Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/es_snipes/status/923555729738424325

I really don’t want Bernie rallying for this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

you can just post about topics you think are important without whining that the thread is talking about something you don't like

here's info for anyone who's interested: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/house-narrowly-passes-budget-moves-one-step-closer-to-tax-reform.html

I do. That’s why I went back to the Trump thread, even though VA Governor’s race ought to be here. It comes back to Hillary in here within hours. There are Star Trek threads with more living, evolving conversations than Hillary Chat.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I do. That’s why I went back to the Trump thread, even though VA Governor’s race ought to be here. It comes back to Hillary in here within hours. There are Star Trek threads with more living, evolving conversations than Hillary Chat.

maybe stop contributing to it if you want it to go away?

theCalamity posted:

i don't know much about deblasio aside from that time the cops protested him by not doing their jobs and it backfired

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
he also ran on a strong “using the subway to kill cats is bad” platform

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I was reading an article the other day about how it apparently is super important for him to crusade against powered bicycles used for deliveries (???) so who the gently caress knows, New York man amirite?

And the NYPD also continues to be garbage pricks, but that’s like the weather at this point.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.businessinsider.com/president-george-hw-bush-sexual-assault-actress-2017-10

quote:

A New York actress named Jordana Grolnick told Deadspin that Bush groped her during a photo op at a theater in Maine last year.

"We all circled around him and Barbara for a photo, and I was right next to him," Grolnick told Deadspin. "He reached his right hand around to my behind, and as we smiled for the photo he asked the group, 'Do you want to know who my favorite magician is?'

"As I felt his hand dig into my flesh, he said, 'David Cop-a-Feel!'"

Grolnick said that people in the room "laughed politely and out of discomfort" and that the former first lady Barbara Bush "said something along the lines of, 'He's going to get himself put into jail!'"

"I just thought, 'Whatever. He's a dirty old man,'" Grolnick told Deadspin.

lmao
What the gently caress, HW?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol it's almost Halloween and the House only just now passed the budget resolution and only by 4 votes? They had that many defections before a deal has even been inked?

I do not see this happening with only 8 weeks left in the year and even that punctuated by Thanksgiving holiday.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Here's a tip for centrists: if you don't want Hillary to continue being the subject of conversation, stop defending the indefensible poo poo she's done.

This entire conversation about Hillary would have been over on the first page if there had been agreement that voluntarily associating yourself with war criminals is a bad look for a presidential candidate. But since you folks literally could not stomach admitting that Clinton was anything less than perfect, you made this conversation into a multi-page nonsense derail about whether or not anti-imperialists are really just closet sexists.

Most people in this thread voted for Clinton. Obviously that's because we were able to see that her horribleness was lesser than that of Donald Trump. So there's literally no reason to punch left with the frequency and intensity that has been present in this thread, and yet you morons can't help yourself.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wow, right in front of his wife too...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

wow, right in front of his wife too...

I 100% guarantee you he verbally or emotionally abuses her at best, or at least did in the past. Dude is peak entitlement.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I 100% guarantee you he verbally or emotionally abuses her at best, or at least did in the past. Dude is peak entitlement.

yeah the stories about Bush Senior were pretty long on how you should not leave your secretary in the same room as him

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ze Pollack posted:

yeah the stories about Bush Senior were pretty long on how you should not leave your secretary in the same room as him

I imagine every president in the last 100 years is like him except maybe Carter and Obama if we’re lucky.

It’s loving awful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Although to be fair I used to work in a nursing home and that particular anecdote feels exceedingly tame for a 93 year old guy who's run out of fucks to give. At a certain point all filters and decency seem to go for just about everyone.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Chomskyan posted:

Here's a tip for centrists: if you don't want Hillary to continue being the subject of conversation, stop defending the indefensible poo poo she's done.

This entire conversation about Hillary would have been over on the first page if there had been agreement that voluntarily associating yourself with war criminals is a bad look for a presidential candidate. But since you folks literally could not stomach admitting that Clinton was anything less than perfect, you made this conversation into a multi-page nonsense derail about whether or not anti-imperialists are really just closet sexists.

Most people in this thread voted for Clinton. Obviously that's because we were able to see that her horribleness was lesser than that of Donald Trump. So there's literally no reason to punch left with the frequency and intensity that has been present in this thread, and yet you morons can't help yourself.

Hi. Labor activist. There’s an election in Virginia in twelve days. Let’s talk about it instead, since it’s happening now.

Northam is up marginally, though not comfortably, against Ed Gillespie. It’s gonna come down to Northern VA turnout, like most statewide elections do. There’s a variety of crazy House of Delegates races, like the trans woman vs the man who introduced a bathroom bill (Danica Roem vs Bob Marshall), a Peruvian immigrant card carrying AFSCME member vs an NRA cardboard cutout (Elizabeth Guzman vs Scott Lingamfelter) and my personal favorite, a man who introduces working class legislation vs an Indian immigrant who introduced Trump at the RNC, a race that’s had almost $1,000,000 poured into it (John Bell vs Subba Kolla).

Virginia is the first real, competitive fight since the world ended, and the narrative for people who only pay nominal attention will be dictated by it to a degree. It either becomes “Trump Rising” or “wave begins to crest.”

If you can help out in any way, I can direct your energy appropriately. If you just wanna throw :10bux: at a candidate, I’ll find you one that aligns with you. If you have an hour to make phone calls, I can get you hooked into a virtual phone bank so you can gin up votes from your greasy computer chair. If you live in the state, i can direct you to a canvassing group that provides food and makes you feel appreciated.

Bitching on the internet is easy, unhelpful, and honestly a bit toxic if it’s all you do. But getting involved? That’s the good stuff. You might even make a friend. Friends are vital in 2017 y’all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DrNutt posted:

Although to be fair I used to work in a nursing home and that particular anecdote feels exceedingly tame for a 93 year old guy who's run out of fucks to give. At a certain point all filters and decency seem to go for just about everyone.

I mean a) that’s not an excuse, and b) he was demonstrably like that before he was old.

@ybf I greatly enjoy your updates even if I have not much to add. Keep at it! :yayclod:

Edit: The Shock Doctrine preys on Puerto Rico as we speak.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/923576061442641920

I also forgot a bullshit RWM meme took down an NGO while democrats controlled Congress.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theCalamity posted:

Purge the impure :getin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Democrazy posted:

When someone brings up sexism and racism in leftism and your first response is to deflect, I think you should take stock of just how aware you are being of your own role in the white supremacist patriarchy.

Considering some of the words that have been used by people who want to call themselves leftists about women and people of color, it would do us all good to be more aware.

You are racist. Now if you respond to me in a way that isn't deferential, it merely means you are deflecting criticism, and thus implicitly admitting guilt.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

steinrokkan posted:

You are racist. Now if you respond to me in a way that isn't deferential, it merely means you are deflecting criticism, and thus implicitly admitting guilt.

I am racist. I have racist tendencies that I work very hard to control, and when I get called out I try my best to make amends. I am not immune to white supremacy and racism, nor is anyone else in society.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Did tiny the brontosaur really have the balls to cry sexism over criticizing HRC's hawkishness? Jesus

To be fair, I think the reason was more related to people choosing to criticize Clinton during a time when she isn't even politically active, rather than a defense of Clinton's actions (though I guess that doesn't really explain trying to defend the Kissinger stuff on the basis of claiming it's "blaming a woman for the actions of a man").

There's a legitimate point about people disproportionately focusing on Clinton relative to other politicians despite the election being over and her being unlikely to run again, though I would attribute that more to "people commenting more on public figures who frequently show up in the media" than sexism (though I guess you could attribute the "showing up more in the media" itself at least partially to sexism, and there's no doubt that people tend to be more critical of a woman relative to a man for the same sort of actions, though it's difficult to prove this on an individual basis).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Javes posted:

I also forgot a bullshit RWM meme took down an NGO while democrats controlled Congress.

Acorn is a cautionary tale in why we need to hold dems to a higher standard

Electing a bunch of dems doesn't help much if they're republican yes men

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DrNutt posted:

counterpoint: sexism.....is bad?!?!!!!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah Dems didn't kill ACORN because Dems are cowards, Dems killed ACORN because they criticized fraudulent bankers.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Javes posted:

Woof. Nothing really defensible about defunding ACORN, although, as a counter factual, Democrats actually passed healthcare reform, along with economic stimulus bill, and a banking reform bill.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Javes posted:

This is part of why it's so aggravating for people on the left to hear why the Democrats "need" to "compromise." Nobody needed to buckle to the Republicans on this, and it wasn't compromise. And we've seen poo poo like this over and over and over again over the past couple decades.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Dems didn't kill ACORN because Dems are cowards, Dems killed ACORN because they criticized fraudulent bankers.

I'm a little dubious of this. It was probably the case for some of them, but the reality is, a lot of Democratic legislators are driven by loss-aversion.

e: I'm a big believer in Hanlon's Razor, though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 26, 2017

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Virginia is the first real, competitive fight since the world ended, and the narrative for people who only pay nominal attention will be dictated by it to a degree. It either becomes “Trump Rising” or “wave begins to crest.”
I'm not even American, but I'm still nervous about these elections exactly because of this. I wish you all the best.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Hi. Labor activist. There’s an election in Virginia in twelve days. Let’s talk about it instead, since it’s happening now.

Northam is up marginally, though not comfortably, against Ed Gillespie. It’s gonna come down to Northern VA turnout, like most statewide elections do. There’s a variety of crazy House of Delegates races, like the trans woman vs the man who introduced a bathroom bill (Danica Roem vs Bob Marshall), a Peruvian immigrant card carrying AFSCME member vs an NRA cardboard cutout (Elizabeth Guzman vs Scott Lingamfelter) and my personal favorite, a man who introduces working class legislation vs an Indian immigrant who introduced Trump at the RNC, a race that’s had almost $1,000,000 poured into it (John Bell vs Subba Kolla).

If you can help out in any way, I can direct your energy appropriately. If you just wanna throw :10bux: at a candidate, I’ll find you one that aligns with you. If you have an hour to make phone calls, I can get you hooked into a virtual phone bank so you can gin up votes from your greasy computer chair. If you live in the state, i can direct you to a canvassing group that provides food and makes you feel appreciated.

Bitching on the internet is easy, unhelpful, and honestly a bit toxic if it’s all you do. But getting involved? That’s the good stuff. You might even make a friend. Friends are vital in 2017 y’all.

I think you missed my point and are being pretty condescending, but if you want to post some links about the organizations you've mentioned feel free. Literally nobody is stopping you from doing something productive in this thread. In fact, I encourage you to do so

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if trump thread posters want uspol to be different, they should probably exit their safe space and post in uspol

Instead they choose to passive aggressively whine about the thread and then run back off to the trump thread to whine about mean leftists or something

Pretty pathetic tbh

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

if trump thread posters want uspol to be different, they should probably exit their safe space and post in uspol

Instead they choose to passive aggressively whine about the thread and then run back off to the trump thread to whine about mean leftists or something

Pretty pathetic tbh

Be nicer to them, their minds were shattered

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TBH, this belongs in the thunderdome

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I assume Bush Sr is hella senile right now

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I assume Bush Sr is hella senile right now

He's always been like this

He just can't control his impulses as well

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

I think you missed my point and are being pretty condescending, but if you want to post some links about the organizations you've mentioned feel free. Literally nobody is stopping you from doing something productive in this thread. In fact, I encourage you to do so

Yeah, posts along the lines of "heh if you're posting about politics on the internet, clearly you're a lazy do-nothing" are really obnoxious, especially since they're universally aimed at the left. I don't think I've ever seen someone on the left attack liberals in this same way. I think it's part of a broader strategy to try and slander the left as a bunch of immature whiny children (contrasted with the calm, reasonable liberal who Knows How To Get Things Done).

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
This thread is a prime example of why we're going to get crushed again in 2018 and likely 2020. The far leftists among us loving despise "Liberals" even more than centrists, who they talk more poo poo about than the right. Existential threat from the far right in full power over all government? Nah, gently caress it, let's rehash the primaries and poo poo on Obama or Clinton some more. "Allies" are only allies if they agree with us on everything.

gently caress it, let's drink and watch Gillespie win VA while the world burns.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, posts along the lines of "heh if you're posting about politics on the internet, clearly you're a lazy do-nothing" are really obnoxious, especially since they're universally aimed at the left. I don't think I've ever seen someone on the left attack liberals in this same way. I think it's part of a broader strategy to try and slander the left as a bunch of immature whiny children (contrasted with the calm, reasonable liberal who Knows How To Get Things Done).

and now for another episode of "my own experience is good enough for everyone..."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Talmonis posted:

This thread is a prime example of why we're going to get crushed again in 2018 and likely 2020. The far leftists among us loving despise "Liberals" even more than centrists, who they talk more poo poo about than the right. Existential threat from the far right in full power over all government? Nah, gently caress it, let's rehash the primaries and poo poo on Obama or Clinton some more. "Allies" are only allies if they agree with us on everything.

Step one is realizing the Dems have a very large opportunity for improvement

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/VICE/status/923591809846140929

Justice is blind, but she does have scales...

Seriously,what the gently caress? Is there a thread for this Handmaiden's Tale bullshit?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Talmonis posted:

"Allies" are only allies if they agree with us on everything.

I summarized your post for you :)

dunno why you feel that way, but it's not particularly healthy

deoju posted:

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/923591809846140929

Justice is blind, but she does have scales...

Seriously,what the gently caress? Is there a thread for this Handmaiden's Tale bullshit?

The cops are bad thread in cspam seems to more specifically fit this if that's what you're asking, but it certainly fits here I think

In any case, wtf

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Talmonis posted:

leftists and trump have a great deal in common

- oversized children
- hate democrats
- have a Tweet for a brain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ytlaya posted:

There's a legitimate point about people disproportionately focusing on Clinton relative to other politicians [...] though it's difficult to prove this on an individual basis).
Apologies for the hatchet job, but I feel there's a contradiction here. It's 100% unambiguously true that, statistically speaking, the conversation about Clinton is biased by sexism, that's just unavoidable in human society as it currently exists. I don't think that point has much legitimacy on a forum with, at this moment, 677 active users. I don't see what use it is to ask everyone to stop the conversation to acknowledge that everyone is somewhat sexist, unless you're also arguing that someone, individually, is wrong or behaving unreasonably.

• Locked thread