Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Panzeh posted:

The Nazis accused partisans of all of these things.

:ssh: They actually did disappear people randomly the moment anyone tattled them as having so much as said anything tangentially against "Brotherhood and Unity" and other very lovely things.

Not that that negated any of the lovely things the Nazis did either though, obviously. But has anything the PKK did resulted in any kind of political concessions so far (or at least could've been argued to), not quite to the extent obviously but in the vein of the Good Friday agreement with the IRA?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
oh my god the giant fraud initiative has a loving youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXEQ3MCLUTyUv_Hk_XLyC6g/videos

Wow it's like they invited every hack, crook, wall street shits, fraudsters and libertarian vampires and put them all under one building.

JESUS CHRIST PETER loving THEIL WAS INVITED gently caress THIS loving COUNTRY

CANT WAIT TO BECOME A BLOOD BAG FOR THE WEALTHY.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/abdullahawez/status/923606201996279809

"Our moron dictator can't leave because uh everyone loves him and wants him to stay."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CrazyLoon posted:

But has anything the PKK did resulted in any kind of political concessions so far

Yes, but Erdogan rolled all of it back when the Kurds didn't vote for him in the legislative. Then he had to start the elections over from scratch after putting all the HDP people in jail and sending the army to randomly destroy some of the Kurdish villages where he got the least votes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/OleSolvang/status/923648618057359360

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this thread is nearly as broken as the middle east

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

JESUS CHRIST PETER loving THEIL WAS INVITED gently caress THIS loving COUNTRY

CANT WAIT TO BECOME A BLOOD BAG FOR THE WEALTHY.

Your desiccated corpse will be given an appropriate free-market price for your blood.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this thread is nearly as broken as the middle east

Unless the Middle East keeps displaying 1 unread comment, I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The first post on every page disappears in exactly the same way hope has disappeared from the region. Bad forums coding as metacommentary.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

A Saudi man announced a bold project for the thread of tomorrow and solicited international posting investment, but the project has now dragged on well past its deadline and we haven't seen any results.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

loving Seymour Hersh.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Duckbox posted:

A Saudi man announced a bold project for the thread of tomorrow and solicited international posting investment, but the project has now dragged on well past its deadline and we haven't seen any results.
I blame Qatar.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

loving Seymour Hersh.

I like how he's just not bothering to defend his work. He probably knows it's poo poo but welp time to move on. Don't want to dwell on the past where he's totally loving wrong.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/923665758814646273

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Duckbox posted:

I'm sorry. I'm piecing it piece by piece and taking my time. when would you actually want it to be done?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hezbollah has captured T2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir6Fplu2u0k

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm sorry. I'm piecing it piece by piece and taking my time. when would you actually want it to be done?

Obviously, we can't set a time table for withdrawing from this thread because then our enemies will know our plans and then we get ISIS'd.

So no worries.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Brown Moses posted:

loving Seymour Hersh.

Weird how all his apologists in this thread have disappeared.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sergg posted:

They'll be back. They always come back. Usually it takes some story about evil Americans to do it though. I'm not sure any of them really care about MENA the rest of the time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sergg posted:

They're in the C-SPAM Middle East thread.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sergg posted:

They'll be back after the next chemical attack.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

wooo boy that thread looks like a dumpster fire

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good God, that exists?

E. It's bad.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 27, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
As opposed to this extremely good thread? :rolleyes:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Typical Goon posted:

As opposed to this extremely good thread? :rolleyes:

If people from CSPAM would stop crossposting, it would be a lot better.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Volkerball posted:

If people from CSPAM would stop crossposting, it would be a lot better.

Actually this thread would be a lot better without the lovely neoconservatives warmongers but ymmv

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/923907904863899648

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is Turkey actually doing anything meaningful in Idlib aside from opening another front against the Afrin Kurds? I'm just kind of wondering what Assad and Russia actually got out of it, aside from (maybe) a long term deal to hand over territory Turkey secures back to the regime. I guess the regime could be satisfied with letting Turkey punish the YPG for the SDF's successes in securing the oil fields east of DeZ too/using the threat that Turkey could conquer Afrin as an incentive to try to force concessions from the SDF.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 27, 2017

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I was doing a clinical in Dearborn, Michigan yesterday and I spoke with a Lebanese doctor who identifies as half-Shia, half-Alawite. Really interesting guy. He said he didn't support the Syrian government and he even told the other nurses in the room why the Syrian revolution happened and what Bashar's relative said to the grieving families of Deraa in 2011. He said sectarian tensions run so deeply in the community that many Sunni Arab doctors won't even speak to him or associate with him when they find out he's half Alawite, despite the fact that he's lived in the United States since he was a child.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/rmslim/status/923937526133547010

Always the diplomat.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The OPCW-UN JIM report on Khan Sheikhoun has been leaked early. They consulted multiple experts and organisations, and examined claims like an IED was used, etc, with the experts saying they're basically bullshit. The most interesting thing is the details of the chemistry of the Sarin used. They say it has at least 3 unique chemical markers that match with the Sarin precursors from samples they took of the Syrian governments Sarin precursor stockpile, and would have required significant facilities to produce.

I did a little Twitter thread on it here
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/923943355217862656

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Brown Moses posted:

The OPCW-UN JIM report on Khan Sheikhoun has been leaked early. They consulted multiple experts and organisations, and examined claims like an IED was used, etc, with the experts saying they're basically bullshit. The most interesting thing is the details of the chemistry of the Sarin used. They say it has at least 3 unique chemical markers that match with the Sarin precursors from samples they took of the Syrian governments Sarin precursor stockpile, and would have required significant facilities to produce.

I did a little Twitter thread on it here
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/923943355217862656

You and I discussed hexamine back when this started, did I mention my department (University of Toronto, Chemical Engineering) library had a book from the 1920s that discussed making mustard gas and what materials to use to make it safely and in volume?

Never ask a chemist to do a chemical engineer's work.

And it'll be a cold day in Hell before they admit error to DK.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Did a whole bloody post about the report leak:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2017/10/27/opcw-un-jims-leaked-report-khan-sheikhoun-tells-us-russias-denials-syrias-sarin/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Saudi Arabia gives Virgin Galactic a free billion dollars.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/27/saudi-arabia-1-billion-investment-virgin-space-tourim/

Richard Branson gets to buy another private Island, while Scholarships for saudi students to study abroad got cut massively. also Iran who have gently caress all in terms of money has a missile program and drone making capability totally in-house because they educated the poo poo out of their population and spared no expense.

Way to invest in the future you loving retards.

I'm STILL loving mad about that citizenship loving stunt with the robot, what loving callousness.

anyways, here's a transcript of bloombergs interview with MbS:-

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-26/saudi-arabia-crown-prince-details-plans-for-new-city-transcript

also check out this loving quote:-

quote:

MBS: And this is the great thing. When you look at any city around the world, for example New York, you will find the laws serving everyone, the people, the companies, so they try to put something in place that benefits everyone. But Neom you have no one there, so the regulations will be based on the needs of companies and the investors. So the people will come there only for three reasons: if you are an investor, if you are employed in one of the projects, if you are a tourist. If you’re not one of those three, you will not be in Neom. So the rules and regulation will be designed to make this grow very fast. So imagine if you are the governor of New York without having any popular (public) demands, how much you would be able to create for the companies and private sector.

Bloomberg: Does that mean Saudis will be able to access it freely?

MBS: [English] They will not go to Neom and sleep on the street. If they go to Neom, they have to have a room in a hotel or they have a house or an apartment in Neom.

Bloomberg: Can they own an apartment without working there?

MBS: Of course. We call this an investor.

Bloomberg: If I am Saudi or a foreigner and want to live in Neom?

MBS: More than welcome.

Bloomberg: But I have to buy there?

MBS: You have to buy. That means you’re spending energy, you’re spending money in retail, you’re spending money in entertainment. You are an investor and a tourist at the same time.

Jesus loving Christ.

Allah Almighty.

Neom:- City of the future late stage barbaric capitalism-by-gunpoint, Today! So Exclusive, even saudi's cant go there willy nilly! Like New York, but without those pesky human beings getting in your way!

Kill Me!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Im a bit surprised at Branson getting more money since I heard that the Saudi investors were gonna pull out unless the ship got into orbit by the end of last year.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Is there an opportunity for graft or embezzlement in this investment? Because that seems to the only question that matters.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Duckbox posted:

Is there an opportunity for graft or embezzlement in this investment? Because that seems to the only question that matters.

If its anything like the gulf region (not saudia) then a 1 year project will go through 3-4 contractors at least and run beyond the original budget and time by 5 times and then by the end after everyones looted the project the royalty gets involved and hire a real firm to finish it. :v:

And they only do it to save face at this point.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 28, 2017

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
That part of the world is rumoured to have better dive sites than nearby Sharm. A shiny resort combining the best aspects of Dubai and Sharm would not be a bad thing. Tourist visits to Nabatean ruins and the wonderful terrain of the Arabian shield would be a bonus.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Fairly passive posted:

That part of the world is rumoured to have better dive sites than nearby Sharm. A shiny resort combining the best aspects of Dubai and Sharm would not be a bad thing. Tourist visits to Nabatean ruins and the wonderful terrain of the Arabian shield would be a bonus.

Don't worry all the Nabataen ruins will be safely bulldozed by the time tourists get there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is really cool.

https://twitter.com/arisroussinos/status/924207617114886144

Unrelated, but a new debate rages.

https://twitter.com/KRGWatch/status/924272483393564673

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i feel like we're way overdue for someone to turn up and accuse al-saqr of being a saudi mouthpiece.

• Locked thread