Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Only Shallow posted:

Everyone knows Angry Kirby Syndrome but don’t forget He-Man Syndrome where characters get redrawn to avoid exposing us fragile westerners to that evil anime stuff.

I'm probably alone in noticing there is way more nuanced detail and shading of the crotch area for the blonde sword dude on the right than on the left.

And now I'm not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Did that X68000 mATX PC chassis project ever get past the prototype stage? With a PCIe extender I'd be into that.

yeah it definitely needs to be a real thing, seen too many morons trashing real x68ks to hack a pc into, a crime that should be punishable by death imo

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
My DIY OSSC is working :toot:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

morons trashing real x68ks to hack a pc into

what.

what

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Did that X68000 mATX PC chassis project ever get past the prototype stage? With a PCIe extender I'd be into that.

I don't think it got off the ground. Don't quote me on that though. There was the Pi case though! Aheh...

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm probably alone in noticing there is way more nuanced detail and shading of the crotch area for the blonde sword dude on the right than on the left.

And now I'm not!

That's because I'm pretty sure the anime artist thought Chaz was a girl. Definitely one of those rare cases where the US box art is superior.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never forget:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
poo poo, I just want an X68k emulator that can re-record for TAS.

Also, dumb question from a dumb person: is there a way to emulate GBA games on a 3DS with a flashcart without hacking the console?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Funny that x68k chat has started up, I just got XM6 running again because I was feeling an itch to.

I wonder if a pi3 is powerful enough to emulate an x68k. I would love to make a little dedicated PC out of a pi and one of my 1702 monitors, ideally with a 3D printed proper case for the pi... :allears:

e. There seems to be a core available for retropie but I never did get it to work. I want more like XM6 though, I want to be able to power the pi on, and have it boot Human68k or whatever.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 26, 2017

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

falz posted:

Oh and the jaguar had a 68000cpu and some devs we're lazy and just used that

It's not that devs were lazy, it's that the console was a nightmare to develop for, thanks to some nasty hardware bugs and a serious lack of documentation or development tools. Most of your programming had to be done in assembly, and the memory controller was so hosed that you couldn't execute code out of system RAM. Apparently this could have been mitigated with better development tools, but since the console was basically DOA and Atari was hemorrhaging money left and right, no one ever bothered. :rip:

e: how about a console that doesn't suck

All New Sonic fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 26, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

All New Sonic posted:

It's not that devs were lazy, it's that the console was a nightmare to develop for, thanks to some nasty hardware bugs and a serious lack of documentation or development tools. Most of your programming had to be done in assembly, and the memory controller was so hosed that you couldn't execute code out of system RAM. Apparently this could have been mitigated with better development tools, but since the console was basically DOA and Atari was hemorrhaging money left and right, no one ever bothered. :rip:

Just use an SFC cart shell my dude

Will then work on American SNES systems as well

Do those converters even work with Star Fox and Super Mario RPG?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just use an SFC cart shell my dude

Will then work on American SNES systems as well

I think someone makes a SuperFX version out of gutted Stunt Race FX carts, don't they?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

All New Sonic posted:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes-cartridge-shell.html

Select Japanese/European style.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I just got the Super Famicom last week, so up until now I haven't had a need for an SFC-compatible shell. I'll probably get one eventually, but the converter works well enough so I'm not really in a hurry.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This one has the full complement of expansion pins, so yes. I kinda doubt any converters were made that didn't have them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I ordered an MC Cthulhu and it arrived yesterday. It's amazing. I put an rj45 (ethernet) jack on it and hacked up some extension cables for NES, SNES, PlayStation, Xbox, Dreamcast, and PC Engine and put RJ45 connectors on them. I put it in a Madcatz FightStick Pro Street Fighter X Tekken PS3 stick (all sanwa parts). Everything works great except the PC Engine (I have a Duo-R). The inputs on the PCE are all wonky. Up and down work fine but right also triggers II and left triggers Run. I found another forum post where someone ran into this issue on a tg16 using Japanese hu cards but using American ones it was fine. I only have a Duo-R and an everdrive so essentially all my games are seen as Japanese hu cards so I get the issue on all of them.

Other than the PCE woes I'm really impressed. The places where you have to solder stuff to the board are well spaced out, and the base for the stick I'm using has tons of space inside it for all of this stuff. Anyone on the fence about it, it's really easy and works great if you aren't using a PCE.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Star Man posted:

poo poo, I just want an X68k emulator that can re-record for TAS.

Also, dumb question from a dumb person: is there a way to emulate GBA games on a 3DS with a flashcart without hacking the console?

Nope. GBA on 3DS works by using Nintendo's own compatability layer (not emulation!) to downclock the embedded DS compatability built into the 3DS into GBA mode. Perfect performance, but it requires injecting GBA roms into the 3DS's VC interface and that requires softmodding.

That said, 3DS softmodding loving rules and you should do it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Miles McCloud posted:

That's because I'm pretty sure the anime artist thought Chaz was a girl. Definitely one of those rare cases where the US box art is superior.

were you dropped on your head as a child or :confused:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Nothing wrong with Vallejo's art, but I'd give the Japanese cover the edge just because of the neat looming Dark Force Falz Phallus in the background.

You know what beats both covers? The art on the back of the Japanese version.

http://fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/ps4box_jap.jpg

It's much more interesting in composition and gets across that this is a sci-fi RPG with androids and technology and a huge mechanical arm that I don't remember Rika actually using in the game but hey, it looks cool.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
PSA: Lube up your n64 analog sticks!

All of my old n64 sticks are loose now after a childhood of use. Turns out the plastic on these things are super cheap and; consequently, they will grind down after a while.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Suspect A posted:

Kinky. Tell me more.

On a completely different matter, did you guys know Atari 7800 models in France had proper RGB out and only in that territory? For years I've heard the old Ataris could only do composite at best. Never had any Atari in fact, not even the 2600, so today I decided to order a 7800 from France, boxed, 75€, four games, seemed like a good deal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wow, SÉCAM supremacy.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

are there any 3rd party gamecube controllers with better dpads?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

are there any 3rd party gamecube controllers with better dpads?

This thing?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking around for some bargains for cheap, interesting games and I just thought I'd leave this here:

(That's the real box.)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I never ran into problems with the GameCube d-pad. Yes, it's half the size of their previous d-pads, but it rolls really nice when you just place your thumb on it and rock it. Functionally similar to the Dreamcast pad, which I love.

At least Nintendo stuck with crosspads and didn't segment them (until the Switch).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The +-shaped D-pad was one of the best things Nintendo ever invented and I'm glad I can get one on the Switch via the Pro Controller. I understand why the Joycons don't have it but it's disappointing.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

Kinky. Tell me more.

On a completely different matter, did you guys know Atari 7800 models in France had proper RGB out and only in that territory? For years I've heard the old Ataris could only do composite at best. Never had any Atari in fact, not even the 2600, so today I decided to order a 7800 from France, boxed, 75€, four games, seemed like a good deal.

Hmm...you might want to look into what that's about some more, because I would bet it works the way the French NES does, by converting the composite video signal into an RGB-form signal. So it would be RGB with composite video quality; the conversion would just be to make it work better and be reliably supported by French TVs of the era.

Random Stranger posted:

Looking around for some bargains for cheap, interesting games and I just thought I'd leave this here:

(That's the real box.)

Oh yawn you finally caught up to my level :colbert: .

I got a copy with a bunch of other games from Japan way back. I think the box on mine is way more sun-faded and it still has the 3000 yen price sticker on it. I like to think that it spent the past two decades or so in a shop window in some dying rural Japanese village.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

This thing?

I like it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I never ran into problems with the GameCube d-pad. Yes, it's half the size of their previous d-pads, but it rolls really nice when you just place your thumb on it and rock it. Functionally similar to the Dreamcast pad, which I love.

strangely I've always liked the Dreamcast dpad but I've been playing game boy player stuff on my 'cube and tend to just use the analog stick because the dpad is not comfortable to me

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo, that Hori pad is selling for like $200 used

guess I'll dig out my old gba link cable and see how I like using the sp as a controller

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Hmm...you might want to look into what that's about some more, because I would bet it works the way the French NES does, by converting the composite video signal into an RGB-form signal. So it would be RGB with composite video quality; the conversion would just be to make it work better and be reliably supported by French TVs of the era.

I had looked into it because I was afraid it could be something like that, but people in Atari Age seem to believe it's the real thing.

This is supposedly a photo of the 7800 French motherboard where the RF part is removed and replaced by this board

It's listed as "rgb board C301645-001 REV B, V7021 chip, 4.4333618 crystal"

Some dude posted photos of his system using a HD9800 to convert the signal to VGA, which according to him is proof of it being true RGB. I've no idea how valid that claim is.

Of course this being a region specific system from decades ago in a place where barely anyone speaks English, there isn't any proper documentation and we are left with just a bunch of dudes on the Internet saying things which may not be right. I guess I'll find out how good or bad the quality actually is when it arrives.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 27, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

I had looked into it because I was afraid it could be something like that, but people in Atari Age seem to believe it's the real thing.

This is supposedly a photo of the 7800 French motherboard where the RF part is removed and replaced by this board

It's listed as "rgb board C301645-001 REV B, V7021 chip, 4.4333618 crystal"

Some dude posted photos of his system using a HD9800 to convert the signal to VGA, which according to him is proof of it being true RGB. I've no idea how valid that claim is.

Of course this being a region specific system from decades ago in a place where barely anyone speaks English, there isn't any proper documentation and we are left with just a bunch of dudes on the Internet saying things which may not be right. I guess I'll find out how good or bad the quality actually is when it arrives.

Hmm...I'm still skeptical that it's raw RGB rather than a degraded form of it derived from composite video (or internal luma/chroma signals ala S-Video, which would be better), but definitely report back when it arrives.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

univbee posted:

Wow, SÉCAM supremacy.

Meanwhile, Atari didn't think they'd sell enough Atari 2600s in France to make designing a SECAM TIA worthwhile. The TIA generated colors by varying chroma and luma like any other TV circuit. SECAM doesn't quite work the same way. The result...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Soulkilla16/status/923276158262800384

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please do not post gore photos

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile, Atari didn't think they'd sell enough Atari 2600s in France to make designing a SECAM TIA worthwhile. The TIA generated colors by varying chroma and luma like any other TV circuit. SECAM doesn't quite work the same way. The result...

Not Atari, per se, but this link shows the difference in color palette for a Russian Dendy clone, using a PAL and SECAM encoder:

http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,27910.msg1091380.html#msg1091380

A more meaningful example of how off things can look for games and hardware that aren't specifically designed for SECAM encoding:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=5070&start=15#p100870

So it kind of makes sense why RGB over SCART was so popular in Europe, because it bypasses all that color encoding and decoding nonsense used for broadcasting and backwards compatibility with B/W sets, and just displays a raw color video signal.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Suspect A posted:

All of my old n64 sticks are loose now after a childhood of use. Turns out the plastic on these things are super cheap and; consequently, they will grind down after a while.

Also when they do break buy new controllers from Japan. $20 Aus for near new condition.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

While I appreciate what the dude was going for... the Switch is literally a tablet with detachable controllers, and in fact uses an improved version of the chipset of one of the more popular Android tablets from a few years back. A Nintendo Switch replica to play all the retro games you want would just be grabbing one of those tablets and figuring out a way to mount on controller holders, or to snap it into a case/holder that can do that.

Getting a pi and a battery and screen setup seems like it's infinitely more hassle for a worse result here. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's certainly an interesting quirk.

I speak French but from poking around some French retro message boards there isn't any real information there that hasn't already been posted here, from what I can find.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Thank God the NESRGB exists so we can finally stop murdering PC10 and Vs. boards for their PPUs. :gonk:

Speaking of, an acquaintance is selling their spare single-monitor PC10 board along with a handful of (currently unknown) games for $300. I don't have a PlayChoice cab, but I could buy a JAMMA adapter for my Street Fighter II cab. Should I bite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Re: SECAM Atari 7800...

Here's one being used on a PAL LCD TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLA8NlK0kQ

It could be the TV, but interestingly enough, the screen does go black and white initially when the game starts up, and then kicks over to color.