Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Quick question: what is the purpose of "STATE HIGHWAY ENDS" signs? I see them all the time on Route 114 in MA at places where the highway definitely doesn't end. Do these signs just indicate that you're driving on local roads for a short stretch?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is MA-114 West going through the center of Middleton: https://goo.gl/maps/REMrTRNvic62

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah that's just indicating where you can change who to blame if something's hosed up from the State to whatever local authority entirely.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Quick question: what is the purpose of "STATE HIGHWAY ENDS" signs? I see them all the time on Route 114 in MA at places where the highway definitely doesn't end. Do these signs just indicate that you're driving on local roads for a short stretch?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is MA-114 West going through the center of Middleton: https://goo.gl/maps/REMrTRNvic62

In Mass roads are maintained either by the city/town or the state. There's no county maintenance in Mass. and the state is legally required to post when they are maintaining a road.

Note that there are state maintained roads that do not have posted numbers. There are also town maintained segments of state and US numbered highways, so just because a segment of road is numbered MA 9 or 110 doesn't mean it's actually a state maintained highway.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

I am back

And I am irate, I said NO PICKLES OR ONIONS

This happens DAILY. I use that ramp once a day. Just not merging. You will see people behind them merging. It is very confusing. Moving on, I got insecure about it. Like really, is it me? Who is wrong here? I don't think it's me. It has been before, but not now

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I am back

And I am irate, I said NO PICKLES OR ONIONS

This happens DAILY. I use that ramp once a day. Just not merging. You will see people behind them merging. It is very confusing. Moving on, I got insecure about it. Like really, is it me? Who is wrong here? I don't think it's me. It has been before, but not now
Drive to the end of the ramp and merge. Merging early slows down traffic and makes it less safe for everyone.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I just want to inform everyone in this dead thread of the existence of a magical facebook group, "New Urbanist Memes For Transit-Oriented Teens".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shame on an IGA posted:

I just want to inform everyone in this dead thread of the existence of a magical facebook group, "New Urbanist Memes For Transit-Oriented Teens".

this is my jam

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A good meme

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

(lol)

GWBBQ posted:

Drive to the end of the ramp and merge. Merging early slows down traffic and makes it less safe for everyone.

Someone doesn't drive around here!

The problem is you can't. People don't let you in. So what you get is parking at the end of the ramp and then slowly nosing into traffic basically stopping traffic at each ramp.

This has angered me more than once, they're just pussying out of a moving merge and forcing everyone down to 20-30 mph while they merge at THE. END. of the ramp, like LITERALLY they do not begin a merge until in a 1-car-parking-spot, at which point their merge looks more like pulling out of a driveway.

I maintain that merging should begin at first opportunity at the break in the line; and that if you are not merging into an open space without a painted line you're the problem.

I think the definition "the ramp" needs to be clarified, I think people are not on the same page.

When engineers said "the end of the ramp" I think they meant where the line breaks, considering to them the road all the way back to a light is "the on ramp" (because it is) and the people they're talking about were "cutting" by merging at speed in a situation where people are merging reliably at speed, but doing it over the double lines before the break at the end of the ramp, which is all kinds of fucky and I did see occasionally in Alabams

Edit: I saw that like every other day in Kansas. We had a lot of room there. Jogging my memory of driving around as a teenager.

I reaaaaly think it's a semantics thing and the lines would be painted differently otherwise. They get repainted all the time.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 11, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Long shot but is anyone attending OTEC this year? They were some really good seminars today and I'm hoping for more of that tomorrow and I've spent the last 2 nights drinking a poo poo load of free beer thanks to consultants buying out all the bars in Columbus.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Well goons I did this. I did the thing I was whining about not twelve hours ago.

I thought I needed to leave the big space for the bus. I saw someone accelerate, closing the gap even though the bus was on visible on the lead-in; and because they didn't let the bus in it was all fucky

I'm hitler, they're a outlaws, and if I ever call someone a hypocrite again on this forum please incinerate me

I do so know how we all love some self deprecation. :downs::banjo::angel:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/10/17/u-s-dot-gets-swept-up-in-trumps-climate-denial-binge/
lol

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How many gas lines is it normal to hit when repaving a road? My town is up to two so far... The first one was within 10 ft of starting the road.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

devicenull posted:

How many gas lines is it normal to hit when repaving a road? My town is up to two so far... The first one was within 10 ft of starting the road.

Uh are they full reconstruction? Because for a replace/resurfacing you should never be going more than a couple of inches. If they’re doing a full recon and the city did a poo poo job of establishing a hey bore your gas lines at least 40 inches or in case we need to replace the road when those utilities first went in then maybe? The utilities should still be getting marked and at the very least potholed a few times to verify depth. Unless they’re hitting service connections and even then you really should t unless the utilities did an absolute poo poo job of not going deep enough.

Our current reconstruction didn’t hit any lines but we had to get the gas company to come and redo a big chunk of their gas mine because it wasn’t deep enough and our contractor would have hit it

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uh are they full reconstruction? Because for a replace/resurfacing you should never be going more than a couple of inches. If they’re doing a full recon and the city did a poo poo job of establishing a hey bore your gas lines at least 40 inches or in case we need to replace the road when those utilities first went in then maybe? The utilities should still be getting marked and at the very least potholed a few times to verify depth. Unless they’re hitting service connections and even then you really should t unless the utilities did an absolute poo poo job of not going deep enough.

Our current reconstruction didn’t hit any lines but we had to get the gas company to come and redo a big chunk of their gas mine because it wasn’t deep enough and our contractor would have hit it

Full reconstruction. I talked to one of the gas company guys, apparently the contractor started digging up the road without getting the gas lines marked.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Justifiable homicide right there

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

devicenull posted:

Full reconstruction. I talked to one of the gas company guys, apparently the contractor started digging up the road without getting the gas lines marked.

Man that’s a super easy way to lose any and all profits you had estimated on the project.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Could be worse, a digger ruptured a pipeline north of Auckland last month, cancelling dozens of flights and sparking a fuel shortage that lasted several weeks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Word is the reconstruction of the I-80/I-380 interchange in Iowa will cost $270 million and last 5 years. They're apparently convering it from a nasty cloverleaf into a turbine.

The cost, I get. But why the time? What is taking up the bulk of that time? I imagine part of it is "you can't shut down an interchange while you replace it all at once" but ... if they DID shut it down completely, and let's say the traffic magically disappeared into detours, how long WOULD it take to build it? Is it due to the time to cast the concrete, and they can't pre-work that stuff off-site?

I guess I just don't get road work timelines in general. v:shobon:v

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Golbez posted:

Word is the reconstruction of the I-80/I-380 interchange in Iowa will cost $270 million and last 5 years. They're apparently convering it from a nasty cloverleaf into a turbine.

The cost, I get. But why the time? What is taking up the bulk of that time? I imagine part of it is "you can't shut down an interchange while you replace it all at once" but ... if they DID shut it down completely, and let's say the traffic magically disappeared into detours, how long WOULD it take to build it? Is it due to the time to cast the concrete, and they can't pre-work that stuff off-site?

ianae but I think it's all just logistical constraints. Some things just require time, there's not an infinite supply of skilled resources, suppliers can't supply whenever you want, buffer for things going wrong, etc. Though if someone's got a thorough write up I'd be interested in reading it, I've been watching a local project progress with similar questions.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They're not even touching the actual interchange until 2021

https://www.scribd.com/document/347354361/I380-Timeline#from_embed

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Couple of relevant quotes (cause I knew it sounded familiar)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Having worked next some road crews: building a road is tough, and slow going. You've gotta cut down to subgrade and get that dirt out of there. Then you bring dirt back in to get your subgrade. Compact and level that. Get it inspected. Then bring in your base course. Compact and level that. Get that inspected, as well. Then your base pavement layer, then finish pavement layer. Once that's done, you have to do all the other stuff that facilitates using the pavement: lines, signs, reflectors, posts, curbs, edging, grooving, etc.

And it just takes a long time. Compacting machines move at (if you're lucky) 1mph. So you could completely compact 8 miles of one lane in a day. That goes for pretty much any of the machines out there. The pavement machines drop down about 75% of a lane of pavement, and move at a slow walk. So if you've got three lanes of pavement and one machine, you're making four or five passes. How long would it take you to walk 80 miles at the same speed you'd use to sweep a floor? That's AFTER everything else is done.

This doesn't even take into account the earthworks before the grading of the road. Or overpasses/bridges/culverts.

Road crews aren't lazy; roads aren't simple.

Jaguars! posted:

Good answer. Also worth noting that with unlimited manpower and lots of machines you could get it done pretty fast but contracting companies can't really hire thousands of skilled workers for a week and them dump them, and you still might have to wait for ground to settle, various engineering items to be manufactured (E.G. Bridge beams, barriers) inevitable delivery delays, etc.

Timing of construction works is run on Critical path method which in a nutshell consists of "work out the vital things that have to be done in order (The critical path), then arrange the items that can be done at any time around that." This then forms the basis for how many workers, machinery, etc, is required. (I'm not totally up on how it works in practice)

E: Gantt Charts are a cool way of seeing the critical path. One of the recent projects I worked on had one that covered three-quarters of a Portacom office wall.

In addition, on an interchange you have to make extra sure that the piers arent subsiding, the bridge deck will fit into the structure as built, etc etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Thanks for the responses and info!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you want a good example of how fast road construction can go when you're completely unobstructed by the need to keep surrounding roads/the road itself open and safe at all, you need to look at what happens when you're rebuilding heavily damaged roads after a disaster, natural or manmade. With full 24/7 access and the ability to have the construction area completely blocked off to the public, things can be replaced full on very fast. A replacement that might have to last over several years with roads being partially opened can be cleared up in a matter of months, sometimes weeks.

Or look at the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge replacement project in Boston recently:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement.aspx
Rather than have partial shutdowns over the course of a few years, the work is mostly compacted into two three week programs where the respective sections of the bridge to be replaced are completely shutdown and the neighboring section repurpsoed just for ped/bike/bus/emergency access.

The first 3 week "sprint" happened the middle of last summer at the lowest traffic period since the universities are only in summer session. The other half of the bridge will be taken care of next summer at the same time. Naturally there was about a year of direct prep leading up to the closure, but it was very minor traffic impact.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A few of the Discovery/History/Science Channel type shows have done features on airport resurfacing projects where they're doing a segment of runway or taxiway overnight with a hard requirement to be usable eight hours later. I think those do a pretty good job of demonstrating what sort of pace is actually possible under mostly ideal conditions. Most roadworks projects of course could only dream of having the budget, manpower, and/or coordination that goes in to one of those jobs.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I guess part of the issue here is, it's the intersection of two interstates, one of which is a main coast-to-coast line, so it would be impossible to completely shut down for any period of time; the detour would be murder on surrounding communities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really enjoying these urban planning and transport memes

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really enjoying these urban planning and transport memes

Ohhhhh I feel disappointed that Michael never did that to Chidi in the trolley experiments /tvreference

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golbez posted:

I guess part of the issue here is, it's the intersection of two interstates, one of which is a main coast-to-coast line, so it would be impossible to completely shut down for any period of time; the detour would be murder on surrounding communities.

Yeah, you're not getting that kind of project done quick unless some monster earthquake topples everything so that the crews need to start from step one and everyone knows the bit will be impassable for months.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

Yeah, you're not getting that kind of project done quick unless some monster earthquake topples everything so that the crews need to start from step one and everyone knows the bit will be impassable for months.

So what you're saying is to form a terrorist group that bombs targets of public infrastructure in dire need of reconstruction.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The psychopath solution to transport problems. Lovely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The psychopath solution to transport problems. Lovely.

Think of it as a Public Works program with, uh, "explosive" potential.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s not entirely without precedent, although maybe not so destructive: there was a guy, I think in the UK, who went around painting dicks on potholes. The city didn’t seem to care much about the potholes, but they REALLY didn’t like the safety orange dicks, so they were quick about paving over them, problem solved.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Bad Munki posted:

It’s not entirely without precedent, although maybe not so destructive: there was a guy, I think in the UK, who went around painting dicks on potholes. The city didn’t seem to care much about the potholes, but they REALLY didn’t like the safety orange dicks, so they were quick about paving over them, problem solved.

Yep.

https://www.boredpanda.com/wanksy-penis-pothole-graffiti-manchester-england/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There ya go. Now that is some vigilante justice I can get behind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Golbez posted:

When they reworked the A40 here in Germany (one of the busiest highways here in Germany) in 2012 they actually went and closed it entirely for 3 months. Doing it conventionally would have probably taken 2 years. It went quite well and saved a lot of money.

Obviously, a lot of work was done to make sure everyone knew what would happen and what the alternative routes were and so on.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

This is so fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joining this group has made going to Facebook a joy again.