Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Critical posted:

Donald Trump is a oval office and I hope he dies soon.

I want him incapacitated by dementia because that leaves the GOP in a very awkward spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mendrian posted:

People expecting Antifa to be Ghandi or MLK are so loving stupid because they'd be saying the exact same poo poo about those leaders if they'd been alive for their respective movements.

"We have to be an example and not be violent" I say as I storm the beaches of Normandy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mendrian posted:

People expecting Antifa to be Ghandi or MLK are so loving stupid because they'd be saying the exact same poo poo about those leaders if they'd been alive for their respective movements.

If MLK was still alive they’d treat him exactly like they do Al Sharpton.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, it still isn't anything at all, really. This passage is just "we're not going to go ahead and drop the ball this early for no reason".

So a remarkable achievement for the 2017 Congress, is what you're saying. :v:

Mendrian posted:

I prefer the cases where they can bait the Nazis into throwing the first punch, which doesn't appear to be terribly difficult, but that's less "don't punch Nazis" and more "punch Nazis in a strategically preferable fashion that is less likely to see your dudes in the pokey".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Blood and soil types are a minority even on their side. The average right-winger whines about BLM, affirmative action, welfare, kneeling in football, etc.

that's all blood and soil dude.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So a remarkable achievement for the 2017 Congress, is what you're saying. :v:

I prefer the cases where they can bait the Nazis into throwing the first punch, which doesn't appear to be terribly difficult, but that's less "don't punch Nazis" and more "punch Nazis in a strategically preferable fashion that is less likely to see your dudes in the pokey".

I mean ideally, sure.

The problem is treating Antifa like they're the military branch of the left. They aren't. They're antibodies. Their people who hate the idea of Nazis gaining a foothold. They're the physical manifestation of public outrage over the possibility of a fascist regime, simmering just below the level of a riot. There's no strategy because there's no leadership; people just loving hate Nazis. Full stop. "Well, they shouldn't hit windows..." or, "Well, they should consider the optics..." is just loving stupid. People hate Nazis and they're going to take it out on people. It'd be like if the government decided we all had to be in bed by 7PM and some people took to the street and flipped over cars because they're pissed. They don't consider the optics because they're individuals whose only unifying motivation is to express their displeasure. Some of them don't break windows. Some of them do. When they organize, it's in tiny little groups with nebulous goals.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I want him incapacitated by dementia because that leaves the GOP in a very awkward spot.

The GOP takes notes from Pope Formosus and seats Donnie behind the resolute desk regardless, with someone tying strings to his hands to make him sign bills. Not like anyone can tell with that lovely signature.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Of course they would. The people pulling this poo poo are comparing the sanitized, air brushed versions of these movements to a real world movement and are shocked that reality doesn't match idealistic fantasy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

business hammocks posted:

Good news about all commercial meat, friend!

Maybe 10 years ago. Rules are entering effect and most producers actually curtailed antibiotic use well in advance.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We're basically there. He's still ambulatory, but his speech is a wandering mess that is slowly sliding from unfocused word salad to full-on glossolalia.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's all blood and soil dude.

Someone can be a regressive shithead without being a literal Nazi. I'm not trying to say that there aren't similarities, but muddying definitions (even for a good reason like emphasizing that both are related and bad) isn't really useful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

1986?

Which they followed by winning the presidency in 1988?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FizFashizzle posted:

1986?

Which they followed by winning the presidency in 1988?

Bush was truly a magician.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Someone can be a regressive shithead without being a literal Nazi. I'm not trying to say that there aren't similarities, but muddying definitions (even for a good reason like emphasizing that both are related and bad) isn't really useful.

Every point you mentioned that the "average right-winger whines about" were about keeping non-white people (especially black people) poor and downtrodden. How is that not America for "Americans"? How is that not blood and soil?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Of course they would. The people pulling this poo poo are comparing the sanitized, air brushed versions of these movements to a real world movement and are shocked that reality doesn't match idealistic fantasy

Yep, pretty much.

We’re all guilty of it too. Somebody was long-form quoting him within the last 15 pages.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

Bush was truly a magician.

Americans were too focused on reading his lips while he copped a feel

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I'm still catching up but, christ on a cracker, just kill me now. :rolleyes:

We are alive inside the stupidest tiarrrrghhhhfbfbfffttttffffffffffffffffff!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Good lord, the Republican budget legislation is one of the worst things I've ever seen. For example, being able to deduct my property taxes every year is amazingly helpful, I can't believe they'd end that.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They both result in Republicans having power, so they're functionally identical.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Akumu posted:

Every point you mentioned that the "average right-winger whines about" were about keeping non-white people (especially black people) poor and downtrodden. How is that not America for "Americans"? How is that not blood and soil?

If y'all want to call it that then that's fine. If you want to call Manifest Destiny "lebensraum" then you can do that too. I just thought the phrase had more value when it was actually associated with Nazi ideology like it has been since it was coined.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone post that 1960s political cartoon portraying MLK as a violent thug in front of a destroyed city.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If y'all want to call it that then that's fine. If you want to call Manifest Destiny "lebensraum" then you can do that too. I just thought the word had more value when it was actually associated with Nazi ideology like it has been since it was coined.

It is? Like what's the crucial difference here, that we're not German?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Good lord, the Republican budget legislation is one of the worst things I've ever seen. For example, being able to deduct my property taxes every year is amazingly helpful, I can't believe they'd end that.

Rich people have better use for that money

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep, pretty much.

We’re all guilty of it too. Somebody was long-form quoting him within the last 15 pages.

Letter from Birmingham Jail is incredibly relevant to these discussions.

I don't see how quoting MLK's condemnation of the white moderate to explain why it's bullshit to claim sympathy to the cause while complaining about the tactics of the protesters is whitewashing the civil rights movement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

every republican is a white nationalist.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ague Proof posted:

Did someone miss handel the sever?

pages old but :golfclap:

need that, there's been scant little good news lately.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

They both result in Republicans having power, so they're functionally identical.

Gerrymandering and voter ID laws both suppress D votes, but we don't call them by the same word.

Akumu posted:

It is? Like what's the crucial difference here, that we're not German?

There are differences between different ethno-nationalist ideologies. IDK man. There are plenty of differences between a skinhead and a Republican in congress, even if they both want to elevate white people. That doesn't mean we start calling skinheads "congressman." I didn't put a lot of thought into that analogy, but does not make sense?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Gerrymandering and voter ID laws both suppress D votes, but we don't call them by the same word.

There are differences between different ethno-nationalist ideologies. IDK man. There are plenty of differences between a skinhead and a Republican in congress, even if they both want to elevate white people. That doesn't mean we start calling skinheads "congressman." I didn't put a lot of thought into that analogy, but does not make sense?

How about you just call a duck a duck. Quibbling over what they really mean when they say blood and soil isn't productive.

And gerrymandering and voter ID laws are processes, not ideologies, so that's a weird comparison. It's like saying "Well all this stuff in this toolbox fixes cars, so I'm going to call them all wrenches" even though there are a shitload of other things that aren't wrenches in the toolbox.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

I was talking to my friend about this and she and I agreed that this whole thing is a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" situation. The issue is that while the GOP all agree on who Paul is (billionaires), they have massive disagreements on which Peters they should steal from. This is why you had 20-some GOP house members vote against this. If you're a Republican in CA, NY, NJ, etc. this budget passing is the kiss of death. You can't run on "I cut taxes" if your constituents' taxes actually went up.

It's why I'm pretty skeptical on the whole thing. I'm thinking they end up passing some really stripped down thing that just fucks the usual GOP targets (poor people) because there is no way in hell the moderate GOP members can stomach the crazy poo poo like ending state/property tax deductions, destroying 401ks, etc.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twice burned ice posted:

Letter from Birmingham Jail is incredibly relevant to these discussions.

I don't see how quoting MLK's condemnation of the white moderate to explain why it's bullshit to claim sympathy to the cause while complaining about the tactics of the protesters is whitewashing the civil rights movement.

Often it gets used to focus on the “moderate” part while ignoring the “white” part and consequently implying that people further to the left are above implicit bias.

The broad liberal-left doesn’t want to have awkward discussions about representation and leadership roles for minorities all too often, it’s why I much more respect the DSA for explicitly reserving leadership positions for minority members even if the hosed it up in other ways.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about ruralism. If you don't object to calling the Nazis at Charlottesville "blood and soil types", there's no reason to object to calling the average right-winger that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shbobdb posted:

I got yelled out of the room multiple times by people like Trab for saying that if you have a choice between a con-man promising you things you want and someone seriously offering advocating things you know are bad, it makes sense to go for the con-man. Even if everything else is obviously on the con-man.

If you haven't seen gains for 8 years, you vote for volatility and not stability.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ah yes, Praying, (beating, humiliating) the gay away. And then there's the electric shock and nausea-inducing drugs when showing the sinner same-sex erotic images. Lovely.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

axeil posted:

I'm thinking they end up passing some really stripped down thing that just fucks the usual GOP targets (poor people) because there is no way in hell the moderate GOP members can stomach the crazy poo poo like ending state/property tax deductions, destroying 401ks, etc.
I used to have this level of optimism.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

The NJ Fatass is going to try again, but this time the limo route is going to be crazy so they don't pass any Taco Bells or other mexican restaurants.

Christie is delusional if he thinks the Father In Law of the guy who's dad he put in prison is going to do anything important with him.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

axeil posted:

I was talking to my friend about this and she and I agreed that this whole thing is a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" situation. The issue is that while the GOP all agree on who Paul is (billionaires), they have massive disagreements on which Peters they should steal from. This is why you had 20-some GOP house members vote against this. If you're a Republican in CA, NY, NJ, etc. this budget passing is the kiss of death. You can't run on "I cut taxes" if your constituents' taxes actually went up.

It's why I'm pretty skeptical on the whole thing. I'm thinking they end up passing some really stripped down thing that just fucks the usual GOP targets (poor people) because there is no way in hell the moderate GOP members can stomach the crazy poo poo like ending state/property tax deductions, destroying 401ks, etc.

It’s funny because this tax bill is going to raise the taxes of core trump supporters - the upper middle class.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

gret posted:

It’s funny because this tax bill is going to raise the taxes of core trump supporters - the upper middle class.
Republicans will just say that Democrats are to blame, and that'll be that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OK, I really don't care how y'all use the expression. When I posted that pages and pages ago it was just to draw a distinction between someone who leans more toward "literally holocaust the (((Jews)))" and the average conservative dumbshit that I meet on a daily basis who hurts minorities in other ways. Like when everyone talks about punching Nazis, I didn't know it literally meant punch all conservatives.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, I really don't care how y'all use the expression. When I posted that pages and pages ago it was just to draw a distinction between someone who leans more toward "literally holocaust the (((Jews)))" and the average conservative dumbshit that I meet on a daily basis who hurts minorities in other ways. Like when everyone talks about punching Nazis, I didn't know you literally meant punch all conservatives.

The concept you’re trying to articulate is the difference between ideological conservatives and cultural conservatives.

The problem is that ideological conservatives are successfully radicalizing cultural conservatives en masses as we speak. Which is how people go from “those damned NFL players need to respect Are Troops” to “the Holocaust was a lie.”

From the perspective of the people they hurt the difference is largely academic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

3 minutes to midnight.

Wow we're taking opinions from loving Steam and "Gamers" doing shtick now? :share:

• Locked thread