Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

black.lion posted:

I saw something about this earlier but I'm a lowly level 5 so far or something, so: There are things in skill tree I shouldn't be taking as a warlock? What things is these? Can I get a concise list of "do not do" things as I'm leveling my warlock? I don't want to ruin him, he is pretty with neat hair.

If you are not sure, this seems to be the common link.

"Does it change how your super works? DON'T TAKE IT!" Not the soft harmless passive buffs, the no takebacks overhauls of how your super works. Hunter has two of the drat things, but I can't recall any complaints or warnings about Titans.

Warlock wise beyond your super, there are mixed feelings on the stuff that makes you slowly float through the air.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

black.lion posted:

I saw something about this earlier but I'm a lowly level 5 so far or something, so: There are things in skill tree I shouldn't be taking as a warlock? What things is these? Can I get a concise list of "do not do" things as I'm leveling my warlock? I don't want to ruin him, he is pretty with neat hair.
Warlock is fine. It's Hunter you have to worry about. Don't unlock the last perks in the top tree of the Gunslinger class or the bottom tree of the Nightstalker class

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm super into slow floating so I'll just leave stuff alone that foxes with my super, thanks.

Is there a compelling reason to save my "level up" points instead of investing them in the very predetermined order in which the skills unlock, as I gain levels?

e: Word up I'll never play a hunter bc I love floating too much so that's cool

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

black.lion posted:

I'm super into slow floating so I'll just leave stuff alone that foxes with my super, thanks.

Is there a compelling reason to save my "level up" points instead of investing them in the very predetermined order in which the skills unlock, as I gain levels?

When you unlock a new subclass it uses the same skill point pool, so saving some skill points lets you max it out immediately, if you want.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

black.lion posted:

e: Word up I'll never play a hunter

The content in this game is so sparse that it really is important to be able to do it 3x per week. Also, it is genuinely Fun to play all 9 subclasses.

I wouldn't blame you if you waited until they hand out some "Auto Complete Campaign" item though

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

black.lion posted:

Mostly if you know you will like one of the subclasses you will unlock later more, so can dump a bunch of points in at once. You will get enough points for everything though (keep an eye out for sidemissions that reward upgrade points too if you want them faster). So the entire concern is the no takebacks "Well guess my super is hosed now" stuff.

Also, unless it's an unintended quirk, I noticed when I got Gunslinger back (as you start the intro with it, but then lose it and get Arcstrider as your "first" subclass). It doesn't make you pay to unlock your alternate grenade and jumptypes, like it does with the other subclasses. Arcstrider is still demanding I shell out a point for triple jump for example.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 26, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But also... have fun. Strikes are a slow, slow source of Light upgrades, but they're worth checking out.

Adventures are slower than Public Events and Lost Sectors, but they provide 69% of the story and lore in the game, and are just neat.

Don't worry TOOOO much about your Optimal Path to 265 because it'll happen pretty drat fast no matter what.

Yeah I will, I'm trying to avoid strikes for the most part until tomorrow since I'm on call, and if something goes wrong I'll just have to abandon my group

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's not a grind after a month. There's nothing meaningful to do after a month. There is no grind.

Jesus christ dude, spoiler that poo poo. :argh:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hell yeah

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Look, there's a lot of salty console players on SA and they're personally offended someone somewhere is enjoying playing Destiny 2.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

eonwe posted:

Yeah I will, I'm trying to avoid strikes for the most part until tomorrow since I'm on call, and if something goes wrong I'll just have to abandon my group

Nah don't worry about that, just go ahead and do the strikes! Nobody minds in matchmaking if you have to go suddenly. Players are replaced very quickly (within a minute). You won't get punished or penalized for dropping strike groups.

Chain running strikes is good fun, don't forget to buy a fireteam medallion from Everiss (lady vendor to your left when you zone in at the tower social space main area) for that extra loot and glimmer.

The strike-exclusive vanguard tokens can give some really good gear too. The scout rifle, pulse rifle and assault rifle are all extremely strong.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 26, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

qbert posted:

Look, there's a lot of salty console players on SA and they're personally offended someone somewhere is enjoying playing Destiny 2.

Yeah this, definitely this. I'm extremely mad at the dudes playing and not mad at Bungie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

qbert posted:

Bungie has recently proven to actually not be worthless about listening to feedback.

Personally I think it's good to call out the Bullshit stuff rather than be in denial about what's bad, so there's a chance of improvement.

I even think we can do this while playing and enjoying the game!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

black.lion posted:

For warlock people are of two minds about the Cataclysm perk in the top voidwalker tree that turns your nova bomb into a huge fuckoff orb that moves hella slow but hits hella hard and sends out trackers on explosion. It's not great for pvp but I love it in PvE. If you're gonna play pvp on your voidwalker and use the top tree I would probably not unlock it.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Would it be possible to open a Destiny 2 PC thread only for people who enjoy Destiny 2, thanks

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah this, definitely this. I'm extremely mad at the dudes playing and not mad at Bungie.

Yeah but it's like standing up at a wedding and loudly proclaiming the couple's never gonna last.

It may be true but you could like, let people enjoy the moment for a little bit before reminding them what a bad purchasing decision they just made.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Okay since I'm sitting in a waiting room for a delay I'm gonna type up something that's extremely good and fun in D2.

Sweet Business. It's an exotic kinetic AR that's actually a minigun, with a spin up barrel, a huge mag and an increasing rate of fire as you hold the trigger down. It's a shining example of Bungie learning lessons from D1 about how to make an exotic that feels powerful, changes the way you play, and CAN be powerful in PvP without being OP.

Lots of exotics in D1 with flat out better than legendaries, which made balancing pvp a pita and made for stale metas. The reason Sweet Business owns is that it IS flat out better than ARs, but only after you spin it up. So you can't just go around lighting fools up in PvP. But if you work within its limits and pre-fire to get the RoF up (which will probably expose your position, so there's a tradeoff) you can actually light people up. It just takes planning.

More importantly, it's loving fun to shoot. It's great to use in PvE and even has a nifty little bonus of refilling the mag if you're shooting while walking over an ammo pickup.

On titans, you can combine it with the Actium War Rig for the best exotic combo in the game aside from MIDA/Foetracer. War rig reflls 10% of your mag every few seconds, so you can shoot forever. Again, this doesn't reduce the encounter TTK in PvP, but it can be an advantage to not have to reload as frequently, especially given the nature of D2 teamshot battles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nah don't worry about that, just go ahead and do the strikes! Nobody minds in matchmaking if you have to go suddenly. Players are replaced very quickly (within a minute). You won't get punished or penalized for dropping strike groups.

Chain running strikes is good fun, don't forget to buy a fireteam medallion from Everiss (lady vendor to your left when you zone in at the tower social space main area) for that extra loot and glimmer.

The strike-exclusive vanguard tokens can give some really good gear too. The scout rifle, pulse rifle and assault rifle are all extremely strong.

wait I didn't even know there was stuff you could get to get extra loot besides the clan banner

neat

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I run Sweet Business + Uriel's + Actium War Rig on my Titan for PvE and it's fantastic. Never ever having to reload my weapons is so relaxing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

qbert posted:

I run Sweet Business + Uriel's + Actium War Rig on my Titan for PvE and it's fantastic. Never ever having to reload my weapons is so relaxing.

Same but The Number with increased mag

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I'm a loving idiot.. I didn't know there's a titan shield throw..

With default keyboard bindings, what are the titan subclass super binds?

I don't know the default keybindings but:

Grenade throw = shield throw, melee = shield bash, block = block

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

There's an destroy the anti air flak gun adventure that unlocks right before the final story missions and it starts out with the good guys telling you how the red legion beefed up the base after you took care of Ghaul. Nice continuity, already counting on me beating the final boss.

They are talking about Thumos, the guy you killed inside the carrier, not Ghaul.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a question.

I picked up the exotic chest armor (I'm pretty sure it's the Actium War Rig) for my first exotic quest reward, at like level 7. It's the chest armor that passively refills ammo for my auto rifles. Assuming there's nothing else in the game that does it, that's the exotic I grabbed.

Eventually I want Sweet Business because miniguns are the best. So should I keep that Exotic around and just infuse it with poo poo whenever I can? Or will I need to like, find a higher level version or something?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

khy posted:

Eventually I want Sweet Business because miniguns are the best. So should I keep that Exotic around and just infuse it with poo poo whenever I can? Or will I need to like, find a higher level version or something?

Infuse it, you shouldn't need to replace it until Bungie pulls some Bungie-rear end Bungie poo poo.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

You can infuse that all the way up to 305, you're good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

khy posted:

I have a question.

I picked up the exotic chest armor (I'm pretty sure it's the Actium War Rig) for my first exotic quest reward, at like level 7. It's the chest armor that passively refills ammo for my auto rifles. Assuming there's nothing else in the game that does it, that's the exotic I grabbed.

Keep it and eventually you can infuse it up by feeding it higher gear. Like if you find a chest piece that's 205 and feed it into the Actium, that'll turn into 205.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Roman posted:

You can infuse that all the way up to 305, you're good.

Technically 350, but there's no gear in the game that high you can use for infusion materials. :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

khy posted:

I have a question.

You can infuse the chest with a higher ilevel chest - I would strongly recommend you hold onto the chest you have because I'm fairly sure it came with a +5 power mod when you got it during the campaign. That means it's already 5 levels over its stated level. Bear with me here, because that means it's really 5 levels higher than what it says. So if you infuse a 200 chest into your low level Actium War Rig, it will become 205.

It's confusing but when it clicks in practice you'll see what I mean.

Basically if you ever find any pieces of gear with +5 mods on them DO NOT SHARD THEM. They are crucial to helping you get to higher light levels since the mods are so difficult to come by. So many players have sharded items with +5 mods in them without realizing it.

Also, all exotics you find in the game will be retrievable from kiosks in your social space - once you've acquired an exotic you can make as many copies of it as you want, costing you legendary shards to generate another one. It's account-wide too.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

qbert posted:

You're goddamn right.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't know the default keybindings but:

Grenade throw = shield throw, melee = shield bash, block = block

Holy poo poo, I had no idea you could do this either. :psyduck:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey if I'm new to this game are there any tips to not gently caress up things that can't be undone?

- Are respecs cheap?

- Should I always identify these engram things as soon as I get them?

- Is there any way to buyback at a shop if I buy something by accident?

- Should I always dismantle common drops or is there anything better I can do with them? Can you even trade with other players in the game?

Anything else I should make sure to do or not do as I get rolling?

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

holy pixel count fatman!

mah framez!!!!!!!1

:chanpop:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Hey if I'm new to this game are there any tips to not gently caress up things that can't be undone?

- Are respecs cheap?

- Should I always dismantle common drops or is there anything better I can do with them? Can you even trade with other players in the game?

Respecs are free and instantaneous. I assume you're referring to subclass perks.

Yeah just turn in your engrams when you find them. The exception is powerful engram rewards from milestones which you shouldn't pick up until the end of the week when you're at your highest power level.

There's no selling poo poo to shops. You can dismantle stuff for money though.

No trading. Fine to dismantle non-legendary poo poo that's lower than what you have equipped.

The only tip worth mentioning is gear will stop dropping higher than your current power at 265, and the only way to get higher after that is Powerful Engrams and Exotic Engrams.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

- Are respecs cheap?

- Respecs are free - you just select your 'path' from the talent tree. If you want to change your elemental spec, you can simply equip it like a piece of gear.

- For drops ingame, the game will take into account your ilevel including all gear and engrams not equipped or identified so there's no rush to identify them.

- No refunds in the game. Lots of players have spent thousands of shards on new Drangs. lol @ them

- The only thing you shouldn't dismantle ASAP are 5 blue quality scout rifles, since there's a sidequest later in the game that requires you to dismantle 5 of them to progress.

You may have noticed milestones that reward 'powerful gear', they basically just mean 'gear that breaks the softcap' - don't hand those quests in until you have reached level 265. If you don't reach 265 by next reset (every Tuesday) the game will give and identify the engrams on your behalf anyway.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea you could do this either. :psyduck:

I found out last night that I could throw the shield. I was in a group and my partner made mention of it, so I went into the skill tree and yup. Right there. I never saw it.

Also gently caress the EDZ it's boring and lame, Titan is awesome and the best.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you don't reach 265 by next reset (every Tuesday) the game will give and identify the engrams on your behalf anyway.

No poo poo? I didn't know that. Do they show up in your postmaster?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think so yeah. The gist of it is to stop characters hoarding powerful engrams.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JorgeHWB posted:

holy pixel count fatman!

mah framez!!!!!!!1

:chanpop:

I did a lovely printscreen and then uploaded it with some worse compression my b

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

qbert posted:

Yeah just turn in your engrams when you find them. The exception is powerful engram rewards from milestones which you shouldn't pick up until the end of the week when you're at your highest power level.

When does the Destiny week end? Tuesday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

black.lion posted:

When does the Destiny week end? Tuesday?

Tuesday 2AM pacific.

• Locked thread