Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
keeping with the super chat, you can perform combos as an arcstrider that deal more damage. The only one I can remember right now is LMB + LMB + RMB. There are youtube videos going through all the combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

qbert posted:

Tuesday 2AM pacific.

Yeah for a maybe a week :allears:

(It's affected by daylight savings time)

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't know the default keybindings but:

Grenade throw = shield throw, melee = shield bash, block = block

Is there any combinations like sprint + melee? or hold grenade and block? Etc?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I did a lovely printscreen and then uploaded it with some worse compression my b

I don't get that guy, because it's an unremarkable, heavily compressed 1920x1080 shot

El Chingon posted:

keeping with the super chat, you can perform combos as an arcstrider that deal more damage. The only one I can remember right now is LMB + LMB + RMB. There are youtube videos going through all the combos.

My go-to combo is melee - melee - shoot

The dodge is loving sick too, can spam it and follow through with an attack

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You can infuse the chest with a higher ilevel chest - I would strongly recommend you hold onto the chest you have because I'm fairly sure it came with a +5 power mod when you got it during the campaign. That means it's already 5 levels over its stated level. Bear with me here, because that means it's really 5 levels higher than what it says. So if you infuse a 200 chest into your low level Actium War Rig, it will become 205.

It's confusing but when it clicks in practice you'll see what I mean.

Basically if you ever find any pieces of gear with +5 mods on them DO NOT SHARD THEM. They are crucial to helping you get to higher light levels since the mods are so difficult to come by. So many players have sharded items with +5 mods in them without realizing it.

Also, all exotics you find in the game will be retrievable from kiosks in your social space - once you've acquired an exotic you can make as many copies of it as you want, costing you legendary shards to generate another one. It's account-wide too.

Explain this more.. I'm not sure what are +5 mods?

Also, I picked the titan chest at level 7 for faster auto rifle load and didn't know you could upgrade your chests with infuse.

Can I buy those gloves that give me better havoc strikes or whatever it was? or am I SOL?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As someone who didn't play Destiny 1, what are this game's big shortcomings in comparison?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also, I picked the titan chest at level 7 for faster auto rifle load and didn't know you could upgrade your chests with infuse.

Can I buy those gloves that give me better havoc strikes or whatever it was? or am I SOL?

It's a little confusing but every piece of gear can have a mod attached to it. If the mod is legendary (purple), it will increase the power level of that gear by +5. So for example, a 200 gun with a purple mod on it will display as 205. It's still base 200, but for all other intents and purposes it acts as 205. That means that if you want to infuse something into it, you only have to feed it something above 200.

Every exotic gear comes with a purple mod attached. So if you have an exotic that says 205, you can actually feed it something that's 204 and the exotic will turn into 209 (204 +5).

For your second question, Xur might end up selling those gloves you want, otherwise you have to try and find them via random drop. OR you could start another Titan character and replay that quest and pick the gloves.

You can rebuy every exotic you've ever owned via the Collections tab in your Vault.

fadam posted:

As someone who didn't play Destiny 1, what are this game's big shortcomings in comparison?

This kind of question could totally derail the thread, but the main complaints are lack of grind-y endgame activities for people who have hit max power to do. The first game had random gun rolls, so you could grind for the perfect drop. Also collectibles like grimoire score and dead ghosts. Also a kiosk so you could collect every shader, ship, sparrow, or emote in the game. poo poo like that.

Also there's a long list of complaints by people who enjoyed PvP in D1 more than PvP in D2. Personally I miss having 6v6 modes, which felt more casual than 4v4.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 26, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fadam posted:

Lack of skinner box, which apparently people actually really loved.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

qbert posted:

OR you could start another Titan character and replay that quest and pick the gloves.

This is what I was thinking I'd have to do.. transfer between my characters..

Also don't infusions cost legendary shards? Which are acquired on strikes right?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also don't infusions cost legendary shards? Which are acquired on strikes right?
You get legendary shards from salvaging legendaries, which you can get from various places.

Protagoras
May 9, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Nah, you get them from breaking down legendaries and exotics.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

No, the main way of acquiring legendary shards is to dismantle legendary gear. Main way of getting legendary gear is hitting level 20 (which you automatically do for beating the campaign), then turning in rep tokens to the NPCs on each planet. 20 tokens = 1 rank up = 1 or 2 legendary gear pieces.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

fadam posted:

PvP is the big one. Destiny 2 PvP is 4v4 only, and there are only two playlists outside of special events (which are honestly just one of the playlists with only one specific subgame type): quickplay (control, clash, supremacy) and competitive(defuse and elimination). In D1, you had rumble, 6v6 control, 6v6 Clash, 6v6 supremacy, 6v6 rift, 3v3 skirmish, 3v3 salvage and 3v3 elimination, not to mention the variants (no radar, big maps only, mayhem where the power recharge rate was insane, etc). There was some sense in paring down the playlists a bit but they took it too far. In D1 they eventually cycled through only a few a week, but there was always 6s, 3s and rumble.

The nature of pvp changed as well as the types of games. They reworked the class powers and dramatically reduced their damage and recharge rates to focus on gunplay. You went from having a primary, a special (shotgun, sniper, sidearm, fusion) and a heavy (rocket, machine gun, sword or laser) to having two primaries and one heavy(shotgun, sniper, rocket, fusion, laser or sword).

They did all this to streamline and simplify, with the idea that destiny 1 PvP was chaotic and overwhelming for new players, and high skill players were butthurt about getting occasionally killed by unstoppable power attacks.

The end result is PvP is, by many accounts, boring as poo poo, and also LESS approachable for new players.

4v4 only means that matches are much more intense, as each players' contribution matters more, and teamwork is paramount. It's much more like D1 3s, which eventually got insanely sweaty, than 6s. Because of this, and because it's pretty easy to grab a 4stack, it's a lot of 4stacks, which makes an arms race. Solo queuing is dead, and retarded.

The reduction in powers means it's easy for players to clump up as there's no real way to disperse them. They added a super display and a callout so it's obvious when a super is coming. tTK is significantly higher as well. So the way PvP works is sticking together and teamshooting with primaries wins, for the most part.

The end result is you feel much less powerful as an individual, you're constantly playing one of two modes but you never have control over the sub mode, you need to run with buds or you get stomped, and everything kinda plays the same.

Also D1 had private matches, D2 doesn't. Wtf.

This isn't even getting into what they did to the guns.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 26, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's stupid that snipers and shotguns are only power weapons. Move them to normal kinetic/energy weapons and add railguns and flechette cannons to power weapons if they still want the diversity or something. Those are such standard weapon classes and it's silly that they're locked behind power ammo. Were you able to use special weapons in Destiny 1 significantly more frequently than power weapons in Destiny 2? Where'd the fall on the Destiny 2 spectrum of kinetic/energy weapons <-> power weapons?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, snipers/shotguns were secondary weapons and ammo was easy to come by. In a standard crucible game people could go the entire match using nothing but their "secondary" gun.

Bungie continually nerfed the availability of ammo until we got to where we are now. They don't want the game dominated by two guns.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Elysiume posted:

It's stupid that snipers and shotguns are only power weapons. Move them to normal kinetic/energy weapons and add railguns and flechette cannons to power weapons if they still want the diversity or something. Those are such standard weapon classes and it's silly that they're locked behind power ammo. Were you able to use special weapons in Destiny 1 significantly more frequently than power weapons in Destiny 2? Where'd the fall on the Destiny 2 spectrum of kinetic/energy weapons <-> power weapons?

Bungie changed the ammo systems for PvP significantly over time. For most of D1, special weapons pretty much ruled the game (usually shotguns or snipers would be current meta champ). Heavy ammo used to drop every 2 minutes in a match or something, I forget.

Eventually people rightly complained that there was no reason to ever be using your primary, so Bungie nerfed special and heavy ammo hard, in addition to constant nerfs to shotguns and snipers. By the end of D1 people STILL weren't using primaries much, and instead moved on to spamming grenades or certain special exotics that bypassed ammo restrictions (there was an exotic sniper in D1 that constantly refilled ammo aka THE ONE TRUE TRIALS WEAPON).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Elysiume posted:

Snipers, shotguns, fusions and sidearms were in their own slot, special weapons. In PvP you'd spawn with special weapon ammo and then have to scrounge it up via crates like you do power weapon ammo now.

Special weapon balance and ammo economy was one of the big two of D1 PvP issues. I spent most of Y2 D1 pvp whoring a shotgun and powers to great effect (Ex: :siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvpBGSFoEPU) and it was absolutely an issue that needed attention for D2 PvP. There were time periods where primary weapons were an afterthought (once they nerfed some good primaries into the ground) and people were getting sick of getting killed by special weapons.

I'm not sure they took the right approach, and when combined with the power cooldown and strength nerf I absolutely think it was an incorrect one.

The real issue is because destiny has a unified sandbox for pve/pvp, these balancing acts affect PvE as well, for the worse imho. You end up getting into that "should I use my power? should I use my power? ah I'll hold onto it" *never uses power* issue people were mentioning earlier, as well as doing a lot of primary weapon shooting. Contrasted with D1, where you were flying around blasting shotguns and flinging grenades then laying down a bunch of machine gun ammo, D2 can feel a bit staid). The crazy part is that in the Beta released for consoles, cooldowns were even slower and power weapon ammo almost never dropped. There was a minor e-riot and Bungie eventually lowered cooldowns and made elite enemies always drop heavy, so you PC guys never got to experience it at its worst.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 26, 2017

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
This may sound like a dumb D2 newbie question. But just to understand progression:
The adventures and public events and strikes and raids scale with the power level of the players ? So there is no moment or state like in WoW where you can steamroll old raids and dungeons because your item level is way higher?
Why would I keep on raising my power level when the PVE world just levels with me? Doesn't this make my loot "nice to have" and I prefer and use what looks best and what fits my playstyle?

Maybe that *is* the Destiny concept of progress and powerlevel just unlocks stuff, but I want to know and understand how this works and what is keeping you motivated to play and progress
:thunk:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

This may sound like a dumb D2 newbie question. But just to understand progression:
The adventures and public events and strikes and raids scale with the power level of the players ? So there is no moment or state like in WoW where you can steamroll old raids and dungeons because your item level is way higher?
Why would I keep on raising my power level when the PVE world just levels with me? Doesn't this make my loot "nice to have" and I prefer and use what looks best and what fits my playstyle?

Maybe that *is* the Destiny concept of progress and powerlevel just unlocks stuff, but I want to know and understand how this works and what is keeping you motivated to play and progress
:thunk:

No, none of the enemies in the world scale with your level. Just your loot drops.

You will never be able to completely steamroll dudes though, cause Bungie implements a kind of cap on that kind of stuff. For example, you could be 300 power fighting level 4 dudes, but Bungie has some invisible cap that says "If you're > 20 power above this enemy, you do the same extra damage regardless."

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

qbert posted:

Bungie changed the ammo systems for PvP significantly over time. For most of D1, special weapons pretty much ruled the game (usually shotguns or snipers would be current meta champ). Heavy ammo used to drop every 2 minutes in a match or something, I forget.

Eventually people rightly complained that there was no reason to ever be using your primary, so Bungie nerfed special and heavy ammo hard, in addition to constant nerfs to shotguns and snipers. By the end of D1 people STILL weren't using primaries much, and instead moved on to spamming grenades or certain special exotics that bypassed ammo restrictions (there was an exotic sniper in D1 that constantly refilled ammo aka THE ONE TRUE TRIALS WEAPON).

Yeah the stuff in D1 that bypassed or altered the special weapon usage and economy rules were by far the worst things in PVP

Universal Remote (good, occasionally best, shotgun, in your primary slot) - AIDS
No Land Beyond ((good, occasionally best, sniper, in your primary slot) - MEGA AIDS
Icebreaker (sniper that regenerates ammo) - AIDS, MEGA AIDS when they dramatically lowered the amount of special ammo and took it away upon death
Sidearms (added late in lifespan, always spawned with special ammo) - AIDS when they dramatically lowered the amount of special ammo and took it away upon death

I never understood why they didn't just axe UR and NLB, make IB not regen in crucible, and adjust sidearms to not give ammo on respawn once they reworked the ammo economy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Mods are items that go in your gear's mod slot, if you look on your gear's page there are three slots you can mouseover - infuse, mod slot, shader.
You can click on the infuse slot then chose a higher level item to use up on it.

The mod items are per slot for armor, so for example chest specific mod, legging specific mod, etc. For weapons you have kinetic and energy.. Armor mods can do a variety of different things and perks like recoil control or damage reduction. Legendary (purple) mods have +5 power in addition to their usual perk.

You don't get gear that can make use of mods until you reach level 20 so don't worry if you're still playing through the campaign and haven't seen anything like this yet.

Any exotics you didn't chose can eventually randomly drop from exotic engrams. So if you chose a Sunshot over the Riskrunner for example, you can always get a Riskrunner later on from an engram. Or you may get a second Sunshot instead. C'est la vie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah the stuff in D1 that bypassed or altered the special weapon usage and economy rules were by far the worst things in PVP

Universal Remote (good, occasionally best, shotgun, in your primary slot) - AIDS
No Land Beyond ((good, occasionally best, sniper, in your primary slot) - MEGA AIDS
Icebreaker (sniper that regenerates ammo) - AIDS, MEGA AIDS when they dramatically lowered the amount of special ammo and took it away upon death
Sidearms (added late in lifespan, always spawned with special ammo) - AIDS when they dramatically lowered the amount of special ammo and took it away upon death

I never understood why they didn't just axe UR and NLB, make IB not regen in crucible, and adjust sidearms to not give ammo on respawn once they reworked the ammo economy.

Hot tip: in PC threads, please talk like you have half a brain and don't refer to anything bad as "AIDS" like some 10 year old hopped up on Dew.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I want to show off supers and cool poo poo like that to a friend.

We both hate those loving youtube videos "HEY EVERYBODY WELCOME BACK TO THE CHANNEL TODAY I'M GONNA SHOW YOU" I want to murder those people.

Are there any good videos which just demo the supers, show off how they look, without an obnoxious voiceover?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

fadam posted:

the gist of it I've learned is that:

No randomized weapon mods: you can't keep getting loot looking for the "perfect" weapon with the exact mods that you want. think of it as if d3 legendaries had all guaranteed stat rolls instead of just 2 guaranteed stat rolls.
Lack of content: D1 had a lot of content after base game + 3 expansions.... which they all dumped to make Destiny 2 instead of just announcing an extra big destiny 1 expansion that would add PC support and keep all the old raids/etc. think of it as if blizzard announced wow 2 instead of just making another stand-alone expansion like legion or warlords of draenor or what have you.
PvP: it plays different (longer cooldowns, so less "fun" poo poo explosions and grenades and more shoot mans) and has a different size on top of that (4v4 instead of 6v6) so you can't easily go from doing strikes and raids to doing pvp.
bad microtransaction bullshit: shaders can now be used on individual pieces of equipment instead of working on your full set of armor, but you can no longer use shaders infinitely, to encourage people to buy loot boxes with random shaders in them.
lots of other things on top of that, like weird QoL features disappearing or being reverted for no good reason. also just in general lack of "new" QoL features you'd expect a sequel to add. why does the compass have no cardinal direction indicator so you can say "hey enemies to the east"? why is there no friendly health bars? why can't I click "dismantle all"?

also, while destiny 1 had no story, it had lots of cool background lore. destiny 2 has a bad story and less of that background stuff. both aren't really optimal, but some people prefer the first option.

Minera fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

No, there are not.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

khy posted:

I want to show off supers and cool poo poo like that to a friend.

We both hate those loving youtube videos "HEY EVERYBODY WELCOME BACK TO THE CHANNEL TODAY I'M GONNA SHOW YOU" I want to murder those people.

Are there any good videos which just demo the supers, show off how they look, without an obnoxious voiceover?

No, you should seriously do something like that, because HEYGUYSITSYABOI RUMORSCLICKBAITBULLSHIT DROPALIKEANDSUBSCRIBE is the first last and middle name of most Destiny Youtube right now.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arivia posted:

Hot tip: in PC threads, please talk like you have half a brain and don't refer to anything bad as "AIDS" like some 10 year old hopped up on Dew.

joke's on you because AIDS is actually extremely good in 2017

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I thought AIDS was good...?

E. Beaten. Phone posting in an elevator :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

joke's on you because AIDS is actually extremely good in 2017

Jesus, gently caress off.

Sprayed
Apr 2, 2008

UGGHH
Anyone down for the nightfall?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sprayed posted:

Anyone down for the nightfall?

I can do it in a bit, gonna to take a break for an hour or so. Btag is FirstGear#1427

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What the gently caress I just realized they got rid of the Rift mode in Crucible. WHY THE gently caress DID THEY GET RID OF BOMBING RUN ARGH

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress I just realized they got rid of the Rift mode in Crucible. WHY THE gently caress DID THEY GET RID OF BOMBING RUN ARGH

Yeah, Rift was my favorite 6's mode. Bummer

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

qbert posted:

Tuesday 2AM pacific.

the actual reset time is 9 AM UTC :colbert:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I am really upset i can't have more than one exotic weapon or one exotic armor equipped at a time :colbert: Why yes I actually do wanna use my Hard Light and Wardcliff Coil at the same time FFS bungie why make something to farm for and then limit me to one?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Because that would be just too interesting and fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Jesus, gently caress off.

His posts are way better than yours

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If y'all want to keep getting progressively more powerful while equipping whatever the hell gear you want,

Might I suggest Diablo 3??

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
A "Life Exotic" modifier on nightfalls would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If y'all want to keep getting progressively more powerful while equipping whatever the hell gear you want,

Might I suggest Diablo 3??

That's the game that had me swear off giving Blizzard a dime for the rest of my life, what a piece of crap game, Path of Exile was like 100x better for free...

• Locked thread