Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really want to eventually be a developer too. Finally getting some programming other than Powershell and Excel (if you can call making a super complicated report programming) under my belt would open that door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

What do you want to do?

I know that's a hard question to answer in the very beginning when you're not even entirely sure what the hype behind a particular technology is. I know nothing about your work environment or what your workloads are.

The power of containers is the automation tooling surrounding them. A plain old docker file running somewhere doing something being handled by systemd or whatever is actually pretty boring. I guess you might be able to make things a bit quicker by pulling down an haproxy container file from a public repo or whatever, but that's not the point.

Containers are great because they are the perfect primitive for building upon. What can be built ontop of containers? Immutable infrastructures, applications that can be deployed with all of their dependencies bundled with them, intelligent automatic resource scheduling, CI/CD pipelines, blue/green deployments off the top of my head.

The reality is if you're the kind of windows admin that I was, the value isn't there for you. Whatever it was that I did at previous jobs had literally zero use whatsoever for any of the concepts I just named. But maybe you're not the kind of windows I was, or you don't want to be. If you don't know what you want out of containers, or more importantly, the larger superset that containers are part of, other than that you want them; that is is perfectly okay.

A good place to start is to just make an account with either Google Compute platform or AWS. I'm actually going to recommend GCP here. I've been spending an awful lot of time recently immersed in GCP and it's very approachable compared to AWS. Kubernetes is also a Google product and thus is as first class citizen in GCP.

Great, you've made your account and are ready to start. Here is where that hard question comes in, what do you want to do. You're entering here ~Devops~ territory. You're not a windows admin anymore working with pre-packaged applications that are built for you. In Devops land being familiar and comfortable with software development is now an unavoidable necessity because delivering software that your organization produces is the point. So, naturally I guess the first thing to do is write a hello world micro-service application in the language of your choice. Golang, nodejs, python, ruby. Pick one and follow a guide on the internet.

Your hello world application can be simple, but use many pieces. Find a guide that involves multiple external components, maybe Redis or MySQL. Say ultimately you get 5 pieces to your new micro-service oriented distributed system. A front end, a piece dedicated to db access, something in the background that handled logging, maybe an internal request router, maybe something that procedurally generates a bitmap image, a message bus, redis and your DB daemon. Now, it's time to publish your application to the world. Each micro service is self contained and stateless which means they are a perfect fit for being in a container!

But wait, writing and developing code is hard. The code you write sucks and is actually full of bugs. What a perfect time to set up a CI/CD pipeline to make your software developer lives easier. Like any good developer you've been using Git as your version control system. Why not build a Jenkins server, in a container naturally https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/jenkins/, that will automatically build, compile and test your code for you every time you commit a branch? Jenkins can spawn MORE containers where your code will be built and be ran against synthetic tests you write to be sure you haven't introduced regressions. https://techbeacon.com/beginners-guide-kick-starting-your-ci-pipeline-jenkins

Finally: you have a sane build system like any good developer, your code is bug free and ready for the world. Maybe you start off pushing the containers produced by Jenkins to your VMs by hand, because hey, theres only like 7 of them right? But you continue to grow and your app is pretty popular. It's starting to get hard and expensive to provision all the necessary machines you need to power your bitmap generator. You notice that your application has clearly defined times of the week of peak traffic. Wouldn't it be great if you could size the amount of compute resources you were buying from Google according to your real time traffic load? Enter: Kubernetes.

Kubernetes is a Big Deal. It's actually the technology that is underlying Google's Container Engine that's been open sourced.
Kubernetes, is a system for managing containerized applications across a cluster of nodes. Explicitly designed to address the disconnect between the way that modern, distributed systems are designed and the underlying physical infrastructure. Applications comprised of different services should still be managed as a single application (when it makes sense). Kubernetes provides a layer over the infrastructure to allow for this type of management. Scaling traffic up and down according to load. Logically grouping containers together, software defined networking and so much more are now possible.

Logically grouping containers together: maybe it just always makes sense for your bitmap generated to have 4 micro-services in running on the same host to minimize InterProcess Communication (IPC) latency. Kubernetes can do that. Maybe you always want X amount of microservices running on different underlying hardware to be resilient to datacenter mishaps. Kubernetes can do that. Since Kubernetes is now infront of your apps providing load balancing services, you can do things like blue/green deployments. Lets say parts of your application are stateful, how do you deploy new code? How about just building an entire new parallel environment that you send new users to while the existing stateful sessions just naturally drain off of the old environment. How about running as many versions of the code you write at once?

Containers are the fundamental unit making up larger systems. This is why saying you want to do containers or devops is meaningless. Because it's not something you apt-get install or curl | bash. Devops is to technology-focused companies as the scientific method was to chemists.

This is why containers and the Devops concept/mentality/paradigm/thing is useless to the kind of internal IT windows admin that I was. We didn't write code, we didn't open source software that we were empowered to orchestrate. Running large distributed systems was not our business. If you want to 'get in on this container thing' you need to evaluate what you're doing with it. Maybe you're not satisfied with being an internal windows admin anymore and thats why you're interested. Excellent! The new world of online services is big and scary, but it's here, and more accessible than ever. Join a mailing list! Go to the Kubernetes github and open every link in a tab and read it all! Write your hello world app! Learn to program! (I've got another huge rant about 'learn to program') Read my posts!
this is a hella solid effortpost

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

What do you want to do?
[snip for size]

This is a very good post and thank you for making it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Peachfart posted:

I like the salary range. A range of 62k-65k says to me 'Stingy company that isn't willing to negotiate on salary.'
And that is possibly an appropriate payscale for somewhere in the Midwest, in a small city. lol if it is on either coast or in a metro area.

It's in the South, but I feel like they need to tack on an extra 20k because dealing with the IT manager there is herculean itself.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm in a proselytizing mood.

I have a vehicle. Someone tell me where to go and when and I'll be there.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methanar posted:

I'm in a proselytizing mood.

I have a vehicle. Someone tell me where to go and when and I'll be there.

Executive decision. State&Main, downtown on Jasper and 101st. Shortly after 13:00 (say 13:15?)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
13 15 it is.

I'll be the nerd with a plaid jacket and shirt with tan pants.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 26, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Sorry to miss this! Co-worker has an appointment at 1 I only just learned.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sorry to miss this! Co-worker has an appointment at 1 I only just learned.

Next time, friend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Peachfart posted:

I like the salary range. A range of 62k-65k says to me 'Stingy company that isn't willing to negotiate on salary.'
And that is possibly an appropriate payscale for somewhere in the Midwest, in a small city. lol if it is on either coast or in a metro area.

That's on the high end for podunk midwest.

IT Director
xxxxxxx - Bay City, MI
$40,000 - $60,000 a year

Bring your smarts and positive energy to a growing conglomerate in the Great Lakes Bay Region! Headquartered in Bay City, our team supports a variety of companies including but not limited to: xxxxxxx. As IT Manager, you will be expected to take care of the following duties:

Supervise the company’s computer, network infrastructure and internet connectivity.
Data management of sensitive consumer data, maintain privacy and confidentiality.
Manage and troubleshoot CRM tools, ring central, and BDC phone systems.
Troubleshooting for down equipment or services.
Conducting formal risk assessments for new systems and significant system revisions.
Establishing security and risk management programs.
Providing leadership and guidance in IT and enterprise risks to business owners and agency staff.
Providing leadership in the areas of problem identification and resolution, answering inquiries, providing guidance, troubleshooting, and ensuring follow-up on all issues to the team.
Assisting with the selection and purchase of cost-effective equipment, security and IT needs.
Researching and identifing new tools, programs and platforms that support improved efficiency for office staff.
Managing and tracking asset (software, hardware) inventory
Replacement, installation, and support of laptop, desktop, PC, printers, phones and other similar devices.
Developing standard operating procedures, processes, and guidelines pertaining to technical support.
Managing relationships with third-party vendors as it pertains to IT.
Overseeing and monitor IT budgets and contracts.

Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or other related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $40,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year

Required education:

Bachelor's

Required experience:

IT: 3 years

The worst thing is most places don't even list a salary so you end up wasting a bunch of time to find out they want to pay poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methanar posted:

13 15 it is.

I'll be the nerd with a plaid jacket and shirt with tan pants.

Dunno why I PM'd you. Tall nerd in blue sweater and black jacket. Gonna be a regular mardi gras wooo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

IT Director
xxxxxxx - Bay City, MI
$40,000 - $60,000 a year

It is stuff like this though that reminds me how wildly responsibilities vary from position to position. I see IT directors for a department of 3 and then I think about our IT director who oversees I want to say about 25,000 VMs and it just boggles my mind that they're the same title.

It makes me wonder if the following is a good career shortcut. Jump from a big enterprise "play with all the new technology" tools position like I have, straight into a small shop director role. It'd seem like a god drat vacation at this point. Then use that 'director' title to pivot right back into big enterprise now that you are a director. Instant ladder climb.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Today I had lunch with a former coworker of mine, who stayed behind when I got out a couple of years ago. A little background: this is at a bank, she's the SME and primary admin for an application that deals with lending. The system she works on sends information to loan purchasers throughout the loan's lifecycle. One of the documents it sends includes a bunch of information about the loan, dates, amounts, and some IDs that can be used to identify it. One of the fields included on that document uses the primary key of a record in the database, rather than whatever internal ID the loan processors assign to it.

A customer called in to complain about one of these documents. The ID listed on this loan document? 666

Her director ended up screaming at her for about 15 minutes about how inappropriate this was, how the vendor could have possibly missed this in their code, etc. She got fed up and walked off, and her boss was eventually able to calm the director down. They ended up going to the vendor for an emergency hotfix to make sure that 666 would never be displayed on a loan document again.

I asked what would happen when they got to 6666 :v:

Hail IT Satan!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Screaming for 15 minutes? gently caress you buddy, here is my lawyer.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Screaming for 15 minutes? gently caress you buddy, here is my lawyer.

Right?

I wasn't there, so I don't know how intense it got, but it's still pretty hilarious (to an outside observer) that this was even a thing. Excuse me, this is a Christian loan, no swearing or devil numbers!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That seems to be a pretty benign thing to freak out about though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think I would have died laughing if someone was yelling at me over that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Has anyone used Egnyte or heard from someone that does? My fiancée's work currently uses google drive for filesharing needs, they are a 10 person company, no domain or anything, hosted VOIP solution blah blah blah. They fall under HIPAA (google is compliant apparently, I have never looked) and the owner + another person complain that google drive is hard and want something more user friendly, Egnyte came up and I'm trying to ask around since I have no loving clue.

Is it good? Easy to use? Any pitfalls? poo poo like that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I've heard the name, and I recall it wasn't under favourable circumstances, but that's all. If HIPAA is involved though, it might be worth going to The Goon Doctor and asking in the Health Care Stories thread. A big range of medical workers there with a lot of different HIPAA-compliant software knowledge.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

Has anyone used Egnyte or heard from someone that does? My fiancée's work currently uses google drive for filesharing needs, they are a 10 person company, no domain or anything, hosted VOIP solution blah blah blah. They fall under HIPAA (google is compliant apparently, I have never looked) and the owner + another person complain that google drive is hard and want something more user friendly, Egnyte came up and I'm trying to ask around since I have no loving clue.

I helped implement it back in my MSP days for a few clients. It is most certainly wasn't as easy as google drive 3 years ago.

Permissions were a loving pitfall nightmare, but I guess end users wouldn't really be concerned with that other than "hey this person can't see the file."

Versioning is confusing as gently caress but at least it works. Most users never knew versioning was a thing Egnyte offered because it was buried and difficult to revert / find old poo poo.

Maybe it's improved, but my impression is if they do not have a dedicated IT person to hand-hold them through it and deal with the permissions, don't do it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It is stuff like this though that reminds me how wildly responsibilities vary from position to position. I see IT directors for a department of 3 and then I think about our IT director who oversees I want to say about 25,000 VMs and it just boggles my mind that they're the same title.

It makes me wonder if the following is a good career shortcut. Jump from a big enterprise "play with all the new technology" tools position like I have, straight into a small shop director role. It'd seem like a god drat vacation at this point. Then use that 'director' title to pivot right back into big enterprise now that you are a director. Instant ladder climb.

I am that IT Director of a department of 34! I fell into two promotions (one from helpdesk to sysadmin, then sysadmin to IT Director) and the place is small enough that I have more than enough time to play around with new tech whenever I want still. Technical skills stay sharp, get "Director" on my resume, and all in 2 years time. Thanks small business

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
We turned out trial of evident.io on for a couple accounts and now I am having thoughts that it is best to involve tools like this and audit your security early on. It would be a lot easier to get alerted and correct things as you build instead of fix a bunch of things to match best practices.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welllllll I spent most of my work-day agonizing over my email response of a counter offer, only to immediately get an out of office response. Gonna give it a day or so and then call I suppose. Asked for an additional $8k, hoping for at least $3k. Fingers crossed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

The worst thing is most places don't even list a salary so you end up wasting a bunch of time to find out they want to pay poo poo.

My company's operations center in Detroit is throwing 60-65k at people just to get them to work weekends. It's not even that hard of a job, like 90% of it is restarting windows services or app pools. I'm having a hard time finding new jobs in the area that will beat it on pay, seeing postings for sys admins with AWS certs and 3-5 years of experience for less than I'm making as a server janitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

It's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

xsf421 posted:

My company's operations center in Detroit is throwing 60-65k at people just to get them to work weekends. It's not even that hard of a job, like 90% of it is restarting windows services or app pools. I'm having a hard time finding new jobs in the area that will beat it on pay, seeing postings for sys admins with AWS certs and 3-5 years of experience for less than I'm making as a server janitor.

Verizon had people on call like that... like one team that was the windows service restarter. The guy had no idea about actual server performance or how the application worked when we had to call him one night.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MF_James posted:

I wrote an absurdly long post maybe two weeks ago about my experiences, I think in the poo poo that pisses me off thread. Don't have time to find it right now, but the takeaway was that two years ago they were hilariously overpriced and their solution was a barely concealed implementation of rsync, and had lots of issues with permissions and so on. That said, they may have gotten better.

Edit: or this is probably more likely

Thanks Ants posted:

It's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo it's poo poo

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone have an experience with this poo poo?

https://www.onbase.com/en/

Boss man is looking to implement it and hire someone to manage it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Anyone have an experience with this poo poo?

https://www.onbase.com/en/

Boss man is looking to implement it and hire someone to manage it.

If it's implemented properly, and has a decent team behind it, it's great. We use it, but we're so big we're running into scaling issues that the development team never foresaw.

JHVH-1 posted:

Verizon had people on call like that... like one team that was the windows service restarter. The guy had no idea about actual server performance or how the application worked when we had to call him one night.

We're a bit higher than that, kind of mid-level sys admins. We're weirdly handicapped in that we're not allowed to make changes on production systems, despite having access and knowledge.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xsf421 posted:

If it's implemented properly, and has a decent team behind it, it's great. We use it, but we're so big we're running into scaling issues that the development team never foresaw.

Our plan is to give the company a shitload of money to implement it properly and then manage it until we hire someone.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Our plan is to give the company a shitload of money to implement it properly and then manage it until we hire someone.

Then hopefully you'll be great. We had to redo our DB schema for it last year because our docID tracking number hit the 32 bit integer cap, for an idea how high it'll scale before issues. Even then, everything still worked, we just had issues with new docs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xsf421 posted:

Is it an experienced or entry level job?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're a small manufacturing company with less than 300 employees. I think we'll be OK.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Dunno why I PM'd you. Tall nerd in blue sweater and black jacket. Gonna be a regular mardi gras wooo.

Uh oh. Chubby's not posted since then! MURDER MOST FOUL!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it an experienced or entry level job?

There's no degree or formal experience requirements, as long as you know your way around windows server a little. I started as an intern with no degree or formal IT experience and transitioned to full-time in about 45 days. I admit that's kind of rare though. We typically hire people who are t1/2 helpdesk and looking to move up, or people from other technical fields who might not have a ton of IT knowledge, but show that they can learn.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, okay. There’s a Delray goon in TFR who could really use a break, but he hasn’t done any IT that I know of.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I found the right guy by asking around "do you have stairs in your house" in the restaurant.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I found the right guy by asking around "do you have stairs in your house" in the restaurant.

Nerd. You just lost all the respect you won from that big effort post.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

IT Director
xxxxxxx - Bay City, MI
$40,000 - $60,000 a year

Bring your smarts and positive energy to a growing conglomerate in the Great Lakes Bay Region! Headquartered in Bay City, our team supports a variety of companies including but not limited to: xxxxxxx. As IT Manager, you will be expected to take care of the following duties:

Supervise the company’s computer, network infrastructure and internet connectivity.
Data management of sensitive consumer data, maintain privacy and confidentiality.
Manage and troubleshoot CRM tools, ring central, and BDC phone systems.
Troubleshooting for down equipment or services.
Conducting formal risk assessments for new systems and significant system revisions.
Establishing security and risk management programs.
Providing leadership and guidance in IT and enterprise risks to business owners and agency staff.
Providing leadership in the areas of problem identification and resolution, answering inquiries, providing guidance, troubleshooting, and ensuring follow-up on all issues to the team.
Assisting with the selection and purchase of cost-effective equipment, security and IT needs.
Researching and identifing new tools, programs and platforms that support improved efficiency for office staff.
Managing and tracking asset (software, hardware) inventory
Replacement, installation, and support of laptop, desktop, PC, printers, phones and other similar devices.
Developing standard operating procedures, processes, and guidelines pertaining to technical support.
Managing relationships with third-party vendors as it pertains to IT.
Overseeing and monitor IT budgets and contracts.

Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or other related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $40,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year

Required education:

Bachelor's

Required experience:

IT: 3 years

I live in Seattle and the lowest I can imagine someone(a crappy barely qualified hire) taking for that job around here would be 70k. Anyone who knew what they were doing would be approaching 6 figures.
Edit: One of my friends here works for EA and makes easily over 130k/year building internal tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Key is it has to be just big enough that "IT Director" will get you exposure to actually doing the management work that is expected of the role. Example, the IT Director title on my resume means fuckall as it was a company with about 125 total employees and the IT department amounted to me, and a guy who did both Customer Service for the company and L1/2 Help Desk work for me.