Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ojjeorago posted:

Does anyone have an answer for this? Wanna relisten to nut squad.

MBMBaM 349- Face 2 Face: Remembering How to Do Live Shows in Portland at 1:04:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuTBpP7ihY&t=3868s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel bad but watching bits of awful squad just reminds me how NOT-funny I find Travis. Like, unless it comes full circle and he's annoying other people to the point it's funny or if someone makes fun of whatever bad joke or forced pun he's making.
I guess it's a middle brother/theatre kid thing but sometimes it's like he's gotta hear himself

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I don't actively dislike Travis or anything, but he's at his absolute best when he's being dunked on for his very bad advice, or his really reaching "Is it possible" takes. His mango cult is one of my favorite bits because he said basically the most insane thing he could've said in the moment, and instead of trying to correct course, he leaned into it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Travis is definitely my least favorite brother but to his credit for every 3 or 4 jokes that falls completely flat there's always one absolutely phenomenal joke.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Travis is my least favorite comedian of the three, but one of my favorite personalities and crucial to the team.

Basically, he's their Ringo.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Travis always really shines at the live shows. Justin zones out or does prepared bits like munch squad and/or haunted doll watch. Griffin, bless him, stresses about the quality of the show a lot or makes awkward body jokes. Yes Griffin, you have IBS, we all know. Travis is always very quick witted and plays well to the audience. Basically any time there's an awkward audience question, it's Travis who saves it.

Asiina fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 27, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yah, I don't dislike him, he's a cool likable dude and his role on classic MBMBAM is as indispensable as any of the other 2
maybe this is why i listen to more just Polygon content now though

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Is it not just Justin and Griffin who completely miss it when Travis regularly says the funniest thing in the episode?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I have to restrain myself from piling on whenever people get annoyed with Travis because I know people appreciate his earnestness. But yeah, Travis is not that funny except for that one joke an episode.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I have to restrain myself from piling on whenever people get annoyed with Travis because I know people appreciate his earnestness. But yeah, Travis is not that funny except for that one joke an episode.

But its one hell of a joke usually

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
Travis always has that one killer line (or multiple for live shows) but where the worst of Travis comes out is his twitter account.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

A Moose posted:

But its one hell of a joke usually

Let me touch it

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Travis is the third heat. It’s easy to imagine MBMBAM would be a lot more cynical and poorer overall without him.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Travis works best as a straight man. He isn't the funniest brother but he absolutely helps Justin and Griffin be much funnier.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Travis is the catalyst that allows the other brothers to be funnier, he usually brings at least one amazing joke to the table, and he shines in live settings. Also, out of the three brothers I most want to be friends with him.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bits that exist explicitly because of Travis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX42e1gOOFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6aGsxoJuNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuEtAyTPtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BdQ25mFpJQ

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

remember that time that travis invented a theology around mangos?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if you're not sold on Travis, check out their @midnight episode. He completely dominated and is hilarious. Dude is made for comedy game shows.

I agree he's probably the brother that relies on the others more, but most classic bits really do hinge on his presence. Without him their content would definitely suffer.

Thank Travis for Travis, basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Travis is a support jokester. The stuff he does solo is kinda weak, but he's a complete master of taking something someone else said and springboarding off that into a great joke. He's the healer of the Joke Trio.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

*extremely wise voice* thank travis for travis

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

well why not posted:

if you're not sold on Travis, check out their @midnight episode. He completely dominated and is hilarious. Dude is made for comedy game shows.

I agree he's probably the brother that relies on the others more, but most classic bits really do hinge on his presence. Without him their content would definitely suffer.

I need to watch it either way, but I thought @midnight had a team of writers.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

gently caress griffin, marry justin, kill travis

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
travis is a good boy :shobon:

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010
travis was one of the best parts of the tv show

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I remembered I want to watch the @midnight show and now it's not available anywhere, licensing bullshit stinks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Travis is the weirdest brother mostly because it feels like he can sense my thoughts. Just when I've felt like he's reached peak annoyance, it's like he realizes and either drops a fantastic joke or lays the groundwork for one. It's amazing, and it's that quality I've come to respect him for.

Also whoever pointed out his skill in the live shows is spot on. That hadn't really registered with me until you pointed it out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
travis chickening out on the "ALF eats pussy" joke in the most recent non-live episode was bullshit

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Get the McElroy bros on Wait Wait or You're The Expert

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

well why not posted:

Yeah, he dominates on @midnight because the format helps him play to his strengths of "Say the first thing that comes to mind" and "Say everything you can think of and hope something sticks". I remember laughing more at Justin's jokes (see point 2), but Travis was fully in his element there. I was surprised how much Griffin seemed at a disadvantage. I think he was very nervous.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Chris Hardwick feeds on the energy of millennials using little mouths on his palms, and as a 30 under 30 media luminary, Griffin is a powerful source of millennial energy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like all the brothers equally, if only because my brain is pretty bad at compartmentalizing podcast personalities / keeping names to voices straight unless I'm actively trying. I can set Griffin apart though as a result of him DMing Adventure Zone and watching some of the Polygon stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was pretty quick to differentiate the bros but for the life of me I can not tell the hosts of the Polygon Show apart, except maybe Allegra. Her voice definitely has a smokier quality to it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I need to watch it either way, but I thought @midnight had a team of writers.

Jordan Morris of JJGO was on the writing staff for several years, so he's let slip some details of the process over the last, I dunno, 200 Podcasts.
From what I gather, contestants worked with assigned writer/s to write/workshop answers that suit their personal style, but were free to improvise responses during recording. So yes, responses can be scripted but aren't necessarily.

From what I understand this is a pretty common practice for panel shows, etc.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I love all my boys equally

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

misadventurous posted:

I love all my boys equally

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the problem is that any of the non brothers podcasts Travis is on are incredibly boring

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Crocoswine posted:

the problem is that any of the non brothers podcasts Travis is on are incredibly boring

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Crocoswine posted:

I've enjoyed Trends Like These the couple of times I've dipped in.

We've been bitching about how terrible podcast ads are. I've been listening to Casefiles, an Australian true crimes podcast, which has a big big audience. The latest episodes have ads for two major Hollywood revenge-movie releases, whose titles I cannot remember because brainsieve. We'll know the McElroys have hit mainstream when MBMBaM or TAZ get ads for comedies or SF.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I just remember listening to the Sawbones ep about shootings and then, for god knows what reason, followed it up with the Bunker Buddies episode about guns, and that left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth.

(bunker buddies ep was decidedly pro-gun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well yeah
Bunker Buddies was a bad show co hosted by an incompetent