Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E_P
Feb 22, 2003

ladron posted:

As for the women with prostitutes, I mean, just a guess, but some girl going to a host bar with her friends and hooking up with the host or something.
I wish I had some actual stories but I knew a guy at my gym that worked at a host bar and he said the customers were mostly 40 year old ajummas and at the end of the day they would always get a table of young women who work at a female host bar who would come in and treat the guys like poo poo and just make them do all the things the girl hosts just had to go through that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If anyone’s interested in that scene look up The Great Happiness Space, a documentary about host clubs in Osaka.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Topical cross post....

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tromp pls

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
INDIAN SUBWAY TRIP REPORT - EATING FRESH WITH DINESH*

I will preface this with the fact that I don't care for Subway. I like their white chocolate macadamia sugar cookies, but have always thought their sandwiches were too dry (too much bread), too expensive for the poor quality, and the fact that if one person is in line ahead of you then you might well get started on reading that novel you've always put off. I figured if I was going to try something I knew to see how different it was in another country, Subway would be the place.

I was taking a walk and looking on the Zomato app to see where I should get dinner. Subway came up nearby, so I decided to give it a try. I go in there and see it's divided down the middle. One glass fixins counter for vegetarians, and one for meat heads, so things don't cross-contaminate and start a holy war. I went to the veg counter and ordered a Mexican Patty sub, and a "Subwrap" Chatpata Channa, like a breaded fried garbonzo patty in a wrap with veg and sauce.

I told the guy to put everything on it. The workers were very meticulous about arranging everything inside the sandwich nicely and perfectly, until it came time for sauces. I was watching the people in front of me get their sandwiches made, and I noticed something different is that they don't have a rule about the amount of sauce/slime like they did in the US. You can get all 8 or 9 sauces on for no extra cost, and I think it's just part of the deal that everyone wants them, so they put them. Several of them were India-only local flavors. This took care of the "dry" complaint I had with Subway, as my sandwich was drenched from a rain of flavors and sodium-enhanced hydrogenated oils.

I honestly could not pick out a single flavor while eating it. Between the 8 or so sauces in it, the garlic bread, the onions, the veg, the jalapenos, and the supposed Mexican patty, whatever that is, each bite tasted different. It was good, but I had no idea was I was tasting. Definitely different than whatever I'd had at Subway in the US.

Presentation: 5/10 - Sloppy food in wax paper.
Taste: 6/10 - No distinct flavor, but not bad.
Price: $3.86 USD for a foot-long with a patty and every sauce. Cheaper than back home.
Pro-tip: Ask for extra Mint Mayonnaise, it's weird.

Then I tried the Chatpata Channa wrap. No stranger to Indian wraps, rolls, and Frankies, this was the only thing I actually was curious about. Any time I eat somewhere new I order at least one wrap if they have them, because it's one of those things guaranteed to taste different at each place you eat at. Traditional local foods generally all strive to taste good, but also strive to taste the same in many ways since the recipes give that distinct flavor, while fusion foods like wraps can be whatever the hell people want them to be.
This was a very basic wrap, just being the patties, onion, tomato, lettuce, and a bunch of sauce. There might have been cheese, I have no idea. Unlike the sandwich, this one seemed to only have one sauce, and I could actually taste the patty and get whatever flavor they were trying to convey. It was very Indian, and definitely good. The patties lasted until the last bite, which means they don't skimp on them.
It wasn't as good other wraps I've had in India, but for a generic Indian wrap it was not bad.

Presentation: Neatly wrapped in a wheat tortilla, no mess.
Taste: 5/10 - Decent Indian wrap. People outside India would rate this much higher, but domestically it doesn't stand out.
Price: $1 USD, so it was decent for me. Nearly the same price as most wraps here.
Pro-tip: Order two if you want to be satisfied. They are small.

*I don't know who Dinesh is.

I would like to add that they had a guy that made the meat sandwiches, since the Hindu workers won't touch meat.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 26, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bajaj posted:

I would like to add that they had a guy that made the meat sandwiches, since the Hindu workers won't touch meat.

Yeah who would they hire for that? White guy? Someone from another Asian country? Because assuming they have pork sandwiches in India, they couldn't hire a Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, or Jain to make the meat sandwiches.

Or do they just get a modern young Hindu who doesn't mind getting stink eye from all the aunties when they see him handling beef?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah who would they hire for that? White guy? Someone from another Asian country? Because assuming they have pork sandwiches in India, they couldn't hire a Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, or Jain to make the meat sandwiches.

Or do they just get a modern young Hindu who doesn't mind getting stink eye from all the aunties when they see him handling beef?

india has a nontrivial christian population that has no problem with any of it. i supported an orphanage in mysore for a long while and they ended up getting a lot of christian/catholic kids because the local hindu and muslim orphanages would only take kids of their associated creed and the orphanage in question would take any kid they could do right by. (this was more heart-rending than you might think)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

india has a nontrivial christian population that has no problem with any of it. i supported an orphanage in mysore for a long while and they ended up getting a lot of christian/catholic kids because the local hindu and muslim orphanages would only take kids of their associated creed and the orphanage in question would take any kid they could do right by. (this was more heart-rending than you might think)

I'm a loving moron who forgot about all the Christians. Lol forever.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

did they make the kids squirm in pain as it would "bring them closer to god"?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

War on Christmas finally bearing fruit

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Bajaj posted:

https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305741000035827

"Placed next to the brutal ethnic conflicts that plague much of the world," so is this a Whataboutism or a "See, China's not so bad"?

Too chicken poo poo to attack their own government.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeoh posted:

did they make the kids squirm in pain as it would "bring them closer to god"?

one of the standards for the orphanage is that when kids left the orphanage they had real prospects to not have an unbearably miserable life. when a woman dropped a toddler off, they would accept the kid and make sure the kid had a real education and marketable skills by the time they hit the age of majority and got kicked out of the orphanage (because lol if you think any adoptions ever actually happen in india)

if a 10 year old kid shows up and he's totally illiterate and has never attended school a day in his life...they have to reject him because they're just not equipped to bring that sort of basket case up to speed.

i've been there when one of those kids comes by. it's...not easy to see a hunched over boy walk down the road having basically just been told he's hosed for life.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's good to hear that the wretched spirit of mother theresa doesn't haunt all indian christian orphanages

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Seems more likely that that number represents women having their first sexual encounter as a prostitute.
in my readings it also seems as many as 20% of korean girls prostitute at one time in their lives, similar to japan

so that would be very low

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Relin posted:

in my readings it also seems as many as 20% of korean girls prostitute at one time in their lives, similar to japan

so that would be very low

Most of the girls in Japan I went to school with were sexually active in What would be grade 8/ age 14 or so with their first boyfriends.

So by the time they were in highschool it was a trivial thing. That was a fancy sports private school too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bajaj posted:

I thought being vegetarian was optional in Hinduism? No beef but otherwise it was up to you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought being vegetarian was optional in Hinduism? No beef but otherwise it was up to you.

I can't speak definitively on the subject, but the vast majority of Hindus I've met in life were vegetarian, even the American ones. It probably does vary by sect, but it seems the common strain prefers not to eat meat.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

*Patient dies*

Meh

"People are alright with 'It was the will of God' when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow."

Feet of Clay, I think.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

"People are alright with 'It was the will of God' when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow."

Feet of Clay, I think.

Granny not eating anymore of your cows is a feature.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Coolguye posted:

one of the standards for the orphanage is that when kids left the orphanage they had real prospects to not have an unbearably miserable life. when a woman dropped a toddler off, they would accept the kid and make sure the kid had a real education and marketable skills by the time they hit the age of majority and got kicked out of the orphanage (because lol if you think any adoptions ever actually happen in india)

if a 10 year old kid shows up and he's totally illiterate and has never attended school a day in his life...they have to reject him because they're just not equipped to bring that sort of basket case up to speed.

i've been there when one of those kids comes by. it's...not easy to see a hunched over boy walk down the road having basically just been told he's hosed for life.

Isn't this letting the perfect be the enemy of the good? Seems harsh to kick the kid out on his rear end just because they won't be able to educate him well enough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ziv Zulander posted:

Isn't this letting the perfect be the enemy of the good? Seems harsh to kick the kid out on his rear end just because they won't be able to educate him well enough.

Yes, but you have it backwards: They're helping those who they realistically can, rather than trying to save all humanity and failing everywhere at once. It's basically Triage applied differently, but no less brutal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ziv Zulander posted:

admitting the kid would have been trying to be perfect. it is hard but important to stay focused on the goal of the institution. he would have been a constant disruption and distraction to the kids learning and they would have been able to do nothing but feed and clothe the kid until he hit majority, at which point he'd just be out on his rear end again. Any of a hundred other places could ostensibly do that - that's what most orphanages do. this orphanage is specifically set up to do everything possible break the cycle of poverty for the kids they look after. it's dangerous to pretend you can do that with any kid and try to be perfect at it when you actually can't - you need to be real and just be as good as you can be at it.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Because assuming they have pork sandwiches in India
As far as I've seen, especially in chain shops: No, they don't. I don't know who would be the market for that. Islam and Hindu majorities, but even seculars keep distance. You can still see hogs cleaning out the sewers and scarfing on human excrement depending on where you are. It's not the advertising foreign brands were hoping for.

quote:

when they see him handling beef?
LOL if you think these shops are selling that. Beef is banned in many states here, and foreign brands are careful to leave out anything that would offend (beef and pork). They are going to have the same menu across the country. McDonald's here doesn't sell hamburgers.
Regardless, many restaurants here put the green/red square with circle on their signs to advertise if they are veg or non-veg. Depending on where you are and the demographic there are going to be more of either option, but veg is many times still the majority. A lot of the poorest Muslims are like 90% vegetarian or eat veg because they can't afford meat.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's very easy to forget them in India. According to this website, Christians are only 2.3% of the population. http://censusindia.gov.in/Census_And_You/religion.aspx

Outside of majority Christian areas or cities, they are almost non-existent here. My current city has more than two million people, and Google tells me there are less than 20 churches. I know they won't all be listed, but the important thing about this is that not a single one of these churches are the same denomination as the next church. This is the issue of Christianity in India, where every Job, Joshua, and Harry came in with their specific brand of (usually American) Christianity. You're going to find every variety of Catholicism, Protestantism, Fundie, End-times, Fringe, and weird mish-mashes.

Some are preaching a bit more respectfully or doing classic public outreach, where others are just doing weird stuff. Some denomination's tactics to covert people are to show up in poor villages and promise people a monetary bonus and some household appliance if they convert. Suddenly a bunch of people people love Jesus. It's a Christmas miracle. My friend was telling me how it was happening in all of the villages in his area. People would take the money (like 10k rupees a family, or $150), go to a couple sessions, and then forget about it. Many would join because they were promised free meals if they stuck around, and it was cheaper to pretend you were Christian than to go buy vegetables. It's just bribery, but I've heard this method come up quite a bit by my South Indian friends.
The common one I heard was they would come rolling in with all those donations from white people wanting to save the heathens and then make schools for them, but teach them a curriculum designed to put the Fear of God into them and give them a shoddy-at-best education to make sure they hate fags and will go to hell if they eat food cooked by Hindus. They're going to learn reading and writing, but also a ton of whatever-denomination stuff to go with it. It's less about the education and more about shaping their minds at that age.

Without foreign money being pumped in, their numbers would be much lower than they are now. It really depends on the area, because some denominations have more control in areas than others. Some of the groups target the middle-class exclusively, and depending on where you are you might see more churches in areas where people have more money than not.
It's the same with Islam in many ways, where foreign (Saudi) money builds masjids and madrassahs in areas where there are none. It happened in one town I lived in years ago. I walked by the new buildings and saw painted on the gates something like "Paid for with kind donations by Muhammad ibn Salman Qureyshi (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)." Indians always put the donors name/s right on everything for the public to see, and after that I started paying attention to those things and noticed a lot of their schools and prayer houses were paid for by groups or people from Saudi Arabia. It also doesn't help that the masjid and madrassah paid for my Saudis in that town was most likely Wahhabist bullshit, because a year later the occasional bomb was going off and everyone in the place knew who was doing it.

My latest experience with Indian Christians is almost being run over on my bike by a huge church tour van with JESUS IS ALWAYS RIGHT printed on the windshield. I thought it was a pretty good slogan.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

It depends. Hindusim has a billion sects. Many advocate totally abstaining from meat because of the purpose of karma and/or not pissing off the god you worship. It's mainly about karmic load. Everything you eat bring karma with it. You get very little karma for killing a sugar cane stalk, but huge if you kill a cow, etc. I forgot where I read this, but it was basically "It's the law of the universe that each living thing must eat another living thing to survive." By using karma, they understand that there is always hierarchy, and it always matters. They never thought plant life is just matter. Life always has a value, because going through samsara means the soul spends time in each type of body again and again (such as tree, worm, whale, dog, human, and even lower-case god). I might be a human right now, but my karmic load (like a bank account balance or debt) could dictate my next birth to be as a fish. Then I have to cycle through that. Human is the top of the list because a human has the ability to absolve karmic debt and break out of the cycle of birth and death. When in the animal body, the soul gains no karma because animals are controlled by their animal nature. Human body isn't, it allows for full choice, so we are held responsible. We even have the option to work up to becoming a god or living with the lower-case G's, because they are all temporary just like everything else in the material world.

Anyway, many Hindus eat fish, goat, chicken, eggs. Many of these people don't follow anything, but call themselves Hindu the way an atheist Jew might call himself a Jew. It's a family tradition, and India loves identifiers. They might not have the slightest clue what any of the teachings or books said, but they will say "I am Hindu and I eat beef!" without understanding that neither Shiva nor Vishnu would accept that. Some gods, such as Kali might on the surface, but then you find texts where she loathes her followers for being so ignorant and sacrificing improper things (such as people).
There is even a tradition called the Das Avatars, or 10 incarnations of Vishnu, where Buddha is included because at the time people were using the Vedas as proof to do "sacrifice" of animals to eat them, and Buddha got many people to abandon the Vedas and stop using them as an excuse to kill.
The Vedas do make a clause about each caste being able to do what and eat what, and some castes are permitted to eat meat, hunt, etc. It's different than what we consider now, where people want to eat meat at every meal.

It's hard to say in modern times, but the karmic load for killing is pretty clear. This applies to killing animals, as well as humans, but it's basically the person who kills and the person who pays or sells for the product of the killing or for the killing itself all get the same karma. So if you're making a meat sandwich at Subway, you are directly involved in the selling of the meat (and giving reason to kill the animal), therefore you get the karma for it. Hindus who follow vegetarian lifestyle will avoid doing activities that require something like that. When using that type of karmic thinking, it goes all the way back to the origin and where responsibility lies in the future.

If you're following a majority of Hindu sects and actually do follow, being vegetarian is not optional. If you're secular but claim to be Hindu, then you get the option of confusing everyone else when you tell them that you go worship Vishnu and still eat beef.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 27, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WarpedNaba posted:

Feet of Clay, I think.

Getting rid of the old and especially in-laws is a phantastic thing. Especially regarding the stories about indian mothers in law.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please post a menu from McDonald's India.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

peanut posted:

Please post a menu from McDonald's India.

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/burgers.aspx

veggie mcmuffin: corn and onions for breakfast, fuckkkkk

"Grilled veggie patty, with soft mushy spinach at the core along with tender corn, uniquely baked to have a crisp exterior and a soft & tender interior. Additionally spiced up with tangy mint mayonnaise, tomatoes and onions to give you not just a good morning, but a SUPREME morning!"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd eat everything on there :peanut:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

peanut posted:

I'd eat everything on there :peanut:

Agreed. That looks amazing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I would like an McEgg.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Did they know the mosques were to blame through evidence or was it just an assumption?

Eating beef while being Hindu sounds very western. Have you ever had an argument with a beef eating Hindu about it before?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Filet-O-Fish, Filet-O-Fish never changes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Did they know the mosques were to blame through evidence or was it just an assumption?

Eating beef while being Hindu sounds very western. Have you ever had an argument with a beef eating Hindu about it before?

My wife now loves beef but still eats veg-only on Thursday (Visnu's day). :shrug:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/burgers.aspx

veggie mcmuffin: corn and onions for breakfast, fuckkkkk

"Grilled veggie patty, with soft mushy spinach at the core along with tender corn, uniquely baked to have a crisp exterior and a soft & tender interior. Additionally spiced up with tangy mint mayonnaise, tomatoes and onions to give you not just a good morning, but a SUPREME morning!"

oh my God I need one of these

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/burgers/chicken-maharaja-mac.aspx

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

"However, remember to have time on your hands when you pick this burger, its superlative richness takes time to devour. "

with a tagline like that, you pretty much have to eat it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started my new job today with a bunch of Hong Kongers, an Indian and a mainlander. The mainlander asked if I wanted some water. When he brought it to me I delightfully find he isn't going to be one of those empty brain poo poo heels this thread runs into endlessly as he offers me cold water saying I am Kiwi and I don't do the "Hot water is for healthy" poo poo.

Good man. I am going to like this job.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope you're happy at your new job, oohhboy

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
He probably just understands that your biology is different outlander

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He comes from a different hemisphere, so his yin is yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharnifex posted:

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.

Kharnifex posted:

:lol: Hot water is not for the healthy for me as it burns me so very much. I have truly gone native, the outlander.

• Locked thread