Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Zo7ijWlz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Woah thanks for introducing me to this very dumb weird theory I had no idea existed

I mean he admitted as much and they don’t look alike. Andrew WK was invented by a marketing agency but then the current guy turned it into something else.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I mean he admitted as much and they don’t look alike. Andrew WK was invented by a marketing agency but then the current guy turned it into something else.

Invented by a marketing agency how? The guy's real name is Andrew Wilkes-Krier he's been called Andrew WK since elementary school, he's been playing music since starting piano lessons at age 4. His success is the same as most musicians.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There's the whole outgrowth of conspiracy theory where people think there's been dozens of Andrews WK and they're all like in a secret cave sworn to silence. It's the Miley is Dead of guys who have had poo poo thrown at them at the gathering.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s kinda true afaik but it’s more like W.K. has worked with a bunch of others to see that his persona was super successful and unique but turned into more of a him thing. Not really unlike pop singers but a lot more grounded. I could be entirely wrong.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ragle posted:

Invented by a marketing agency how? The guy's real name is Andrew Wilkes-Krier he's been called Andrew WK since elementary school, he's been playing music since starting piano lessons at age 4. His success is the same as most musicians.

I dunno man I read an interview and it was amusing, the story of it. Other than that it's a guy who plays a taco guitar, seems nice and genuine and I don't give a poo poo. :shrug:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

He definitely seems like the sort of dude who would encourage the conspiracy theories just for the fun of it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
steev mike is real, and strong, and he's my friend

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The weird thing about the "so and so musician is a is replacement" theories is it makes kinda sense for Paul mcCartney or early 2000s avril lavigne at the height of her fame that the industry has someone would want to milk as a cash cow as long as possible. But for andrew WK it requires a big over estimation of how much money there is in playing dumb party metal and living in a tour van.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 26, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

the second one. there was the first one who took the album cover photo from the first album and then there's this monkey.

lol i seriousanswered

When he first came out I thought it was a weird Dave Grohl side project persona.

Bill Posters posted:

lol in a good way.

Oh totally. I was bummed that I was out of country for the show he played here a week ago. Friend posted a pic of the taco guitar and I was like "I know the perfect forum to appreciate this"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

massive spider posted:

The weird thing about the "so and so musician is a is replacement" theories is it makes kinda sense for Paul mcCartney or early 2000s avril lavigne at the height of her fame that the industry has someone would want to milk as a cash cow as long as possible. But for andrew WK it requires a big over estimation of how much money there is in playing dumb party metal and living in a tour van.

I've never met anyone IRL who knows who Andrew WK is, let alone paid money towards WK Industries or whoever is swapping out these clones to reap their portion of what's probably like a 50k/year property.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s no great conspiracy you guys are overthinking this. This is very stupid music poo poo tho.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I get accused of being Gary Numan at least once a month so if there's a market for it then I'm in.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

also, i just saw the truly nightmare inducing part of that gif

look at the headstock of the “guitarist” he’s playing off of
MIDI is amazing! b e e p

byob historian fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

massive spider posted:

Lol wait they have one for Avril Lavigne too? And I thought the "Disney executive raped and killed Miley Cyrus and buried her in the desert and the replacement acts crazy to clue us in" rumor was the nuttiest.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Heath kicks rear end. All of the weirdo rockabilly country whatever dudes are wayyyy underrated.

Yup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLa0xjkt-ds

cis autodrag posted:

Lol wait they have one for Avril Lavigne too?

Yup
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39921209
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/may/15/avril-lavigne-melissa-cloning-conspiracy-theories

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol. In some people's worlds we are all dead and replaced by actors, huh.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YouTube comment posted:

Is there a song faster than this?

:lol:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:jerkbag:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

like either of them have ever seen a live band apart from clapton or bonnnnammmaassssaa (I can't remember how many loving Ns or Ms are in that name) at madison square garden

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

a few years back i saw testament with exodus and megadeth on one of those grampas of thrash tours and wound up hanging out in the smoke pit during testament's set because their amps were ungodly shrill

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That happens very very rarely

More often there's just mad volume issues and everything is just a muddy wall because the venue PA sucks

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's a smoke pit?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's probably weed but I first imagined a barbecue pit in the middle of a metal concert and was not displeased by the idea.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So something here is terrible music stuff:

I just made sure my wife wasn't coming upstairs for 40 mins because I wanted to listen to Foxtrot but didn't want anyone to know.

So pick any of:
1) the Genesis album Foxtrot
2) the fact that I was craving it
3) because the intro to the album is so good
4) criiiiiinge lyrics
5) the condition of the $1 record I haven't listened to in 12+ years
6) does the lyric "a flower?" even show up on this album?

Anyways I've bought 2 poo poo guitars in the last month thanks to the last thread: A green First Act ME-505 and a blue 3/4 scale Beaver Creek Acoustic. Both are fun to ham-fist so, mission accomplished I guess.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

6) does the lyric "a flower?" even show up on this album?

Yes, very quietly, eleven minutes into Supper's Ready.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

What's a smoke pit?

a lot of places have indoor smoking bans that include bars and music venues so they cordon off an outside area for smokers

Shugojin posted:

It's probably weed but I first imagined a barbecue pit in the middle of a metal concert and was not displeased by the idea.

it'd rule if someone wheeled in a barrel smoker in the middle of the mosh pit during soundcheck and after the concert's done everyone gets delicious ribs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a few years back i saw testament with exodus and megadeth on one of those grampas of thrash tours and wound up hanging out in the smoke pit during testament's set because their amps were ungodly shrill

I saw both Testament and Exodus open for King Diamond and both sounded like poo poo, King Diamond sounded good though. The only other bands I've heard live that sounded good in the metal genre were Saxon (opening for Motorhead) and Immortal. It's a shame, everything else has been an lesson is poo poo sound and hearing loss.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I saw Vehement (black metal from Southsea) play in a smallish venue/pub a few weeks ago and I've not heard anything as loud yet clear as that, except maybe Anaal Nathrakh. Anything less heavy in bigger places (Ill Nino in Bristol for example was an all-bongo mix, everyone else except the vocalist was inaudible) seems to just be bassmush.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
At one of the local venues (orpheum, dive bar with a stage) here in Tampa the sound guy is a death metal/grind core dude so that place always sounds surprisingly good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The only time I’ve ever actually been offended by a performers tone to the point of it ruining the show was some band playing single coil Jazzmasters into Mesa boogie rectifiers with the presence cranked at a level that annihilated ears like an ice pick aimed straight at 10k hz

Also Enter Shakari but Enter Shakari are just poo poo on every level so the tone wasn’t the most egregious thing.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 27, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That really needs a grip hole.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

This might be a bit of a late reply but this kind of "what IS music, maaan???" poo poo is dumb as hell... and therefore perfect for this thread!

This guy seems like he's the Henry Kaiser of drumming. As far as I can tell he's simply a talentless rear end in a top hat who tries to make you think he's really cutting edge and avant-garde because it's a lot harder to spend a whole afternoon learning the most basic things about your instrument than it is to just stampede onto a stage and scream "look at meeeeeee!!"

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://reverb.com/news/j-mascis-of-dinosaur-jr-to-sell-massive-lot-of-excess-gear-on-reverb/

who wants to spend a whole shitload of money on cool weird poo poo?

(I would if I had money, not even going to lie)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ryan adams' signature strat prototype has a mullet and a camaro

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hexwren posted:

ryan adams' signature strat prototype has a mullet and a camaro

hello new strat

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Les and Leo are both :wtc:ing in the great luthierie beyond

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I was digging through boxes of old poo poo recently and came across a VHS tape I bought from a music store in around 1999, probably six months after I first picked up a guitar. "In the Style Of The Greatest Guitar Riffs of All Time" was the name of the tape, and unfortunately it's not on youtube, but this one from the same guy is. This was probably the worst possible way to try to teach myself guitar. It came with tabs, but they were crammed on to a single sheet of paper small enough to fit inside a VHS sleeve. You couldn't have read them with a magnifying glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_Xt_D1wko&t=263s