Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phlegmish posted:

Do you mean anachronism? Those old episodes with religious overtones (going to hell for stealing cable, Bart selling his soul) were weird and uncomfortable to European audiences, but they were still better than what we have now.

I dunno, although in retrospect some the episodes were pretty weird (especially Homer the heretic where Lisa's line 'Why are dedicating your life to Blasphemy?' seems incredibly out of character for her) growing up in Ireland everyone went to church every week and religious events were super important. From that perspective the Simpsons seemed relatable and sometimes a bit edgy, like that scene where everyone gets back from church and are super ecstatic, 'the longest possible time before more church', that was good.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

No joke, this is why Hayao Miyazaki hates anime. He straight up said it’s made by shut ins who don’t actually watch or interact with humans and modern animation is stiff and lifeless because of it

Again this is not quite what's happening. If you look at the history of animation what's often the case is that animators get locked into the main style of the time to such an extent that breaking out of that style or applying real artistic talent starts to get very difficult. Back in the 20s and 30s the famous 'rubber-hose' animation style in america was absolutely entrenched to the exclusion of everything else and people's success in the industry tended to be closely tied to their ability to recreate the styles of particular powerful gatekeepers in the industry who had a lot of contempt for other styles of animation and even for genuine artistic talent. Staying rigorously close to the guidelines and styles of the time was most highly valued which severely limited animation's potential until companies like Disney started to break away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it seems weird because Lisa is the only one with character development

Lisa became corrupted by Buddhism and Vegetarianism and those traits remained

everyone else is reset at the end of each episode

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard Lisa becoming a vegetarian was a condition for Paul and Lynda McCartney to guest star.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah Paul McCartney was the worst guest star because it was the beginning of "oh look there's a random celeb in Springfield for no reason"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Paul McCartney is a little bitchboi about vegetarianism

he never gave Weird Al Yankovic his blessing to release the parody of "Live and Let Die" called "Chicken Pot Pie" because he said that as a vegetarian he can't condone eating chicken

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

At the time she was still the smart one who would interject with the cutting and relevant commentary. I got the impression the blasphemy line was meant to be Homer being confronted with a harsh truth, except it makes her sound like an Evangelical weirdo compared to the liberal smarty pants she is the rest of the time? She doesn't seem very conflicted over religion until the Buddhism episode almost a decade later, It's weird.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

khwarezm posted:

At the time she was still the smart one who would interject with the cutting and relevant commentary. I got the impression the blasphemy line was meant to be Homer being confronted with a harsh truth, except it makes her sound like an Evangelical weirdo compared to the liberal smarty pants she is the rest of the time? She doesn't seem very conflicted over religion until the Buddhism episode almost a decade later, It's weird.

I'm a liberal Smarty Pants, and I wasted way too much time in my youth trying to be Christian

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm rewatching the first few seasons and am noticing that celeb cameos were there for a joke - like Larry King reading the Bible on tape. They aren't the plot but an additive to it.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

he never gave Weird Al Yankovic his blessing to release the parody of "Live and Let Die" called "Chicken Pot Pie" because he said that as a vegetarian he can't condone eating chicken

And Al is a vegetarian too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Irradiation posted:

Isn't that a more recent thing? Long after McCartney's relevance, anyway?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Houle posted:

I'm rewatching the first few seasons and am noticing that celeb cameos were there for a joke - like Larry King reading the Bible on tape. They aren't the plot but an additive to it.

And half the time they are just playing some bit character, not themselves.

Jeff Goldblum was Troy McClure's agent who says like 5 lines the whole episode.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Isn't that a more recent thing? Long after McCartney's relevance, anyway?

He's been since 92, I dont know when he asked about Live and Let Die though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard Lisa becoming a vegetarian was a condition for Paul and Lynda McCartney to guest star.

lmao really

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

Weird Al became a vegetarian for the only logical reason: thermodynamics

not some hippie poo poo about animal rights

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

lmao really

Yes, they thought it would make vegetarianism look like a fad if it was dropped at the end of the episode.

I wonder if Richard Gere demanded she remain Buddhist.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Irradiation posted:

He's been since 92, I dont know when he asked about Live and Let Die though.

I'm old and all is dust.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yes, they thought it would make vegetarianism look like a fad if it was dropped at the end of the episode.

I wonder if Richard Gere demanded she remain Buddhist.

Are Lenny and Carl still Buddhist?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ein cooler Typ posted:

drat him for denying the world such art

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
he will do it sometimes live at concert but not an album version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ-VHKQ0bsY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

well why not posted:

I miss how 'bouncy' everything used to be. Look at marge's hair in that comparison. It windmills around like it's another entity. The modern version just looks like a stiff hat.

it was animated both figuratively and literally!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Houle posted:

I think this is when the Simpsons declined. Guest stars were just cameos. They turned into the basis for the plot because it allowed the writers to interject an outside influence to drive things

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ashmole posted:

I think this is when the Simpsons declined. Guest stars were just cameos. They turned into the basis for the plot because it allowed the writers to interject an outside influence to drive things

I remember enjoying Beyond Blunderdome despite being weirdly focused on Mel Gibson, it was the portent of the ruin to come.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Ashmole posted:

Yeah, the tenth season episode with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger as themselves was meant, I guess, to ham-handedly comment on celebrity culture, but Lord, did it suck.

Although it did give us the exchange:

Kim Basinger: Can you drive?
Ron Howard: Not well. But I'll give it a shot.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I still think "Oregano- What the hell?" is the best delivered line in the entire series

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I still think "Oregano- What the hell?" is the best delivered line in the entire series

Eight spices?!?!? Some of these must be duplicates...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Killswitch posted:

Eight spices?!?!? Some of these must be duplicates...

There's a season one or two episode where she's using a bunch of different spices in the kitchen and it's retroactively jarring to watch it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That vid is legit depressing but it absolutely nails it

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The secret ingredient is salt!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Not a Children posted:

It seriously is

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zeniel posted:

The secret ingredient is salt!
Needs more dog.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCeX0oN4uw

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrC1aMdfa14

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rats?! I'm outraged, you promised me dog or higher!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Barney got sober

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

THE BAR posted:

Rats?! I'm outraged, you promised me dog or higher!

I don't get it. Everyone loves rats, but they won't drink their milk?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Barney started drinking again

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't get it. Everyone loves rats, but they won't drink their milk?

But I drink plenty of...malk?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

brugroffil posted:

There's a season one or two episode where she's using a bunch of different spices in the kitchen and it's retroactively jarring to watch it.

In an episode in season 20 or so, The one with a crazy house sitter who was Otto's ex. Marge exclaims that she is excited at the prospect of finally finding a use for Rosemary. In season 2, her patented extra special Thursday Porkchops use Rosemary. It's the Itchy and Scratchy censorship episode. Granted I only know this since I am in the middle of rewatching all the episodes.

Incidentally I didn't realize how dark, satirical, cynical, and sad season two was. The laughs felt like a relief from all the sad emotions or even thrown in stealthily without the characters missing a beat. Like grandpa Simpson in his ignorance but legitimate sadness "the doctors may have said she died of a burst vetrical, but I know she really died of a broken heart".

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Houle posted:

In an episode in season 20 or so, The one with a crazy house sitter who was Otto's ex. Marge exclaims that she is excited at the prospect of finally finding a use for Rosemary. In season 2, her patented extra special Thursday Porkchops use Rosemary. It's the Itchy and Scratchy censorship episode. Granted I only know this since I am in the middle of rewatching all the episodes.

in blood feud marge knows that bart is allergic to 'butterscotch and imitation butterscotch' but in a milhouse divided she says she's going to make him butterscotch chicken. marge has munchausen by proxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Boy I hope somebody got fired for those blunders