly damning statement of how bland it is.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Do you get to kill Pompey and Caeser in this game? Spoil tag it for me please. I made a twitter bet over this at E3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Walrus Pete posted:

Everything I have heard is it doesn’t at all.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Are games on Steam still unlockable early via VPN if you live in the wrong timezone?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cheesetriangles posted:

Do you get to kill Pompey and Caeser in this game? Spoil tag it for me please. I made a twitter bet over this at E3.

hey I also have a similar bet so please someone spoiler tag the big names you wind up personally murdering.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lollerich posted:

Are games on Steam still unlockable early via VPN if you live in the wrong timezone?

Looks like you can't with ACO unless you only have it on Uplay.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When this was first announced i thought it was the shittiest setting imaginable, but it looks really cool in the end.

Its currently installing on my ps4 so lets see how it turned out!

E: bayek is already a better Protagonist than the guy from ac 3 whose name i cant even remember. Also the game looks reaaally good.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 26, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Second crash in 15 fifteen minutes, I think that's it for now.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Does this game have any reason I would want to own it on the same platform as some friends? I have a bunch of friends who are probably getting this for PS4 and I'm the only one with a gaming PC, so the only reason I would go PS4 over the PC version would be for friend interaction stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You can only get the in game maps through microtransactions now? wtf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

you no longer find everything instantly when you sync, instead your eagle scouts for you. The maps just put literally everything that's a side event and all on your map. You still sync to get fast travel/map info/etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

It's the same as the last 2/3 games. You can pay real money to have them marked instantly or find them in-game. it's just pay cheats.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

Since Pompey was assassinated in Egypt I would say there's a likely chance that you kill him in the game

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's the same as the last 2/3 games. You can pay real money to have them marked instantly or find them in-game. it's just pay cheats.

Also, from what I've read, the game does give the player some Helix credits so just buy the maps with them instead of some game-breaking sword or immersion breaking costume.

Despite being "there" since Unity, Helix credits are pretty easy to ignore and it looks like its going to be that way this time around too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Since Pompey was assassinated in Egypt I would say there's a likely chance that you kill him in the game

My guess is you definitely see him die at least.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I can't play til after work, but the 2 minutes I saw of the intro was dope, Bayek going full :black101:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wanna knife Pompey's stupid round head,

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Deakul posted:

Looks like you can't with ACO unless you only have it on Uplay.
That's stupid and unreasonable. I'll guess I'll have to wait a day for the steam unlock.
I mean who the gently caress buys this on uplay instead of steam. I'd really like to know the numbers - I bet It'll be like five people and they are all ubisoft employees, because wtf would do that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I did by accident buying a digital key :downs:

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Lollerich posted:

That's stupid and unreasonable. I'll guess I'll have to wait a day for the steam unlock.
I mean who the gently caress buys this on uplay instead of steam. I'd really like to know the numbers - I bet It'll be like five people and they are all ubisoft employees, because wtf would do that.

Because GMG gives out Uplay codes for Ubisoft games.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pompey was killed on Ptolemy's orders and ingame you fight against Ptolemy so.

Of couse they can always go back to the cpnspiracy well.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I've gotten it to unlock early with a VPN, played it until I got to Alexandria. Don't know what famous people (if any) we get to kill, but potential targets include all the Ptolemids that died or were killed around this time:

Ptolemy XIII (shows up in the intro as an antagonist, albeit a puppet. Historically thought to have drowned while crossing the Nile, leaving room for an assassination mission. Possibly Pothinus as well).
Arsinoe IV (a trip to Ephesus and the temple of Artemis required).
Ptolemy XIV (perhaps too distasteful to kill a teenager).
Cleopatra VII and Mark Anthony (if Bayek allies himself with Octavian somehow, or their goals simply coincide).
Ptolemy XV Caesarion (executed by Octavian historically: Bayek could do the deed in-game).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea my 'we're for sure gonna kill them' list is currently

Ptolemy XIII and XV (like you said, one 'drowned in the nile' and the other was executed, both prime AC targets for 'ACTUALLY here's how it happened' stuff)

Pompey (civil war, already famously assassinated, perfect for one of the big act finale deaths. Plus his actual historical death was pretty bad rear end with his killer alleged to say a pretty sweet rear end line before doing it, could super easily just make it Bayek under his orders instead. I'm imagining this will be presented as a bad thing, though, since we seem to be on Cleo and Cesar's side here. Bayek could easily get manipulated to do it.)

Arsinoe IV (the other big player in the Ptolemy side of the war, dude was beat and humiliated before Cesar and all that, would add to that already historical stuff to toss in 'and got merc'd by one of the people he hosed over' on top)

Pothinus (This guy is literally the reason the civil war happened, he was the dude telling Ptolemy 'hey man, gently caress your sisterwife' and served as Ptolemy's regant. This is 100% gonna be the guy pulling the strings and to be honest I'm still not sure if it'll be 'this guy is the final boss' or 'this piece of poo poo slinks away to start the Masons' since his own death in history is kinda shady. Dude is a natural Big Bad just based on history)

I have a few possible kills too, depending how deep our dude gets in Roman/Egyptian politics.

Achillas and Lucius Septimius are the two big ones that stand out. IF the story goes with us killing Pompey and being tricked into helping Pothinus like I expect, these guys were the actual ones who did the deed in history. I could easily see the last act being something surrounding killing these two and then moving up to Pothinus himself if the endgame is around the siege of Alexandria, which WOULD make a pretty great set-piece to end the game with.

The other way things could go is we somehow wind up against Cleo. It wouldn't exactly be hard, she is Ptolemaic herself, I could easily see the story changing from 'we gotta get the rightful queen to the throne' to 'wait you're just another loving outsider trying to gently caress us over what are we doing here' with her being the 'real' enemy all along, fighting Mark Anthony would be pretty badass and then we could have a neat cutscene of releasing a snake into her room or something.

Killing Ptolemy XIV could be interesting if we go down the 'cleo is the real monster' route but yea even a 'non-violent' way like poisoning would be kinda pushing the AC semi-sanitized 'assassins are the good guys even if they do bad things' history by having the player kill a teenager. It COULD make an interesting parallel to some stuff I've seen about the story, though, not likely but could be interesting.

There's a lot of dudes to kill in this time of Egypt, but it depends how deep in the history we go.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 26, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Arsinoe was a woman, mind.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Woops, completely spaced that yea. Well gotta be an equal opportunity Assassin, every good AC game needs at least a couple scheming ladies to mix it up with the guys.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Lollerich posted:

You can get a 20% discount on Uplay, and digital retailers tend to sell Uplay keys. Besides, all Steam does is launch the game via Uplay anyway, so you don't really get anything besides the game's name in your list if you buy it from Steam.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Playing on PS4, literally the first fight is glitched. The guy and I both stand there forever, no buttons doing anything except X to change into 'free run' stance. Restarting the game and the console didn't help.

What a joke, gently caress me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Playing on PS4, literally the first fight is glitched. The guy and I both stand there forever, no buttons doing anything except X to change into 'free run' stance. Restarting the game and the console didn't help.

What a joke, gently caress me.

Did a day one patch drop yet? That could be the issue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

I'd say Unity is the defacto inoffensive AC.
The story and characters are cookie cutter, the world is fun to explore, and the combat is serviceable.

I don't hate it, I don't love it.

It does nothing particularly great or particularly bad.(save for performance)

the co-op missions were great when they worked, because you had 4 people running around and doing the same mission differently

sadly they didn't get them working well until after the negative press on launch kind of killed all enthusiasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Deakul posted:

Getting reports of lousy optimization on the PC(surprise surprise)... :ohdear:

Can confirm. Still fiddling with video settings but there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet so far (made more cumbersome by several settings requiring a game restart). i5 4690k / GTX 1080 / 16 GB RAM gets 60 FPS in the sticks, but anything resembling civilization drops it to a variable 40-50. Resolution hasn't had an impact. The benchmark program is indicating the CPU's doing good work but the video card's struggling.