Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

Marauder over Death Cart because Spoils.

Ah, yeah, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Clever using Young Witch to pull in a split/traveller pile. I guess it doesn't really matter what configuration you use, just as long as you are using as many kindgom cards that provide 2+ unique cards as part of their deal. And before split piles you had Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary, so really only Castles increased the value in Empires.

I can easily see one of the 4 remaining heirlooms having another spirit attached. Plus we still have to hear about Boons and Hexes, if any of the cards that access those access a third card (or if those are all unique/mixed) that could blow it up further.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Clever using Young Witch to pull in a split/traveller pile. I guess it doesn't really matter what configuration you use, just as long as you are using as many kindgom cards that provide 2+ unique cards as part of their deal. And before split piles you had Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary, so really only Castles increased the value in Empires.

I can easily see one of the 4 remaining heirlooms having another spirit attached. Plus we still have to hear about Boons and Hexes, if any of the cards that access those access a third card (or if those are all unique/mixed) that could blow it up further.

Yeah, I'd assume that getting it from the current 62 (updated math to use Marauder instead) to the next break-point at 65 will be within the realm of possibility - so a 13 point Fairground. Although I can't even imagine how many turns it'd take you to get every unique card in that set-up.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Add museum as a landmark for extra point fun!

Anyway I just wanted to say Heirlooms are amazing. So are night cards, but Heirlooms feel much more awesome. It's so cool!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

H2Omelon posted:

Add museum as a landmark for extra point fun!

...or Wolf Den for maximum pain :unsmigghh:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

...or Wolf Den for maximum pain :unsmigghh:

The first time I played with Wolf Den, my score was lower than if I had just sat there and bought nothing every turn. No junking attacks, just bad planning / greed.

I'd like to play a Wolf Den / tournament board. Not a Swindler/ Wolf Den though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rchandra posted:

The first time I played with Wolf Den, my score was lower than if I had just sat there and bought nothing every turn. No junking attacks, just bad planning / greed.

I'd like to play a Wolf Den / tournament board. Not a Swindler/ Wolf Den though.

First time I played with it I was in the black but similarly poorly planned and went from "would have handily won" to "got dead last" by knocking 12 points off my score. It was hilarious fun.

Loving Nocturne so far but it is going to be hard for anything to top Empires. I think Landmarks are my favorite mechanic thus far.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Day 3. Boons mechanic is pretty simple, random one-shot events that certain cards will let you access. Druid in particular sounds fun, if not incredibly useful based on the boons shown so far.

Also three boons are shown but all twelve will be available for gameplay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nocturne is starting to feel like a half dozen tiny expansions crammed into a large size box. Not that that's a bad thing...but there's just SO MUCH STUFF.

Edit: there's apparently a new promo coming, Dismantle

Edit 2: Today's bonus preview for Fool introduces yet ANOTHER landscape card-shaped-thing...a State

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 25, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Current Approximate Nocturne Card Composition:

33 Kingdom Cards -- ~332 Cards (Currently 1 known Victory Pile)
33 Randomizers -- 33 Cards
7 Heirlooms -- 42 cards (6 copies each)
3 Spirits -- 31 cards (12 Will O Wisps, 6 Ghosts, 13 Imps)
12 Boons -- 12 cards
1 State -- 1 card

So we currently know about 451 cards in the box.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 25, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The tug-of-war aspect with States seems interesting. I'd be curious to see if there's another state that's raw VP, and only one player can end the game with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

The tug-of-war aspect with States seems interesting. I'd be curious to see if there's another state that's raw VP, and only one player can end the game with it.

I really hope not because that would probably shift balance back to a significant first player advantage.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, I'd assume that getting it from the current 62 (updated math to use Marauder instead) to the next break-point at 65 will be within the realm of possibility - so a 13 point Fairground. Although I can't even imagine how many turns it'd take you to get every unique card in that set-up.

So it turns out Boons are not gainable cards BUT since Fool has an heirloom and enables Will-O-Wisp it gives 3 cards to the split piles' 2. So that gets us one card closer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

So it turns out Boons are not gainable cards BUT since Fool has an heirloom and enables Will-O-Wisp it gives 3 cards to the split piles' 2. So that gets us one card closer.

Does a State count towards Fairgrounds?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Does a State count towards Fairgrounds?

Hmmm, I highly doubt it, it's not in your deck

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

12 Boons -- 12 cards
1 State -- 1 card

So we currently know about 418 cards in the box.

33 randomizers brings the known cards to 451.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got Nocturne preordered at my FLGS, life is good

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There's at least one other State card that I remember playtesting. It's a negative one, had to do with a swamp in some way, and I can't remember any relevant details because we just made Shrek jokes all game

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Archenteron posted:

There's at least one other State card that I remember playtesting. It's a negative one, had to do with a swamp in some way, and I can't remember any relevant details because we just made Shrek jokes all game

Hell, I don't blame you

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You have to have watched Shrek movies to make Shrek jokes

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

I really hope not because that would probably shift balance back to a significant first player advantage.

I'm not sure about that. States aren't necessarily gained in any certain way, right? You could make it something that requires strategy (absent first player advantage) to achieve.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Played a live 3-player game today, with cards from Empires/Dark Ages/ Guilds/Prosperity:

Tax
Defiled Shrine

Sage
Enchantress

Temple
Armory

Contraband
City
Merchant Guild
Graverobber
Baker

Expand

I was 3rd player - Alfred opened Baker (5/2) , Kano Baker as well (4/3), but I was 3/4 so couldn't follow (the only card with no debt is Baker, if I buy a $3 I will have debt and can't reach $5 turn 2). I decided on silver/Temple - Alfred used his $2 hand to Tax Silver so no others got bought. Curse was bought generally at 4-5 tokens, since it wasn't hard to trash one with Temple. The others used a bunch of Bakers and picked up Temples once they had points, I thinned, bought a gold and Expand and started on Cities - once Alfred followed me Kano was kind of trapped into it, I managed to finish with 5 of them thanks to the Expand.

I overdrew my deck once and tried some armory shenanigans, but picked up too many and the deck was just hovering at "draw self" for too long, sometimes stalling, but never overdrawing again. I picked up some merchant guilds for my own coin tokens, and a Graverobber to set up more cheating, but the armories got in the way too much. I accidentally passed on opportunity to basically always have an enchantress for +2 cards (playing my last sage before the Armory, hoping to hit another city). Alfred's deck with only 2 cities was basically dead, Kano had been stashing his coin tokens and took some solid turns, the first picked up 3 enchantress and the second played two of them and bought 2 provinces, so I knew I needed to win the next turn. Another stall, but I at least emptied pile #2 with Expand after the first City, so with the money and a bunch of Armories I emptied the Sage pile, and bought Province + Estate for the 20 VP tie (the only points being Provinces and VP chips, knowing the exact scores was easy). A tie when starting last in a 3-player game isn't terrible but after winning the city split and being the first to really get going, I feel like I should have done better. I think Merchant Guild was a distraction, with Graverobber and Expand I should just be using those to get Province points, not worrying about buys and coin tokens.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think P2 made a mistake not opening Temple.

I think the buy priorities in this game are:
Enchantress (2)
Temple (1 in 1st cycle, additional at 4VP)
City (2)
Graverobber (1)
Baker (2-3)
Expand (1, More if you hit more 7s)

Maybe a couple silvers or gold, depending on taxes. Curses at 5 VP.

Basically, just jam everything upwards until you are Expanding/Graverobbing into Provinces every turn. Make sure you are upconverting Temples into Expands.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That seems about right... I don't do 3P too often, but I think sidling into VP at that point might be your best bet. What was the overall turn count?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I loving hate Tax. It and Ghost Ship are probably two of my least favorite cards.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Also I loving hate Tax. It and Ghost Ship are probably two of my least favorite cards.

I like to play Tax on a Cornucopia-centric kingdom, it's a fuckin blast

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

10 Bats -- 10 cards
12 Wishes -- 12 cards
12 Boons -- 12 cards
12 Hexes -- 12 cards
3 States -- 13 cards (Deluded/Envious, and Miserable/Twice Miserable each have 6 copies)

So we currently know about 497 cards in the box.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 27, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Day 4. Shockingly enough, Hexes are bad Boons. Also, a card with four labels. :eyepop:

Also, Cursed Village doesn't give a Curse (unless you draw a Hex that gives a Curse, I guess). Go figure.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's the art on Envy? A fish-man trapped in a bottle giving us side eye as other fish frolic in a storm?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

That seems about right... I don't do 3P too often, but I think sidling into VP at that point might be your best bet. What was the overall turn count?

I'm not really sure. when I overdrew my deck was City x5, Gold, Silver, Copper x3, Merchant Guild x2, Expand, Sage x?, Temple, I think that turn added Graverobber Curse Armoryx3, the game lasted around 3-4 turns after that.

Yeah I think I especially undervalued the consistency of Enchantress' delayed Moat.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

Day 4. Shockingly enough, Hexes are bad Boons. Also, a card with four labels. :eyepop:

Also, Cursed Village doesn't give a Curse (unless you draw a Hex that gives a Curse, I guess). Go figure.

I am disappointed the Werewolf shows a smithy and not the werewolf he becomes at night. Boo!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Courtier has a lot to talk about, with the hirsute, nocturnal Smithy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I am disappointed the Werewolf shows a smithy and not the werewolf he becomes at night. Boo!

It should be one of those holographic cards that change the picture depending on which way you tilt it.

Also lol:

Mega64 posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Surprise, Leprechaun is loving weird.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that is super weird. I haven't touched it yet because it scared me but I guess a $3 Gold gainer is still worth it even if you're getting hexed. Getting Wish seems hard but that is a hilarious bonus.

The people over at dominionstrategy.com are flipping out about Hexes but I don't think they're all that strong (although they seem to overvalue attacks in general over there). Buying a Cursed Village sometimes doesn't do anything since a bunch of the effects are hand reducers and those don't matter at that point. Most of them are weaker versions of regular attacks with a few nasty ones, but in general they're not as bad as getting consistently cursed.

The biggest issue seems to be the randomization of who gets what effect: maybe your opponent gets a copper on top of his deck while he has an Upgrade but you meanwhile get hit with War early game when you only have a few decent cards, etc. But that to me sounds like "I drew my opening terminals together and my opponent didn't so the game is too swingy" levels of complaint.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Yeah I wasn't sure how I would feel about hexes and boons, but in the end, I think Hexes are fun, but boons are extremely unimpressive. Except when druid turns into a Will-o'-Wisp factory and there's highway...

----

Just had a game with Altar, Nobles, Inn, Watchtower, Rogue, Golem, Scavenger and Ill-Gotten-Gains. But there was no +buy. It was enormous amount of clicking and choices for these low-economy turns, but at least the cursing was fast when it got going. Gain IGG with Altar, Trash with Altar, gain again with Rogue, etc. Must have been so boring for my opponent before he resigned, but it was boring for me too at the end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

H2Omelon posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure how I would feel about hexes and boons, but in the end, I think Hexes are fun, but boons are extremely unimpressive. Except when druid turns into a Will-o'-Wisp factory and there's highway...

Yeah I think I feel the same way, I like Hexes a lot but I'm kind of underwhelmed by Boons. A lot of that is probably expectation and perception tho. "A random bad thing happens to my opponent (or me but I get something cool in exchange)" is pretty consistent, sometimes it doesn't work like you wanted but that's the same thing as your Witch getting Moated. Boons you're kind of hoping for something great and it sucks when it's totally worthless.

I think the implementation matters a lot too. Blessed Village you're probably buying just as a village anyway and paying an extra $1 for a potential bonus is fun and not a huge expense. Druid is like a cool Pawn/Squire variant where the choices are randomized every game; sometimes it sucks but maybe you're just buying it for the +buy that game, and it's only worth $2 anyway. Idol you're probably going for the cursing more than anything and the Boon is a cool bonus. Fool is probably my least favorite Fate card but I've admittedly mostly been playing against bots who don't use it and it might be ridiculous fun when I have 3 or 4 players at the table and we're passing the Lost card around repeatedly.

I'm extremely interested to see the rest of the Fate/Doom cards and especially see what new thing is getting previewed tomorrow. My guess is we'll get the full run down on what "Spirit" means outside of just being out of supply cards, and maybe any other interesting out of supply cards are left.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's only 13 cards worth of space left in the box, so I doubt we'll see too terribly many more new concepts

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone know if .NET is going to get the Nocturne update? It's gotten everything else, but these new mechanics seem fairly complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well we're down to only 3 mystery cards in the box. One more alt VP and one more one-off State?

Just saw the bonus preview. Three zombies!

Nocturne Card Composition:

33 Kingdom Cards -- 332 Cards (1 Victory Pile)
10 Bats -- 10 cards
3 Zombies -- 3 cards
12 Wishes -- 12 cards
12 Boons -- 12 cards
12 Hexes -- 12 cards
3 States -- 13 cards (Deluded/Envious, and Miserable/Twice Miserable each have 6 copies)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 27, 2017