Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Nevets posted:

gently caress IC2.

This was pretty much my attitude a few years back. I actually can't believe IC2 and EE are still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah the advice for ic2 in AoE is to take a backup before screwing with a reactor :v:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Same advice as the DE reactor: if you're not absolutely 100% confident you completely understand how it works, fully test your setup in creative beforehand. Never go wrong. :v:

I'm bad at taking my own advice, though. Excruciatingly bad.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

You can just axe up all the cores of the buildings to get rid of minecolony. If a building is "half finished" or something you can hit the "repair building" button in the interface and the builder will completely replace or place all the materials that should be there.

The forge doesnt have a core, which is super weird. SO i will cut it up and move it i guess.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kin33 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a good skyblock or progression style mod for someone who doesn't know the mods inside and out? I played skyfactory 2.5 about a year ago and got decently far with a nuclear generator, auto-crafting, and a bunch of high tech autonomous stuff but lost the world when a hard drive failed.

Tried out skyfactory 3 recently but, unless I'm just dumb, it seems like you need to use chickens or crops to advance? I didn't really enjoy messing with chickens and crops seem slow and tedious.

Age of Engineering and Project Ozone 2 both seem right up my alley but TONNES of mobs spawn in my world for both at night and only like 80% despawn during the day. I couldn't do anything in Project Ozone after the first day so maybe I'm missing something.

Seems like there is a billion out there and I need help narrowing it down.

Age of Engineering doesn't seem to have lots of mobs when I'm playing it.

Nevets posted:

Well, after putting in dozens of hours I'm giving up on Age of Engineering, again. Finally started to get enough EU power to replicate iridium, figured I'd use it to make a liquid heat exchanger & upgrade one of my 2 nuclear reactors to a liquid cooled one. Get everything made: steam generator, coolant & distilled water, steam engines, kinetic generators, etc. Start building the pressure blocks around the shutdown reactor, as I place the last block: BOOM, nuke goes off. Lose both my nuclear reactors w/ all the components inside, my heat exchanger that took like 6 hours of EU production to make the iridium for, 90% of my tier 2 void miner, a medium storage crate full of ore/blocks, my mass replicator, and my pattern storage which is the last way to get more iridium short of starting from scratch dungeon diving.

gently caress IC2.

Restore from a backup! You get one automatically every hour? Half an hour? I wasn't paying attention to it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Oh god, I afked last night in my Sky Factory 3 world to let my Cloches create the amount of diamond essence I'm going to need to finish this Max Size Reactor. Didn't realize I had an item filter on a chest that kept the seeds out of the system and I found myself waking up to 1 FPS because all the essences and seeds have stacked up on the conveyor belts. Didn't know items don't despawn as long as they are on the conveyor belts. :stonklol:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Oh god, I afked last night in my Sky Factory 3 world to let my Cloches create the amount of diamond essence I'm going to need to finish this Max Size Reactor. Didn't realize I had an item filter on a chest that kept the seeds out of the system and I found myself waking up to 1 FPS because all the essences and seeds have stacked up on the conveyor belts. Didn't know items don't despawn as long as they are on the conveyor belts. :stonklol:

You are lucky to be alive sir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Good thing I wasn't using the enclosed conveyor belts then. But I do fear for my world though because I'm afraid to log out and had to go to work so I made some minor adjustments to the sorting system and pulled the item filter and hope that that is enough to clear it all up by the time I get home. I also have export busses already set to pull diamond seeds out of my RS system into a trash can so hopefully that will sort it all out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Good thing I wasn't using the enclosed conveyor belts then. But I do fear for my world though because I'm afraid to log out and had to go to work so I made some minor adjustments to the sorting system and pulled the item filter and hope that that is enough to clear it all up by the time I get home. I also have export busses already set to pull diamond seeds out of my RS system into a trash can so hopefully that will sort it all out.

A good solution for these sorts of systems is to use Drawers with void upgrades on them for anything you're mass producing. Even if it's something important like diamonds, you'd probably rather have a drawer accidentally void some instead of spilling it all over the ground, if you're going to AFK the world.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

lol what the hell, you're throwing away the seeds? the seeds are where you get most of the essence from!

build seed reprocessors. they need a soulium block, which translates as 9 Intermedium each

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's no way, even with config editing, to make one-way conversions in EE/ProjectE, is there?
I'm going over this mystcraft+dungeon-focused modpack idea in my head and I got to thinking about including ProjectE in the form of noncraftable collectors you could get as ultimate loot. That then got me thinking about what if instead you could find items that turned into lump sums of EMC, which could be used to dupe any items you had (provided you met the cost). The problem is any method that would use these would also let you recycle any item with EMC.
A limited, one-way form of ProjectE that lets you "cash-in" these EMC treasure items but not recycle every other item could make for an interesting mechanic, and avoid the prevalent balance issues of ProjectE. It would be like a flat currency you could redeem, without being able to melt down anything at all into EMC.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

There's no way, even with config editing, to make one-way conversions in EE/ProjectE, is there?
I'm going over this mystcraft+dungeon-focused modpack idea in my head and I got to thinking about including ProjectE in the form of noncraftable collectors you could get as ultimate loot. That then got me thinking about what if instead you could find items that turned into lump sums of EMC, which could be used to dupe any items you had (provided you met the cost). The problem is any method that would use these would also let you recycle any item with EMC.
A limited, one-way form of ProjectE that lets you "cash-in" these EMC treasure items but not recycle every other item could make for an interesting mechanic, and avoid the prevalent balance issues of ProjectE. It would be like a flat currency you could redeem, without being able to melt down anything at all into EMC.

As much as people seem to hate IC2, Industrial Craft 2 has that with the Replicator and UU-Matter. :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

You could do this easily enough with the mechanics in the Quest Book mod. Just pick some arbitrary item as your "currency", then set up repeatable quests which allow you to "cash in" for various rewards. I basically did the same thing in Plus-Block with Vendo-o-Mats from IC2.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lolmer posted:

As much as people seem to hate IC2, Industrial Craft 2 has that with the Replicator and UU-Matter. :)
Not exactly what I was looking for, and not really really worth implementing the whole mod. I've vowed never to put IC2 into any modpack.

Rutibex posted:

You could do this easily enough with the mechanics in the Quest Book mod. Just pick some arbitrary item as your "currency", then set up repeatable quests which allow you to "cash in" for various rewards. I basically did the same thing in Plus-Block with Vendo-o-Mats from IC2.
Closer, but this only really works with pre-selected items, rather than EMC's broadly inclusive options, and at that point I could just as easily add custom recipes to turn the currency item into a handful of basic resources.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol what the hell, you're throwing away the seeds? the seeds are where you get most of the essence from!

build seed reprocessors. they need a soulium block, which translates as 9 Intermedium each

Right now yeah I'm throwing them away because I haven't built the facility it's going to take for reprocessors to keep up with 6 Cloches working full time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

Not exactly what I was looking for, and not really really worth implementing the whole mod. I've vowed never to put IC2 into any modpack.

Closer, but this only really works with pre-selected items, rather than EMC's broadly inclusive options, and at that point I could just as easily add custom recipes to turn the currency item into a handful of basic resources.

Doesn't Thaumcraft have a system where you can do alchemy based on essences or something? Maybe give them some essences. I donno if that would work, I haven't played Thaumcraft in a long time and it changes radically every version.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sadly the author of Thaumcraft has stepped away from Minecraft modding so the mod is out of date and not updating anymore.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Aww, I liked Thaumcraft even if I didn't play it much. No comparable mod has sprung up and he hasn't released the source?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

He came back and is working on it again, I heard someone mention on the MS2 discord. That was a couple weeks ago.

Although at last blush Divine Journey is one of the only 1.7.10 packs left that's still getting quasi-regular updates. PO2 isn't expected to get patched further according to its own authors.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh really? I hope so, I always thought Thaumcraft was super stylish. I get all my Minecraft news from this thread so my info's usually not the latest.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

D34THROW posted:

Aww, I liked Thaumcraft even if I didn't play it much. No comparable mod has sprung up and he hasn't released the source?

There's Wizardry (still early alpha) that's kind of a mix between Ars Magica 2 and Thaumcraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

D34THROW posted:

Astral Sorcery is in a similar vein, though with less evil and less tedious research. It's got some of the TC5 toys that almost no one got to see because TC5 was for 1.8 -- analogues to the builder's focus and the grappler focus.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lolmer posted:

There's Wizardry (still early alpha) that's kind of a mix between Ars Magica 2 and Thaumcraft.
Holy crap, Wizardry looks amazing. I almost want to toss it into a real simple 1.12 pack just to give it a shot. I noticed it hasn't had a new public release in a month -- how unfinished is it? Is most of the stuff in those gifs in the current version?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

Holy crap, Wizardry looks amazing. I almost want to toss it into a real simple 1.12 pack just to give it a shot. I noticed it hasn't had a new public release in a month -- how unfinished is it? Is most of the stuff in those gifs in the current version?

the first comment was asking if it was abandoned, but the creator said there's a lot of active dev stuff on their discord

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I can see it's still being developed, I was just wondering if what was shown was actually in yet or if it was taken from an in-progress build.

E: Turns out the disclaimer was correct and this is, indeed, so unfinished as to be barely playable.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 26, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have a link to a forge mod that extends the character limit in the chat box? Previously, I've been using Tabbychat, but it's a liteloader mod and crashes my server when it's loaded on there. I don't need the tab functionality that Tabbychat offers, just the ability to type more characters at a time in game.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
What's the current hotness for questbook modpacks? Preferably something that isn't skyblock and a bit more guided than Age of Engineering (and a bit more recent as far as MC version goes).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kraven Moorhed posted:

What's the current hotness for questbook modpacks? Preferably something that isn't skyblock and a bit more guided than Age of Engineering (and a bit more recent as far as MC version goes).

You can play a skyblock pack on a regular map, its just easier :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm actually kinda looking forward to the next direwolf pubname pack. I want to play a non-skyblock, sort of "standard" 1.12 pack that has some internal balance, and hopefully that'll be it. We'll see when he gets it finished.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I played a bit more Project Ozone 2 today. I am finding Kappa Mode to actually be a lot more fun than Normal Mode. Its a bit more involved, but the pack still provides you with plenty of resource to work with! First thing I did was make a few basic machines to get the old automation going. FIrst a cobblestone generator, I made this with the Extra Utilities node method as the Block Breaker recipe was very expensive in Kappa Mode. I also made an Auto Sifter, a Yellorium Lava Generator, and a Smeltery. I am progressing much faster in Kappa Mode than I did in Normal, despite the recipes being more challenging I already know what I am doing!

Next I needed to set up a mob spawner in the hopes of getting some lootbags. I needed ender pearls and seeds, etc. I used a cheaper kind of conveyor blocks for this simple drop grinder. To collect loot there are some hoppers at the bottom connected to a chest. The Blazes I have to go over and kill manually. Unfortunately this mob grinder is very unproductive! I looked at the "entities" count and found it was huge. It turns out there are lots of abandoned mine shafts below the desert biome :( I spend a good while clearing out mines and filling them with torches. My grinder is moderately more productive now, but there are still mine shafts that I have missed. Maybe I'll use a buildcraft quarry or something? I can't go to the Last Millennium yet, the recipe is too extensive :(

After finishing off the mob grinder I got sick of looking through chests and set up a Storage Drawers based sorting system. I can't put a Logistics interface onto it yet (too expensive), but it sorts things a lot better than a half dozen wooden chests!

Next I decided to get into Botania. In Kappa Mode all of the Magical Crops are gated behind Botania mana. I never tried this mod (it was not needed in normal mode) so this is a cool learning experience! I set up some Agricraft sprinklers, as the Extra Utilities Watering Can was (once again) too expensive for me at this time. I feel quite stupid for skipping these sprinklers last time, they are cheap as hell and they make the crops almost as productive as the Imaginary Time Blocks! I breed a Pure Daisy then used that to enchant the Botania stone and wood I needed to build a mana crafting station. Black Lotuses from the mob grinder loot bags help to fill up the mana pool quickly :) By the end of it I had successfully crafted Minico Seeds! Each Magical Crop has a challenging recipe of its own, but this is a great first step.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Considering AoE tells you everything to do every step of the way, what do you mean by 'more guided'? That said, anything with quests I've seen lately are either a vague framework of progression (mostly milestones and goals possibly set in a general story) or 'here's a list of quests to craft/obtain every object that can be acquired in this pack, with no particular structure except possibly segmented by mod'.

The 'guided experiences' lately have been Age of Engineering, Age of Progression, Age of Magic (the latter two being spinoffs of AoE) and Modern Skyblock 2, and they didn't do 'quests' except for the recent change to MSB2 which turned it into the latter of what I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I can't actually think of any modern quest-based packs I've seen that aren't either skyblock or hardcore survival (ala Craft of the Titans, Forever Stranded, etc).

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Just gonna drop this off here, for people who don't really follow the site:
http://teamcofh.com/posts/2017/10/26/what-if/

I'm trying to do one of these a week now, so if you're curious what is actually coming to TE once I get the artwork finished, go to the main page and read a couple of posts back. :)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Problem with my Simple life 2. Pc shut down while i was slime slinging my way across the map. Rebooted and reloaded the game. Now i have no quests.

Hitting the ` button open the usual interface but hitting quests just brings up a blank page. Any way to fix something like that?

(and totally off topic, i want to replace my son's video card he has the geforce 210. MB is DP55WB and i dont want to spend a lot, but there are a few game son steam he likes and the 210 doesnt work.)

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Seems there's been some scuttlebutt about https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-horizons-iii which I haven't been able to look into yet but seems interesting enough. Bacon Donut was talking about dropping his AoE stream for it when it got released.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KingLemming posted:

I'm trying to do one of these a week now, so if you're curious what is actually coming to TE once I get the artwork finished, go to the main page and read a couple of posts back. :)

That's really neat.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Seems there's been some scuttlebutt about https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-horizons-iii which I haven't been able to look into yet but seems interesting enough. Bacon Donut was talking about dropping his AoE stream for it when it got released.

I messed around with this a bit. If you've only played FTB packs, there's a ton of neat stuff in here, but if you've already spent serious time with 1.12 (Lost Travels/MS2/ATM3) there's very little here that'll be new to you.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

That was a fun and informative read, thank you. :)

I'm looking forward to more Thermal Cultivation, perhaps some blocks from the ol' MineFactory Reloaded (hello Rancher and Harvester ;) )? I really miss Tesseracts for sending energy/items/fluid from long distances (e.g. my Nuclear Craft or Draconic Evolution reactors far away from my base) without having to chunkload all the chunks between for wires/cables.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

lolmer posted:

or Draconic Evolution reactors far away from my base) without having to chunkload all the chunks between for wires/cables.

As an alternative, Immersive Engineering cables can transmit across unloaded chunks just fine. However, they cap out at 4096 RF/t per wire, so you'd probably need a lot of them operating in parallel to make it work, and obviously it wouldn't work cross-dimensionally.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As an alternative, Immersive Engineering cables can transmit across unloaded chunks just fine. However, they cap out at 4096 RF/t per wire, so you'd probably need a lot of them operating in parallel to make it work, and obviously it wouldn't work cross-dimensionally.

That's awesome, thanks! I wasn't sure (and hadn't tested) if they'd work once connected and the intervening chunks were unloaded. Plus Immersive Engineering looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

lolmer posted:

That was a fun and informative read, thank you. :)

I'm looking forward to more Thermal Cultivation, perhaps some blocks from the ol' MineFactory Reloaded (hello Rancher and Harvester ;) )? I really miss Tesseracts for sending energy/items/fluid from long distances (e.g. my Nuclear Craft or Draconic Evolution reactors far away from my base) without having to chunkload all the chunks between for wires/cables.

Yeah, I've given it a bit of thought and Cultivation will probably end up being crops (without super complexity) + bees (without the weapons-grade autism) + food and maybe some traditional farming-style blocks (new soils). I don't want it to be technical really, so that a pack with TF+TC can play pretty well alongside medieval-technology Minecraft. No RF or complex logistics.

So Planter+Harvester? Yeah that might be a TE thing, though the Insolator in my mind does a pretty fantastic job of that stuff already. The Rancher I'm literally discussing in chat right now since it's a question of how exactly it should be handled.

Tesseracts ehhh...I'm of two minds on right now. I want to make them more accessible and then tier the progression a bit, but then at the same time I also want to make a variant which is just blatant logistical triviality so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.

KingLemming fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2017