Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:thunk:

:gay:

:swoon:

Edit: what a page topper!

https://twitter.com/CuteDogPlcs/status/923586795299799040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I ain’t your shock troop buddy. be better if you want our help

You say that like I’m not asking you to be side by side. Where you see condescension, I’m telling you “we’ve got something here.” If I’m not communicating that well, I apologize.

Kilroy posted:

If you want leftists to work with you, support some loving leftist causes.

This is incredibly patronizing and dismissive. gently caress you.

I’m from the labor movement. We support leftist causes. This is astounding.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh gently caress you guys, seriously. The Republicans elected loving Trump and you idiots are still so obsessed with ideological purity that you'd rather let another loving right-wing white supremacist win an election than hold your loving nose for five goddamn minutes. And you wonder why the left can't win loving elections.

Meanwhile the evangelicals and radical nationalists will march out lockstep for poo poo they want even if the guy they vote for is literally the antithesis of all of their purported beliefs.

There's a reason why the whole Republicans=march in lockstep Democrats=Circular firing range thing is an old joke.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Archonex posted:

Meanwhile the evangelicals and radical nationalists will march out lockstep for poo poo they want even if the guy they vote for is literally the antithesis of all of their purported beliefs.

There's a reason why the whole Republicans=march in lockstep Democrats=Circular firing range thing is an old joke.

Seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4

As true then as it is now

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It should be noted that the good work of governance is not particularly exciting and politicians that excite as much as room temp water and are nominally for the continued existence of the people of the Republic are worth supporting. Not the party or the government itself mind you, the people.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:yeah: Turning certain tax credits into a sort of UBI-lite is something I've been thinking about a lot lately and I'm glad to see that someone out there agrees with me. We should do the same for the standard deduction and possibly personal exemptions as well.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And you wonder why the left can't win loving elections.
...he says, while complaining that more leftists don't "hold their nose" and vote for people who aren't remotely leftist.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh gently caress you guys, seriously. The Republicans elected loving Trump and you idiots are still so obsessed with ideological purity that you'd rather let another loving right-wing white supremacist win an election than hold your loving nose for five goddamn minutes. And you wonder why the left can't win loving elections.

Because the center keeps running slaveowners?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Why should I vote for a Democrat who's almost as happy as Republicans to let my medical bills kill me?

If a Democrat actually runs with a message of helping those in need in an appreciable way then I'll vote for them. If they don't then no loving surprise they don't get votes

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 27, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why should I vote for Democrats when they're almost as happy as Republicans to let my medical bills kill me?

You shouldn't, assuming that's correct.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why should I vote for Democrats when they're almost as happy as Republicans to let my medical bills kill me?

Hold your loving nose for five minutes and vote for the party that continues to move further right

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why should I vote for Democrats when they're just as happy as Republicans to let my medical bills kill me?

Voting Rights
Civil Rights
Education
Infrastructure
National Parks
Clean Air
Clean Water
Clean Energy
Climate Change
Urban Development
Criminal Justice Reform
Drug decriminalization
Foreign policy
Business Regulation
Functional government
Not white supremacists

I could go on

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Neither republicans nor democrats can be trusted

They're both shambling corpses that have been parasitized by the wealthy elites.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theCalamity posted:

Hold your loving nose for five minutes and vote for the party that continues to move further right

I'm not sure "further right" accurately describes the current malaise.

white sauce posted:

Neither republicans nor democrats can be trusted

They're both shambling corpses that have been parasitized by the wealthy elites.

Yeah, this is more right than wrong.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not sure "further right" accurately describes the current malaise.

Hold your loving nose and vote for the party that is solidly center-right and has no inclination to moving left?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Look, the left is putting up some solid candidates in the lower levels, and it's awesome, because they're getting into the mix. They're gonna replace Centrist Retread #7 over time - not overnight.

These same leftists aren't winning primaries. The deck wasn't stacked against Perriello, but he went out there, and he didn't just go home. He endorsed Northam, and he showed up at the labor fed this past Saturday to get people stoked for Northam/Fairfax/Herring. There's people out here doing the work, and they're on your side, and I'm on your side, and the people I work with and work for are on your side. We all want better candidates, but we also don't want people who go out of their way to kill you, as opposed to people suddenly realizing you're going to die. I want better. You want better. Republicans winning don't make your chances better, they just make your life worse. I'm typing this in 2017, where living proof is coming at us every hour.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theCalamity posted:

Hold your loving nose and vote for the party that is solidly center-right and has no inclination to moving left?

The party is bad and broken, the answer is to seize it from those that perpetuate the injustice, we have to take one of them and I say we try the one that is nominally ok with people existing and minding their own business.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Look, the left is putting up some solid candidates in the lower levels, and it's awesome, because they're getting into the mix. They're gonna replace Centrist Retread #7 over time - not overnight.

This is important to internalize too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Seriously, I've spent the vast majority of the past year working various positions in the DOI and you're out of your loving mind if you think there's no difference between Democratic and Republican administrations

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you think that there's a massive population of leftists that constitute the main source of dems electoral issues, then you really need to take a break from online politics.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

These same leftists aren't winning primaries. The deck wasn't stacked against Perriello, but he went out there, and he didn't just go home. He endorsed Northam, and he showed up at the labor fed this past Saturday to get people stoked for Northam/Fairfax/Herring. There's people out here doing the work, and they're on your side, and I'm on your side, and the people I work with and work for are on your side. We all want better candidates, but we also don't want people who go out of their way to kill you, as opposed to people suddenly realizing you're going to die. I want better. You want better. Republicans winning don't make your chances better, they just make your life worse. I'm typing this in 2017, where living proof is coming at us every hour.
Hate to break it to you but the democrats are not going to turn left when you hold your nose and vote them in over and over

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Seriously, I've spent the vast majority of the past year working various positions in the DOI and you're out of your loving mind if you think there's no difference between Democratic and Republican administrations

As a US Marine that served under a republican and then a democratic president, I can tell you there was no difference between the two :shrug:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can scream endlessly into the void all you want, shame wont bring voters back to the democrats. We just had an election strategy based on going "look how bad he is? Do you want to be like him????" And it turns out that's a bad strategy when people either are voting in a private booth or just aren't voting.

As it turns out, lesser evil isn't a valid way to get out the vote, and all the charts and graphs in the world won't change that. Democrats need something actually appealing to attract people, and if not leftist policy, then what?

It's far easier to force a party to appeal to the voters than to force the voters to appeal to a party. The former naturally occurs by way of someone eventually realizing that they need a hook.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Weird how the centrist liberal argument in here is the same as in real life, when your go-to party is in shambles you blame other people for not compromising. A compromise has two sides and the democratic party hasn't given anything at all to the left. They are telling the left to eat poo poo and like it and you expect them to gobble it up

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why should I vote for a Democrat who's almost as happy as Republicans to let my medical bills kill me?

If a Democrat actually runs with a message of helping those in need in an appreciable way then I'll vote for them. If they don't then no loving surprise they don't get votes

Holy poo poo the Dems literally, to a wo/man resisted all Republican attempts to repeal the ACA this past year and if just ONE had been a Republican instead then literally millions would have been kicked off whatever little piece of insurance they had. A couple thousand New Hampshire voters deciding that yes, a Dem senator would be better better than the Republican literally saved the lives of thousands.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Who, exactly, are you talking to? Be specific. Because there are a lot of leftists here who do hold our noses for five minutes and vote for the lesser of two evils.

white sauce posted:

As a US Marine that served under a republican and then a democratic president, I can tell you there was no difference between the two :shrug:

I get the point you're making, and I agree with the broader theme that there isn't enough of a difference. But as someone who has worked in arms control for years, I can tell you that there actually is a difference. It should be a greater difference, but still, it's there and it's really important.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 27, 2017

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Holy poo poo the Dems literally, to a wo/man resisted all Republican attempts to repeal the ACA this past year and if just ONE had been a Republican instead then literally millions would have been kicked off whatever little piece of insurance they had. A couple thousand New Hampshire voters deciding that yes, a Dem senator would be better better than the Republican literally saved the lives of thousands.
Wanna know something crazy? If the dems hadn't pushed Hillary at the expense of down-ticket races you wouldn't even be worried about this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Poor Heilman...

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Weird how the centrist liberal argument in here is the same as in real life, when your go-to party is in shambles you blame other people for not compromising. A compromise has two sides and the democratic party hasn't given anything at all to the left. They are telling the left to eat poo poo and like it and you expect them to gobble it up

Is that what i said?

I’m working toward less bad here. I don’t understand what appears to be an insistence upon all or nothing. That isn’t helping anyone, honestly. I’m not sure what, or who, it serves. Is it really better to do nothing? Is that the play?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Motto posted:

If you think that there's a massive population of leftists that constitute the main source of dems electoral issues, then you really need to take a break from online politics.

The population at large is consistently to the left of the democratic party on issues like healthcare, at the very least. If they weren't a hollowed out corrupt shell of a party and pursued things like UHC in good faith, a large amount of people who stayed home in the last election would probably have come out to vote for them.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

tekz posted:

The population at large is consistently to the left of the democratic party on issues like healthcare, at the very least. If they weren't a hollowed out corrupt shell of a party and pursued things like UHC in good faith, a large amount of people who stayed home in the last election would probably have come out to vote for them.

And now it’s 2017. What are you doing to achieve those aims?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Is that what i said?

I’m working toward less bad here. I don’t understand what appears to be an insistence upon all or nothing. That isn’t helping anyone, honestly. I’m not sure what, or who, it serves. Is it really better to do nothing? Is that the play?

Bro people are too busy trying not to be destitute to pay attention to the millionaire circus that are elections

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

This is a really important post. Unions have only recently won the right to unionize employees misclassified as temp workers, and still are struggling for "independent contractors". This is the 21st century labor fight in a nutshell.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Is that what i said?

I mean it's kinda rich to pretend like it's a matter of "all or nothing" when the dems largely can't even manage to give "something."

Why are leftists, and only leftists, expected to compromise? Because that's what the loving line has been for over a drat year now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Voting Rights
Civil Rights
Education
Infrastructure
National Parks
Clean Air
Clean Water
Clean Energy
Climate Change
Urban Development
Criminal Justice Reform
Drug decriminalization
Foreign policy
Business Regulation
Functional government
Not white supremacists

I could go on
90% of that happened when boomers were children. Ever heard of the expression. So what have you done for me lately.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And now it’s 2017. What are you doing to achieve those aims?

If it makes you feel better, C-spam crossposters ITT are quite likely active on the local stage. They also had a major DSA recruitment drive and encourage donations towards left candidates.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you’re not gonna vote, then find the bluest seat you can find and steal it.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Is that what i said?

Is that what I said?

For you it appears the only action to take is to support your less bad politicians as if there are no options on the left at all. You've resigned yourself to your own circular worldview that the only possible alternative to Trump (who won because he was a fringe "not possible" candidate) is establishment trash. That is the reason the party is in the state it is in, the outright refusal to change.

It's great you work for labor unions but don't pretend that's all the left has in direct action. It's nonsense and you know it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Majorian posted:

Who, exactly, are you talking to? Be specific. Because there are a lot of leftists here who do hold our noses for five minutes and vote for the lesser of two evils.

I mean it was Kilroy and Rask, mostly, as it's just so frustrating to see someone like Fancy who's putting in a ton of work on the ground get poo poo on. I mean, look, I get it-the Democratic Party is an absolute trash fire in a lot of ways, and I can understand the concerns-and if this was a primary, then by all means, let the Dems have it. But this isn't a primary, it's a general, and the choice between the parties right now could not be more stark. I've got a friend in Puerto Rico who doesn't have power. I'm doing work for agencies that are dying under budget cuts and hiring freeze. The idea that people are still arguing that the Dems are just as bad as the Republicans is just absolutely baffling, and the continued ideological obstinance by some-not all, certainly not all-to is utterly frustrating as all hell.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 27, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Anyways, even if shaming worked (it doesn't), the vast majority of posters in here voted D in the GE, so you're barking up the wrong tree if your goal is to enlighten people on lesserevilism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean it was Kilroy and Rask, mostly, as it's just so frustrating to see someone like Fancy who's putting in a ton of work on the ground get poo poo on. I mean, look, I get it-the Democratic Party is an absolute trash fire in a lot of ways, and I can understand the concerns-and if this was a primary, then by all means, let the Dems have it. But this isn't a primary, it's a general, and the choice between the parties right now could not be more stark. I've got a friend in Puerto Rico who doesn't have power. I'm doing work for agencies that are dying under budget cuts and hiring freeze. The idea that people are still arguing that the Dems are just as bad as the Republicans is just absolutely baffling, and the refusal by some-not all, certainly not all-is utterly frustrating as all hell.

Democrats aren't the same as Republicans. They are worse

• Locked thread