Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

Here's the thing about nicknaming legendaries. They already have a name.

Wrong. Most legendaries aren't singular pokes. I can't wait for the game or show that features a flock of Moltres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I named my Magearna "MechaElphelt"

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ariong posted:

Why would you want to mix human genes into a pokemon? Man, this cocktail is amazing, but you know what would really bring it home? A couple glasses of water.

look at what it did for greninja

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ruggington posted:

look at what it did for greninja

turned it into a weird gimmick that will never be revisted or expanded on?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ariong posted:

Why would you want to mix human genes into a pokemon?

Perhaps you should ask...Tommy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Wrong. Most legendaries aren't singular pokes. I can't wait for the game or show that features a flock of Moltres.

This would be cool.
I make it a point not to use Legendaries specifically for immersion reasons, so it'd be cool to know that there are more copies out there so I could relax that rule.

Other than Lugia, which Legendaries have they come out and said aren't unique?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If you aren't naming your Zapdos "Nicofly Telsa" then you have failed as a Pokemon Trainer.

im happy to be a failure of a pokemon trainer if successful pokemon trainers are this embarassing

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

turned it into a weird gimmick that will never be revisted or expanded on?

it made sure it'll definitely absolutely get banned eventually

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the_steve posted:

This would be cool.
I make it a point not to use Legendaries specifically for immersion reasons, so it'd be cool to know that there are more copies out there so I could relax that rule.

the diamond pearl and platinum legendaries are all able to be created by arceus in hgss, so theres merit to saying they are technically not unique.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mew is the ancestor of all pokemon and its possible they mean that in the sense of an evolutionary ancestor, so there would be multiples of them too (altho long dead, poor mew)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean by that logic there's only one mewtwo but it's a hosed up clone of mew so there could be infinitely many of those if some idiot had millions of dollars to burn and no common sense whatsoever

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if the original mewtwo made more mewtwo so it wouldn't be alone

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

the_steve posted:

This would be cool.

Celebi. Um... Mewtwo in the anime, I think, which always weirded me out. Diancie isn't unique. Probably a fuckton more but those were the three off the top of my head.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean by that logic there's only one mewtwo but it's a hosed up clone of mew so there could be infinitely many of those if some idiot had millions of dollars to burn and no common sense whatsoever
There are multiple mewtwo in the anime/movies continuity. Like at least two.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Dabir posted:

im happy to be a failure of a pokemon trainer if successful pokemon trainers are this embarassing

"Zappelin" is also acceptable

Edit: Wait, actually Drifbilm can learn Thunderbolt, save that name for him

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 26, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All the failed Mew clones are Ditto. Don't believe me? Then you are a fool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

one of the plot hooks in the Pokemon Tabletop United book for legendaries is that the genetic code for Mewtwo made it onto the black market some years ago and now a nation/NSA's power is measured by the number of Mewtwos they have the ability to deploy

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

There were two Deoxys in that one movie where he kicked the poo poo outta Rayquaza

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Okay actually going down this rabbithole (aka Bulbapedia) Raikou, Entei, and Suicune are all species, and not individuals, with a member of each species having died in the Brass Tower to be revived by Ho-oh. Ho-oh isn't confirmed to have multiples, unlike Lugia. Registeel, Regice, and Regirock have doubles, but this might be it. Latias and Latios aren't unique since a Nurse Joy had a Latias in the anime, and another trainer had a Latios in the anime, neither of which were the Latias or Latios Ash had previously met. Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are probably unique, but Deoxys is confirmed not be unique. I don't THINK Heatran is unique. Rather, it's gendered in a way other pokemon aren't, which implies Heatran do reproduce, but maybe only with each other and not when used by a trainer. Regigigas is unique. Silvally obviously isn't unique, nor are Cosmog's line.

So to answer your question more concisely, the following legendaries are confirmed to have multiples in either game or anime canon.

- Celebi
- Mewtwo
- Raikou
- Entei
- Suicune
- Lugia
- Registeel *
- Regice *
- Regirock *
- Latias
- Latios
- Deoxys
- Cosmog/Cosmoem/Solageo/Lunala
- Silvally

* Only two known
And the following have evidence supporting doubles

- Heatran

I could do mythical pokemon, too.

EDIT: Mythical pokemon that are confirmed to have multiples are

- Celebi is mythical and not legendary I guess
- Diancie
- Shaymin
- Genesect
- Phione, obviously
- Proooobably Manaphy?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 26, 2017

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

At this point its easier to assume that Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are not one of a kind creatures anymore since its also been established that every version (or even every save file) is an alternate universe that can interact and trade with each other. Not to mention that Hoopa literally has the power to make other legendaries appear from thin air or at least pull them from other dimensions.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Zuzie posted:

At this point its easier to assume that Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are not one of a kind creatures anymore since its also been established that every version (or even every save file) is an alternate universe that can interact and trade with each other. Not to mention that Hoopa literally has the power to make other legendaries appear from thin air or at least pull them from other dimensions.
I will say that if the problem is user immersion idk if getting a once-in-a-universe pokemon helps. That's why I mentioned legendaries with multiples in one universe.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I choose to believe there is only one mewtwo because the idea of there being more than one is stupid

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'd be okay with different Mewtwo if they were all regional variants and what the scientists of each area thought was their best creation, but it's too late now that they have megas. 6 frankenstein designs for specializing in each of the 6 stats.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zore posted:

Hey, at least you can trade Vikavolt to a game where you've been to Great Poni Canyon and get one at level 21.

Volcarona has to wait until level goddamn 59 to evolve.

Seriously gently caress Gen V's horseshit evolution levels.
Getting a level 35 one in BW2 was pretty great though. Even if it takes forever to learn good moves, it has the special attack score to still get stuff done with Ember, you can move tutor on Signal Beam pretty much straight away, and the Psychic TM's not that far away. And when you do eventually get the Flamethrower TM, hoo boy.

I got stung when I bought the TM for Incinerate and learned it was awful back in Gen V though :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 26, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

one of the plot hooks in the Pokemon Tabletop United book for legendaries is that the genetic code for Mewtwo made it onto the black market some years ago and now a nation/NSA's power is measured by the number of Mewtwos they have the ability to deploy

japan's relationship with mewtwos in media is interesting, have been the only country in history against which a mew was used

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

japan's relationship with mewtwos in media is interesting, have been the only country in history against which a mew was used

i'm tired of Japanese cartoons and movies inserting heavy-handed mewtwo allegories into everything. we get it, mewtwos are bad, but that was 70 years ago. not everything has to be about mewtwos.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Celebi is immortal and capable of time travel, therefore there is only one Celebi. We've just all caught one at a different point in its timeline.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eox posted:

Celebi is immortal and capable of time travel, therefore there is only one Celebi. We've just all caught one at a different point in its timeline.

There's at least two since one of them is the shiny

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Some of us caught it after a chance encounter with a bucket of paint

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eox posted:

Some of us caught it after a chance encounter with a bucket of paint

At some points in time Celebi dyes it's hair pink to cosplay as Mew.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I'd swear I remember seeing a screenshot of the anime that had multiple Heatran crawling on a rock wall. I think it was on Bulbapedia. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I'm remembering that screenshot wrong. It was just one of them. someone on Reddit was saying that there are multiple Heatran at once in one of the Ranger games. I never played those though so I can't really confirm.

They did also point out that there can be multiple Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina because of that in-game event that causes Arceus to give birth to a new one.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 26, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PSWII60 posted:

I'd swear I remember seeing a screenshot of the anime that had multiple Heatran crawling on a rock wall. I think it was on Bulbapedia. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I'm remembering that screenshot wrong. It was just one of them. someone on Reddit was saying that there are multiple Heatran at once in one of the Ranger games. I never played those though so I can't really confirm.

They did also point out that there can be multiple Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina because of that in-game event that causes Arceus to give birth to a new one.
Arceus needs to stop it with these unplanned pregnancies. We get it, Arceus! From you gods spring! You're so powerful and cool! But who's going to raise this Giratina, huh?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Eox posted:

Does this presuppose that Celebi is really stupid and keeps dropping levels or what.

Although if Celebi really are immortal, they can't reproduce, because combined with the time travel, we'd all be smothered in Celebi. So I'd buy there's either a set amount of them or they're just long-lived, not immortal. Although I bet you'd still get certain times and places just lousy with Celebi bc they like the conditions there and then. It'd be funny if Celebi is only rare because they just don't like the time period canon takes place in, and in other times and places it's like, 'oh, a Celebi, must be tuesday, haha'.

EDIT: What I'm saying is we could test this by throwing a really awesome forest party for Celebi only.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 26, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

celebi's arms are long and weird sometimes

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat you game corner :argh:
I just hit Goldenrod on my silver playthrough, and decided that I'm not leaving until I get Dratini.

I just now cleared 600 coins off of that card flip game, it seemed like the most reliable way to get tokens, but drat, this is gonna be awhile.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean if you have to have dratini now then you have to have it but the fastest way to get coins is to grind the elite four and buy coins, and ignore the games entirely

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

the_steve posted:

drat you game corner :argh:
I just hit Goldenrod on my silver playthrough, and decided that I'm not leaving until I get Dratini.

I just now cleared 600 coins off of that card flip game, it seemed like the most reliable way to get tokens, but drat, this is gonna be awhile.

Enjoy your level ten Dratini that you have to level up against wild Pokémon that are lower than that.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Does this presuppose that Celebi is really stupid and keeps dropping levels or what.

It's either this or Celebi is just hoping that the next leap will be the leap home.

Come to think of it, what happens to a trainers pokemon when the trainer dies? Are they released, given to next of kin or appropriated by the poke government?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eox posted:

It's either this or Celebi is just hoping that the next leap will be the leap home.

Come to think of it, what happens to a trainers pokemon when the trainer dies? Are they released, given to next of kin or appropriated by the poke government?

Euthanized. Buried with the trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What they don't show you in Gen VI was that Celebi was the cause of the Pokemon war that cause Flabebe to nuke itself.