Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Your Computer posted:

that sounds kinda weird and dumb since the Switch is a handheld and shaking your handheld sounds like a bad idea

yea like I said it seems to entirely be restricted to 'shake to make a BIG spray' kinda stuff that you can ignore but...yea a bit unfortunate that it seems you HAVE to shake your handheld device?

Zooey Dave Chapelle posted:

joy cons arent very comfy but the pro controller is amazing, totally worth the price imo

I'm a big weirdo who likes the joycons and plays Breath of the Wild and Splatoon with them so I'm eager to Mario with my stupid neon hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperTeeJay posted:

I’ve picked up a Switch and Mario is arriving tomorrow. Should I grab a Pro controller or are the joy cons better for this game?

I'm going to use my Gamecube controller as God intended

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

joy cons arent very comfy but the pro controller is amazing, totally worth the price imo

Some reviewers are saying that one or two of the motion control bits are tougher with the pro, which makes me sad. It's the best controller nintendo's ever made, imo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bef posted:

I'm going to use my Gamecube controller as God intended

oh poo poo. you know, there is almost enough buttons, i mean you wont be looking at the map but normal control? doable. cappy is Y, jump is on B tho instead of A otherwise i'd playing that way right now. nothing uses A except to talk to people.

edit: you can't remap the a and b buttons but you can set the map to open on d pad up so at least everything cept screenshots, motion controls and the home button works. man, if only you could set jump on the gamecube A, that would be loving perfect.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oh there's a motion sensitivity option thats defaulted to low, so setting that to high while playing handheld would mean you're not shaking your expensive handheld around. i havent tried it given how low is sensitive anyway, i would imagine high would just be a light nudge.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So, early adopters: how are the prospects of a captureless run looking?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Argue posted:

not an early adopter, but impossible. some of its bosses require capturing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

It's impossible. Capturing is required to beat certain bosses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Captureless except bosses would still be cool but I think it's a tad early to declare it impossible.

Note that I have not watched any videos other than official ones and don't want to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Captureless except bosses would still be cool but I think it's a tad early to declare it impossible.

Note that I have not watched any videos other than official ones and don't want to.

Well, to rephrase: "captureless without glitches that allow you to skip areas is impossible." It's entirely possible there's a glitch that lets you hop out the world and to the ending or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

pro controller dpad is garbage tho

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

pro controller dpad is garbage tho

Aren’t the triggers just on/off too? There’s no analog feel to them :sigh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i dont think you'd be able to get out of the first kingdom without a capture. i mean, maybe someone will find a glitch or some poo poo, they always do.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

oh poo poo i just noticed A is jump too, y+b and x-a are just mirrors, same with l zl and r zr. if you set the option for the d-pad up to open the map and turn off motion controls then its perfectly playable with a gamecube pad outside of just snapshot mode and those extra motion control moves.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if Nabbit and the Broodals are the same species.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I hope that there is a hidden Rabbid in this game somewhere.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With all the moons you can seemingly find through relatively mundane activities, I wonder what the minimum amount of platforming you can get to the credits with is. Like getting enough moons to go to the kingdom after new donk mostly just by messing with citizens.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I wish I was playing the new Super Mario game right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Please add to the OP

ok

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What time does the preload unlock? will I be able to play at 00:01 BST?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The eshop only says "unlocks 27.10" and if that doesn't mean 1 minute after midnight I'm gonna be extremely angry and post bad reviews online sad (and then have fun playing mario tomorrow instead)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

The eshop only says "unlocks 27.10" and if that doesn't mean 1 minute after midnight I'm gonna be extremely angry and post bad reviews online sad (and then have fun playing mario tomorrow instead)

Doesn't Nintendo unlock their games at like 9 in the morning?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Nintendo first party games are always 12am EST.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

robot roll call posted:

Aaaand I'm not going to work tomorrow.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't Nintendo unlock their games at like 9 in the morning?
Oh yeah, that sounds about right :smith:

robot roll call posted:

regardless of timezone/region?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Your Computer posted:

regardless of timezone/region?

Yup.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
There's like 10 ppl including me at a Midnight launch, most of them high schoolers wtf

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

robot roll call posted:

Regardless of Daylight Saving Time?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This game is just pure fuckin' fun

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

did i see something about it taking 15 or fewer hours to complete all the levels? that seems very short

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What, theres a day one update?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The music in wooded kingdom doesn't make any sense and it's loving awesome as hell

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

blue squares posted:

did i see something about it taking 15 or fewer hours to complete all the levels? that seems very short

I think that's to 'beat the game' with the minimum amount of stuff, sounds like it's much longer to 100% and some areas don't even unlock until after you 'beat the game'

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

blue squares posted:

That's about what every 3D Mario game has been

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so i've played for about three hours, and my wife has played for about three hours (seperate games) and it's kind of amazing how different our two experiences have been. i kept pushing through the story goals and quests and doing most of the major bosses, and i've just finished the lake and wooded kingdoms. it's great: the deepest underground "giant face" boss has been my favourite so far, but the secret flower path UFO fight was also hilarious from start to finish. wife has pretty much spent three hours in the sand kingdom and cap kingdom - she's gotten way, way more moons than i have, and seeing her unlock a warp from sand kingdom to new donk city blew our minds. there is so much to do in this game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Adaptabullshit posted:

day -1. but yeah theres an update also a switch update 4.1

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

When isn't there one? Devs lazy af these days.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Frankston posted:

The music in wooded kingdom doesn't make any sense and it's loving awesome as hell

haha yeah im at that part, reminded me of one of those upbeat spaghetti western tracks from the 60s.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

in the sand kingdom how do you get the coins stacks on the pillar inside the ice cave thing when you fall into the hole in the quicksand, i tried long jumping and cap throwing then jumping off. nothing seems to work and i lost more coins then i would have got from that stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My kids are so excited about this game. They're too young to play but they loved watching me play other Mario games, plus BotW. Only thing is they and my wife are away until Sunday. I would so love to start the game with them watching. But I don't think I can wait, even with Stardew Valley sinking its teeth into me.

The reviews for this are just stonking.

Also, for those worrying about game length, let me quote you these tantalising bits from the Telegraph and Eurogamer reviews respectively (very, very minorly spoilerish wording, but no detail at all):

"But for old hands, the game really begins after the credits roll, with an enormous amount of post-game content that stretches every inch of Mario’s repertoire."

"If you know Mario games you will know that beating Bowser isn't the end, but even veterans will be surprised and delighted by Super Mario Odyssey's sudden and expansive flowering in a shower of unlocks after the credits. There is much more than you will have dared hope for, including much that is entirely new, and the game is arguably at its best after you've 'finished' it."

• Locked thread