Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Wonder if they're gonna follow up on this season or do a completely different true crime deal.

I would love a totally different crime in a totally different place

and then halfway though the season Dylan shows up and instantly becomes a suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

less laughter posted:

American Vandal was just renewed for season 2 :toot:

So, so happy about this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The teaser seems to suggest it's the same filmmaker with a different crime, where the suspect is the opposite of Dylan, a golden boy/girl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BTW if you liked American Vandal because of its close satire, do not miss Documentary NOW, which is insanely good satire of a number of actual and famous documentaries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So drat pumped, 2018 can't come quickly enough

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

BTW if you liked American Vandal because of its close satire, do not miss Documentary NOW, which is insanely good satire of a number of actual and famous documentaries.

Its a drat shame they didn't do a season this year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Ohhhh, the Indian PI lady was badly hiding a British accent this whole time. No wonder she sounded so weird.
Someone never watched Bend it Like Beckham. :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Someone never watched Bend it Like Beckham. :colbert:

Maybe Lurdiak isn't either

a. English
b. a lesbian
c. all of the above

Also, gently caress now I want to watch Bend it Like Beckham. It's been too long ...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

esperterra posted:

a. English
b. a lesbian
c. all of the above

Also, gently caress now I want to watch Bend it Like Beckham. It's been too long ...

Please tell me you watched Glow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Of course, I love women and wrestling and especially Allison Brie!

The wait for season 2 has already been too long.

e: Bend it Like Beckham isn't on Canadian Netflix and I am officially classifying this as a hate crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Mark Halperin (who sucks as a journalist) has been accused of sexually assaulting at least five women during his time as head of ABC News. Most people probably know him best as the author of Game Change, about the 2012 election, and the HBO adaption of the book starring Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin. Well, they were going to make another miniseries about the 2016 election based on another Halperin book, and it would've been the second worst thing ever, only behind the actual 2016 election itself. Well no more

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lycus posted:

The teaser seems to suggest it's the same filmmaker with a different crime, where the suspect is the opposite of Dylan, a golden boy/girl.

Looks like S1 was the Making a Murderer spoof and S2 is going to the the Jinx spoof.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

So Mark Halperin (who sucks as a journalist) has been accused of sexually assaulting at least five women during his time as head of ABC News. Most people probably know him best as the author of Game Change, about the 2012 election, and the HBO adaption of the book starring Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin. Well, they were going to make another miniseries about the 2016 election based on another Halperin book, and it would've been the second worst thing ever, only behind the actual 2016 election itself. Well no more

Well poo poo, how is Danny Strong gonna get his Emmys now?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zoux posted:

Cool now can somebody involved with Confederate get busted groping someone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The way it's going, probably.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Just as well, I’m going to need at least ten years before I can stand to look in that bullshit’s general direction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Just as well, I’m going to need at least ten years before I can stand to look in that bullshit’s general direction.

Yeah most of the reaction I saw to the proposed miniseries was "Why, God, no Why???"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

a. English
b. a lesbian
c. all of the above

Didn't she use her english accent in ER too? That's what I know her from.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JethroMcB posted:

Cool now can somebody involved with Confederate get busted groping someone

I'll let somebody touch my butt if we can avoid that thing making it ot the air.

I mean, nobody wants to, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I'll let somebody touch my butt if we can avoid that thing making it ot the air.

I mean, nobody wants to, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

"One day someone from the internet came up to me and begged him to, uh, touch his bottom. He said 'I believe in sacrifices for the greater good, and think that truly bad ideas can only be stopped with extraordinary measures.'

His name is IRQ, and he's now a writer on this season of Confederate."

:unsmigghh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean that would work fine too because I'd just write a massive slave revolt that swiftly topples whatever failed backwater state a CSA would have been and murder all the slaveholders and then the show ends with an hour long loop of richard spencer getting punched in the face.

And I'd get my butt touched :getin:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey remember when we were talking about Riverdale and somebody said it wasn’t as crazy this year and I thought that was nonsense? Well here’s a thing from 203 that I refuse to give context for.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I mean that would work fine too because I'd just write a massive slave revolt that swiftly topples whatever failed backwater state a CSA would have been and murder all the slaveholders and then the show ends with an hour long loop of richard spencer getting punched in the face.

And I'd get my butt touched :getin:

Would watch.

There's so many actually good stories of things that actually happened during the Civil War that haven't been told. Why are people making TV shows what-ifing Confederate States in 2017 when we could have a miniseries about Robert Smalls, perhaps one of the biggest badasses of all time?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Hey remember when we were talking about Riverdale and somebody said it wasn’t as crazy this year and I thought that was nonsense? Well here’s a thing from 203 that I refuse to give context for.

I didn't think that was crazy.

Besides, maybe they just really like Mortal Kombat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnn_Ssk4K1Y

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hoho if you thought streaming was immune to the panel post-show discussion show, think again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d39XqRMWlqg

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Would watch.

There's so many actually good stories of things that actually happened during the Civil War that haven't been told. Why are people making TV shows what-ifing Confederate States in 2017 when we could have a miniseries about Robert Smalls, perhaps one of the biggest badasses of all time?

Got dang that guy had balls of loving steel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Hoho if you thought streaming was immune to the panel post-show discussion show, think again

I’m not sure who, beyond the obsessed, is going to watch a discussion show that usually revolves around wondering what comes next when you could just watch what happens next...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That does sound perfect for a movie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

As far as Discussion Shows go though, that's a loving hell of a cast. It's usually just some regional comics, a blogger, and maybe ONE rotating producer/star/writer is on every week. Not every kid star, the producer, both the duffer brothers, AND the Dean from community. Not watching, but drat.

Channel Zero: No End House finale was pretty good. I didn't expect it to have the emotional punch that it did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I will watch literally anything Jim Rash is in.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Why what's going to happen (that hasn't already) if Confederate airs? Some people on the internet get cross?

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 27, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Why do bad things happen to medium people?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have not heard a coherent argument against the concept of Confederate from someone that wouldn't equally apply to The Man in the High Castle, except for who is specifically running the adaptation (which is an executional criticism, not a conceptual one). I have not. If you think that Benioff or Weiss can't do a good job, I would say that known terrible loving writer Chris Chibnall was able to write at least one (I've heard series three is quite good as well) season of a TV series whose central examination was on the proliferation of pedophilia and rape culture in small towns in Broadchurch, and Benioff and Weiss are much much much better than Chibnall. So literally anything could happen. It might not, it probably won't, but that's where the criticism lies. But unless you went to the loving barricades as hard against Man in the High Castle as you did for Confederate I'm gonna label you a hypocrite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is the main objection to Confederate coming from people who think the show discussing slavery and racism is therefore advocating them?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I have not heard a coherent argument against the concept of Confederate from someone that wouldn't equally apply to The Man in the High Castle, except for who is specifically running the adaptation (which is an executional criticism, not a conceptual one). I have not. If you think that Benioff or Weiss can't do a good job, I would say that known terrible loving writer Chris Chibnall was able to write at least one (I've heard series three is quite good as well) season of a TV series whose central examination was on the proliferation of pedophilia and rape culture in small towns in Broadchurch, and Benioff and Weiss are much much much better than Chibnall. So literally anything could happen. It might not, it probably won't, but that's where the criticism lies. But unless you went to the loving barricades as hard against Man in the High Castle as you did for Confederate I'm gonna label you a hypocrite.

Fair, imo.

I think there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of Confederate. Bad timing, maybe, in the current political climate.

My only real issue with the show is that D&D have more than proved they're not very subtle writers. But they very well could end up with a super good writer's room, so I'm holding any real judgment til the show airs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Is the main objection to Confederate coming from people who think the show discussing slavery and racism is therefore advocating them?

It's a confluence of that and GoT contrarian takes. It could go the other way but I'm gonna do something crazy and wait to see how it turns out

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some more details have emerged about Lin-Manuel Miranda's adaptation of the fantasy novel series The Kingkiller Chronicles. Its going to air on Showtime and will not actually be a straight adaptation of the novels but a prequel set in the same universe. So divorced from the terrible main character of the series it might actually be watchable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the idea is that if you present morally grey Confederate characters you end up giving a "hero" to those "I just want to take away the stigma from white supremacy" or just the general pro-Confederate folks.

Mostly I think its just a case of bad timing. If Hillary Clinton was the President this wouldn't be a thing. If it had happened a year before the Confederate flags started coming down it wouldn't be a thing. They're running the Confederacy show right in the middle of a time when people are really passionate on both sides and like people have actually died over it. So it comes off a little sketchy, and borderline opportunistic.

I don't think Man in the High Castle exactly translates the same way in America because like "Nazi's bad" is a basic social and political wall we have that is at least superficially holding. "Confederacy is bad" is not and is in fact something that your history book, neighbor, Senator, and President will dispute.

For what its worth I'm not screaming for the show to get cancelled either. I just feel iffy about it. But like I'm not going to criticize the show or its showrunners until they've actually done something worthy of criticizing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Man in the High Castle exactly translates the same way in America because like "Nazi's bad" is a basic social and political wall we have that is at least superficially holding.

I...don't agree with this at all.

quote:

For what its worth I'm not screaming for the show to get cancelled either. I just feel iffy about it. But like I'm not going to criticize the show or its showrunners until they've actually done something worthy of criticizing.

This is essentially my point. If your criticism is that the D's wouldn't be able to handle the material well, I respect that, but that's an executional criticism that relies on the subject that's being criticized to exist before criticism can exist. If your criticism is that the D's shouldn't be allowed to handle the material at all, that's conceptual, and it's where I part ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would imagine this show has been in some form of pre production since before the election, or at least before things got all crazy. It's just super unfortunate timing.

Should be interesting to see how it all pans out, especially if the show ends up being good.

• Locked thread