Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'll give them some credit for the loot boxes not costing real money (yet) and only being for the online mode that sucks anyway. It's not a lot but as I understand it your CAWs in MyCareer or Universe have access to all the silly outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'll give them some credit for the loot boxes not costing real money (yet) and only being for the online mode that sucks anyway. It's not a lot but as I understand it your CAWs in MyCareer or Universe have access to all the silly outfits.

Nope, offline career mode requires loot boxes for costumes and even worse, 90% of the moves

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nope, offline career mode requires loot boxes for costumes and even worse, 90% of the moves

He means regular CAWs don't need it. Non-career mode stuff.

Edit: or not.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 24, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's for MyCareer too? Then gently caress them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh it's for MyCareer too? Then gently caress them.

Yeah that's more reason not to touch that awful mode and stick to Universe Mode.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that's more reason not to touch that awful mode and stick to Universe Mode.

they are completely different styles of game though

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

they are completely different styles of game though

Well if Career was actually worth playing and not an awful slog every year I'd be more inclined to actually play it.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Career mode is great. Objective: Win a promo.

For ten weeks straight.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Career mode is great. Objective: Win a promo.

For ten weeks straight.

To be fair the promoes are probably the most realistic part of the WWE experience

bland, tepid, self-congratulatory, and wholly generic

my favorite career mode moment was when TJP was like "Hey, JACK GALLAGHER has been talking smack about you, you should go out and cut a promo on him."

I go out to cut a promo and go "I hear CHRIS JERICHO is talking bad about me" Jericho comes out and we have a promo battle

I go backstage, and MOJO RAWLEY is there saying "Wow, I didn't think NOAM DAR would actually respond to your promo like that!"

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2017

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So is Universe mode decent this year? Things like feuds that don't involve fighting the same guy every single week, an increased number of angles, maybe some backstage muggings, and building up to a ppv? Basically is it working like they "said" it was supposed to from the very first year?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dishwasher posted:

So is Universe mode decent this year? Things like feuds that don't involve fighting the same guy every single week, an increased number of angles, maybe some backstage muggings, and building up to a ppv? Basically is it working like they "said" it was supposed to from the very first year?

Seconding this.

Hopefully it doesn't crash with custom shows like it was prone to doing last game.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

joylessdivision posted:

Seconding this.

Hopefully it doesn't crash with custom shows like it was prone to doing last game.

Apparently it just crashes all the time. People are complaining about custom arenas crashing UM. Promos crashing UM.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Davros1 posted:

Apparently it just crashes all the time. People are complaining about custom arenas crashing UM. Promos crashing UM.

Back to Fire Pro, I suppose. Someone posted a universe mode program on Fire Pro Arena a few years back where you enter in the guys in your fed, and it'll generate custom shows, stipulations, and basic storyline situations to follow. It's a shame (not really, FPWorld is loving dope) because I'm desperate every year to give THQ/now 2K money and haven't had the desire for a long time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Some kind of booking mode for FPW is in the works. But it's hard to say when because it's such a small operation.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I see my plan to wait until it's on super sale is working. It might be patched into a playable form by then.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What is even the point of loot boxes if they don't cost money? Like, they were created to prey on people's gambling addictions. It's not like the public was clamouring for them

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

What is even the point of loot boxes if they don't cost money? Like, they were created to prey on people's gambling addictions. It's not like the public was clamouring for them

Are they planning on selling an Accelerator or something that unlocked everything? That's the only explanation that makes sense.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are they planning on selling an Accelerator or something that unlocked everything? That's the only explanation that makes sense.

I thought the accelerator was part of the season pass/DLC in general but I wouldn't put it past them to make it have no effect on loot box poo poo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

I thought the accelerator was part of the season pass/DLC in general but I wouldn't put it past them to make it have no effect on loot box poo poo

It lets you unlock all the legends and belts/arenas without spending lootbox funbux, and gives you 50k points to spend on either upping your dude's stats or buying boxes.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It lets you unlock all the legends and belts/arenas without spending lootbox funbux, and gives you 50k points to spend on either upping your dude's stats or buying boxes.

Hahahahahahaha of course it does.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I don't have the game, but from what I've been reading, I *think* loot crates are only in the My Career/Road to Glory modes, and contain poo poo that you already have available to you in the CAW mode.

Example: You want to create a Arn Anderson CAW. In CAW, you can with his moves and everything. But if you want to make Arn your career mode character, you might not be able to have the spine buster or gordbuster available to you, which need to be unlocked via loot crate.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Man, it's a shame the WWE games are so terrible nowadays and 2K18 seems like it just might be the worst 2K one yet. :saddowns: I'd like a good wrestling game I haven't already played to death.

I guess there's Fire Pro World, but to be honest I've never been a massive fan of that series. I certainly appreciate what it does, but personally I've always had more fun playing the AKI N64 releases and some of the PS2-era Smackdown games, mainly HCTP and SVR 2006.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 26, 2017

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's like the 2K heard of loot boxes making lots of money, skipped learning anything about them, and told the devs to put in those loot boxes that the kids love!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

triplexpac posted:

It's like the 2K heard of loot boxes making lots of money, skipped learning anything about them, and told the devs to put in those loot boxes that the kids love!!

For the game, the loot crates only cost VC. Can't wait til next year when they implement real money.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

In NBA 2k18 the loot boxes do cost money, so that isn't it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bad gam

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I figure the loot boxes are in now so they can figure out how best to monetize them next year

It's a marketing study

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I figure the loot boxes are in now so they can figure out how best to monetize them next year

It's a marketing study

This is probably the most likely reason. I believe NBA 2K17 had card packs or something that didn't cost actual money but I could've sworn they were selling virtual currency cards for real money at the time as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's also concerning because even stuff like leveling up is tied into the wwe currency.

Leveling up requires both experience and a thousand wwe coins. I know this is so next year they can monetize levelling

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sadly if that happens it won't stop people from buying it, at least not in enough numbers to matter. And with a lack of big-name studio competition in terms of wrestling games, there's no incentive for 2K to do better. Same as how they got away with the micro-transactions in NBA 2K18.

Fire Pro Wrestling World is great but it doesn't exist in the same exact niche as WWE2K, and any game trying to fill that specific niche right now isn't all that great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clearly Chikara will save us

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

MyCareer mode is a hot steamy pile of poo poo. For gently caress sake, you get three slots to make a wrestler but the things you unlock for one wrestler doesn't carry over to other two. It's the worst hellish grind possible considering you get jack poo poo for VC as rewards.

Universe Mode using the WCCW arena and the Indie Arena is p good though.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Clearly Chikara will save us

Whatever happened to their game anyway? I mean it looked like it might be fun if it ever came out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

joylessdivision posted:

Whatever happened to their game anyway? I mean it looked like it might be fun if it ever came out.

Still being worked on, but it has an incredibly small dev team. Hell, it might just be one guy for all I know. They still send updates to backers and last I heard they at least got the basic one-on-one system finished up.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gavok posted:

Still being worked on, but it has an incredibly small dev team. Hell, it might just be one guy for all I know. They still send updates to backers and last I heard they at least got the basic one-on-one system finished up.

Nice to see it didn't disappear into the aether like so many other Kickstarter wrestling games.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

I do believe that it is literally one dude

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Apples and oranges, but I hope it's the same person who made all the puzzle games for the Chikarmy club members back in the day. Those were genuinely fun and well put-together.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do believe that it is literally one dude

DMickie?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
New FPWR Update

quote:

Version 0.9011 was published today.
Please refer to the patch notes below.
We have been watching the forums and are working to address the issues reported.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to make improvements through Early Access.

Please post patch-related comments to
this thread so that we may better track your feedback.

OFFLINE MODE
When opening the pulldown menu, cursor now defaults to the currently selected item.
[Settings] > [Elimination] now selectable by default regardless of number of participants.
Added option: [Settings] [Entrance Style]

EDIT MODE
Keyboard controls: Can now edit CPU logic percentages with number keys and keyboard.
Ring Edit: Custom ring texture option added.
:siren: :siren:*CUSTOM RING TEXTURES CAN BE UPLOADED TO WORKSHOP :siren: :siren:

MATCHES
Fixed bug that prevented wrestler from climbing a corner post if the round ended with a wrestler on that post.
Strike Exchange now only occurs inside the ring.
Increased time a standing wrestler stays down after being hit by flying moves. (Jump from Post/Slingshot from Apron to Inside of Ring.)
S-1 Rules Match: Small grapple moves that knock down an opponent no longer factor towards knockdown count.
Second/partner will now distract referee when active wrestler uses illegal move/weapons.
If a CPU wrestler loses due to a pin/submission, they will no longer break out after the gong.
Fixed bug where CPU wrestler would ignore an opponent hit by a CRITICAL move that doesn’t knock them onto the mat.
In a tag team match, a wrestler returning to their corner after a tag will no longer be targeted.
Adjusted frequency of bleeding.
*Now less likely during a Strike Exchange and more likely when using illegal moves.

RING ENTRANCE
Multiple wrestlers may now enter ring together.
*Adjust settings from: [Settings] > [Entrance Style]
You can now move human controlled wrestlers during entrances.
When entering the ring, wrestlers now first climb onto the apron.
When Red Corner wrestler/s enter the ring, the Blue Corner wrestler/s now wait outside the ring.

poo poo I just saw about ring edits while formatting this post! NICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

And loss is already a mat on the workshop.