Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

psydude posted:

Yep. Contractor position, but you'd get a diplomatic passport.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Yep. Contractor position, but you'd get a diplomatic passport.

Hit me up in PMs. I'll give you my email and you can send me some more info there.

Be advised I'm not going to Libya though, anywhere that's close to a hot shithole can gently caress off. If I can go to the US Embassy in Tokyo or SK i'd be down though. Probably get nuked by NK but eh gently caress it we're all gonna die someday.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I pm'd but it might be a stretch for me. I'll go to loving Libya.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

If any of you nerds are junior-mid level IT people and want to live overseas for a few years working at US embassies in APAC under diplomatic visa, I have a connection. Salary is OK, but it's all tax free and you get paid relocation, free housing, and a poo poo ton of PTO and holidays. You'd have to get a State Department TS clearance (yes, even if you already have a DoD TS).

does it cover burial expenses

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Hit me up in PMs. I'll give you my email and you can send me some more info there.

Be advised I'm not going to Libya though, anywhere that's close to a hot shithole can gently caress off. If I can go to the US Embassy in Tokyo or SK i'd be down though. Probably get nuked by NK but eh gently caress it we're all gonna die someday.

Cool, I'll shoot you some info in a bit. First tour would be in Beijing or one of the consulates in China. Subsequent tours are at the regional embassies and consulates.

I'm in Tokyo right now and they're all scared shitless of the North Korea situation. Not so much the nukes, but of the Norks going Stuxnet on their entire manufacturing and energy sector.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

does it cover burial expenses

That's what the TSP is for

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

That's what the TSP is for

Speaking of TSP, what did y'all roll your TSP over to when you got out? I was thinking of rolling over my funds to USAA (since I already have them for insurance) for a Traditional IRA and put it in one of the Date Target Retirement funds like I had my money in for TSP. Figure when my skeleton kills me, it should be able to have a good retirement.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

imam going to stick my dick in stupid and get a jeep wrangler soft top because I love getting hosed.

still got a few months to decide whenever I want it.....

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
drat dude how enlisted can you get?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

drat dude how enlisted can you get?

I still haven't married a Filipino stripper, so lots of wiggle room I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

never gonna buy another jeep in my lifetime

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ElMaligno posted:

imam going to stick my dick in stupid and get a jeep wrangler soft top because I love getting hosed.

Don't. Really do not do this. Your first clue about how wrong this is will be at the dealer. They will have a '3000-5000 premium' markup on the sticker. Good luck trying to talk them down on that because there are a million retards who still huff jeep farts and will pay it.

The jeep wranger I had cost me around $8000 in repairs over several broken things. A computer, a steerage link, rotors because the brakes fell apart at 15k miles, and a few other smaller things I forced out of memory. I never got it over 38k miles.

Oh and when I took it in for a trade in, it was popping out of 1st gear when starting to move at a green light. That would have been another few grand to repair.

edit : if you ~really~ want a loving jeep get one that was made in the 80s and restore it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

its ok im looking at foresters now, crisis slightly adverted.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That's part of the mystique

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I rented a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to DC last week. It wasn’t bad.

The automatic engine cutoff is loving annoying though and I don’t think there’s a way to have it off by default, so you have to remember to press the button every time you turn it on or else you’ll feel like you’re misfiring at every red light.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am marinating/slow cooking some chicken w/ garlic and other things in preparation to make garlic chicken calzones w/ cauliflower crust. It smells so delicious right now in my apartment.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

We've got two state/national holidays Tuesday and Wednesday, and since the entirety of BMW is basically going into hibernation, i got off for Monday and was asked to "work from home" for Thursday and Friday. My boss then reiterated that I should make sure to remember I was not allowed to take my laptop home due to ITsec regs. :)

Gonna see if I'll fire up the smoker with a couple of friends for the first time since coming back from the US.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

Newer than 2003 and you're good to go

Or just avoid the 2.5 and stick with a 2.2

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm finally forcing myself to learn to drive a manual :negative:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where is Booblord?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

whys that? just curious, since living in new england means at some point i will own a subaru

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Where'd you put on your shopping list?

I have a Forester now and I love it-should be great for this coming winter in Boston, though I feel like I need to have a few kids or a couple of dogs to do it justice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cowboy elvis posted:

Where is Booblord?

Dying of child-induced sleep deprivation

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

The 2.5 had a timing belt up until '09 or so.

The 2.5 is known for snapping timing belts and loving up heads (usually beyond the recommended mileage). Also head gaskets are practically a wear item. The newer engines have timing gears and better gaskets.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I bought the wife a fully loaded Forester, it’s got a CVT automatic, and all that eyesight stuff.

It’s gonna be expensive as gently caress to fix once it’s older.

I have never heard good things about CVT’s durability.

Nice vehicle though. Heated seats are nice in the winter.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of TSP, what did y'all roll your TSP over to when you got out? I was thinking of rolling over my funds to USAA (since I already have them for insurance) for a Traditional IRA and put it in one of the Date Target Retirement funds like I had my money in for TSP. Figure when my skeleton kills me, it should be able to have a good retirement.
Why would you pull it out? TSP has the lowest fees of anyone. If you really want to do a rollover, go Vanguard.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I had a 08 Forester Sport with cloth seats, and it was a great car.

Unloaded it in January at 115k which is when the entire front and top end have to be replaced.

Seats sucked for long trips after a while though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwiniwn posted:

Where'd you put on your shopping list?

I have a Forester now and I love it-should be great for this coming winter in Boston, though I feel like I need to have a few kids or a couple of dogs to do it justice.

Novato, San Diego, Seattle, New York city, Philadelphia, Wilmington nc and Warrenton or.

All sectors SU picks, except Novato is for MCD west and one pick in Philly that's for OU.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whys that? just curious, since living in new england means at some point i will own a subaru

Like crusty(forgot his original name) said, head gaskets. I think it was 96-99 would leak exhaust gas into the coolant, and 00-03 or 04 would leak oil into coolant without their special coolant conditioner. It was mostly sorted out by 04 and beyond 09 I think there's virtually no issues. Upgrading to MLS gaskets from the turbo models was claimed to fix the issue.

I owned a 99 outback for about 8 years. It blew a head gasket in the middle of Wyoming my first week of owning it while driving to Washington from Michigan, then blew another one back in 2014 or so before I got rid of it. Salt belt rot was also starting to take its toll on everything on it at that point, as the car was from Michigan originally. The guy I sold it to said he was dropping a 2.2 in it to sell it off.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 26, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

Novato, San Diego, Seattle, New York city, Philadelphia, Wilmington nc and Warrenton or.

All sectors SU picks, except Novato is for MCD west and one pick in Philly that's for OU.

Hey if you get Seattle I can fill you up with crabs!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey if you get Seattle I can fill you up with crabs!

I get the same feeling as the "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I rented a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to DC last week. It wasn’t bad.

Where I grew up the Grand Cherokees are gradually replacing the Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols. No one is complaining about reliability and they offroad like pure madness.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

I get the same feeling as the "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see"

That would actually be “ fill crabs up with you”.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Do you really need an all wheel drive for any of those places? I can get Seattle or Oregon, but you won’t be driving much in NYC and the other places I wouldn’t think so. The new foresters get decent gas mileage, but then you have to worry about rotating the tires all the time and everything else that comes with AWD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ElMaligno posted:

Don't buy a new one. I say this as someone who did so in 2012, and it's the least reliable vehicle I've owned, except for the shitheap I bought in college. I'm waiting for my 4th warranty replacement radiator, my heater core is clogged (again) with poo poo leftover because the factory didn't properly clean out the engine blocks prior to assembly, my cruise control hasn't worked since just outside the 3/36k warranty (at 108k now) despite being replaced four times, and they have notoriously bad ball joints that somehow I haven't had to replace yet. But hey, it's almost paid off!

Get a TJ or YJ with a 4.0, drive it until the head cracks at 300,000k then dump an old Chevy 350 in it for $500 and drive another half million miles.

Chrysler also has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with, and I've owned three Fords.

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you're going to leave it alone, there's no reason to move it at all.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

Like crusty(forgot his original name) said, head gaskets. I think it was 96-99 would leak exhaust gas into the coolant, and 00-03 or 04 would leak oil into coolant without their special coolant conditioner. It was mostly sorted out by 04 and beyond 09 I think there's virtually no issues. Upgrading to MLS gaskets from the turbo models was claimed to fix the issue.

Also, if you had a turbo anything but wrx/sti from '03-06ish, there was a small fine metal screen in the turbo oil supply line. There was a recall about it, because it'd clog with poo poo and starve the turbo of oil.

I had an '05 Baja Turbo 5spd. Should've never traded it off. Also a '97 Impreza, but that workhorse was traded off for the Baja when the clutch finally poo poo the bed around 180k miles.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nwiniwn posted:

Do you really need an all wheel drive for any of those places? I can get Seattle or Oregon, but you won’t be driving much in NYC and the other places I wouldn’t think so. The new foresters get decent gas mileage, but then you have to worry about rotating the tires all the time and everything else that comes with AWD.

4wd/awd is for pussies

drive rwd in blizzards errday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

If you're going to leave it alone, there's no reason to move it at all.

I talked to a former Navy guy who said he hadn't checked his TSP account in years and thought it must have grown significantly by now; then he told me he had put everything in the G fund.

Can you mess with funding allocation after you separate or is it completely hands-off?

• Locked thread